Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

chainchompz posted:

Isn't there crossover comics with dredd and aliens? Not like a writing team would have nothing to start with, too.

There is, it's even written by Dredd co-creator John Wagner and considered canon to the mainline Dredd universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

There is, it's even written by Dredd co-creator John Wagner and considered canon to the mainline Dredd universe.

That owns

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Sweet! I'm glad I didn't fever dream that one. Gonna ask about it at the comic shop next time I'm there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:hmmyes:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Fairly sure they said they wanted Glover for Predators but couldn't, so we got Fishburne instead.

Edit: Dredd owns because everything is in continuity, every single cross over. Its great.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 27, 2023

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The crossover with Stormwatch by Warren Ellis is, I think, now canon to the DC universe since the Wildstorm comics universe was incorporated into their multiverse, and it was canon to Wildstorm.

The author didn't want to do it, but then they told him he could kill whoever he wanted, so he used the aliens to gut the big superhero team so he could launch a different one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've had an interesting series of conversations with my beloved.

I had just found out a few days ago that Prey existed because I live in a media black hole lately, so I wanted to watch Predator and Predator 2 again first. So Saturday and Sunday nights we did that. For the record, she has seen these movies before, but doesn't have a great memory.

So after Predator, she said it was good, but she really likes the next one where he makes friends with a kid.

So, I says, that's not the next one and you really like that one? Really?

She says she does. Last night we watched Prey, and today in the car I asked what she thought of it. She thought it was good, but she still likes the one where the kid shares candy with the Predator.

So, relieved, I said, that's what you meant? That brief scene where the kid offers candy?

:sparkles: She was like yeah, especially because it looked like a poor area.

...It was a cemetery. It didn't look poor.

:sparkles: Oh, no, I mean the other one where it's like in a big rundown warehouse. There's a kid who shares candy with the Predator.

So I haven't watched The Predator since the first time, and that was on a plane, but I ask if she means the one where the kid gets the Predator helmet and figures out their language.

She says no, she just remembers that one part, where they became friends.

My hamster wheels were running in overdrive, when finally I figure it out. It wasn't a Predator movie at all, she was thinking of when Teal'c was turning into a bug monster on SG-1.

Spoilered in case you want to guess before looking.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beachcomber posted:

I've had an interesting series of conversations with my beloved.

I had just found out a few days ago that Prey existed because I live in a media black hole lately, so I wanted to watch Predator and Predator 2 again first. So Saturday and Sunday nights we did that. For the record, she has seen these movies before, but doesn't have a great memory.

So after Predator, she said it was good, but she really likes the next one where he makes friends with a kid.

So, I says, that's not the next one and you really like that one? Really?

She says she does. Last night we watched Prey, and today in the car I asked what she thought of it. She thought it was good, but she still likes the one where the kid shares candy with the Predator.

So, relieved, I said, that's what you meant? That brief scene where the kid offers candy?

:sparkles: She was like yeah, especially because it looked like a poor area.

...It was a cemetery. It didn't look poor.

:sparkles: Oh, no, I mean the other one where it's like in a big rundown warehouse. There's a kid who shares candy with the Predator.

So I haven't watched The Predator since the first time, and that was on a plane, but I ask if she means the one where the kid gets the Predator helmet and figures out their language.

She says no, she just remembers that one part, where they became friends.

My hamster wheels were running in overdrive, when finally I figure it out. It wasn't a Predator movie at all, she was thinking of when Teal'c was turning into a bug monster on SG-1.

Spoilered in case you want to guess before looking.
I mean there is the scene in the cemetery in P2 where a kid offers the stealthed Predator some candy. They don't really become friends though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 1, 2023

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

I mean there is the scene in the cemetery in P2 where a kid offers the stealthed Predator some candy. They don't really become friends though.

Yeah, I asked specifically if she meant that, as we had just watched the movie two days ago, but she said no.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

last page the Karl Urban Doom was brought up, do yourselves a favor and watch it with the blind narration on. Me and my friend accidently turned it on once haha we kept rewinding and watching the scene where the greedy guy gets ripped off the toilet probly 20 times, tears in our eyes.

