Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Blaziken386 posted:

you know, i have to say, i'm not fond of the whole "have to use alear in relay trials" and "need to spend a ticket for each relay trial"

because while yes, you can get rewards from doing other people's trials, the fact that you can also have another player grab your alear and purposefully run them deep into enemy territory by their lonesome is not great!! seems like an easy way for trolls to gently caress with you. If the loss condition is party wipe/time out, that's a lot harder for one jackass to achieve.

I've only ever had one relay trial I've done end in failure because of someone getting my Alear killed, and that was a friend who had a brainfart and forgot that rewinds aren't available in relay trials.

Every other trial I've been in, both ones I've started and ones I've joined, other players are more prone to moving Alear away from the enemies if it looks like they're in danger of dying, since if the trial fails all you get is a pittance of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
good god the Three Houses emblem is a monster when you get into lategame, especially when coupled with Byleth.
Raging Storm -> Attack -> Goddess Dance -> Houses Unite+ -> Attack (optional: dance/attack again)

went into a skirmish with some underleveled units to try and farm some SP on them, and forgot just how much they aggressively scale with your level, and how they all charge at you from turn one.

And then Goldmary crushed half the opposition under her heel in a single player-phase, lol

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Skirmishes are all based on Alears level so if you want to ease up on those keep Alears level a bit on the lower side.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Blaziken386 posted:

good god the Three Houses emblem is a monster when you get into lategame, especially when coupled with Byleth.
Raging Storm -> Attack -> Goddess Dance -> Houses Unite+ -> Attack (optional: dance/attack again)

Dance first, then include the dancer in Goddess Dance AoE, then you can dance again. Six attacks in a single turn, it's very fun to pull off

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

WrightOfWay posted:

It prioritizes ability to counter attack over weapon triangle, so if your only ranged weapon is the Master Lance, you can be broken by an axe.

In other "wtf is Adaptable doing?" news, I once had it on Timerra while she was using her S-rank throwing spear, and it decided that when being shot at by snipers the appropriate thing to do was switch to the Levin Sword and deal approximately 2 damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm betting that Adaptable prioritizes engage weapons over normal weapons, which is sadly one more check in the "Leif is kinda crap" column, because his engage weapons are not very good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's also possible that Adaptable is going "enemy has lower Res than Def -> use magical weapon" but isn't checking the wielder's stats to see if that would still do less damage.

Unless by Levin Sword Clarste means Light Brand in which case Adaptable might just be prioritizing Leif's terrible engage weapons, yeah.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I assumed Clarste was referring to Light Brand, because Timerra can't use normal swords unless you move her out of Picket and her magic stat is fairly garbage so I don't know why you'd even give her a levin sword even if you did change her to hero or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ahhh yeah okay that makes sense

In that case you're probably right and it's prioritizing engage weapons

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The priority order for Adaptable is Range, WTA, Effectiveness, Total Derived Stats (all but Weight), and finally Inventory Slot.

You can make Brionac out-prioritize Light Brand against non-axe ranged weapons by giving it an engraving that boosts its Hit, Crit, Avo, or Dodge.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda hosed up that everyone else gets stuff that’s basically an S-rank+ weapon eventually and Leif gets…the light brand. Like yeah itd feel weird to not have it in the game, but if we made Roy a tanky boy and not the second worst lord in the series then you can do literally whatever with the Engage weapons.

…speaking of weapons, anyone get any use out of the wyrmslayer, engage version or otherwise? The effective damage weapons are kinda eh overall for me for being so heavy for a lot of the game, but the ability to get effective damage specifically on wyvern riders/Zephia (but only below Maddening) is kind of an underwhelming niche compared to the hammer, let alone the ridersbane being effective against a miserable enemy type in wolf knights. Oh, I guess the wind magic’s solid, but kinda overlaps with plain old fire/surge against wyvern riders.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there a randomizer mod yet? That would get me to replay the game asap.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ooh, Triangle Attack added internal level to the Average Stats tool: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/average_stats

Very helpful for comparing characters' stats

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Harrow posted:

