Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the world mostly coalesces by the third book.

Effectively it's "what if Arthurian legend but they're cowboys and also mescaline" but then there's also a nice vibe of "there are bits of our world scattered around like the beach after a shipwreck."

and a bit of "in Soviet Mid-World, lobster eat you!". Just be prepared for a quality dropoff after the fourth book, but still worth it.

edit: I page snipe with my heart, motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Speaking of, I caught some of that Dark Tower movie with Idris Elba last weekend

:bigwhat:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

Speaking of, I caught some of that Dark Tower movie with Idris Elba last weekend

:bigwhat:

Gunslingers in the novels: intensive training since childhood before the fall of Gilead, weeks of rigorous training after the fall

Gunslingers in the movie: "hey Jake can you shoot a can off a fence? good enough"

I would make the case that movie is the biggest of Akiva Goldman's many crimes against cinema

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My only real issue with Idris as Roland is that he's traditionally handsome and buff, Roland should be kinda handsome in a very specific way but also kind of terrifying to look at, and extremely wiry.

McConaughey was eerily well cast as Flagg.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Roland sould have been Tom Holland and Flagg should have been Chris Pratt.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My only real issue with Idris as Roland is that he's traditionally handsome and buff, Roland should be kinda handsome in a very specific way but also kind of terrifying to look at, and extremely wiry.

McConaughey was eerily well cast as Flagg.

He was so perfectly-cast as Flagg that it makes the movie even worse because the thing should have been a miniseries in the first place and now if they ever do a miniseries it won't be McConaughey.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
There are rumors that Pedro Pascal might be getting cast as Roland because of some social media posts of him hanging out with Mike Flanagan. I don't know though, that's a lot of post apocalyptic series in a short amount of time for one actor, and he's already basically a gunslinger in The Mandalorian.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
:manning: Scott Eastwood is right there

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Is he old enough? Roland is definitely more grizzled than 36.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

There are rumors that Pedro Pascal might be getting cast as Roland because of some social media posts of him hanging out with Mike Flanagan. I don't know though, that's a lot of post apocalyptic series in a short amount of time for one actor, and he's already basically a gunslinger in The Mandalorian.

Yeah but just think, he could work as a post apocalyptic guy who's saddled with a young kid who's very important to the future of the world

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Yeah Pedro Pascal would be a good fit for Roland but that would definitely verge on typecasting.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Medullah posted:

Yeah but just think, he could work as a post apocalyptic guy who's saddled with a young kid who's very important to the future of the world

Yeah but see, in this one he (whole Dark Tower Series Spoilers) kills the kid, but then he saves the kid, but then the kid dies again!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rolo posted:

Roland sould have been Tom Holland and Flagg should have been Chris Pratt.

*We Hates Movies Tom Holland voice* MISTER STAAAARK? I FORGOT THE FACE OF MY FATHER

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah Pedro Pascal would be a good fit for Roland but that would definitely verge on typecasting.

Apparently Daniel Craig was "considered" for the last movie, and goddamn if I can't see that working pretty well.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
HBO is doing an IT series with the creators of the films.
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/it-prequel-series-welcome-to-derry-hbo-max-1235533567/

Bill Skarsgard's performance and look are iconic at this point, and if he isn't in it the production will really suffer imo.

Edit: just hire one of his cheaper brothers.

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 24, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s no rule that says a dog CANT play Roland of Gilead

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

err posted:

Started reading The Gunslinger and it's great so far. I am having some trouble picturing the world, especially the flashbacks. Roland had a nightmare about someone and it didn't make much sense.

That gunfight scene from the first town is the highlight so far.

With how short the first book is, I really enjoyed revisiting it after the first few books on my original read-through. I had the same feeling of it all being a bit vague and hard to picture at first but it came together further into the book for me. Then a second read-through when you know more of the character/world adds a lot more too.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 24, 2023

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

King described Roland as "ancient" a few times and based on his general physical description of tall, gaunt, slim, and lantern- jawed but not very attractive, i always assumed that he was a self-insert in appearance alone.

I could see a few different actors that would look good as Roland depending on which description you used and / or which point in the story he's being pulled from.

Adrian Brody
Willem Dafoe 15 years ago
Adam Driver
Sean Penn
Joaquin Phoenix

Not that any of them would be particularly well-cast, just that they could look good as Roland.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

titties posted:

King described Roland as "ancient" a few times and based on his general physical description of tall, gaunt, slim, and lantern- jawed but not very attractive, i always assumed that he was a self-insert in appearance alone.