I was really impressed how well the narrator clarified the fast paced action too, especially the fps part and the final battle.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Splicer posted:

i’m willing to follow her train of thought that the predator and the kid became friends over their shared love of candy. how often have predators been shown such hospitality on earth?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Predator had already gained maximum honor for the amount of gang members it killed and could have left a champion but hung around longer to try to find more of that candy

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Neo Rasa posted:

The Predator had already gained maximum honor for the amount of gang members it killed and could have left a champion but hung around longer to try to find more of that candy

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial a darker film than I remember.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Killing the rasta leader was not honorable :colbert:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Biplane posted:

Killing the rasta leader was not honorable :colbert:

He had a sword. And if you take Predators as canon, they also seem to do their research and know who the tough guy players are among their prey. It was probably staking out the gangs for time, and knew King Willie was Don Gorgon. Didn't he also bleach and wear his skull, or was that a different part of the movie?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nope I’m pretty sure you’re remembering it right.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

King Willie was cool

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Biplane posted:

King Willie was cool

:hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo. This thread is 4 years old as of today. :)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

RIP thinking about real aliens thread, we buried that poo poo

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:snoo:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Those doughnuts are hella stale now.

Also, #RIP hamsters.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
My 11 year old niece saw alien and aliens recently for the first time, scared the poo poo out of her :unsmith:

Edit: other movies she's watched for the first time:

Tremors
Predator 1 and 2
Speed
Terminatior 1 and 2

For the record, I asked her which was the scariest. Surely Aliens, right?

No. Alien was scarier :colbert:

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 2, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

My 11 year old niece saw alien and aliens recently for the first time, scared the poo poo out of her :unsmith:

The alien itself never bothered me as a kid, aside from the duct scene. What actually bothered me with the scene interrogating Ash’s head, that one stuck with me for forever and I didn’t even realize where it came from until I rewatched Alien last year.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

The alien itself never bothered me as a kid, aside from the duct scene. What actually bothered me with the scene interrogating Ash’s head, that one stuck with me for forever and I didn’t even realize where it came from until I rewatched Alien last year.

I think the android milk blood goes a long way to making that scene real unpleasant...

I asked her what the scariest part of the movie was. What did she think of the robot guy? Wasn't that part creepy when he was torn apart but still talking?

She said nah, that was creepy and weird, but he was just a robot. The scariest part was *mimes chestburster scene*

Me: oh yeah, that was pretty intense huh?

Yeah, it was really scary. It would've been scarier, but she'd seen a chestburster before. But when she saw it before, they made it funny. The alien put on a hat and started singing and dancing

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The alien put on a hat and started singing and dancing

NOT AGAIN!! :cry:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Icon Of Sin posted:

NOT AGAIN!! :cry:

I'm not a huge Spaceballs fan, but this scene was incredible.

Re-watching it now, lmao I forgot they mocked up the whole Nostromo crew eating with John Hurt at the bar.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SilvergunSuperman posted:

RIP thinking about real aliens thread, we buried that poo poo
The real aliens are the friends we made along the way.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

For the record, I asked her which was the scariest. Surely Aliens, right?

No. Alien was scarier :colbert:

I’ve posted this story several times in here so I won’t bore the thread with it again, but as someone who saw Alien in the theater at age ten I guarantee you it is the epitome of every young child’s worst nightmares.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i was thinking earlier how loving hard the original trailer for alien goes. my interest in the alien films comes from when i went to disney world a few times as a kid and the great movie ride would play trailers on a screen while you waited in line and the alien trailer was one of them. it’s probably one of the best trailers ever made.

https://youtu.be/4v4Kn0J6E-I

and for anyone who never got a chance to see it, this is the alien part of the ride. it was extremely well done and legitimately scary. at least as a kid.

https://youtu.be/4Hf0RcjRHyo

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I always merged that section and space mountain as a kid and was terrified of going in either ride lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Space Jam posted:

i was thinking earlier how loving hard the original trailer for alien goes. my interest in the alien films comes from when i went to disney world a few times as a kid and the great movie ride would play trailers on a screen while you waited in line and the alien trailer was one of them. it’s probably one of the best trailers ever made.

