Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Other than paying for a full-on additional phone line, is there a way for me to have a second feel phone number that will work for text verification for websites? I've tried Burner and Google Voice, and neither of those work.

I'd be willing to pay, just not, like, double digits per month, all the number needs to do is get text messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t know about the ant hill question but if you find them in your yard you should probably at least get a termite inspection. And go around your house and make sure no mulch or wood is piled against it, and you have a couple runs of block visible between the ground and siding (or whatever the house is clad with).

Yeah, I have a brick and cinder block foundation with about 4 feet of crawl space before there's any wood. So I'm not too worried. But this feels like a kick in the pants to finally get a termite bond from a local pest control place.

We actually had a case of termites at work where the winged drones started coming out of the dry wall one day. That was a fun day at the office.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Other than paying for a full-on additional phone line, is there a way for me to have a second feel phone number that will work for text verification for websites? I've tried Burner and Google Voice, and neither of those work.

I'd be willing to pay, just not, like, double digits per month, all the number needs to do is get text messages.
This is probably higher effort than you want, but you could use a service like Twilio - see https://support.twilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015962887-Forward-Incoming-SMS-Messages-with-Twilio-Studio for example.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

If you sign in in Safari (and enable notifications for it), do you get notifications ?

On my desktop and iPad that works, at least I think the tablet gets notifications that way, but I can’t get my phone to load the desktop discord site no matter what I do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren’t browser based notifications a new or upcoming feature on iOS? I know you couldn’t do them for a long time, but I just read they were being supported with an update.

Edit: looks like it’s coming in the 16.4 update which should be very soon.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trapick posted:

This is probably higher effort than you want, but you could use a service like Twilio - see https://support.twilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015962887-Forward-Incoming-SMS-Messages-with-Twilio-Studio for example.

It wants me to fund an account for a minimum of $20 to figure out whether or not it will work (the free version does not). The price is right if it works, but I'm hesitant to dump $20 into it just to discover that it--like Google Voice and other not-totally-traditional phone line alternatives--doesn't work.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

If you have an old mobile phone, maybe a pre-paid SIM for that? Just don't use it for anything else and then the cost should be negligible.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I bumped my head on the ceiling three days ago, and I still have a really mild headache. I get headaches all the time, but this is clearly from that.

How bad is this? Everything online seems to basically say "yeah, you can get that after a concussion", so I guess I was concussed, but like, I can't really tell if that's actually always definitely super bad, or if it's just like, you know, 'take it a bit easy'?

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
If it gets worse or you develop other symptoms then you should go see a doctor, but regular post-concussion headaches can last like a month. You're probably fine, try not to hit your head on anything else in the mean time, repeated concussions are a lot worse than a single one, especially within a shorter period of time.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CyprianLatewood posted:

If it gets worse or you develop other symptoms then you should go see a doctor, but regular post-concussion headaches can last like a month. You're probably fine, try not to hit your head on anything else in the mean time, repeated concussions are a lot worse than a single one, especially within a shorter period of time.

OK, amazing, thanks, this was my assumption, but couldn't find anything that wasn't super alarmist. I'll try my darndest not to headbutt the low ceiling again.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ham Equity posted:

It wants me to fund an account for a minimum of $20 to figure out whether or not it will work (the free version does not). The price is right if it works, but I'm hesitant to dump $20 into it just to discover that it--like Google Voice and other not-totally-traditional phone line alternatives--doesn't work.
What about google voice doesn't work for you? Its a 2nd phone number that you can receive texts on. Whats not working?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wish I could answer a question, but I'm just posting to find an answer to a question I had ages ago, and swear I asked it.

Have a good day!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, I have a brick and cinder block foundation with about 4 feet of crawl space before there's any wood. So I'm not too worried. But this feels like a kick in the pants to finally get a termite bond from a local pest control place.

We actually had a case of termites at work where the winged drones started coming out of the dry wall one day. That was a fun day at the office.

Yes absolutely get a termite bond asap, lol. If you’re in the SE/gulf coast where Formosan termites are common, they can cause a fuckload of damage in a few months. Get a repair bond if you can, retreatment if you can’t.

