Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jen X posted:

It was a really brave decision to establish Casmaron as an entire continent developed by chatGPT, but it's made for some really consistent (if incredibly generic) adventures

If you run the adventures enough you can make it really really racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Boba Pearl posted:

Maybe you should have learned to do a job that pays instead of whining about how other people make art? No-one's lamenting failed twitch streamers because they don't get to sit around and play video games for a living. Sorry your hobby isn't marketable.

source you're quotes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Not to carry on this derail, but I would like to lie a ton about poo poo I know nothing about, and prove why everyone hates artists.

And the art's not stolen, you posted it on the web for people to see, and someone or something learned off of it. You can't actually copyright a style.
That seems like some spurious bullshi--

Boba Pearl posted:

Maybe you should have learned to do a job that pays instead of whining about how other people make art? No-one's lamenting failed twitch streamers because they don't get to sit around and play video games for a living. Sorry your hobby isn't marketable.

--there it is. Nothing says "I am worth loving" like being a callow bully and sniping when people (correctly) point out that the AI hype train is another in a long line of magic beans and attempts to manufacture a gold rush that will eventually settle the gently caress down.

I was being even-handed earlier but seriously get a hobby. I hear Pathfinder 2e can be nice.

--------------------------

I finally ran "A Fistful of Flowers" and while the newbies struggled, I chalk that up far more to their complete unwillingness to read up on the cheat sheets I sent them and not an actual problem with the system. Ran very, very smoothly once we got it going. I'm already queuing up "Little Trouble in Big Absolom" for some other newbies, although we'll probably have them create their own Kobolds.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Little Trouble is fun, and the premade characters aren't bad. It's also very neatly got a middle point where you can end the one shot or make it a two parter.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lamuella posted:

I'm entirely fine with Paizo not cutting off an income stream for artists tbh.

:same:

Also lmao at "well getting actual art would be expensive so that's how I'm going to justify blatant art theft, gently caress y'all"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have a hobby I'm an artist 🎨 😌 I can afford to make art for myself because I went into a job that pays me enough that I can have hobbies. I draw 6 or 7 hours a day and am truly fulfilled by it. I'm sorry Capitalism took what could have been a very fun job from you, but it doesn't change the fact that you could be making fulfilling art for yourself and doing a job, instead of trying to make your passion your jzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz cccc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I put all my skill increases into posting badly

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Your use of AI art for your own satisfaction is not the discussion, Boba. You said in the PYF comics thread that you train your AI on your art so it's your style. That's arguably fine! What people are discussing is the modern way AI art steals other people's art and then people want to use that stolen and remixed art for monetary gain. Paizo wants no part of that, and frankly it's exploitive to clamor for it.

Also your "just retrain as a coder and get a real job lol" style argument is really gross. By that argument anyone who wants to publish an RPG but can't afford an artist should just get a better job so they can. It's not helpful.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 2, 2023

Serf
May 5, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

I have a hobby I'm an artist 🎨 😌 I can afford to make art for myself because I went into a job that pays me enough that I can have hobbies. I draw 6 or 7 hours a day and am truly fulfilled by it. I'm sorry Capitalism took what could have been a very fun job from you, but it doesn't change the fact that you could be making fulfilling art for yourself and doing a job, instead of trying to make your passion your jzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz cccc

Shut the gently caress up

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah my ESA is trying to knock my keyboard off the desk, and signalling it's time for wlakies and extra meds, I don't even believe the "get a real job" thing because obviously people can't always choose how they support themselves, capiotalism forces a lot of people into lovely situations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

No reason to force an entire industry of people into shittier situations if we can help it, though!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
100% agreed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So is the Treasure Vault worth getting? I'm 2 sessions into GMing a Pathfinder campaign for the first time and thus high on the idea of buying all the books. My guys are about to visit a large city, so so having options for them for shopping etc would be good, on the other hand I don't want to lay down significant cash if the items etc in the book are only so-so.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

AI art is so terrible because it's being discussed in every thread I read. Especially in the Pathfinder 2e thread where Paizo just released the awesome Treasure Vault book.