Ooh, Triangle Attack added internal level to the Average Stats tool: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/average_stats

Very helpful for comparing characters' stats

Looks like it’s off by one on all unpromoted units because your internal level at base class level 1 is 0, not 1.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

…speaking of weapons, anyone get any use out of the wyrmslayer, engage version or otherwise? The effective damage weapons are kinda eh overall for me for being so heavy for a lot of the game, but the ability to get effective damage specifically on wyvern riders/Zephia (but only below Maddening) is kind of an underwhelming niche compared to the hammer, let alone the ridersbane being effective against a miserable enemy type in wolf knights. Oh, I guess the wind magic’s solid, but kinda overlaps with plain old fire/surge against wyvern riders.

If Roy didn’t have such godawful availability, I could see the Wyrmslayer being useful on Emblem paralogues as those usually contain non-corrupted dragons.

As it stands, you’ll usually outlevel most of them by the time you have him.

But setting that aside, forging normal Wyrmslayers can still be helpful to on those same maps if you don’t want to burn Engage attacks, at least.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Last Celebration posted:

Kinda hosed up that everyone else gets stuff that’s basically an S-rank+ weapon eventually and Leif gets…the light brand. Like yeah itd feel weird to not have it in the game, but if we made Roy a tanky boy and not the second worst lord in the series then you can do literally whatever with the Engage weapons.

I have one on Jade, who gets extremely situational use out of it. When I made her a great knight, I gave her swords, because her dex kind of sucks for an axe unit.

I'm sure I could do something fun with one if I cared to engrave it. But on the whole, it's probably the worst effective weapon by sheer virtue of "there aren't very many enemy dragons".

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Worth keeping in mind for the wyrmslayer that effective: dragon gets upgraded to effective: Fell Dragon If Emblem Alear is nearby

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's decent vs enemy wyverns, though the problem is doubling them to begin with. It was quite good on my Lyn!Wyvern Chloe though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't use effective weapons much on Hard (unless you count bows) but I've found effective weaponry has been pretty helpful on Maddening--specifically Ridersbanes/Poleaxes because some of the scariest enemies around are Wolf Knights. (Well, and also bows, again if we're counting those.) A nice thing about forging effective weapons is that every +1 Might is functionally +3 Might whenever you actually want to use them, so it's better value than it looks like.

I don't get much use out of Wyrmslayers primarily because the majority of enemies weak to those are also flying and I just shoot them down with a Radiant Bow instead. The large wyrms are also weak to Wyrmslayers but enough of them are Corrupted Wyrms (which aren't weak to Wyrmslayers) that it never really feels like much of a reason to carry one. I usually deal with them by just launching Panette at them with a Killer or Brave Axe.

Zoran posted:

Looks like it’s off by one on all unpromoted units because your internal level at base class level 1 is 0, not 1.

Oh weird! Good to know.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Having almost all the dragons in the game immune to Dragon killing weapons was certainly a choice. It makes you wonder why they even put those weapons in the game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FoolyCharged posted:

Having almost all the dragons in the game immune to Dragon killing weapons was certainly a choice. It makes you wonder why they even put those weapons in the game.

Remember when Wyverns took normal damage from Bows in RD

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Remember when Wyverns took normal damage from Bows in RD

Haar Haar Haar

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Made me do a double take in Paralogues when suddenly Mulagir Astral Storm was one-shotting the dragons.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
Half the skirmishes in the game seem to involve being encircled by a horde of wyverns. Perhaps it's for that

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FoolyCharged posted:

For enemies to kill Alear with.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FoolyCharged posted:

In addition to that, there is no longer an independent wyvern class tree, they’re simply one of two Pegasus promotions. So there’s no Wyverns till the enemies start promoting, and even then half will be Griffin knights. It’s a weapon that only works on a single class in the entire game. Like having a weapon with effectiveness on Halberdiers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

galagazombie posted:

In addition to that, there is no longer an independent wyvern class tree, they’re simply one of two Pegasus promotions. So there’s no Wyverns till the enemies start promoting, and even then half will be Griffin knights. It’s a weapon that only works on a single class in the entire game. Like having a weapon with effectiveness on Halberdiers.