E: termites can and do find tiny cracks in the brick/block foundation and gain access to wood through those. They are sneaky sneaky. You’d probably see mud tunnels on the surface of the brick/block, but not necessarily.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 2, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can someone link me to a program or app that can detect AI generated text?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's not a solved problem.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Professor Shark posted:

No.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

You can usually tell by the pixels

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mano posted:

If you have an old mobile phone, maybe a pre-paid SIM for that? Just don't use it for anything else and then the cost should be negligible.

I don't have an old mobile phone (I've traded in my last couple for very large discounts), and I already have three phones, I was trying to avoid getting a fourth. Shelling out for a flip phone may be my only option, though.

Cage posted:

What about google voice doesn't work for you? Its a 2nd phone number that you can receive texts on. Whats not working?

The verification system knows its a Google Voice number, and refuses to text it. This has happened with both Ticketmaster and Twitter most recently, but also other sites in the past.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Are any of your phones dual SIM?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ham Equity posted:

I don't have an old mobile phone (I've traded in my last couple for very large discounts), and I already have three phones, I was trying to avoid getting a fourth. Shelling out for a flip phone may be my only option, though.

The verification system knows its a Google Voice number, and refuses to text it. This has happened with both Ticketmaster and Twitter most recently, but also other sites in the past.

Why do you want this additional line just for text verification? Is it to avoid getting spam texts/calls on your main line?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

Are any of your phones dual SIM?

Apparently, yes. I didn't know this was a thing.

CzarChasm posted:

Why do you want this additional line just for text verification? Is it to avoid getting spam texts/calls on your main line?

That's part of it, but it's more of a privacy thing. If you have someone's personal cell phone number, it's a lot easier to track them. If I have a number I can use for just verification poo poo, it makes it harder to build data profiles on me.

I recognize this is probably a losing battle, but I'd like to at least put in the effort.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Do you just mean plagiarism detection software?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, if you're going through a lot of trouble setting up a MFA device, you might as well not use SMS, which is pretty insecure. You can probably set up a yubikey in about as much trouble as the extra phone line.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Yeah, if you're going through a lot of trouble setting up a MFA device, you might as well not use SMS, which is pretty insecure. You can probably set up a yubikey in about as much trouble as the extra phone line.

It's not MFA. It's literally the site wants a phone number to text to tell that I'm a real person, and it doesn't want to accept a number that isn't (for lack of a better term) a "real" phone number, I'm sure they would say for purposes of spammer/fake account detection, but the fact that those sorts of numbers aren't good for being able to track users definitely factors into it as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ham Equity posted:

This sounds like you're at loggerheads with companies that are trying to do one of two things: a) prevent account fraud (i.e. someone spinning up tons of accounts to abuse their systems somehow), or b) get extra data on their customers that they can then make money off of somehow. (of course, if they're doing (a) they will certainly also do (b) as well)

The attraction of cellphone verification for preventing account fraud is specifically that the phone represents a monetary stake that's hard for people to fake, so companies have an incentive to block free ways to get around that check. For example with Ticketmaster, if they're trying to stop ticket scalping, they want to make sure that each ticket they sell is going to a different actual human being. If I show up with my 500 Google Voice accounts claiming to be 500 different people, then that's a problem for them.

stealth edit: oh, I see you're already well aware of this.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Do you just mean plagiarism detection software?

Yeah- I found GPTZero and tested it out, looks good so far

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah- I found GPTZero and tested it out, looks good so far

I have bad news.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Professor Shark posted:

there are several tools that attempt this from different companies, here is the one from OpenAI, makers of ChatGPT (needs you to register an account)

pay attention to the limitations though. this is basically just a slightly-educated guess, so don't rely on it. it's possible to falsely classify human text as AI and it's possible for AI text to slip through, especially if it's modified to avoid detection.
in the end you have to use your own judgement and experience.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Ham Equity posted:

It's not MFA. It's literally the site wants a phone number to text to tell that I'm a real person, and it doesn't want to accept a number that isn't (for lack of a better term) a "real" phone number, I'm sure they would say for purposes of spammer/fake account detection, but the fact that those sorts of numbers aren't good for being able to track users definitely factors into it as well.

What if you ported your personal number to Google Voice and then use the new number assigned to your phone line for all that stuff?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The thing with ai models like gpt3 is that they were made basically with the sole purpose of defeating programs meant to distinguish between computer and human generated text.