Was King any of those things when he was working on the series? I don't see how Roland could be a self-insert (minus that "all my characters are me" bit from book six) when king himself was, for most of his life, stocky nerdy and overweight from alcohol.

titties
May 10, 2012

Based on his appearances in movie adaptations of his work, yes. He was reasonably young as Jordy Verrill in Creepshow in 1982 and he was indeed tall, slim, wide-jawed, and unattractive.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can see it.

titties
May 10, 2012

I suppose he's a little heavier than i imagined so let's assume a cocaine thin king instead of an alcohol bloated king

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think King explicitly said Roland is supposed to look like a cross between Clint Eastwood and himself.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
For me the one perfect shot of Roland was from Michael Whelan on the inside cover of book 7. And it looks so much like Clint that I absolutely want Scott Eastwood in the role:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

One of my favorite things about King is just what a goofy dude he looks like.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
King's a weird looking dude alright, his eyes are really close together and the space between his nose and mouth is weirdly long.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

titties posted:

Adrian Brody
Willem Dafoe 15 years ago
Adam Driver
Sean Penn
Joaquin Phoenix

I had always pictured Scott Glenn.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

For me the one perfect shot of Roland was from Michael Whelan on the inside cover of book 7. And it looks so much like Clint that I absolutely want Scott Eastwood in the role:

I love his dainty little finger there

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I feel like Crispin Glover could fit that description of the gunslinger pretty well.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Glover is too prissy. Has soft hands and nice skin. He hasn't spent decades running across the world chasing a wizard on horseback.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Baron von Eevl posted:

Glover is too prissy. Has soft hands and nice skin. He hasn't spent decades running across the world chasing a wizard on horseback.

Oh no he definitely has. You should have seen him on Letterman.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

He can kick.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eww meteor poo poo

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think King explicitly said Roland is supposed to look like a cross between Clint Eastwood and himself.

The Man With No Name is the specific inspiration for Roland. Not sure which book it is, and mine are currently in storage, but one of the forwards explicitly spells it out. King was toying with the idea of a Epic Fantasy, but wasn't finding inspiration for the standard LOTR clone. Then he saw the Dollars movie at a theater and found inspiration there.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don’t think it can really be stressed enough just how tall Stephen King is.

It’s sort of funny, because the period of time during which I actually sort knew Stephen King in real life I was still a little kid (age 7 to 13 or so) so I never really registered just how incredibly tall he was - because most everybody over a certain height (maybe 5’7 or so) just seems to tower over your when you’re a child. So my dad or someone else was always the one to mention “You know that was Stephen King and his wife sitting in the booth behind us that whole time right?” after we left “The Wicked Good Store” where we (and the Kings) went out for lunch frequently. Or to point him out when we’d drive by him walking on the road (yes, on THAT road). In a town of ~700 people with one restaurant, those aren’t very long odds.

But in truth he stands out quite a bit for being incredibly loving tall, and it’s difficult to register much of anything else when you encounter him. Seriously, the guy is freaking 6’4 - no exaggeration! He’s like basketball player-tall, and definitely no waif regardless of how fat he may or may not have been. Which is pretty physically imposing, although I sort of recall him as being a rather unobtrusive presence in spite of his size.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kaworu posted:

It’s sort of funny, because the period of time during which I actually sort knew Stephen King in real life I was still a little kid (age 7 to 13 or so) so I never really registered just how incredibly tall he was - because most everybody over a certain height (maybe 5’7 or so) just seems to tower over your when you’re a child. So my dad or someone else was always the one to mention “You know that was Stephen King and his wife sitting in the booth behind us that whole time right?” after we left “The Wicked Good Store” where we (and the Kings) went out for lunch frequently. Or to point him out when we’d drive by him walking on the road (yes, on THAT road). In a town of ~700 people with one restaurant, those aren’t very long odds.

But in truth he stands out quite a bit for being incredibly loving tall, and it’s difficult to register much of anything else when you encounter him. Seriously, the guy is freaking 6’4 - no exaggeration! He’s like basketball player-tall, and definitely no waif regardless of how fat he may or may not have been. Which is pretty physically imposing, although I sort of recall him as being a rather unobtrusive presence in spite of his size.

Well this was a let-down. I googled it and it's only 193 cm which is tall but not... incredible - like everyone personally knows at least a couple of dudes that tall. I was expecting like 210 at least.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

kaworu posted:

Clearly being tall leads to massive success as an author. Crichton was even taller than King, almost 7 feet IIRC.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well this was a let-down. I googled it and it's only 193 cm which is tall but not... incredible - like everyone personally knows at least a couple of dudes that tall. I was expecting like 210 at least.

I guess it depends on how tall you are; I'm 5'8 (about 170cm) and that's a fairly tall dude to me. Though, just imagine, what if he were a 7 foot tall giant...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leave posted:

Though, just imagine, what if he were a giant...

I will!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I always thought McConaughey would be a good Eddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
6'4" is "hey you're pretty tall" tall, barely "yeah, he's like the tallest guy I know well" tall. My wife's uncle is 6'3", my boss is 6'7". It looks like 6'4" is 28th percentile in the NBA for height, with the average height being 6'6.5".