Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

petit choux posted:

Look, just for my curiosity, I have to know. What the gently caress is Taiga money?

ED: And more importantly, where can I get my paws on some of it?

'bout $800

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I realize this will come heavily down to what kinda bleeps you make and what gear you have, but I am generally interested in any "grab and go" type stuff people have.

My original intent with modular was an EMS voice and some contemporary analogues for aural adventure, primarily clocked/driven with an A4k via Synapse. Something something scope creep.
That's become a mostly-studio quadraphonic system after a couple case migrations. I've played out with this once and it's a little impractical to do alone. That sparked some splitting in to cases that were less functional alone but still usable, and still able to form voltron in various vehicle configurations.

So for grab and go in most any setting I keep to this KB37

A japanese minimoog built in germany by way of latvia. Were I to do it again I'd probably go with minimod's EG, or 4ms EG+VCAs to sneak a little more functionality in there. I don't like controls or features too dense, but I sometimes get frustrated by the nature of the Erica EG. It only scans CV at the start of the envelope. The per-stage CV out is hard cut on either end. Choices maybe, limitations on design probably, never feels right to me while dialing.

That's usually got a support box in:

This one is fun for generative fakebit on its own, the offsets on the stochastic make for easy LFO-cum-sequencer style patching. If it's a more Serious Performers style event this has a portable base case full of clocks, logic and a delay line.
Then that all will usually go into something for summing, gating, reverb: MnM or MPC, then out to house/PA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Digitakt just got a huge update. Warping and slicing included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CdwhGt8gcU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

That's so cool! Slicing was something I've always wanted on the Digitakt but never thought it would actually happen.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Matt Zerella posted:

Digitakt just got a huge update. Warping and slicing included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CdwhGt8gcU

Wow -- that's incredible. I thought the song mode update was a big leap forward, but this seems like an incredible amount of new capabilities. Exciting stuff. Very glad all the positive discussion about DTs in this thread encouraged me to pick one up a few years ago.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i was thinking about selling my digitakt and getting an octatrack, but i probably won't now, i love how much elektron improve their gear with updates

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

imhotep posted:

i was thinking about selling my digitakt and getting an octatrack, but i probably won't now, i love how much elektron improve their gear with updates

I forgot I had mine listed on CL and just got 3 emails lol

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thread, may I ask advice? I want to get a patchbay so I don't have to plug things into the back of my Focusrite all the time. I assume a TRS patchbay for under $100 should suffice? Any advice please? Or if anybody has one to get rid of, come to think of.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

petit choux posted:

Thread, may I ask advice? I want to get a patchbay so I don't have to plug things into the back of my Focusrite all the time. I assume a TRS patchbay for under $100 should suffice? Any advice please? Or if anybody has one to get rid of, come to think of.

Yeah there's not a whole lot to TRS patchbays so basically any of them you run into should be solid. The only thing worth thinking about is whether you want a bay that's normalled or half-normalled (or most nowadays let you set that per-patch point if they give you the option at all).

I'd personally go with a Neutrik one just because in a decade of doing live audio I've never had a Neutrik jack fail on me, but unless you're aggressively repatching things all the time you probably don't have to worry.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I’ve used that same dbx patch bay for 20 years.

Stay away from Behringer patch bays - of course that advice might be 20 years old now, too. :shrug:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah there's not a whole lot to TRS patchbays so basically any of them you run into should be solid. The only thing worth thinking about is whether you want a bay that's normalled or half-normalled (or most nowadays let you set that per-patch point if they give you the option at all).

I'd personally go with a Neutrik one just because in a decade of doing live audio I've never had a Neutrik jack fail on me, but unless you're aggressively repatching things all the time you probably don't have to worry.

Oh what is normalled or half normalled?

I was leaning toward a neutrik or a behringer, there's a lot of good looking ones out there and it would even be cool to get a really old one but unfortunately I want something I can just snap in there and call it done. And I mostly do short runs of unbalanced cables in general so that's probably what I'll be plugging into it mostly. I just bought a whole bunch of unbalanced cables so I can finally complete the cables I promised catblack and xzzy, I bought a bulk lot of unbalanced snakes and I'm going to cut them up and use them for raw cable, probably.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I’ve used that same dbx patch bay for 20 years.

Stay away from Behringer patch bays - of course that advice might be 20 years old now, too. :shrug:

LOL thank you.

Yeah DBX, that's another fav brand name. Really, lots of good ones to choose. Right now I've just mounted some rack rails on my rolly cart and pull the cart out every now and then (on the right in the pic).

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 1, 2023

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

petit choux posted:

Straight from Sweetwater:

quote:

A Normalled patchbay has vertical pairs of jacks (usually In and Out) where audio automatically flows between the two jacks. Usually, patchbays rear panel connections have some option for normalling. Normalled patchbays can be Full-Normalled, or Half-Normalled

Full-Normal:
Rear panel connections are linked, but are broken when a front panel connection is made.

