Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Sometimes I use my card to purchase flights / hotel / travel for my family. Since they are not the card holder making the purchase, does this mean that they would not receive any of the benefits of the card that was used to make the purchase? For example, the travel / purchase coverage that is available on many of the Chase cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Busy Bee posted:

Sometimes I use my card to purchase flights / hotel / travel for my family. Since they are not the card holder making the purchase, does this mean that they would not receive any of the benefits of the card that was used to make the purchase? For example, the travel / purchase coverage that is available on many of the Chase cards.

The cardholder or authorized users are probably the only people who are able to initiate a claim with the coverage you mentioned. The confirmation will be in the tiny tiny fine print on their not-well-designed list of benefits under your card on your account. The fact that your name is not the “recipient” for the purchase does not matter if you initiated it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

saintonan posted:

I agree with 99% of this post, and I'm an Alliant fanboy myself. I do keep an "absolutely free checking" account at a local bank, though, for cases like this, where I get a weird check (or cash) that I need to deposit. I've had to use it exactly twice in the last two years, but it's been handy when I've needed it.

As of today, I've opened an account with a local credit union as backup. Friendly staff, killer location (within walking distance of home), no fees so long as I deposit at least once a year... I almost forgot what personal financial service felt like.

Alliant's interest rates blow it out of the water, but still useful.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

This is one of those things where you 100% want to read the terms carefully to familiarize yourself with them.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My family recently received a small windfall and we would like to pay off our collective student loans valued in the mid 5 figures. Our loan servicer allows payment with credit cards, feels like an easy opportunity for some manufactured spend. Already have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Blue, Capital One Saver and Capital One Quicksilver.

Anything better than the Wells Fargo Active Cash card? $200 signup bonus and 0.5% better cash back than the best of what I already have.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

spf3million posted:

My family recently received a small windfall and we would like to pay off our collective student loans valued in the mid 5 figures. Our loan servicer allows payment with credit cards, feels like an easy opportunity for some manufactured spend. Already have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Blue, Capital One Saver and Capital One Quicksilver.

Anything better than the Wells Fargo Active Cash card? $200 signup bonus and 0.5% better cash back than the best of what I already have.

In most cases, student loan issuers won't take credit card so you'd have to use a service like Plastiq. I think they only permit payment of student loans with Mastercards, not Amex or Visa. (Unsure about Discover.)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spf3million posted:

Is there an absolutely 0% chance those will be forgiven? Because if there’s even a 1% chance, considering payments and interest are paused for most people, you probably shouldn’t pay off a 5 figure student loan balance right now while loan forgiveness is hanging in the balance.

If is this one of those sharky, lovely private student loans then please continue.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Also, most likely those services charge a fee for paying via credit card?

It might be worth it to hit a sub you otherwise wouldn't, but don't pay the whole amount with the card if that's possible (ie: if your outstanding balance is $10.000 and the sub requirement is $4.000, you're better off just paying $4.000 to reach the sub and then paying the rest via bank transfer or any non-fee method).

That said, look up https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/ and see what looks good to you.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unsinkabear posted:

Awesome, now if only they'd send my drat card already.

You rocking the black card yet? Mine just arrived :cool:

I, uh, hope the elevated numbers don't fade into black-on-black illegibility.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Space Fish posted:

You rocking the black card yet? Mine just arrived :cool:

I, uh, hope the elevated numbers don't fade into black-on-black illegibility.

Mine too! Thanks for posting this actually, I hadn't checked my mailbox today until you asked. What are the odds?

My previous card from them also got pretty battered, so I was hoping this one would be a little beefier, but yeah. Looks equally basic. I can deal with that, though. It's what's on the inside that counts :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm planning on switching to Alliant for all my banking and credit card needs, but also want to pare down the amount of cards I carry one me. Anyone have any recommendations for wallets to archive cards that are nice to have but don't need on a daily basis? I was thinking of getting some $20 Ridge wallet knockoff.

EDIT: I guess a rubber band would work.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
i keep a wallet safe in my home. it was a gift or free or something, i don't know old and cheap.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm planning on switching to Alliant for all my banking and credit card needs, but also want to pare down the amount of cards I carry one me. Anyone have any recommendations for wallets to archive cards that are nice to have but don't need on a daily basis? I was thinking of getting some $20 Ridge wallet knockoff.

I bought a cheap business card holder booklet and have all the cards that aren't in my wallet in there.

This is the one I use. I don't actually have 240 credit cards. Yet.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Neo_Crimson posted:

One thing you can do if you want a card to never get cancelled is set up Amazon auto-reload a gift card once every 6 months or a year.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thoguh posted:

I bought a cheap business card holder booklet and have all the cards that aren't in my wallet in there.

This is the one I use. I don't actually have 240 credit cards. Yet.

