Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there any worthwhile 8-bit or 16-bit wrestling games? SNES had a gimped port of Wrestlemania Arcade and a version of Fire Pro, curious if anything else is worth trying out or at least comically bad for entertainment value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
There's at least four or five (iirc) SNES Fire Pro games including the infamous Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special. Also Natsume Championship Wrestling.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

unimportantguy posted:

There's at least four or five (iirc) SNES Fire Pro games including the infamous Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special. Also Natsume Championship Wrestling.

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium has tons of 90s packs with all the relevant people/promotions. It was obsolete with the Saturn version and beyond, but that poo poo still slaps.

Don't play Natsume. Play the Japanese version, Zen-Nippon Pro Wrestling, which has the AJPW license. It's an arcade-life bars style wrestling game that doesn't suck, not named SlamMasters. It also slaps.

I'd suggest Super Fire Pro Queens Special, the Joshi Fire Pro. I believe it's the first Fire Pro to have the stutter step before grapples (I.E. it's the first one to not be gutter trash). It's a prototype for what we have today.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 27, 2023

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium was my introduction to Fire Pro. Even without hacks, it is extremely customizable for a game of its era.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Minidust posted:

Are there any worthwhile 8-bit or 16-bit wrestling games? SNES had a gimped port of Wrestlemania Arcade and a version of Fire Pro, curious if anything else is worth trying out or at least comically bad for entertainment value.

Saturday Night Slam Masters.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Minidust posted:

I played the Heck out of the Royal Rumble on the Genesis. Also the arcade port of WWF Wrestlemania the Arcade Game

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gavok posted:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

jesus WEP posted:

There have been more fake fight forever release dates than fake rapture dates

AEW: Wait Forever

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Silly Burrito posted:

AEW: Wait Forever

finally, a game that lets me recreate Go Shiozaki vs Kazuyuki Fujita

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7szys9

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Penguin Patrol posted:

finally, a game that lets me recreate Go Shiozaki vs Kazuyuki Fujita

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7szys9

You can do that in fire pro too :)

... with mods.

And one of those mods has been in a test-phase since last August but it hasn't come out yet, but it works perfectly, and only the testers have it

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Dangerous Person posted:

I just want the Switch version to be decent. Prepared to buy it on PS5 if it's not but I would really like some good handheld wrestling since Fire Pro is never coming to it

If you’ve got money to burn you can get a Steam Deck and play fire pro on that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think I can buy a PS5 due to the physical size of the console. Would buying a Steam Deck for Fight Forever be a stupid decision?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think I can buy a PS5 due to the physical size of the console. Would buying a Steam Deck for Fight Forever be a stupid decision?

Personally I don't have much use for a Steamdeck but if it'd be useful for you and you don't already have a Switch there's plenty of games that'd probably be worth playing on it.

Also if anyone has a Switch then Fight Forever is coming to that as well, though I'd recommend waiting to see how it runs before buying, considering how badly the last WWE game Yukes made for it ran.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I think the Deck is really cool and worth it. I do not have a gaming computer though.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
The deck is great but also flawed, depending on your use case. I try to do goofy poo poo with it like run non-steam FFXIV on it, or install other Linux games that I don't own on steam, and it can cause headaches and hard crashes/freezes that can be aggravating.

Not everything you want to play from your steam library will work even if you think it should, for example Yakuza 0-3 work, Yakuza 6 and 7 work, but not 4 or 5. Strange! It's definitely worth checking compatibility on whatever you think you'll be playing before jumping in.

Lastly, everything in handheld will run pretty great, but if you're trying to dock and play 1080p on your TV, your performance may vary. For example I had to drop something as benign as The Forgotten City as low as it would go to get it running somewhat smoothly, and I wouldn't consider that a very intensive game. I was able to tweak Outer Wilds a bit to get a somewhat steady 40fps, and something like Obra Dinn ran just fine at 1080.

Fight Forever probably won't be super crazy, and if I had to guess, I'd expect it to run in handheld 720 absolutely fine, with maybe some small adjustments needed to get it going at 1080.

Ymmv when it comes to pairing controllers and stuff, but if Fight Forever doesn't use the L1 button for anything you could always plug in one of those GameCube adapters and get 4 GC controllers plugged in and ready to go! It's a fun little console.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

unimportantguy posted:

Snacksmaniac posted:

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium was my introduction to Fire Pro. Even without hacks, it is extremely customizable for a game of its era.
I've put a decent time investment into Fire Pro World on PC (mostly just messing with CAW appearance), but I assume there's actually a proper story/campaign in the SNES games (as I'm aware of that one bonkers ending you allude to)? I'm definitely down for that!