Half-Normal:
Half-Normal bay is one in which the rear panel connections are linked, a connection made to the top row of the front panel does not break the link, but a connection to the bottom row does break the link.

If you have connections you always use, it saves you the trouble of patching them on the front, but gives you the flexibility to patch them to something else instead.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

petit choux posted:

I was leaning toward a neutrik or a behringer, there's a lot of good looking ones out there and it would even be cool to get a really old one but unfortunately I want something I can just snap in there and call it done. And I mostly do short runs of unbalanced cables in general so that's probably what I'll be plugging into it mostly. I just bought a whole bunch of unbalanced cables so I can finally complete the cables I promised catblack and xzzy, I bought a bulk lot of unbalanced snakes and I'm going to cut them up and use them for raw cable, probably.

Normalled and half normalled bays have internal default connections that save you from having to use patch cables for any part of your setup that's largely going to stay the same, but still give you the option to patch them different places as needed. Typically when you set up a patch bay, you have your outputs from your gears connected to the top row of jacks on the back, and then inputs (i.e. connections to the inputs on your Scarlett) are connected to the bottom row of jacks on the back of the patch bay.

If the bay has normalled/half-normalled connections, it means there's a default patch connections from the top row to the bottom row, ie. if you always (or usually) want a particular synth patched to input one, you could connect the output of that synth to the top connection of Patch 1 on the back of the unit, then connect the bottom connection to input one on your interface, and audio would be fed through the patch bay without needing to have Out 1 physically patched to In 1 on the front using a patch cable.

The difference between normalled & half-normalled is that:
- normalled connections are interrupted if you connect a patch cable to either of the front-panel jacks associated with that patch point, so if you wanted to patch your synth to a different input or an FX unit or whatever, the connection would be broken when you connect a patch cable to the top jack of Patch 1, so you can jumper it to whatever you want without it sending audio to input one on your interface.

- half-normalled are similar to above, except the normalled connection is only interrupted if a patch cable is connected to the bottom jack on the front panel. What this means is you can send audio from your synth to input one on your interface via the internal normalled connection, and also plug in a patch cable to the top jack on the front panel, and connect that to a second destination on a different patch point. It effectively creates a sort of "y cable" connection to your source, so you can send the synth to its "default" destination and somewhere else at the same time, but still gives you the flexibility to plug something else into input one on your interface by connecting another source to the bottom connection (the one going to the interface) on the front panel.

Sorry if that's not super clear, it can be hard to explain patch bay stuff because half the sources out there will refer to the top row as "outs" meaning "outputs from external gear connected to the patchbay" and bottom row as "ins" meaning "inputs to external gear connected from the patchbay"...

and the other half use "ins" to refer to the top row, meaning input lines into the patchbay & vice versa for the outs. I think that's less common nowadays though for whatever reason. I wish documentation just referred to everything as "source" and "destination" but no, it can never be that easy, lol.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lol yeah Rod's explanation is much quicker and clearer, I went deep into it because it can be hard to wrap your head around half-normalled connections and why you'd even want them without an example (or it was for me, at least)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey yeah, here's a couple vids on patch bays:
first up in American https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daTt3RqAjy0
Or if you prefer Scottish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhmfWzCryo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Thanks for all the interesting feedback.

Does anyone have suggestions for a vst or software to experiment with live sampler workflows? Digitakt and octatrack seem very cool but I've never really thought about stuff along those lines before and I'd like to get as close as I can with software, existing midi controllers and as little money as possible. Because I just pre-ordered a taiga.... :laugh: so much for "no vco 2023"

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Ableton itself pretty much gets you there

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

OMG thanks for all the great answers here. I am doing a transaction with my goonbro Jameskpolk for a spare that he has, I really appreciate it. And I'm off to do more errands for the professor, I lost my flux during the move and didn't get my poo poo together in the shop for the longest time but its coming together slowly. Will update.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://opal.fors.fm

It requires Max4live which is expensive but this basically gives you a Digitakt in Ableton.

But the price for Ableton, M4L, and this is basically octatrack price.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Matt Zerella posted:

But the price for Ableton, M4L, and this is basically octatrack price.

that thing looks interesting, anyway. It annoys me there's no ableton / m4l trial. I could :files: V10 and mess around with this but if I get it all up and working, the odds of going back and paying for it decline with every new module released, and I'm trying to avoid, for as long as possible, getting into expensive software.

Live10 looks like it's still offered as licenses, and is cheaper than 11. Maybe that's an option.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
My cousin does audio for rap music peeps and loves Ableton, Im more of a Reason and Audacity person myself.
Ive used softsynths for about 20 years, but its still really good to compose on my Korg Wavestate. Its just so much fun to play around with.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cabbages and Kings posted:

that thing looks interesting, anyway. It annoys me there's no ableton / m4l trial. I could :files: V10 and mess around with this but if I get it all up and working, the odds of going back and paying for it decline with every new module released, and I'm trying to avoid, for as long as possible, getting into expensive software.

