Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

I'm planning to upgrade my setup, currently using ancient DFGT, the wheel still feels acceptable for my level driving, but pedals are utter poo poo, specially the brake. I'm planning to get Fanatec CLS pedals with Load Cell kit, or go for something like G29? I sorta want clutch for "immersion" since i'm building DIY h-shifter.

if you don't drop a grand on heusinkveld ultimate+ pedals you might as well not race at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A grand? Like, ONE grand???

For a babby's first racing setup, maybe, but if you want to actually git gud...

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
fr there are single pedals that cost more than that now

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Cojawfee posted:

Before they added the ability to turn off damage for custom races, I was told to go back to Forza because I asked for the ability to have no damage in solo practice. People on the iracing forums hate anything that could possibly help someone that isn't 100% accurate and also does not affect them in the slightest.

If you post anything online with an audience someone somewhere will be leaping to their keyboard to let you know what a stupid loving idea it is shortly afterwards.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009

skimothy milkerson posted:

if you don't drop a grand on heusinkveld ultimate+ pedals you might as well not race at all

But then I can't blame my poor equipment for my lousy laptimes?

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Heh, you weren't kidding about locking your chair to the rig. That CSL LC Break pedal is Stiff.

Now I just need to adjust my brain to figure out breaking with pressure, instead of well angle of my foot? Still missing breaking points and messing up everything, but somehow I feel that I much more in control.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Heh, you weren't kidding about locking your chair to the rig. That CSL LC Break pedal is Stiff.

Now I just need to adjust my brain to figure out breaking with pressure, instead of well angle of my foot? Still missing breaking points and messing up everything, but somehow I feel that I much more in control.

I replaced my g27 pedals with the CSL LC as well a few months ago. Night and day. Super happy that I got them. Takes a while to get used to it but once it clicks it feels like magic compared to how frustrating braking used to be for me. Don't get me wrong, I am still bad. But getting the car to turn into corners etc feels so much more intuitive now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Yep, thats normal. You're gonna be slower for a while, then it will all click in your brain

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I was painfully slower when I first got my LC brake, took me a day or two to really start feeling it. Totally worth it though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I was never fast to begin with, but when I switched to a LC pedal I felt so much more in control in every corner that it was like night and day.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I think within a day of switching, once I remembered to set the curve in iRacing to linear, I was half a second faster.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, yeah also set the brake boost, or brake compensation, or whatever it is to 0

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When I switched to LC brakes from the G29 brakes I was pretty much the same speed for the first bit but I think it would have really prevented me from getting any better/pushing lap times. It's the difference between being able to be right at the limit of adhesion (on non-ABS cars) and having to compromise to avoid locking up. The wheel upgrade from G29 into a proper fanatec product may have increased my enjoyment the most, but the brakes absolutely had a way bigger impact on my performance.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

If I had to go back a pot brake now I'd probably be like "nah I'll just go do something else"

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

njsykora posted:

You have the right idea to turn off the racing line, learning tracks by yourself and finding your own braking points and lines will make you faster long term. Progression isn't really a thing in modern sim racing, every game that's tried it in the past has generally just had it modded out almost immediately so now you're just given a pile of content and told to go nuts. Most games these days are tuned for Logitech wheels right out the box since they're the most popular so don't worry too much about FFB, though look up how to check for FFB clipping in various games and make sure you're not putting too much force into it. Button mapping the only things I'd make sure are set correctly are pit speed limiters and Most games now also have a "real" setting for ABS and TC since a lot of real world racing cars have them, so I'd recommend that because driving a GT3 car with ABS and TC disabled is neither fun nor realistic. Championships are really all you're going to find for major single player content, ACC has various real world GT championships since it's the licensed SRO GT game, Automobilista has the Stock Car Brasil license so has the complete real world championship for those alongside some others and a custom championship tool.

For AMS2 specifically since it's the game I play most often I'd recommend trying the Formula Trainer or Formula Vee cars, they're slower open wheelers that are designed to teach you basic car control, pretty much every sandbox sim racing game has one of these. From there look at the GT4/Formula 3 stuff or just try out whatever you think looks cool. I'm a big fan of the Sprint Race cars personally, but what you come in expecting to like might not be what you end up enjoying most. You may find you end up in love with 1970s touring cars.

VelociBacon posted:

Welcome to the hobby!