Gavok posted:

Ooh right that's one I've been meaning to try, I actually just got the arcade version in Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium as well!

Shard posted:

I played the Heck out of the Royal Rumble on the Genesis. Also the arcade port of WWF Wrestlemania the Arcade Game
I'm a retro turbonerd who got an actual Genesis (with 32X!) just recently, so that sounds like as good a way as any to try it out! I am also curious to try all the different ports of Wrestlemania arcade. I had the MS DOS version back in the day, which might actually be the best of the bunch? It felt pretty authentic, at least at the time. I suspect the PS1 version will just play like the PC version but with extra load times.

Dishwasher posted:

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium has tons of 90s packs with all the relevant people/promotions. It was obsolete with the Saturn version and beyond, but that poo poo still slaps.
What would "packs" be in this context? We're still talking about SNES right?

Dishwasher posted:

Don't play Natsume. Play the Japanese version, Zen-Nippon Pro Wrestling, which has the AJPW license. It's an arcade-life bars style wrestling game that doesn't suck, not named SlamMasters. It also slaps.
Sounds neato, I got an FXPax Pro and one of those Internet Archive zips with like everything on it, so it should be trivial for me to find this one and check it out!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 28, 2023

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

RandolphCarter posted:

If you’ve got money to burn you can get a Steam Deck and play fire pro on that.

The Steam Deck is nice but between my Switch and my Retroid I have enough handhelds

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Dishwasher posted:

Gotta convince someone to translate the Gamecenter CX episode of that.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Minidust posted:

What would "packs" be in this context? We're still talking about SNES right?

Yep! Edits were shared through game save
.SRM compilations. They used to be readily available on the old Fire Pro Forums, but you should still be able to find the most popular ones on Gamefaqs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Something stupid I've been watching when I'm bored is people on YouTube using WWE 2K22 to sim existing Royal Rumbles. Same wrestlers, same entrance order, same arena if possible. VERY different results. It's weirdly amusing.

Like there's one channel that has redone pretty much all of them, such as Royal Rumble 1996 where Doug Gilbert goes into business for himself by eliminating Shawn Michaels and Vader until his reign of terror is ended by Barry Horowitz.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

Something stupid I've been watching when I'm bored is people on YouTube using WWE 2K22 to sim existing Royal Rumbles. Same wrestlers, same entrance order, same arena if possible. VERY different results. It's weirdly amusing.

Like there's one channel that has redone pretty much all of them, such as Royal Rumble 1996 where Doug Gilbert goes into business for himself by eliminating Shawn Michaels and Vader until his reign of terror is ended by Barry Horowitz.

I just started the ‘92 Rumble and I’m already lmaoing at Dave E! Boy… smith and his glorious hair

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sandman McMahon posted:

I just started the ‘92 Rumble and I’m already lmaoing at Dave E! Boy… smith and his glorious hair

Speaking of glorious hair, I'm impressed that instead of just using a regular Yokozuna from his prime, 1996 Yokozuna has that long hair look from his final year in the company.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
Saw this on a discord. No idea how it plays but they nailed the AKI animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyiOBPYt7aA

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

there is room in my heart for all these wrestling games

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
2k23 DLC roadmap is released. They got the Zeus!

Steiner Row Pack
Release Date: April 19

Scott Steiner
Rick Steiner
Top Dolla
Ashante Adonis
B-Fab (Manager only)

Pretty Sweet Pack
Release Date: May 17

Karl Anderson
Luke Gallows
Tiffany Stratton
Elton Prince
Kit Wilson

Race to NXT Pack
Release Date: June 14

Harley Race
Ivy Nile
Wendy Choo
Tony D’Angelo
Trick Williams

Revel with Wyatt Pack
Release Date: July 19

Bray Wyatt
Zeus
Valhalla
Joe Gacy
Blair Davenport

Bad News U Pack
Release Date: August 16

Eve Torres
Wade Barrett
Damon Kemp
Andre Chase
Nathan Frazer

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

2k23 DLC roadmap is released. They got the Zeus!

