Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Goddamn I prefer the way my salary sounds in SEK.

May I recommend Iceland? Some of our friends moved there and their kid is selling some football lottery tickets for 1000 kroner each.

But the important thing is not actually the number, it's the difference between the biggest number and the smallest number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

jeebus bob posted:

Nobody should be paid more than 60.000 DKK a month.

Not one single person.

I agree vehemently, but A LOT of people are paid that. You'd be hard pressed to find a a group in management, engineering, IT, finance/accounting, law, chemists, pharmacists, dentists, doctors, psychologists, veterinarians, where the top income quartile doesn't earn 60k+, many of those the median income is more than 60k. It's pretty bonkers.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

Almost like there's a correlation between fun cushy jobs and being overpaid... As long as you're sufficiently removed from working on real people or problems that is.

I assure you nothing I do at work has real world consequences for anyone

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Esran posted:

Public opinion seems to be strongly against this and it's being forced through anyway. I've noticed that when people complain about this being undemocratic, party soldiers love popping in with an :actually: about how democracy doesn't mean doing what voters want, it's totally cool for politicians to pull poo poo like this out of a hat post-election, and if people don't like it, they can just vote the bastards out. In 3.5 years.

The spirit of VOTE has made it to Denmark. We really are America with a slight time lag.

Half a million people signed a petition and somehow it didn't matter. :effort:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Half a million people signed a petition and somehow it didn't matter. :effort:
With the current crop of thieves in charge, it wouldn't have mattered if 5.6 million people signed the petitions.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the fosen windmill protest was nice. decent attendance, considering it's in the middle of winter break and also was organised less than 48 hours before the actual event, a pretty tight programme, relevant cultural stuff (joik!) and some actually pretty good chants and speeches. got some news coverage, too. i really do think that it may be possible to force the government's retreat on this issue.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

With the current crop of thieves in charge, it wouldn't have mattered if 5.6 million people signed the petitions.

Yeah, petitions are generally worthless.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The only effective type of petitions is the French kind.

Circa 1780.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I've noticed that the Swedish Presidency of the EU has not been a total disaster so far? Even the messaging has been pretty consistent when compared to national stuff.

Is it all just handled by seasoned EU bureaucrats, while Ulf sits most of it out?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Feliday Melody posted:

I've noticed that the Swedish Presidency of the EU has not been a total disaster so far? Even the messaging has been pretty consistent when compared to national stuff.

Is it all just handled by seasoned EU bureaucrats, while Ulf sits most of it out?

Whenever Ulf gets too close, an aid starts waving the NATO emblem in front of him until he's sufficiently distracted.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

Whenever Ulf gets too close, an aid starts waving the NATO emblem in front of him until he's sufficiently distracted.

Look, that A4 printout of the NATO emblem has done more to preserve EU security than any politician in decades.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

the fosen windmill protest was nice. decent attendance, considering it's in the middle of winter break and also was organised less than 48 hours before the actual event, a pretty tight programme, relevant cultural stuff (joik!) and some actually pretty good chants and speeches. got some news coverage, too. i really do think that it may be possible to force the government's retreat on this issue.

greta thunberg showing up to attend and support the protests has been a smart move, too. even international news are reporting on it now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ulvir posted:

greta thunberg showing up to attend and support the protests has been a smart move, too. even international news are reporting on it now

yeah, also it's very hard to mobilise a green argument against it when thunberg's on the team

generally this has been quite well played by the activists and, it must be said, very poorly by the government

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

fössta tossdan i mass :yotj:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Imagine removing peaceful indigenous protesters by force, knowing they're right and still being able to look at yourself in the mirror.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Imagine removing peaceful indigenous protesters by force, knowing they're right and still being able to look at yourself in the mirror.

Please don’t make me post first_time.jpg for like the zillionth time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Really owning the western world

Realtalk: I hope whoever did it knows how to keep quiet and flee the continent

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

teen witch posted:

Really owning the western world

Realtalk: I hope whoever did it knows how to keep quiet and flee the continent

It's nice of them to respect our traditions.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought someone loving up that statue happened like every other week.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh no, whatever are we possibly supposed to do against some paint on a rock below a statue that's been decapitated so often, that it's practically a joke at this point.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I assume that the point is that Russia has fallen in love with something it can never have and will die as foam on the ocean?