To return the conversation back to pathfinder, hopefully, I was wondering what people thought of the new voicebox item from the Treasure Vault? It's a 5sp necklace that allows the wearer to translate their thoughts into an audible voice in a language that the hearer can understand.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Search.aspx?q=voicebox

What does "nonverbal" mean? I don't see it listed anywhere besides this items description. I kind of assume the item's intent was that it would be used by a mute character. However, it seems really useful for basically talking to everybody. Or also for a spellcaster to be able to cast verbal components even if they can't speak for whatever reason.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Lamuella posted:

So is the Treasure Vault worth getting? I'm 2 sessions into GMing a Pathfinder campaign for the first time and thus high on the idea of buying all the books. My guys are about to visit a large city, so so having options for them for shopping etc would be good, on the other hand I don't want to lay down significant cash if the items etc in the book are only so-so.

I think so, I'm on my phone right now, but you can look over them here: https://2e.aonprd.com/Sources.aspx?ID=191 I personally found the book a good read though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That is interesting. I would think if it let a spellcaster avoid a silence condition it would be more powerful than a level 0 item, so I think it most likely is just for letting someone who otherwise can't talk talk to people who don't know sign or aren't telepathic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

gurragadon posted:

AI art is so terrible because it's being discussed in every thread I read. Especially in the Pathfinder 2e thread where Paizo just released the awesome Treasure Vault book.

To return the conversation back to pathfinder, hopefully, I was wondering what people thought of the new voicebox item from the Treasure Vault? It's a 5sp necklace that allows the wearer to translate their thoughts into an audible voice in a language that the hearer can understand.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Search.aspx?q=voicebox

What does "nonverbal" mean? I don't see it listed anywhere besides this items description. I kind of assume the item's intent was that it would be used by a mute character. However, it seems really useful for basically talking to everybody. Or also for a spellcaster to be able to cast verbal components even if they can't speak for whatever reason.

To correct your reading there it's not any language the hearer can understand. It's any language the wearer can understand. It's an accessibility tool, not a universal translator.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I know blindness and deafness can be magically inflicted permanent effects. Is "muteness" a thing? Can it be permanent?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lamuella posted:

if you're looking for options for shopping, I'd pick up the grand bazaar first - it also has a lot of items, but it's got them packaged as fun shops with shopkeeper npcs to interact with, so it's more immediately gameable than the treasure vault. on the other hand treasure vault fixes alchemists apparently, so

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Lamuella posted:

To correct your reading there it's not any language the hearer can understand. It's any language the wearer can understand. It's an accessibility tool, not a universal translator.

Yeah your right, I misread that last sentence. I kind of figured it was meant to be an accessibility tool but I was just wondering if I could get some use out of it.

marshmallow creep posted:

I know blindness and deafness can be magically inflicted permanent effects. Is "muteness" a thing? Can it be permanent?

There's a spell that can cause somebody to be mute.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=1268

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

It's not intended as a way around any sort of mechanical debuff or condition. It's specifically a roleplaying tool for a specific sort of player/fantasy/accesibility/representation situation. See also, stuff like the various prosthetic and wheelchair type items.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lamuella posted:

So if my wits wash buckler puts it on and speaks he's speaking in all the languages he knows at the same time? Instead of having to try out each language one by one?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If this were a 5e item rather than a pf2e item it would be a big hit among kenku

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

It's not intended as a way around any sort of mechanical debuff or condition. It's specifically a roleplaying tool for a specific sort of player/fantasy/accesibility/representation situation. See also, stuff like the various prosthetic and wheelchair type items.

I mean I know its intended as a roleplaying tool, but if it's available I wanna use it. Like I kind of want a legchair because there so awesome tbh.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

So if my wits wash buckler puts it on and speaks he's speaking in all the languages he knows at the same time? Instead of having to try out each language one by one?

The way I picture this sounds like distressing chaos. Like a one person flock of seagulls just going off in a half dozen languages.

But I think it's meant to be "speak in a language you understand but otherwise can't speak."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

I think "any" rather than "all". So if you know Dwarven and Goblin you can make it use either.

Thinking more about this, the relatively low price makes me think it's in the same category as wheelchairs in guns & gears, something that's there to make it more possible to include disabilities in the world of the game.

EDIT: beaten to this last one by Chevy Slyme

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Got it. Okay I see accessibility tool this makes sense.

