Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fawning deference posted:

I think with the gauntlet the East is, Buffalo probably shouldn't be too aggressive and focus more on keeping their young core together and making smaller depth moves to see if they can sneak in to a WC spot.

I don't know who else is available on the D/G front.

I agree that making an aggressive move could backfire. There are a few players that are expendable but selling the farm for a pending UFA would be a mistake. Also Buffalo trading their first round pick this year would also be a mistake.

We also don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes right now, the GM of Arizona might have asked for too much from Buffalo which was why they traded with Ottawa, whose 1st rounder is going to be more valuable than Buffalo’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1631332669354024960?s=20

Putting two players with some of the worst on ice impacts in the NHL on the same line sure is a choice Sully

yeah I was excited to see how Granlund would end up but uh I don't think he should be toiling on the 3rd line.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1631334985562038300?t=47rr0d1zhedPiHqaLuhwzg&s=19

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

This is going to be a fun run down the stretch.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's kinda hilarious that Garland would have been a significantly more optimal fit, but instead opted for a very defensively weak Finnish winger that is um what they just got rid of. Tbh that Granlund might make the 3rd line worse than if McGinn is were there. So I sure hope Hextall is working on so e other things, because is if the best he could do hit loving drat should he just be fired now.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's kinda hilarious that Garland would have been a significantly more optimal fit, but instead opted for a very defensively weak Finnish winger that is um what they just got rid of. Tbh that Granlund might make the 3rd line worse than if McGinn is were there. So I sure hope Hextall is working on so e other things, because is if the best he could do hit loving drat should he just be fired now.

After all the talk between PIT and Van maybe Hextall just misspelled Garland and ended up with Granlund

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol voracek is a coyote

What a joke of a poverty franchise

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1631346905002254344?t=tNcigib8IU0SbCo7SaFkHA&s=19

They are literally going to ice 20 minimum salary players and the rest will be robidas island.

Carey price come on dddoooooowwwnnnnn

stab fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 2, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

yeah I was excited to see how Granlund would end up but uh I don't think he should be toiling on the 3rd line.

I feel bad for Granlund because I feel like putting him with Carter and Heinen is just immediately putting him in the worst possible position to succeed

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/1631349030465724416

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/status/1631346729571454977

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1631331454394286080

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I forgot that the corpse of John Klingberg hasn't been moved yet, maybe Buffalo will get him

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1631348692635582464

pretty funny

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

I forgot that the corpse of John Klingberg hasn't been moved yet, maybe Buffalo will get him

What a poor choice that man made

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Seems low

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eugene Melnyk is rolling over in his grave (for not going that hard at cap circumvention)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The NHL is composed of 31 teams and a money laundering outfit housed in a college arena

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

T-Bone posted:

I’ve seen the talking heads throw his name around, would be a, “maybe he’ll play well in a different environment/system!” trade like with Stillman.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I'm amazed that Ottawa is even in the playoff race after how badly the first few months of the season went. 28th in the league in points% through the end of November with an 8-13-1 record, and 11th in the league in points% since then with a 22-13-3 record.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season shakes out. I think Chychrun on his own moves the needle a fair bit, and they're already on a bit of a heater heading into the final stretch of the season, but they're trying to climb out of such a big hole and I don't have much confidence that they'll be able to do it. I think that they could catch NYI (6 points back with 4 games in hand), but I don't think there's any hope of catching Pittsburgh (5 points back, even GP).

Realistically, I think it's going to come down to them, NYI, Buffalo (2 back, 1 extra game played), and Florida (2 back, 2 games in hand) for the final WC spot. They've still got 2 games left against the Panthers, and their last game of the season is against the Sabres. It would be fun if that final game had real playoff implications with Buffalo.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 2, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
If Buffalo thought they were leaky before boy will that not get any better with Klingberg.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1631354372104806402?t=0cVmAHaFojr3QZK5QX5KFw&s=19

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Arizona should construct a commentative garden to their LTIR contracts. It's the least they could do.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Imagine Arizona winning the draft lottery and Bedard has to play in a college rink with replacement-level talent and a packed infirmary. Maybe he'll pull a Lindros

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

For some reason, I thought John Gillies was a skater. Maybe I'm confusing him with all of the other Gillies who are punchmen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

They are losing picks for this right?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

This is like the end of Return of the Jedi where Luke is carrying Vader to the shuttle. You don't like seeing that. You want the real villain Philadelphia Flyers, not the desiccated corpse of a once proud franchise.

like gently caress da Flyers but also I don't like seeing them like this. League is more fun when they're good and flailing to get over the final hump and get that cup

nah, gently caress the flyers and gently caress their fans

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I can’t see why, the punishment is them not getting to make the recall and having to play with a short roster. It’s not the first time this has happened, iirc Calgary had to play short for a bit due to post-trade cap problems years back.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

the league cares about a less than a million recall amount but lets the coyotes circumvent the cap floor by tens of millions and also apparently would have been fine if the rangers just said "eh ya know we'll LTIR lindgren to let him rest up for the playoffs" regardless of how injured he is

nice

e: lol at the broke rear end brain going "they'll lose picks for this right???" Why in the world would they ever, they didn't actually break any rules

