Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The thermal generator modules for both the Cyclops and PRAWN suit are phenomenally useful. Definitely fast track them.

It means that, worst case scenario, you only have to have ONE full set of backup power cells :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The thermal generator modules for both the Cyclops and PRAWN suit are phenomenally useful. Definitely fast track them.

It means that, worst case scenario, you only have to have ONE full set of backup power cells :shepface:

I was in the lethal lava land, I set up a base there and fully recharged the 2 sets of cells I have for the cyclops and within 30 seconds of putting the powercells in the power was dropped by 20%.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Don’t use silent running all the time!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Don’t use silent running all the time!

That's just it. The power drain isn't from silent running, I don't even run with silent running most of the time because it drains too much energy.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

SugarAddict posted:

That's just it. The power drain isn't from silent running, I don't even run with silent running most of the time because it drains too much energy.

Did you...never craft the efficiency module?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

SugarAddict posted:

I was in the lethal lava land, I set up a base there and fully recharged the 2 sets of cells I have for the cyclops and within 30 seconds of putting the powercells in the power was dropped by 20%.

If you're where I think you are, you might want to grab a knife or other questionably lethal device and have a good look around the outside of your submarine.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ardeem posted:

If you're where I think you are, you might want to grab a knife or other questionably lethal device and have a good look around the outside of your submarine.

I have to jump out with the knife every 60 seconds or so to kill the things, and that takes too long, just flicking the shield throws them off for about a minute though.

Aoi posted:

Did you...never craft the efficiency module?

I had the efficiency module long before I made the cyclops. And yes it does have the efficiency module.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

I had the efficiency module long before I made the cyclops. And yes it does have the efficiency module.

I don’t think it ever says this anywhere, but they stack effects if you’ve got more than 1.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Pretty sure they dont.

e: even the wiki states they do not stack

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:confused: in-game the numbers always changed for me by adding more. Might be a mod though, I’m running a ton and barely remember what vanilla looks like anymore.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lavaland+no batteries says to me that he's got the power leeches on his ship

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A slightly more fiddly way of removing or bypassing leeches is to pull out all your batteries whenever you stop, making them detach. But yea, the knife is the long-term solution. I don't think they respawn, do they?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I think they changed the game to make all creatures respawn?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just turn the shield on for a moment, if you have it, and it'll clear them all instantly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
But the shield doesn't kill them, they just detach and will happily swim back and clamp on if allowed to. If you're parking the cyclops to go mine blue crystals or whatever, you'd want a more permanent solution.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm completely willing to admit this is because my brain is broken, But my biggest complaint about the original subnautica is always going to be that there wasn't a way to dock your Cyclops to your base.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm completely willing to admit this is because my brain is broken, But my biggest complaint about the original subnautica is always going to be that there wasn't a way to dock your Cyclops to your base.

I believe there's a nice mod for that.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I believe there's a nice mod for that.

Last I heard, since the last major update, the mods haven't updated to work with the latest version yet. I could be wrong.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Its been recently updated.
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/554?tab=description

If you go here and sort by last updated, you'll find a good chunk that work now.
Just make sure they mention installing BepInEx first like the Cyclops dock does and not the mod load manager.
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/?BH=20

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 3, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Subnautica on sale on the Switch for under $10
BZ $12.59
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/subnautica-switch/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/subnautica-below-zero-switch/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Heh...switchnautica

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Heh...switchnautica

I played both on Switch and they're perfectly serviceable if you don't have another way to play them. BZ used to crash a lot but they've updated it a bunch of times.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just can’t imagine playing without any mods. The price seems good though.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Coming back to this game every couple of years, I still keep well-away from the rear of the Aurora. I’ll never forget the first time I heard that roar behind me while wearing headphones.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I played both on Switch and they're perfectly serviceable if you don't have another way to play them. BZ used to crash a lot but they've updated it a bunch of times.

I'm not laughing at the platform just the pun

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

I think it was the composer, Simon Chylinski, that got fired for being a racist and turbo-transphobe. The lead writer, Tom Jubert, left to work for a smaller indie studio and is pretty cool and also worked on FTL.

Which sucks, because I think the soundtrack is probably top 10 best soundtracks of all time. Below Zero has a pretty drat good soundtrack as well, but I don't think top 10.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Which sucks, because I think the soundtrack is probably top 10 best soundtracks of all time. Below Zero has a pretty drat good soundtrack as well, but I don't think top 10.

The Subnautica OST is amazing and beautiful and one of my favourites and I'll never buy it because gently caress that guy.

I hate that I love his work so much, but :shrug:

Meanwhile, I have Ben Prunty's FTL ost permanently burned into my brain but his BZ one hasn't really stuck with me yet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BZ’s soundtrack had some drat good music to it too. The music around the icebergs and in the crystal caves was turned those areas into an experience.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Subnautica OST is amazing and beautiful and one of my favourites and I'll never buy it because gently caress that guy.

I hate that I love his work so much, but :shrug:

Meanwhile, I have Ben Prunty's FTL ost permanently burned into my brain but his BZ one hasn't really stuck with me yet.

magically, the soundtrack just appeared in my iTunes library but I didn't pay for it since gently caress nazi's. I should listen to the Below zero soundtrack again though.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Is there anything else like Subnautica? I'm considering doing another run since the update that integrated some of the BZ stuff, but also feel I've mostly extracted the fun from both titles at this point.

The problem is I don't even know what to search for because I can't pinpoint exactly why I love them or what makes these games so much better then the million other open-world-survival-craft titles out there.