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Work harder proles :whip:

https://finans.dk/politik/ECE15228510/statsministeren-knuser-ide-om-kortere-arbejdstid-i-fremtiden-glem-det-venner/

quote:

Der er alle mulige mennesker, der mener, vi kan arbejde mindre. Glem det, venner. Glem det

Says Mette Frederiksen days after abolishing a public holiday, at a conference arranged by McKinsey, talking to corruption elemental Bjarne Corydon.

At least we don't have a right wing government.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I guess that's just how she gets around these days.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Esran posted:

https://finans.dk/politik/ECE15228510/statsministeren-knuser-ide-om-kortere-arbejdstid-i-fremtiden-glem-det-venner/

Says Mette Frederiksen days after abolishing a public holiday, at a conference arranged by McKinsey, talking to corruption elemental Bjarne Corydon.

Actually, it says Chief Editor on his hat now, he's part of the fourth estate and keeps power in check.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
More like cashing that check amirite

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Esran posted:

The funny thing is, if you check the statistics we're doing pretty well:
pre:
personer/pct.	køn			1979	1980	1981	1982	1983	1984	1985	1986	1987	1988	1989	1990	1991	1992	1993	1994	1995	1996	1997	1998	1999	2000	2001	2002	2003	2004	2005	2006	2007	2008	2009	2010	2011	2012	2013	2014	2015	2016	2017	2018	2019	2020	2021	
Procent af arbejdsstyrken	I alt	6.1	6.9	8.9	9.5	10.0	9.6	8.6	7.5	7.5	8.3	9.1	9.3	10.1	10.9	11.9	11.8	9.8	8.2	7.3	6.0	5.2	4.9	4.7	4.8	5.8	5.8	5.1	3.9	2.7	1.9	3.6	4.2	4.0	4.5	4.4	4.0	3.8	3.3	3.3	3.1	3.0	4.1	3.2
For reference, it's currently at 2.8 and was 2.7 during December and January.

I love how utterly relaxed she looks. Powerful spine on this one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powerful spine on this one.

Not so much on the ones that's carrying her.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

The funny thing is, if you check the statistics we're doing pretty well

Yeah, but how this seems to work is that when there's high unemployment, we need to cut benefits to get the lazy bums off welfare.

When there's low unemployment, companies are yelling at the government to increase the labor pool, so we need to get people to work more, and cut benefits to get the lazy bums off welfare.

Edit: This explains a lot

quote:

McKinsey (...) retained a diffident and traditional ethos (...) requiring its consultants to wear fedoras

Esran fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 2, 2023

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

The funny thing is, if you check the statistics we're doing pretty well:
pre:
personer/pct.	køn			1979	1980	1981	1982	1983	1984	1985	1986	1987	1988	1989	1990	1991	1992	1993	1994	1995	1996	1997	1998	1999	2000	2001	2002	2003	2004	2005	2006	2007	2008	2009	2010	2011	2012	2013	2014	2015	2016	2017	2018	2019	2020	2021	
Procent af arbejdsstyrken	I alt	6.1	6.9	8.9	9.5	10.0	9.6	8.6	7.5	7.5	8.3	9.1	9.3	10.1	10.9	11.9	11.8	9.8	8.2	7.3	6.0	5.2	4.9	4.7	4.8	5.8	5.8	5.1	3.9	2.7	1.9	3.6	4.2	4.0	4.5	4.4	4.0	3.8	3.3	3.3	3.1	3.0	4.1	3.2
For reference, it's currently at 2.8 and was 2.7 during December and January.

Just as a side note: It's more the demographic development which is the problem than unemployment, though obviously low unemployment helps with labour supply. By demographic developments, I mean that over the next 20 years, the active work-force will shrink in comparison with the people outside the labour market (ie. olds and youngs mostly). In particular it's a "problem" that people live longer, because healthcare expenses and labour needs increase dramatically the longer you live. All in all, it means fewer people to work and more people to be cared for, and that will create a massive strain on our welfare system. It has been going this way for a while, but we're barely at the beginning of this curve, so in terms of failing of the healthcare system for example, things will likely get much worse. In my personal opinion, I think we're heading for a collapse in several welfare areas, to which the only available solution, when it happens, will be privatization. I'm not saying it's by design, but certainly people have been working on 'starving the beast' for a while and increasingly things that are not just cosmetic are privatized. Obviously, privatization doesn't actually solve anything, it makes it worse in a lot of ways. Not for the people who can afford it though, at least in the short run.