I can tell by the questions you're asking that you might really enjoy the iRacing experience, which is where all of us spend most of our time and do endurance races with each other etc. iRacing starts you in relatively slower cars (miatas), you can absolutely practice by yourself or race AI in a lot of cars but it's also a blast to hop into an open practice session and try to follow people around and watch your lap times improve. Theres some one-time 3 month pass for 5 bucks or something you can do for iRacing, I would really recommend you give that a go, and really you should hop into our discord regardless at https://discord.gg/D7Gb9Z5.

There's always people in the server who are around and want to help so it's also a great place to ask questions about non-iRacing sims.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I've spent some more time in AMS and ACC, but I'll give iRacing a look.

I think my physical positioning is kinda funky with my pedals in relation to my feet. I keep hitting the clutch every so often as I brake, so I just removed the pedal plate from it for now as I just focus on shifting with automatic clutch.

Might try and find a used seat + stand.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It begins.....

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
RIP to that person's wallet.

Also elevating the pedals is a must even if you don't have a rig.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GutBomb posted:

Anyone still playing assetto corsa?

I've been stockpiling mod tracks and cars and want to see if anyone is interested in doing a weekly goonrace with it? It's come a long way in the past couple years with the mods and it's still really good.

If anyone's interested I can put a list of available tracks and cars and we can pick a few good places to race/trackday/whatever. Then I can pack that week's cars/tracks into a zip so everyone has the content they need to race and I can set up a server.

I can also set up an effort-post on how to get it all set up with the Content Manager/Sol/Custom Shaders Patch mods so it looks like a modern game.

I posted this back in April 2020, and then got distracted and never revisited it, but I really want some goon racing fun times so... is anyone else interested in setting up a weekly Assetto Corsa goon racing series for fun in goofy cars and goofy tracks from the extended mod universe? Here's what I propose for the first week:

Cars:
Autozam AZ-1 Download
Honda Beat Download
Suzuki Cappuccino Download

Tracks:
Brands Hatch Indy (in the base game)
Okayama Piper Download
Maple Valley FM7 Short Reverse Download

10 or 15 laps each, with either a warmup or cooldown cruise in the kei cars in Shutoko Revival Project 0.9.2 PTB - Shibaura Download

Is anyone interested? Lets do it this time!

edit: updated the link to the autozam and cappuccino, they were both broken for online, but now they are fixed.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 17, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I posted this back in April 2020, and then got distracted and never revisited it, but I really want some goon racing fun times so... is anyone else interested in setting up a weekly Assetto Corsa goon racing series for fun in goofy cars and goofy tracks from the extended mod universe? Here's what I propose for the first week:

Cars:
Autozam AZ-1 Download
Honda Beat Download
Suzuki Cappuccino Download

Tracks:
Brands Hatch Indy (in the base game)
Okayama Piper Download
Maple Valley FM7 Short Reverse Download

10 or 15 laps each, with either a warmup or cooldown cruise in the kei cars in Shutoko Revival Project 0.9.2 PTB - Shibaura Download

Is anyone interested? Lets do it this time!

You should join the discord because you'll have a lot more people seeing it/being reminded about it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Game/comments/11yn1ru/f1_esport_cheating_i_am_the_creator_of_the_free/

quote:

I started developing cheats for F1 for a couple of reasons, i am actually a top 100 legit player on 70% of circuits (time trial), you would prob wont take my word for it and you do not have to.

but i released the cheats for 3 reasons

To Kill paid cheats for F1, destroying their business model
Force EA / CM to implement kernel level anti cheat as a bare minimum
Expose "esporters" for cheating

Please dont forget, just because i am a guy releasing free public cheats, doesnt mean it wasnt possible before.Bypassing the detections they have in place is really super simple, and basicly this game at current stage doesnt deserve to hold esport competitions, and it never has.

Also it isnt simply about internet credits, its about 1m in prize money.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That game and it's forced esports presence is a marketing vehicle for F1 (no pun intended) so I find it hard to get too excited about the cheating stuff. Do any professional drivers (F1 ones included) actually show up in those races like they do in iracing? Like on their own time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

VelociBacon posted:

That game and it's forced esports presence is a marketing vehicle for F1 (no pun intended) so I find it hard to get too excited about the cheating stuff. Do any professional drivers (F1 ones included) actually show up in those races like they do in iracing? Like on their own time.