Eh, that's not that much weirder than Armorslayers. Especially pre-Great Knights.

And there are other units they work on, they're just almost exclusively in Paralogues. And Alear gets the late game boost that lets them hit corrupted dragons which are pretty much everywhere.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Smiling Knight posted:

Made me do a double take in Paralogues when suddenly Mulagir Astral Storm was one-shotting the dragons.
The fact that there is specifically [Dragon] Units and [Fell Dragon] units, and, with the exception of the emblem paralogues, every corrupted wyrm is classified as a [Fell Dragon] offends me personally. I wouldn't care if it was just something like "[Fell Dragons] only take 2x Effective Damage compared to [Dragons], who take 3x damage", but the fact that it's nothing is just like. C'mon. It's big. It's got scales. It breathes fire. It counts, dammit.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

You only have so many radiant bow users so it’s nice to have another option for hitting wyvern rider enemies

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never got the hype for Radiant Bow, but my archer was Fogado who was able to use Silver Bow+1 to one-shot Wyverns when Radiant couldn't on most cases.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

I never got the hype for Radiant Bow, but my archer was Fogado who was able to use Silver Bow+1 to one-shot Wyverns when Radiant couldn't on most cases.

The Radiant Bow's deal is that it just has super high Might that gets tripled against fliers and targets Res. Against a flier, a Radiant Bow +3 has 66 attack power before adding the wielder's Magic stat.

There are other ways to one-shot fliers but the Radiant Bow can let you get a huge power spike on any archer relatively early.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Looks like Wave 3 (Chrom and Veronica) is next Tuesday.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

bravesword posted:

on the one hand: yay more emblems
on the other: its already so hard to pick and choose who to use

wonder what skills they have and how absurdly broken they'll be

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Blaziken386 posted:

on the one hand: yay more emblems
on the other: its already so hard to pick and choose who to use

wonder what skills they have and how absurdly broken they'll be

Also what their Engrave bonuses are

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
More importantly, will they have as entertaining bond conversations as Soren?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
between the three houses lords and chrobin, it's increasingly evident that ephraim really got the short end of the stick in this game

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

bravesword posted:

Oh, I just finished my second playthrough lol.

In where I made Anna the best Martial Master I could (endboss spoilers):

Other notes:
- Martial Master!Anna + Eirika gives her a ton of true damage on each hit, plus Speedtaker to patch up her shakey speed. She became one of my most reliable delete buttons, especially because she could delete basically any unit (including Armours, especially Armours) in the game. Very satisfying.
- Halberdier!Goldmary + Hector was really a lot of fun. Gives her a buttload of defence and her low speed can be mitigated with Pincer Attack on Player Phase and Quick Riposte on Enemy Phase. Gave her an Ike engraved Brave Lance to get the max Heavy Weapon bonus (per hit) and she was a menace.
- Sage!Ivy + Byleth for Thyrsus is great, even if at the cost of not having Byleth on someone a bit better for the Dance.
- Hero!Chloe + Marth with a forged/engraved Sword/Lance to activate Break Defences gives her so many possible hits to crit with.
- Investing in Lineage as early as possible meant I had a lot more SP to play around with. Warrior!Panette + Ike with Vantage/Wrath/Resolve is of course super fun, but also stacking Draconic Hex on AOE moves (Camilla, Sigurd, Roy) is great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raserys posted:

between the three houses lords and chrobin, it's increasingly evident that ephraim really got the short end of the stick in this game

Alm and Seliph don't even show up so I think he does ok.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

galagazombie posted:

More importantly, will they have as entertaining bond conversations as Soren?

No.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Alm and Seliph don't even show up so I think he does ok.

They at least get Bond Rings. Ephraim, for some mysterious reason, does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Raserys posted:

Erika might be a mediocre unit but she’s about as interesting as her brother but also a cute sword girl voiced by a Jojo so I can’t feel too bad for him tbh.