Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

freeedr posted:

One day? Buddy,

Loudest, maybe not but most voluminous? If not I'd like to know the reason not. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Another thread sent me down a tangent where I learned that a lot of things have standards developed and accepted worldwide, ISO regs and the U.S standard is pretty prevelant worldwide in most things. (Arguably more than they should be)

Otherwise you have the situation where Ikea sink counter's plumbing connections do not fit U.S. plumbing x1000 worldwide.

Having standard hose sizes etc is important in a worldwide economy.

Ikea hose sizes is one thing, pressure vessels that don't explode and kill people is another.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

The colors on this

match the colors on these

Wow. Worked with one of those strippers for at least 7 years, and I never made that connection. I mainly used the crimping part for pigtails.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Domus posted:

Wow. Worked with one of those strippers for at least 7 years, and I never made that connection. I mainly used the crimping part for pigtails.

And how does your hair look?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

freeedr posted:

And how does your hair look?

And where were you hanging out with exotic dancers? We might’ve worked together

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Domus posted:

Wow. Worked with one of those strippers for at least 7 years, and I never made that connection.

Well now you know why!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Grassy Knowles posted:

And where were you hanging out with exotic dancers? We might’ve worked together

Magic City, the fun strip club where the strippers sleep on the back floor, because they’re homeless. I never used my stripper with those strippers though. I just cleaned CDs because the owner was too cheap to get a proper jukebox for his dancers to dance to. And yes, the strippers had to pay for each song.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Domus posted:

Magic City, the fun strip club where the strippers sleep on the back floor, because they’re homeless. I never used my stripper with those strippers though. I just cleaned CDs because the owner was too cheap to get a proper jukebox for his dancers to dance to. And yes, the strippers had to pay for each song.

Ah nah sure sounds like my old type of joint though.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Springfield and Shelbyville weren't founded by people who added a suffix to name the towns, their names were unaltered.

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Feb 28, 2023

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I thought that 'ton' was an olde timey suffix for 'town' and places like Hamilton and Wellington were founded by people named Hamil and Welling

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Splendid posted:

Springfield and Shelbyville weren't founded by people who added a suffix to name the towns, their named were unaltered.

Hans Sprungfeld did in fact alter his name.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

flavor.flv posted:

I thought that 'ton' was an olde timey suffix for 'town' and places like Hamilton and Wellington were founded by people named Hamil and Welling

Wellington -> Weolingtun

well/wealthy town

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" the lyric "move without rhythm, you won't attract the worm" is a Dune reference.

I thought it was just a vague metaphor adjacent to "the early bird gets the worm", about dancing through life or whatever.

(And of course, soon this shall all be fulfilled with a direct Christopher Walken connection.)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

90's kid here (born in 87) so I watched Men in Black a ton growing up. There is a line where Will Smith is complaining about Tommy Lee Jones' liberal use of the mind erasure pen thingy.

Will: You'll fricassee someone's brain out.

Now growing up I had just assumed that this was a sort of slang or play on for gently caress/frick someone's brain up (remember I was like 9 when this came out.)

Only this week did I learn what a fricassee is. I've been doing some recipe hunting and came across it.

So I just realized Will Smith is referring to turning their brain into a loose slop. Still not a good joke but I finally understand what the heck he meant by it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I never knew what a fricassee was exactly, but I knew it was a cooking term thanks to Bugs Bunny. Somebody didn't watch enough Loony Tunes as a kid! (Fellow 90s kid here.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Silver Falcon posted:

I never knew what a fricassee was exactly, but I knew it was a cooking term thanks to Bugs Bunny. Somebody didn't watch enough Loony Tunes as a kid! (Fellow 90s kid here.)

Ha, I was just gonna post about that, I knew the word from that cartoon but the meaning escaped me. So that entire gag (Elmer wanting to shoot Bugs to make s rabbit stew, Bugs claiming that would be illegal because he's a "fricaseeing rabbit") went over my head, and I just assumed for years that fricaseeing meant some other old word for a different use for animals, like being used for fur or something.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Now that I think about it, I have known the word fricassee my whole life but never seen it used outside of jokes/references/threats in cartoons

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fricassee

Huh! I always assumed it was a cooking technique, like frying or something, rather than a dish!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sir Lemming posted:

(And of course, soon this shall all be fulfilled with a direct Christopher Walken connection.)

I love him, but I'm filled with trepidation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fricassee

Huh! I always assumed it was a cooking technique, like frying or something, rather than a dish!

It is a cooking technique, like frying. (I'm not going to read a loving Wikipedia article about it, I had an 8 in home economics!)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It is a cooking technique, like frying. (I'm not going to read a loving Wikipedia article about it, I had an 8 in home economics!)

To be fair, past "it's a stew" I didn't read the article either :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Stewing is a technique.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Unfortunately, it was graded out of 100 :sigh:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I meant I thought it was something like frying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trabant posted:

Unfortunately, it was graded out of 100 :sigh:

Nothing is graded out of 100. What kind of insane system would that even be? Things are graded either 4 to 10 or I to L. Everything else is a scam or something.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hyperlynx posted:

I said slop in my original post but I guess mush / stew works best for translating the MiB joke.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Things I just realized: 8 can be a grade?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ironhead posted:

8th grade education

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

8° grade on this road

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Lemming posted:

In Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" the lyric "move without rhythm, you won't attract the worm" is a Dune reference.

I thought it was just a vague metaphor adjacent to "the early bird gets the worm", about dancing through life or whatever.

The lines "Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice / Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice" might also be a reference to the Weirding Module sonic voice weapon from the Dune movie

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
so wait Weapon of Choice is a Dune allegory or what

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

credburn posted:

I'm reading the lyrics like that now, it's not *not* working...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

credburn posted:

No you're mixing it up with Total Eclipse of the Heart. Turn around, bright eyes

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The lines "Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice / Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice" might also be a reference to the Weirding Module sonic voice weapon from the Dune movie

"Carefully loaded", though?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ironhead posted:

i got a 13 in english in 1995 :cool:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

"Carefully loaded", though?

Carefully loaded statements absolutely describes the Bene Gesserit Voice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

i got a 13 in english in 1995 :cool:

I got an M in overly long D Latin in 1997 :smugmrgw:

e: So few people were still doing Latin in 1997, that when they curved it, you'd only have to have had four points deducted for an E (literally only one person got an L that year). So the M was pretty dang good, comparatively. In the 80s it would've been an L easily.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Mar 2, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

It references a bunch of random stuff. "Halfway between the gutter and the stars" is probably a reference to an Oscar Wilde quote "We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" and the chorus seems to be a homage of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entXdFDTT-Q

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No you're mixing it up with Total Eclipse of the Heart. Turn around, bright eyes
No.... you're thinking of Say My Name by Destiny's Child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It references a bunch of random stuff. "Halfway between the gutter and the stars" is probably a reference to an Oscar Wilde quote "We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"

Well, that's the name of the album it's from.

Maybe the album is referencing Oscar Wilde, but the song is referencing the album. The lyric is literally "So check out 'Halfway between the gutter and the stars'"

...and while fact checking my post, it brought up the wiki page which says the same thing, that the song references the album which references the quote