I have a 12-slot card holder from Daiso, the ultimate home goods store.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any recommendations for a no or low fee credit card with no FTF for use in Australia?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any recommendations for a no or low fee credit card with no FTF for use in Australia?

Capital One Quicksilver and Chase Amazon Rewards both fit the bill and aren't hard to get approved.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

The oft-recommended Alliant card also has no FTF, that's one of the reasons we love it.

I saw it on another no-AF card lately that surprised the hell out of me, but I'll be damned if I can remember which it was. Seems like it's slowly becoming a more common benefit?

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
For those in the Chase/Hyatt ecosystem, Hyatt is inflating a lot of their point structures.

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/...Iv7QKdy92D93n34

I was considering moving from Amex to Chase based purely off Hyatt resorts points system but at this point I don't see a reason to now. Bad timing since I just hit my spend on the WOH card I just got and it essentially is devalued by 35% already.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

UnleashedDad posted:

For those in the Chase/Hyatt ecosystem, Hyatt is inflating a lot of their point structures.

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/...Iv7QKdy92D93n34

I was considering moving from Amex to Chase based purely off Hyatt resorts points system but at this point I don't see a reason to now. Bad timing since I just hit my spend on the WOH card I just got and it essentially is devalued by 35% already.

This is an annual update, from glancing at the list, some redemptions are going up in points cost, some down, and the rest staying as-is. How does that devalue points by 35%?

Unrelated note for Citi customers: ThankYou points have a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic rewards through the 18th of March.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unsinkabear posted:

The oft-recommended Alliant card also has no FTF, that's one of the reasons we love it.

I saw it on another no-AF card lately that surprised the hell out of me, but I'll be damned if I can remember which it was. Seems like it's slowly becoming a more common benefit?

If the Alliant hurdle isn't too high, then I would also recommend the no FTF Citi Costco Visa for 4% back on gas, 3% on travel and restaurants. Requires Costco membership, which is $60, but if you have a Costco nearby you will likely enjoy it and the already-heaper gas.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Nur_Neerg posted:

This is an annual update, from glancing at the list, some redemptions are going up in points cost, some down, and the rest staying as-is. How does that devalue points by 35%?

Unrelated note for Citi customers: ThankYou points have a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic rewards through the 18th of March.

At least for me, personally. The resorts are a big draw for me and going from 25k to 40k a night is quite the increase, making it not worth it in my eyes. Some places have gone from 25k to 50k like Secrets Impressions. I was thinking of using Chase to basically get a cheap beach vacation out of it but at this point it seems like cash might be the best option

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Does anyone have thoughts on or experience with the Citi Rewards+ and/or Custom Cash cards? They both seem pretty good, Citi is clearly trying to set up an awesome credit ecosystem to challenge the Chase Trifecta and such.

I already have the Citi Costco card, and was just approved for the Double Cash. I feel like I'll apply for both of them eventually, but wondering which one I should go for first. The easy 5% of the Custom Cash seems like an easy win, but I'm wondering how the Rewards+ works. The 10-point-roundup and 10% ThankYou point bonus make it a little more confusing for me. Should I got for the Rewards+ first to start taking advantage of the 10% bonus right away?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The 10% bonus is on redemptions, so you can just hold of on redeeming thank you points until you have the Rewards+.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Thanks. That makes sense, but wouldn't it be most efficient to redeem points right away? Are ThankYou points a form of cash back, or do you need to redeem them for special non-cash things?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

literally this big posted:

Thanks. That makes sense, but wouldn't it be most efficient to redeem points right away? Are ThankYou points a form of cash back, or do you need to redeem them for special non-cash things?

If you only have the citi + card there are a lot of cash back options and only 3 travel partners while the premier has access to a lot more. Unless you're specifically traveling jet blue it'd be worth considering the premier.

Edit: Conversions are less too

Veskit fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 2, 2023

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hm, what if I don't care about miles and am only interested in cash back?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
If you're exchanging for cash only then I don't see a use for the rewards plus card outside of the intro bonus. The costco does better than it in every way, and then the custom cash can be used for groceries.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Having the Rewards+ gets you an extra 10% on all your Citi Thank You points from other cards like the Double cash and Custom cash. It can sit in a drawer

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Veskit posted:

If you're exchanging for cash only then I don't see a use for the rewards plus card outside of the intro bonus. The costco does better than it in every way, and then the custom cash can be used for groceries.

It also rounds up, you always get at least 10 points or something so on purchases less than 5$

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Even (or especially) if you're just in it for cash, the sign-up bonus on the Premier is significant.

Iirc the reason people go Premier -> Custom Cash -> Rewards+ is that the Premier and + have mutually exclusive signup bonuses.

So get the 80,000 points from the Premier first, then apply for the Custom Cash. Get your 20,000 from that. Then, if you want, grab the Rewards+. You won't get a sign-up bonus but it will add 10% to the value of your previous two cards, so it's effectively with $100/10,000 + 10% ofwhatever points you have from actual spending.