The underwater "atmosphere" plays a huge role, but you could probably replicate that without the underwater part? The animations are really good obviously. Performance is decent now but I still played and enjoyed when it was dog poo poo in EA so that's not really it. The world building with the audio logs is pretty good, but I don't feel the overall story is anything special? Is it the map/exploration? It feels like that might be the "killer" ingredient?

I wouldn't normally care about trying to "chop up the bits" to extract some sort of formula for a game I enjoyed but I sort of need to in order to attempt to find something else that scratches that same itch....

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's been a lot of games which shameless stole parts from where inspired by Subnautica, but I don't think anyone's gone the whole hog in trying to replicate it. Lotsa games either chuck in combat and/or wallowing in the mud, which ruins the vibe.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does Hardspace: Shipbreaker appeal to you? You're a space blue-collar worker with a dangerous job, it could be set in the same universe as Subnautica, but it all happens in the vacuum of space rather than underwater.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Chamale posted:

Does Hardspace: Shipbreaker appeal to you? You're a space blue-collar worker with a dangerous job, it could be set in the same universe as Subnautica, but it all happens in the vacuum of space rather than underwater.

I tried this one, but I can’t get past the country drawl. It just grates on me. I’ve seen it praised elsewhere on these forums and Discord, but I just cannot do it.

The premise sounds cool, at least. Like you’re one of the poor bastards in the first StarCraft’s intro trying to salvage a ship, except minus the whole “Protoss appear and annihilate your ship/glass the planet below” :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xik posted:

Is there anything else like Subnautica? I'm considering doing another run since the update that integrated some of the BZ stuff, but also feel I've mostly extracted the fun from both titles at this point.

Short answer, no. Long answer gets complicated and mostly depends on what you liked about Subnautica.

I think the thing people bring up most is Outer Wilds, since it's also about exploration and no real combat. Except it's much more specifically about solving a mystery and has both lower detail graphics and a wackier feel. No basebuilding, very little in the way of survival elements.

On the flipside, most survival/crafting/basebuilding games out there can sometimes feel a bit moot on exploration because they're often randomly generated and that takes the wind out of your sails a bit. Astroneer is pretty, Don't Starve has a lot more of the "harsh world" going for it, No Man Sky is...what it is.

If you like the pretty ocean, there's Abzu and I guess Endless Ocean if you're into emulation. They're very, very chill though. There's a lot of mostly chill and cute games out there focused on wandering around and exploring without combat, my favorite is A Short Hike, the biggest recent one is Spiritfarer, there's a bunch like Journey and AER, but if that's not the attitude you're looking for, you're gonna be left wanting, and the lack of crunch may make things seem shallow. I guess on the more foreboding end of things there's FAR: Lone Sails or Inside. On the more outright ugly indie horror end there's Scavenger SV-4 and Iron Lung.

Going much broader than that, you'd maybe want to just give up on the noncombat aspect and just figure out what kind of combat you'd like to have when either exploring or taking in wonders. Maybe Bugsnax, that's a whole interesting thing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Raft is the closest thing I have found that feels like Subnautica.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

As someone who easily will play both games every 45 days or so, there isnt much like it.
Along with some of the other games mentioned, Beyond Blue is kind of like the swimming and scanning part, but little else.
If you want to try it wait for a big discount, because its not much more than just swimming and scanning.
Looks nice though. I should play it more.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/883360/Beyond_Blue/
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/beyondblue/info/

On a side note, concerning the cyclops.

I swear the game always knows when I have scanned all of the cyclops.
My recent game the other day I had it all scanned before going into the Aurora and found 2 engine parts in the bay that you take that angle down.
Every single time

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 2, 2023

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oasx posted:

Raft is the closest thing I have found that feels like Subnautica.

I really like Raft. And it's much better with a friend.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all the suggestions, none seem like they have the same vibe though. Hardspace: Shipbreaker was on my wishlist for a while but dropped off after Breathedge soured me on the whole "spacesuit around in zero g" thing. Astroneer already has dozens of hours of playtime and No Mans Sky has hundreds. I have Raft but haven't played since EA and enjoyed it enough but the survival clocks were too aggressive, maybe that's been balanced since?

Thinking about it, base building is a non-optional component. Base building feels like the primary creative outlet and a core element of the progression system. So much so that I'm actually not convinced I would even like Subnautica without it.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Xik posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, none seem like they have the same vibe though. Hardspace: Shipbreaker was on my wishlist for a while but dropped off after Breathedge soured me on the whole "spacesuit around in zero g" thing. Astroneer already has dozens of hours of playtime and No Mans Sky has hundreds. I have Raft but haven't played since EA and enjoyed it enough but the survival clocks were too aggressive, maybe that's been balanced since?

Thinking about it, base building is a non-optional component. Base building feels like the primary creative outlet and a core element of the progression system. So much so that I'm actually not convinced I would even like Subnautica without it.

Base building is very optional though. It was one of my favourite parts but as any speedrun will show you, 95% of it is not needed to complete the game. It’s just very satisfying and a tangible way to progress so a lot of players focus on that regardless.

I would say out of all the games mentioned above, Outer Wilds is the one that orbits closest to the feeling of playing subnautica. The isolation, facing hostile environments in your ship and spacesuit, solving mysteries…

It lacks the building aspect, upgrade paths and ressource gathering but that’s because it has more of a focus on its story. (For the better in my opinion)

Also it might just the best game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah even if it doesn't scratch the Subnautica itch, you still need to play Outer Wilds just because it's so good.