The esports series isn't for the actual series drivers, it's basically for the team's simulator drivers and to find new ones. So there is actual work done by the people who race in it, not on the actual F1 games though. Some of the people in it have gone on to full driver academy places as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Codemasters is a very show up for work, do the bare minimum, and then call it a day developer. They are not going to see any of this or make necessary changes. They don't care.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Codemasters is a very show up for work, do the bare minimum, and then call it a day developer. They are not going to see any of this or make necessary changes. They don't care.

Let's not suggest that the developers at Codemasters wanting to have a normal work-life balance has anything to do with whether the game has anti-cheat or not, tia.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
It would not be terribly hard to have a proper cheat detection for e-sport matches, it just means you need to send control inputs to the server and have it run it's own local copy of the physics models and log discrepancies. It wouldn't change anything for clientside really, doesn't even need to be realtime as such. It's not really viable for normal MP since it takes significant server horsepower to run and will have some degree of false positives but for e-sports it's not all that hard.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Please do not force game developers to write kernel level anti-cheat jesus christ

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

Please do not force game developers to write kernel level anti-cheat jesus christ

I'm okay with them not doing it if they stop presenting the product as a viable product for competition. Don't ask people to take it seriously in that context if you the developers aren't yourselves - lead by example etc.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Anticheat, kernel level or not, won't do much for esports, there is enough at stake that circumventing it is worth it. But again, you can log inputs and run verification on them, a low fidelity version of that is used to provide replays already. It would stop internal game state cheating pretty dead, at least for competitions where they can actually be bothered to run it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Lol none of the actual F1 drivers touch the F1 game unless they’re getting paid to do it for marketing.

Iracing is where you’ll see F1 drivers

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

It begins.....

Look, I have definitely not spent the last few weeks trying to optimize my setup. At no point did I start to examine the market for beginner racing seats, and scoured the classified to see if there was a good deal or looked at buying new. I absolutely did not find an old pair of shoes that most resemble a racing shoe to give my feet a bit of support, as I spend hours in Asetto switching between GT3 cars on Brands Hatch and an incredibly detailed reproduction of the SF-23 2023 F1 Ferrari on Spa learning where to lift and where to be brave and keep it floored, only to bin it at the last corner.

None of this ever happened and has not sucked all my spare time away from me as I ponder how many thousands I can spend here..

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
an absolutely criminally overpriced push pull shifter released right as i do my taxes late as hell and get a refund.... time to get swindled

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Pricey pedals and wheels that gleam like gold in the dark. I've watched rigs come together, built on the backs of credit cards and empty wallets. All those dreams and sacrifices will be lost in time, like pit stops in a race. Time to budget.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Finally got a close friend to buy a wheel to play some DR2. Are there any fun driving sims for two players online? We could hotlap in Assetto Corsa or iracing, but are there other options I might not be considering? I see on steam that Snowrunner has a coop mode for example; is that fun?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Co-op Snowrunner is always a good time, though I've never played it with a wheel. There's also the various multiplayer mods for Euro/American Truck Simulator.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

edit : Fat fingered posting.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

njsykora posted:

Co-op Snowrunner is always a good time, though I've never played it with a wheel. There's also the various multiplayer mods for Euro/American Truck Simulator.

Snowrunner is excellent and much better co-op, but in no world would I recommend playing it in first person with a wheel unless you're a masochist. You simply need the visibility of 3rd person to deal with all the buggy terrain.

Some people (lunatics) seem to enjoy it though, so give it a shot I suppose!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol i was gonna order a fancy doodle wheel for my podium mount (Hub?) but was like nah at the last second and cancelled & got the refund but they sent it anyway. one neat trick...

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 27, 2023

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Homeless Friend posted:

lol i was gonna order a fancy doodle wheel for my podium mount but was like nah at the last second and cancelled & got the refund but they sent it anyway. one neat trick...

lol extremely epic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now that the Fanatec CSL DD has been out for a while, have there been any widespread issues identified with it? I'm thinking of ebaying all of my T300RS stuff and picking one up.

My only hesitation is the Thrustmaster has been dead-on reliable for like 5 years now for me and I'd rather not downgrade in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I heard about issues when it first came out, but haven't seen widespread complaints recently.