Also, any smart cheater will run their paper through those detection models and get gpt3 to regenerate the offending sections until it passes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ancillary Character posted:

What if you ported your personal number to Google Voice and then use the new number assigned to your phone line for all that stuff?

I'm concerned this might break my MFA or validation on other sites retroactively. I've used my number for some sites in the past (mostly banking and credit card stuff), Ticketmaster and Twitter just seem to me to be a bridge too far.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Are there any good youtube channels that do solid recaps of cultural story and mythology? Specifically Chinese and Arabic. Things like One Thousand and One Nights and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I know practically nothing about those and have always wanted to.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

I’m a huge fan of Overly Sarcastic Productions and their reviews/overviews of mythology and literary tropes through the ages. No fluff, just content

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I know this is dumb of me to do, but I bought a month of OKCupid premium since I hadn't logged into my profile for a long time on there and wanted to see who had Liked me. I also revised my profile because it was long out of date.

Well, soon after the number of Likes have simply exploded from like 20-30 to almost 150 now. I am extremely skeptical of this since they're pretty much all from the Philippines/Kenya/Indonesia etc and most of them have an exactly 50% match percentage with only a few generic words in their profiles.

Are these bots? Or people trying to rig the app to get money somehow?

As an aside, the dating app seems way shittier now than when I first used it 10 years ago. Hell, I even managed to find and keep a girlfriend off of OKCupid back then, but it looks like all of the free stuff from then are paid premium features now. Boo.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm really struggling to eat the past few days, due to intense emotional times and heartbreak. I'm now at a point where trying to eat something makes me feel a bit sick and I can't manage much. What kind of food is going to be best for trying to a) get my normal eating back on track and b) keep me at least a little bit sustained until I can eat normally again?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I know this is dumb of me to do, but I bought a month of OKCupid premium since I hadn't logged into my profile for a long time on there and wanted to see who had Liked me. I also revised my profile because it was long out of date.

Well, soon after the number of Likes have simply exploded from like 20-30 to almost 150 now. I am extremely skeptical of this since they're pretty much all from the Philippines/Kenya/Indonesia etc and most of them have an exactly 50% match percentage with only a few generic words in their profiles.

Are these bots? Or people trying to rig the app to get money somehow?

As an aside, the dating app seems way shittier now than when I first used it 10 years ago. Hell, I even managed to find and keep a girlfriend off of OKCupid back then, but it looks like all of the free stuff from then are paid premium features now. Boo.

OkCupid is owned by the same people as tinder now. It’s gamified to extract money. Make sure you turn off any global match settings to avoid the international hits.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

That's not a solved problem.

I just saw a reel video of a guy bragging about some hack where he put AI generated text into something and it came out as "99.5% sure it's AI", then he ran it through another text "alteration" program, and put it back in and it came back as "1% sure it's AI".

So if it's not fully "solved" then it seems as if there's at least something out there and arms race is underway.

I have no idea what either program were though sorry OP

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Squibsy posted:

I'm really struggling to eat the past few days, due to intense emotional times and heartbreak. I'm now at a point where trying to eat something makes me feel a bit sick and I can't manage much. What kind of food is going to be best for trying to a) get my normal eating back on track and b) keep me at least a little bit sustained until I can eat normally again?

I personally had to deal with severe food aversion when my chronic pancreatitis was at its worst. When you are fighting to keep down every calorie, I cannot recommend Ensure-type chocolate or vanilla shakes enough. They are targeted towards old folks who need to keep up their vitamins, and an excellent way to keep some calories flowing.

I really hope things start to look up for you. Whatever you face, one foot in front of the other is all anything can ask of themselves. Just focus on the little victories, the bigger ones will follow.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Question for anyone in the UK:

I've recently started reading the UK edition of The Guardian's website, and both in articles and in the comments section, I keep seeing Rishi Sunak's first name written as Rish! in contexts where it doesn't seem to be a typo. Is that an inside joke limited to The Guardian's readership (like Guardian->Grauniad)?

Here's an example of it appearing in the text of an article (opinion piece): https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/02/boris-breaks-silence-to-deliver-lacklustre-critique-of-rishis-deal

In the third paragraph --

And in the comments of that article --

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Squibsy posted:

I'm sorry you're in such a rough spot right now, and I hope things improve for you soon. When I've had trouble keeping food down, the things I've gone to are extremely bland crackers, and fruit juice. I hope that helps.