I have a dream character, that is mute some iterations, where you take the acrobatic performance feat and a couple others and you get something that if you squint a little and fudge a lot let's you have a visual bard using dex for casting. My GM would not allow

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Your GM sucks that's awesome

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Harold Fjord posted:

Got it. Okay I see accessibility tool this makes sense.

I have a dream character, that is mute some iterations, where you take the acrobatic performance feat and a couple others and you get something that if you squint a little and fudge a lot let's you have a visual bard using dex for casting. My GM would not allow

This is great. Your GM is foolish.

Lamuella posted:

It's absolutely worth it, yeah, although you might want to just go with the PDF for now. It's got some errata.

If you're an Alchemist I can't imagine not having it, you get radioactive bombs. Radioactive bombs!!!! Little bottles of monsters that come alive and goof off for a round. It's great!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Mime or interpretative dance bard has to be a thing somehow.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate that the conversation has moved on in the last few posts but I'd like to underscore, this isn't the thread for dumb slapfights about AI art and the ethics thereof, so thank you all in advance for resuming the chill on that topic.

We do have a separate thread for AI tools for roleplaying for anyone who wants to delve into the topic more, which I will edit a link to into this post shortly.

Edit: here! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020822

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Mime or interpretative dance bard has to be a thing somehow.

College of Swords in 5e is basically interpretative dance with stabbing.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

It's probably the "dex for casting" that is the issue there, since that has some pretty big balance implications. Since Dex is already used for your defense and your offense with ranged or finesse weapons, using it for your spell attacks / DCs would be super strong.

That said, you can probably get halfway there by taking Acrobatic Performer, which doesn't let dex set your DCs, but you could use it for Performance checks (including stuff like Lingering Composition). You could also take Sign Language, and in fact the Core Rulebook suggests giving that to deaf or mute characters for free.

If you specify that you still need to make some sounds for casting, on top of the above (say, rhythmically hitting the ground or something), so that Silence still affects you, I'd say that's absolutely balanced.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

VikingofRock posted:

It's probably the "dex for casting" that is the issue there, since that has some pretty big balance implications. Since Dex is already used for your defense and your offense with ranged or finesse weapons, using it for your spell attacks / DCs would be super strong.

That said, you can probably get halfway there by taking Acrobatic Performer, which doesn't let dex set your DCs, but you could use it for Performance checks (including stuff like Lingering Composition). You could also take Sign Language, and in fact the Core Rulebook suggests giving that to deaf or mute characters for free.

If you specify that you still need to make some sounds for casting, on top of the above (say, rhythmically hitting the ground or something), so that Silence still affects you, I'd say that's absolutely balanced.

I will note that RAW, Acrobatic Performance can only be used for checks to Perform, which does not include Lingering Performance.

Would I allow it? I'd have to think about the ramifications a bit, but probably?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Cyouni posted:

I will note that RAW, Acrobatic Performance can only be used for checks to Perform, which does not include Lingering Performance.

Would I allow it? I'd have to think about the ramifications a bit, but probably?

:ughh: Good catch, I should have caught that.

E: that said, it's not so bad using Cha for everything anyways. Cha isn't just for spoken word, I would absolutely think that it might describe your ability to do a dance performance as well.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 2, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The conversation passed, but I took a walk and my meds and I realize I was being a huge rear end in a top hat. Sorry.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You're good.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
As GM I'd have to think really hard about allowing interpretive dance as a replacement for verbal spell components, especially if the spell also had a somatic component.

Not saying it's not an awesome idea, it just has some odd implications: Could you cast spells in the dark? If you're hiding, would this give you the ability to cast without blowing your cover? If you're alone, who exactly are you performing for? Could you really Stride twice and then Twyla Tharpe a single-action spell out, all in one turn?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah. I'd treat songs/spells that employ a sonic effect one way and components another. The drum beat/silence is a great balance idea.

The real questionable part, as noted, is getting to just stack dex at the expense of everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mirage posted:

As GM I'd have to think really hard about allowing interpretive dance as a replacement for verbal spell components, especially if the spell also had a somatic component.

Not saying it's not an awesome idea, it just has some odd implications: Could you cast spells in the dark? If you're hiding, would this give you the ability to cast without blowing your cover? If you're alone, who exactly are you performing for? Could you really Stride twice and then Twyla Tharpe a single-action spell out, all in one turn?

Just treat is at as a reflavoring with no mechanical implications and then I really don't see why not