A thousand times, this. I was ten and I'd seen a couple of R-rated films at the time, and my Mom and I had seen this trailer, and seen Siskel and Ebert and Gene Shalit review the film, but we had no idea what we were really in for.

e: You'll notice that they never show even a single shot of the creature, which is like a child's nightmares brought to life. It was so insanely scary to me at the time, I had no words to even describe it.

And the "and then there was one" aspect of the film made it even worse.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 3, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Space Jam posted:

https://youtu.be/4v4Kn0J6E-I

and for anyone who never got a chance to see it, this is the alien part of the ride. it was extremely well done and legitimately scary. at least as a kid.

https://youtu.be/4Hf0RcjRHyo

Ah, just realized the trailer uses the distress call that was in a deleted scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUbqY1S-QQ

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The final sequence on the Nostromo after she finds Parker and Lambert and begins the scuttle procedure is my favourite in cinema, it's just pure chaos and desperation. Horns blaring, sirens wailing, lights strobing hard, steam everywhere. It's amazing, and terrifying.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Ah, just realized the trailer uses the distress call that was in a deleted scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUbqY1S-QQ

parker saying “i wanna go home and party” is great

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 3, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I always forget the sheer size of the Nostromo. The crew area was small-ish, sure, but the entire ship itself was the size of a goddamned mountain :stare:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Icon Of Sin posted:

I always forget the sheer size of the Nostromo. The crew area was small-ish, sure, but the entire ship itself was the size of a goddamned mountain :stare:

I really like that dynamic of it, the ship proper is so big for the crew size but also the massive part is the automated refinery that gets hauled from planet to planet.

IIRC even the Prometheus is still smaller than the Nostromo ship by itself, and then the Alien Resurrection one is like cartoonishly gigantic like on par with the Nostromo's refinery thing.

I enjoy this book of Alien series ship blueprints even if there's less artwork and more like screen renders as it gets to more recent stuff, very good stuff overall:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1785654950

Don't buy it for $35 though just wishlist it or whatever I see it go on sale pretty regularly. :D

EDIT:

Aaah here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMf1M8hbx3A

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 3, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

I really like that dynamic of it, the ship proper is so big for the crew size but also the massive part is the automated refinery that gets hauled from planet to planet.
There's one shot of the inside of the Nostromo's hyperdrive or whatever where you can see Ripley running around engineering through a window, and the room is absolutely tiny compared to the 10-storey machinery it controls. The ship is huge, but the habitable part of it is about 1% of the total volume - and the Nostromo itself is like a bug compared to the refinery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

MrMojok posted:

A thousand times, this. I was ten and I'd seen a couple of R-rated films at the time, and my Mom and I had seen this trailer, and seen Siskel and Ebert and Gene Shalit review the film, but we had no idea what we were really in for.

e: You'll notice that they never show even a single shot of the creature, which is like a child's nightmares brought to life. It was so insanely scary to me at the time, I had no words to even describe it.

And the "and then there was one" aspect of the film made it even worse.

I was also 10 when I saw Alien in the theater. My dad and I went to see it opening weekend. We had NO idea what was in this movie. I distinctly remember people flipping out throughout the movie, and some people leaving the theater. I slept with the lights on for several days after that. I got the sweet movie stills "graphic novel" that year for Christmas or my birthday. It's such a great movie.

In 1986, I was working as an usher at a movie theater and found out about Aliens only a month or so before it came out (when we got the trailer). One of the perks of this job was getting to see movies the night before or the morning before it was released. They would ship the film reels to us in several big metal cans, and the projectionists had to splice them all together on these huge platters. Then they would run the film through to make sure everything was working properly before the movie opened. Employees could come in and watch.

I got to the theater about 830 on that Friday morning. Just me and the projectionist, who always watched from the booth. Aliens was playing in our big theater, which had the best sound (with Dolby, the other theaters were just stereo. This is 1986).

I sat in the perfect seat in the center of the theater and had a private viewing of Aliens. Outside of seeing Star Wars for the first time in 77, it was the best movie experience of my life.

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 3, 2023