Live10 looks like it's still offered as licenses, and is cheaper than 11. Maybe that's an option.

There totally is, it’s 90 days with no features disabled, and m4l, etc. https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

Ableton is the poo poo, I really could go without any other piece of gear for the rest of my life if I just had a laptop and Ableton.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Wow I just checked the upgrade cost from Ableton 10 to 11 and its somehow more expensive than Reason upgrades, wooooooof that sucks. I wish I used FL Studio more, free upgrades for life is pretty awesome.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Lmao I just found this clip from what I assume is like a Goldie retrospective or something, but it’s so absurd, it seems like a parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PvOqd0Unk

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

imhotep posted:

Lmao I just found this clip from what I assume is like a Goldie retrospective or something, but it’s so absurd, it seems like a parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PvOqd0Unk

Yeah lmao this definitely feels like something off a sketch show. England was really trying to get people to think of producers in the same way as we do rock stars and guitarists early on, which is applaudable, but always came off a bit piss takey or cringe. Like, I love photek but opening this but with him driving his Ferrari or whatever is just lol

https://youtu.be/TyKuzY52hWU

field balm fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 2, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it is cool how a lot of the people in the transition era between what was jungle and what became drum and bass talk about how what they’re doing is just what jazz musicians did a few decades ago but with samplers and synthesizers as their main instruments

also lol @ the goldie video. goldie owns but lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

watho posted:

it is cool how a lot of the people in the transition era between what was jungle and what became drum and bass talk about how what they’re doing is just what jazz musicians did a few decades ago but with samplers and synthesizers as their main instruments

literally the same thing Carlos Alomar/etc say about the late 70s transition to New Wave and early electronic

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
"This is the jazz of the 21st century." *robot farts*

"Nice."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’m not saying johan sebastian bach was a junglist. that would be ridiculous. i’m just saying that if the amen break would’ve been invented when he was alive

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

watho posted:

i’m not saying johan sebastian bach was a junglist. that would be ridiculous. i’m just saying that if the amen break would’ve been invented when he was alive

:five:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

"This is the jazz of the 21st century." *robot farts*

"Nice."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_(Moby_album)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/gunsnrosesgirl3/status/1631006358597259275

image link b/c twitter

Pretttty sure I need one of these

Possibly two, and some kind of ceramic mixing console with obsidion faders

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's effectively a record player so you could DIY yourself something like that with a cheap turntable. Will probably make horrible screeches with a normal stylus though, so modification will be necessary (that's the fun part). But the upside is you get an electrical signal out of it which means you can plug it into "stuff."

Or a guitar pickup, any metal moving over the poles will generate a signal so you rig up an arm that drags over your rock and vibrates a piece of metal.. boom, free horrible noises. Maybe easier to hack than a turntable cartridge.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

For the longest time I wanted to do more fun stuff with bicycle wheels. Like use a wheel for a ground and put a contact against the spokes as it's spinning, and the arrangement of spokes and so forth.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

That's effectively a record player so you could DIY yourself something like that with a cheap turntable. Will probably make horrible screeches with a normal stylus though, so modification will be necessary (that's the fun part). But the upside is you get an electrical signal out of it which means you can plug it into "stuff."

Or a guitar pickup, any metal moving over the poles will generate a signal so you rig up an arm that drags over your rock and vibrates a piece of metal.. boom, free horrible noises. Maybe easier to hack than a turntable cartridge.

That one above looks like they first-principles'ed it.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

petit choux posted:

For the longest time I wanted to do more fun stuff with bicycle wheels. Like use a wheel for a ground and put a contact against the spokes as it's spinning, and the arrangement of spokes and so forth.

One of the best ways to get equal tension on a wheel’s spokes when you hand build your own is to have the wheel be plucked by something connected to a guitar tuner. Then you can adjust a ll the spokes to the same pitch and they’ll be in equal tension

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but do you tune your bicycle to 440 hz or 432 hz??

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
An idiotic idea just popped in to my head of a turntable where the motor speed and direction are controlled by a CV input so your eurorack gear could scratch.

I don't know enough about turntable performing to know if that's plausible to actually make work but I like the thought.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

An idiotic idea just popped in to my head of a turntable where the motor speed and direction are controlled by a CV input so your eurorack gear could scratch.

I don't know enough about turntable performing to know if that's plausible to actually make work but I like the thought.

It could work with a tape maybe, but I don't see a motor being capable of making a turntable scratch the same way a hand could. Turntables are heavy and have a lot of inertia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It could work with a tape maybe, but I don't see a motor being capable of making a turntable scratch the same way a hand could. Turntables are heavy and have a lot of inertia

Put a transmission in it