Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"shut up, kimbal! mom knows I'm the smart one!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EricBauman posted:

remember last week when they said the same thing about the new factory in germany but walked that back a few days later because actually it turned out that us subsidies are too good to manufacture anything elsewhere.
the subsidies in the IRA mostly apply to cars made in North America, so Mexico would be fine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao it's mom from Futurama, complete with idiot sons

e: gently caress it's perfect

gently caress I knew I recognized that look from somewhere, you're exactly right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LMAO all the business articles about this fuckup of an event better be funny to read.

"We pass the costs on to buyers now!"
Tesla Mars Catalog, huddled around an iPad, crying oh God it's beautiful!

"Hydrogen is hard to make, we figured out that to be a Class N7 space faring race we need to frack the water"

"Cybertruck will use hydrogen cold jets to power a new battery chemistry"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol perfect

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like musk suddenly being big on hydrogen just because all the EV early adopters hate hydrogen so it's funny

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm assuming that by using 48V it means safety regulators classify it as low voltage (usually it's anything under 50V) so they can cheap out on safety systems or something cuz i can't imagine another reason why you'd want to lower voltages for a thing that uses tens of kilowatts constantly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sandy munro still riding that poo poo hard, i see

i seriously hope they drove at least two dump trucks full of cash up to the guy's house for this kind of debasement of his professional reputation

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

can't imagine why the suspension needs to be larger than any other truck on the market

certainly not because it weighs more than an aircraft carrier or anything

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It must have taken a lot of effort to make the front seating area look cramped while also wasting a ton of space.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm curious both how much weight those can actually handle, and how long it will take for the seals/gaskets to go

watching the first person to try to actually load the bed blow their suspension out like stomping on a juice box would be hilarious.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

i'm curious both how much weight those can actually handle, and how long it will take for the seals/gaskets to go

watching the first person to try to actually load the bed blow their suspension out like stomping on a juice box would be hilarious.

my wife's always bringing up that one kid that had a chair's gas piston explode and spear them in the rear end whenever I sit down kinda hard on a chair, i'd imagine it'd be something like that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't understand, she's saying that to prevent you from dropping on the chair too hard?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this is the first time i've actually tried to look up the story and i can't really find any evidence it's either fake or real after 5 seconds of googling, there's just a picture of an exploded office chair and rumors. however i did find out that reddit has a very active board where people just discuss goddamn office chairs

https://www.reddit.com/r/OfficeChairs/comments/mwpjl9/is_the_gas_cylinder_explosion_story_bullshit/

mostly posting because i really like this dude and his flair

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

good luck with that tiny rear end cargo area, you'd have to use depleted uranium

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't understand, she's saying that to prevent you from dropping on the chair too hard?

well the kid supposedly died so it wouldn't be the most fun rear end-spearing i've had in my life

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

well the kid supposedly died so it wouldn't be the most fun rear end-spearing i've had in my life

I mean if it was the only one it technically would be

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I mean if it was the only one it technically would be

buddy i'm named Shame Boy, do you really think it would be the only one?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's good to have assspearations in life

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

buddy i'm named Shame Boy, do you really think it would be the only one?

disappointingly pounded in the butt by my office chair in an unfortunate pounding accident

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Shame Boy posted:

i'm assuming that by using 48V it means safety regulators classify it as low voltage (usually it's anything under 50V) so they can cheap out on safety systems or something cuz i can't imagine another reason why you'd want to lower voltages for a thing that uses tens of kilowatts constantly

the battery, inverter, and motors will remain hv. they'll be replacing 12v (hvac, lights, computers, cameras, etc) with 48v to reduce wiring gauge thickness. it'll save money for tesla but it'll cost more for customers to maintain so that's pretty much on brand for them

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the battery, inverter, and motors will remain hv. they'll be replacing 12v (hvac, lights, computers, cameras, etc) with 48v to reduce wiring gauge thickness. it'll save money for tesla but it'll cost more for customers to maintain so that's pretty much on brand for them

tbf there's not a company on this planet that won't do their best to pass on any cost they can off onto the customer.

it's just that most companies don't shout it from the rooftops because their customers won't gladly gargle their piss and ask for more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
48v is actually really cool, but car manufacturers have formed consortiums and been in the process of working together to migrate to it for like over a decade. He of course doesn't care about repairability or interoperability so he's taking credit for being the 'pioneer' of it. I hate him and wish he would get in a FSD tesla on an autobahn lined with fire trucks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

ohhhh that makes a lot more sense, ok

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I thought there was a general industry-wide move towards 48V, new cars already have an increasing number of 48V parts and at some point they're going to switch over the battery and small electronics too.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a36331077/48-volt-hybrid-system-explained/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32883694/mercedes-amg-electric-turbocharger/

This stuff is showing up in non-luxury stuff like V6 Dodge trucks and Mazdas new SUVs too.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought there was a general industry-wide move towards 48V, new cars already have an increasing number of 48V parts and at some point they're going to switch over the battery and small electronics too.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a36331077/48-volt-hybrid-system-explained/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32883694/mercedes-amg-electric-turbocharger/

This stuff is showing up in non-luxury stuff like V6 Dodge trucks and Mazdas new SUVs too.

those are drive-train related power systems. i'm not aware of passenger vehicles using 48v dome lights atm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the big sticking point is that you won't be able to directly accessorize a 48v system with 12v things, but it's 2023, and i can go on the internet and get a DC-DC buck converter that will eat 48v at 5 amps and output 12v at 20 amps for my ham radio, and it's the size of a pack of smokes, costs $20 and has 95% efficiency.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

those are drive-train related power systems. i'm not aware of passenger vehicles using 48v dome lights atm

There's a lot of LED interior lighting in cars, which is already doing a voltage conversion because LEDs need a driver to manage power for them and could just as easily take in 48V as 12V.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

There's a lot of LED interior lighting in cars, which is already doing a voltage conversion because LEDs need a driver to manage power for them and could just as easily take in 48V as 12V.

sounds like its not a big deal then

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
POTS has 48V, no one really uses that anymore. instant country wide charging network!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fins posted:

POTS has 48V, no one really uses that anymore. instant country wide charging network!
Power-over-Ethernet as well. Get your free charging from an IP phone.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

wait why does 48v cost more to maintain

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Elder Postsman posted:

wait why does 48v cost more to maintain

i assumed you'd need to buy 48v electronics if you had to replace anything but apparently everything has dc-dc converters built in any way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i assumed you'd need to buy 48v electronics if you had to replace anything but apparently everything has dc-dc converters built in any way

i think it's pretty optimistic to assume they can accept 48V as they are now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao :discourse:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

any usb ports will need a voltage convertor as well

those 12v cigarette lighter outlets are a terrible design anyways and were never intended to be used in the way they are now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mine still has a cig lighter socket but its tucked way up on the firewall under the dash on the passenger side. right where that garbage should be

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
To summarize:

1. 48v automotive electrical systems are a good idea when you're replacing engine driven accessories with electric ones.
2. Other automakers are doing them as well for similar reasons.
3. Other automakers are making the switch slowly and carefully because despite the benefits the majority of the automotive supply chain is built around 12v.
4. Tesla doesn't believe in slow and careful and will probably provide many "love the car, though" moments when they ship it with little to no testing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/1631283739991867392

good, but also lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

only after a frontal lobotomy can you truly love the car