Then right after the Premier renews next year, downgrade it to a second Custom Cash and get that second annual fee refunded. Enjoy having 5.5% back in the top two spending categories of your choice each month for no annual fee (which is important, because it means you can also neglect these categories without penalty if you need that spending to grab another bonus later).

Credit to pseudoanonymous for pointing this combo out to me over in the churning thread. It's one of those rare best-of-both-worlds sweet spots that gives you both up-front value and long term usefulness.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 2, 2023

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
5.555555%

You get the 10% refund on the refunded points as well.

Citi Custom Cash x2 + Citi Rewards+ is a must have for min/maxing cashback-centric wallets. Whatever's missing from other 5% category cards, either rotational or situational can be covered by this Trinity.

pseudanonymous posted:

It also rounds up, you always get at least 10 points or something so on purchases less than 5$

If you could use a 5% card use that instead for purchases over $2
If you could use a 3% card use that over $3.33
If you could use a 2.5% card use that over $4
If you could use a 2% card use that over $5

Otherwise yeah, then the round up is actually a bonus.

It's a vending machine card at best, otherwise many things are better. It's main draw is the Thank You Point Ecosystem refundung.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 3, 2023

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
2x Custom Cash cards sounds like a glitch in the Matrix, drat that's a good deal.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

This sounds great, but aw man they apparently had a 80k point sign up bonus for the premier a month ago but now it's down to 60k

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

This sounds great, but aw man they apparently had a 80k point sign up bonus for the premier a month ago but now it's down to 60k

It goes up and down, if you're not in a rush wait a few months it'll probably go back up to 80k points.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Do I need to go for the Premier first, then Custom Cash, then downgrade the Premier into a second Custom Cash, all in order to get 2x Custom Cash? Or could I go for the Custom Cash now and still get a second one later?

I wouldn't mind waiting on the Premier, but could use the Custom's 5% right now for all my eating out.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

literally this big posted:

Do I need to go for the Premier first, then Custom Cash, then downgrade the Premier into a second Custom Cash, all in order to get 2x Custom Cash? Or could I go for the Custom Cash now and still get a second one later?

I wouldn't mind waiting on the Premier, but could use the Custom's 5% right now for all my eating out.

Basically yes, citi won’t give you a second custom cash but they have let people product change their other cards into a custom cash when they already have one.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My third year Amex Plat renewal is coming up, and since there's no retention offer, I don't think I can justify the Annual Fee.

That said, we travel locally about 3-4 times a year, and internationally 1 or 2 times a year. Enough where the perks are nice, but not enough to gain significant status just from miles, so the Plat is great for being able to access the Sky Lounge/Centurion Lounge.

Right now, all I can think of is downgrading myself to a Blue Cash and getting an Amex Plat in my wife's name. It's not ideal because my wife hates dealing with Credit Card poo pootm.

Also, we're in NYC and not Atlanta so maybe the Delta Loyalty is not worth it?

Not really sure what my question is, I guess I'm looking for Opinions on travel cards?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you were thinking that you could directly convert the Plat to a Blue Cash, I don't believe it's possible to convert a charge card to a credit card.

If you don't already have any other Membership Reward cards, I'd recommend signing up for the no-AF Blue Cash Everyday to keep your point balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

dpkg chopra posted:

My third year Amex Plat renewal is coming up, and since there's no retention offer, I don't think I can justify the Annual Fee.

That said, we travel locally about 3-4 times a year, and internationally 1 or 2 times a year. Enough where the perks are nice, but not enough to gain significant status just from miles, so the Plat is great for being able to access the Sky Lounge/Centurion Lounge.

Right now, all I can think of is downgrading myself to a Blue Cash and getting an Amex Plat in my wife's name. It's not ideal because my wife hates dealing with Credit Card poo pootm.

Also, we're in NYC and not Atlanta so maybe the Delta Loyalty is not worth it?

Not really sure what my question is, I guess I'm looking for Opinions on travel cards?

Once the AF posts, go into the chat and tell them you are thinking of cancelling the card, they will tell you about the credits, tell them not worth it, and they may come up with an MR offer for a certain amount of spend.

If you do cancel the vanilla plat:

You could get a schwab brokerage account (if you invest $50 they'll give you $101 in shares of the top 5 companies in the S&P, but you can cancel the trade once it's posted and keep the $101).

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/open-schwab-brokerage-deposit-50-get-50-bonus-schwab-starter-kit-offer/

Then sign up for a Schwab amex Platinum, get 100k MR for 6k spend in the first 3 months. It has all the normal benefits of Amex Platinum (lounge acces, Uber cash, other credits) and still gets 5x MR points for the same categories as the vanilla Plat.

In a year if they won't give you a retention offer then cancel it.