Steiner Row Pack
Release Date: April 19

Scott Steiner
Rick Steiner
Top Dolla
Ashante Adonis
B-Fab (Manager only)

Pretty Sweet Pack
Release Date: May 17

Karl Anderson
Luke Gallows
Tiffany Stratton
Elton Prince
Kit Wilson

Race to NXT Pack
Release Date: June 14

Harley Race
Ivy Nile
Wendy Choo
Tony D’Angelo
Trick Williams

Revel with Wyatt Pack
Release Date: July 19

Bray Wyatt
Zeus
Valhalla
Joe Gacy
Blair Davenport

Bad News U Pack
Release Date: August 16

Eve Torres
Wade Barrett
Damon Kemp
Andre Chase
Nathan Frazer

i'm not paying for harlem bravado

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

what about for Wade Barrett

he does the wade slam

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Don't see a point in adding Zeus unless they add in enough other WCW guys to recreate the Doomsday Cage Match

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Question 1: Who are Elton Prince and Kit Wilson? As someone who just follows WWE/NXT through this website and WOL, I can't remember even hearing these names before.
Question 2: How the hell ya gonna do a Bad News pack and not include Bad News Brown?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

Question 1: Who are Elton Prince and Kit Wilson? As someone who just follows WWE/NXT through this website and WOL, I can't remember even hearing these names before.
Question 2: How the hell ya gonna do a Bad News pack and not include Bad News Brown?

they are the tag team Pretty Deadly and the bad news is in reference to Bad News Barrett

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JOHN CENA posted:

they are the tag team Pretty Deadly and the bad news is in reference to Bad News Barrett

I know it's in reference to Wade, but why not double down on it?

And thanks! I know them by the team name but I guess never see/hear their individual names.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im looking to pick up a wrestling game but I havent played one since the PS3 (and, honestly, havnt really followed wrestling much since then either). I just remember having a blast playing them with my brother and friends.

I loved the THQ games the most since they werent really difficult to learn or play and didnt involve button mashing or button combos. Wrestlemania 2000 was my favourite, but the last one I remember playing was on PS3 and was the first one that had create-a-finisher, manager mode and an online database to download other peoples created wrestlers. I know THQ has long since vanished, but are any of the newer wrestling games close enough to the old game formula?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The aew game that is coming out at some point is being made by the wrestlemania 2000 and ps2/ps3 era developers and is designed to play just like those

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

did anyone post this?

the animations look a little stiff and the models look like junk but ill take any decent wrestling game

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

did anyone post this?

the animations look a little stiff and the models look like junk but ill take any decent wrestling game

the animations look less "inspired by" the Aki games and more "directly stolen from" the Aki games

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Im looking to pick up a wrestling game but I havent played one since the PS3 (and, honestly, havnt really followed wrestling much since then either). I just remember having a blast playing them with my brother and friends.

I loved the THQ games the most since they werent really difficult to learn or play and didnt involve button mashing or button combos. Wrestlemania 2000 was my favourite, but the last one I remember playing was on PS3 and was the first one that had create-a-finisher, manager mode and an online database to download other peoples created wrestlers. I know THQ has long since vanished, but are any of the newer wrestling games close enough to the old game formula?

JOHN CENA posted:

The aew game that is coming out at some point is being made by the wrestlemania 2000 and ps2/ps3 era developers and is designed to play just like those

The rumor is the 31st of this month and at the scrum last night Tony Khan said it's finished but that he can't say a release date yet.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Alaois posted:

the animations look less "inspired by" the Aki games and more "directly stolen from" the Aki games

Considering most AKI animations are directly lifted from actual matches, famous scenarios, or the coolest/most iconic looking occurrence of a move (Stunner from WM14 and that one nuclear sized Jackknife Powerbomb to Disco Inferno, for example), I think that's fair enough.

All this needs to be is World Tour graphics + VPW2/NM engine tweaks + community creations and it's gonna be Lit. Both Fight Forever and Not-VPW3 can stay. Two grappling engine games after this much time is an embarrassment of riches.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 8, 2023

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Suplex Liberace posted:

did anyone post this?

First created · 0 backed

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’m still waiting for Fight Forever’s release date to be announced, but there’s now a legitimate reason for 2k23 to move from the ‘Do not buy’ category to ‘maybe buy’:

https://twitter.com/phoenixnitro/status/1633140627985645574?s=46&t=XvrQwNe2ohQa_fKBAbwFNg

Edit: some of the reply’s also say there is a loyalty factor, so if two wrestlers have high loyalty to each other then they won’t attack each other unless necessary in Rumbles or multi man matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’m still waiting for Fight Forever’s release date to be announced, but there’s now a legitimate reason for 2k23 to move from the ‘Do not buy’ category to ‘maybe buy’:

https://twitter.com/phoenixnitro/status/1633140627985645574?s=46&t=XvrQwNe2ohQa_fKBAbwFNg

Edit: some of the reply’s also say there is a loyalty factor, so if two wrestlers have high loyalty to each other then they won’t attack each other unless necessary in Rumbles or multi man matches.

Pretty neat but there's still the massive caveat of it needing to actually function.