There is an obvious and simple solution to this, which has always been used in situations like this, and that is to import labour. However, importing labour has been an extreme no-no in danish politics since the early 90s. Personally, I also like higher taxes to solve parts of the current funding problem, but it doesn't solve the shrinking work-force issue. Not only is there not enough hands, but the smaller the amount of labour, the more expensive (again, this can be solved with higher taxes, but... who is going to suggest, let alone implement, that?).

On a personal level, I generally disagree with a lot of things that are going on currently, but it is a legitimate problem that the healthcare sector, and to some extent the entire welfare state, is underwater and getting worse. We really do desperately need more labour supply, most definitely not less.

e: Just incase it's not clear, more 'free time' (holidays, vacation, shorter working hours) generally reduces labour supply. We currently have money, we need more labour.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 2, 2023

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Yes, but when you've built the last 20-odd years of Danish politics around brown people being scary and that has become the political consensus across the center, switching gears is hard.

I don't see any of S, DF, DD, NB and maybe V and K being eager to allow more immigration.

I think even parties like Ø would be concerned that more immigration would be used as an opportunity for employers to depress wages.

Edit: Even with the current low unemployment, I think I recall someone from S saying that once the war is over, Ukrainians need to leave. So it doesn't seem like they're softening their stance yet.

Esran fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 2, 2023

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
It turns out that a very high profile "send donations to Ukraine"-dude has something of a complicated history. Meet Kenneth Gregg, serial fraud and drug smuggler.

https://yle.fi/a/3-12388318

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

:smug:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
According to Internet lore, Greta dissed Andrew Tate so hard (with an at best C-tier insult) that he was propelled into Romanian jail so you know what? She’s earned that face.

(I know it’s not what happened but it is what happened in my heart).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Esran posted:

I guess that's just how she gets around these days.

Can it be considered a carbon-neutral form of transportation?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Slashrat posted:

It does produce CO2 emissions though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Just as a side note: It's more the demographic development which is the problem than unemployment, though obviously low unemployment helps with labour supply. By demographic developments, I mean that over the next 20 years, the active work-force will shrink in comparison with the people outside the labour market (ie. olds and youngs mostly). In particular it's a "problem" that people live longer, because healthcare expenses and labour needs increase dramatically the longer you live. All in all, it means fewer people to work and more people to be cared for, and that will create a massive strain on our welfare system. It has been going this way for a while, but we're barely at the beginning of this curve, so in terms of failing of the healthcare system for example, things will likely get much worse. In my personal opinion, I think we're heading for a collapse in several welfare areas, to which the only available solution, when it happens, will be privatization. I'm not saying it's by design, but certainly people have been working on 'starving the beast' for a while and increasingly things that are not just cosmetic are privatized. Obviously, privatization doesn't actually solve anything, it makes it worse in a lot of ways. Not for the people who can afford it though, at least in the short run.

There is an obvious and simple solution to this, which has always been used in situations like this, and that is to import labour. However, importing labour has been an extreme no-no in danish politics since the early 90s. Personally, I also like higher taxes to solve parts of the current funding problem, but it doesn't solve the shrinking work-force issue. Not only is there not enough hands, but the smaller the amount of labour, the more expensive (again, this can be solved with higher taxes, but... who is going to suggest, let alone implement, that?).

On a personal level, I generally disagree with a lot of things that are going on currently, but it is a legitimate problem that the healthcare sector, and to some extent the entire welfare state, is underwater and getting worse. We really do desperately need more labour supply, most definitely not less.

e: Just incase it's not clear, more 'free time' (holidays, vacation, shorter working hours) generally reduces labour supply. We currently have money, we need more labour.
The answer is to send all our old people to Greece and Spain. It reduces labour requirements here, lets the old get more bang for their pension buck, while reducing unemployment in these recipient countries.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Slashrat posted:

pork has the worst carbon footprint of any agriculture iirc, maybe second to beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't know how accurate this data is, but it claims that beef is by far the worst and pork coming in fifth behind it, lamb, prawns and cheese.

https://www.co2everything.com/co2e-of/pork