Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
204lb today. gf said i was looking “voluptuous”

i am running out of courage here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Are you up to 204 or down to 204?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Batterypowered7 posted:

Are you up to 204 or down to 204?
up from 175, and im scared :hr:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

up from 175, and im scared :hr:

Thiiiiicc

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i think the heaviest i’ve been was 208lb after my dad died and i ate my feelings for about 6 months, but the body dysmorphia is HITTIN and the only medicine is “benching two plates in front of other men”

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7Ni3B0F4Q

I gotta learn this technique.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
lol, that poo poo shouldn't be counted in competition.

The other french guy Pana something, who is similiar but not so bad, got red lighted at the european championships last year for that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

lol, that poo poo shouldn't be counted in competition.

The other french guy Pana something, who is similiar but not so bad, got red lighted at the european championships last year for that.

Before I opened the video up I would have guessed this was going to be about some dude with a ridiculous arch on the bench. Can't remember what video I watched recently that said competitions are enforcing a minimum amount of vertical movement for the bar to prevent some limber gently caress from dipping the bar an inch and calling it a full rep.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Yeah iirc the IPF adjusted their rules for 2023, I think the main thing is elbow level/below the shoulder joint?

edit - https://liftvault.com/resources/ipf-announces-new-bench-press-rules-for-2023/

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Batterypowered7 posted:

Before I opened the video up I would have guessed this was going to be about some dude with a ridiculous arch on the bench. Can't remember what video I watched recently that said competitions are enforcing a minimum amount of vertical movement for the bar to prevent some limber gently caress from dipping the bar an inch and calling it a full rep.

Lol I watched a video of a woman do that one inch bench before. The comments were extremely toxic.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Akane's 1 inch bench is a goated vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOq5hqqSkQ0

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Does that even reduce the ROM of the squat? It looks like you'd still have to move just as much while doing that, unless I'm missing something, doesn't seem like the abusive arching / bench grips at all just looks... uncomfortable.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
It reduces the lever moment on your hip. Imagine if the weight would sit right above your butt. It would be essentially a beltsquat.
I don't hate on the super arch bench, it's a problem in the extremely online talking spaces of lifting only. Also up till now was within the rules to do so.
For the squat there is a rule that says you should be able to stand upright before the judge gives you the start command. And that doesn't look really upright to me.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pretty sure there was a guy who snapped his forearm doing the ultra lowbar thing since it basically takes the weight off your back and puts it in your hands.

Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUoYsjyFtiA

Not as low as I remember it.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 14, 2023

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Helios Grime posted:

It reduces the lever moment on your hip. Imagine if the weight would sit right above your butt. It would be essentially a beltsquat.
I don't hate on the super arch bench, it's a problem in the extremely online talking spaces of lifting only. Also up till now was within the rules to do so.
For the squat there is a rule that says you should be able to stand upright before the judge gives you the start command. And that doesn't look really upright to me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I'll take hunchback squatting over zero ROM bench any day.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoTCIwBPBZy/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This guy causes me anxiety.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Good for health

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoUR93aAygG/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Heh

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

These guys suck

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

feelix posted:

These guys suck

turn your monitors on

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Their entire account is making fun of other people in the gym. They suck. I don't care if they're not actually doing this in person.

Before I blocked them from being suggested to me, there was at least one instance where, according to the comments, the clip they were making fun of was advanced sport specific training that they didn't understand. I believe the comments because those guys suck and you suck for liking them

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Counterpoint: The dude using the pec fly machine with his legs at the start looked pretty funny.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

On the one hand, there are sometimes people doing ridiculous things around the gym that are kinda funny. On the other hand, way too many people who would greatly benefit from going to the gym and working out are too intimidated to ever do so because they fear that people like these guys are going to mock them for their ignorance of how things work.

The correct answer is probably a general improvement of the quality of physical education, so that the average person walking into an average gym will have learned enough in school about how a gym functions to not be worried that the second they get to a bench or machine a bunch of meatheads will be snickering at them in the background.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

They're still teaching the kids algebra instead of deadlifting smh

edit: This is a "joke", but yes I agree they could learn both

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Don't most machines have illustrations about how to use them?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

Don't most machines have illustrations about how to use them?
I guess that makes it ok to make fun of people at the gym

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

feelix posted:

Honestly, if these "gym fails" type channels would give their content even the slightest bit of a non-rear end in a top hat spin they would probably be okay. Like maybe do a quick "this is how you actually do this exercise", "everybody starts out not knowing how this works - don't be afraid to ask the gym staff", and/or a "the gym's a good place to be" message once in a while would go a long way to counter-acting the negativity they bring about.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

feelix posted:

You are absolutely insufferable.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

You are absolutely insufferable.
To you, because you're a loving rear end in a top hat. You should quit the gym so your health goes to poo poo and you die faster

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

feelix posted:

To you, because you're a loving rear end in a top hat. You should quit the gym so your health goes to poo poo and you die faster

Who hurt you?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think some gym fails are funny.

Like the ones where folks are being jerks and fail. Screwing up ego lifts. Using equipment in a really stupid and/or dangerous way. Anything cross-fit.

The ones where it's folks who just don't know what they're doing or take on more than they can manage aren't funny. The stuff that's clearly staged isn't funny, either.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Ok we can choose peace and disagree without telling the other person they should die please thank you

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

LanceHunter posted:

Honestly, if these "gym fails" type channels would give their content even the slightest bit of a non-rear end in a top hat spin they would probably be okay. Like maybe do a quick "this is how you actually do this exercise", "everybody starts out not knowing how this works - don't be afraid to ask the gym staff", and/or a "the gym's a good place to be" message once in a while would go a long way to counter-acting the negativity they bring about.

This. Going to the gym is intimidating enough and it's important to acknowledge that. Yeah you might have walked into a gym for the first time and been hot poo poo and not scared but lots of people struggle just to go through the door for the first time and we should celebrate the fact that they overcame their fear and are at least trying to get fit and better themselves. And 90 percent of the time the super fit guys are the ones that will go out of their way to help someone new and poo poo like this just continues the stereotype of gym bros being assholes

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

LanceHunter posted:

That's definitely a nice take, but I guess they have a market they're aiming for and that's not going to cater to it. I assume that market is shitheads who also do this.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

you're right how could I make fun of stuff like this

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/655773590301704202/1080578569421459466/z8bjHGRQcrXOg6tv.mp4

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Pretty sure that video is making fun of fitness influencers constantly coming up with new One Weird Trick ways to misuse the equipment in order to drive engagement among their audience of people who haven't figured out how to put in consistent effort. Always fun seeing the Athlean X fans out themselves with that dipshit sideways single dumbell curl

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Concatenation posted:

Pretty sure that video is making fun of fitness influencers constantly coming up with new One Weird Trick ways to misuse the equipment in order to drive engagement among their audience of people who haven't figured out how to put in consistent effort. Always fun seeing the Athlean X fans out themselves with that dipshit sideways single dumbell curl

I always joke around with one of my friends and ask him if he's done his daily face pulls (because Mr. Athlean X will be upset if he hasn't)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

following machine instructions only limits your potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkjTGNkzBQ

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

feelix posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
pwo overdose victim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

I always joke around with one of my friends and ask him if he's done his daily face pulls (because Mr. Athlean X will be upset if he hasn't)

Do you then point and laugh at people in the gym who don't know what they're doing you piece of poo poo