It almost really wouldn't even matter if Miller hadn't gotten his dumb rear end suspended

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

lol what the gently caress are you taking about? This isn’t a coaches challenge where they get a penalty after a denied appeal. Their punishment will be playing short handed with 5D and giving Ben Harpur 20+ TOI

Levitate posted:

It almost really wouldn't even matter if Miller hadn't gotten his dumb rear end suspended

Just incredibly poor timing. Luckily they have a spot locked down but it would be nice to get some normalcy down the stretch!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

shyduck posted:

The NHL is composed of 31 teams and a money laundering outfit housed in a college arena

It would be much nicer if they just took these LTIR contracts, required them to be paid out properly, and then didn’t count them against the cap accrual/contract limit until there’s a possibility of them playing again. At which point it could be activated and you have that player again. It’s not like it would change anything about LTIR considering Hossa and being suddenly allergic to hockey gear, and would let them semi-retire into being injured hockey players. Just make it require the player and doctor to sign off on the LTIR clearing move. Then you don’t allow them to be traded until after the contract is reactivated by the original team and counted against cap/contract limits for a week or something short enough but long enough to make it not trivial.

This comes close to making sense though, so nothing like it will ever happen.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

I can’t see why, the punishment is them not getting to make the recall and having to play with a short roster. It’s not the first time this has happened, iirc Calgary had to play short for a bit due to post-trade cap problems years back.

Oilers played a couple games short this season rather than waiving yamamoto/foegele/jesse

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Getting mad at players getting paid for not playing, and teams exploiting the cap, is some a+ bootlicking. It’s like someone let my dad and uncle in here.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

Imagine Arizona winning the draft lottery and Bedard has to play in a college rink with replacement-level talent and a packed infirmary. Maybe he'll pull a Lindros

I'm with Ginette Reno. we need to bring back cash trades. Connor Bedard's always wanted to be a New York Ranger and I for one want to see the modern day version of:

Tony Amonte
Alexei Kovalev
Sergei Nemchinov
James Patrick
Either Mike Richter or John Vanbiesbrouck
Undisclosed multiple first-round draft picks
$20 million

they can have:

Lafreniere
Chytil
Othmann
Schneider
Not sure what goalie makes sense so Dylan Garand and Adam Sykora
3 1st round picks
$40,373,819 based on exchange rates

e: will also throw in a free enterprise license of Dolan's facial recognition technology for banning people that sue you

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 2, 2023

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/1631360672914104347?s=20

Add a big boy to the board

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Levitate posted:

e: lol at the broke rear end brain going "they'll lose picks for this right???" Why in the world would they ever, they didn't actually break any rules

Yeah, the no emergency recall decision is already the “punishment”. This is really not a big deal. They didn’t do anything wrong, they just requested one and it was denied.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Pungry posted:

Getting mad at players getting paid for not playing, and teams exploiting the cap, is some a+ bootlicking. It’s like someone let my dad and uncle in here.

Team with no fans that plays in a college dorm and sleeps on their coach requires creative accounting assistance to remain 'technically' compliant with the cap while begging for a stadium from tax payers. Let me just adjust this paupers cap...

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Please please please

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pungry posted:

I don’t care that they aren’t playing, and they should keep getting paid. I care that more players aren’t getting paid as much because Arizona is cheating the system. That’s a handful of extra contracts, and a bunch of raises for players in Arizona just so they hit the cap floor.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

fawning deference posted:

I think with the gauntlet the East is, Buffalo probably shouldn't be too aggressive and focus more on keeping their young core together and making smaller depth moves to see if they can sneak in to a WC spot.

I don't know who else is available on the D/G front.

The biggest thing for Buffalo is targeting players that won't be rentals. Names that have been mentioned as available that fit this criteria and fill a need:

Dante Fabbro
Colton Parayko (enormous risk; I don't like this personally)
Juuse Saros
Lawson Crouse
Nick Schmaltz
Karel Vejmelka
Carson Soucy
Will Borgen

Any of these could realistically be accomplished in the off-season, but it would be nice to make a move now to help with the playoff push.

whatis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 2, 2023

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
this woman has broken a bunch of news this week and I'm hoping she's right about this too because it has the potential to be very funny

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1631364834934546444

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jhet posted:

I don’t care that they aren’t playing, and they should keep getting paid. I care that more players aren’t getting paid as much because Arizona is cheating the system. That’s a handful of extra contracts, and a bunch of raises for players in Arizona just so they hit the cap floor.

They're getting mad at me there. Because Oungey got mad Chychrun was getting paid to sit in the press box and players should play. I'd like to hear their thoughts on the cap being good or bad (it isn't).

whatis posted:

this woman has broken a bunch of news this week and I'm hoping she's right about this too because it has the potential to be very funny

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1631364834934546444

She just won't hockey write of the year. Shayna rules and is a legitimate insider. If you're on Twitter and like hockey she's a nobrainer follow. For the last weeks she's been doing Gossip Girl tweets about the TDL and it's been pretty funny.