Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

How? AliExpress is so easy to do stuff via VPN? To me it sounds like the listings are just coming down in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That seems like it could also be an effort to cut off supply to UA purchasers, or a preparation to divert those drones to Russia.

I'm not sure Russia could use them effectively but they might be glad to have them!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

M_Gargantua posted:

How? AliExpress is so easy to do stuff via VPN? To me it sounds like the listings are just coming down in general

A VPN doesn't hide your shipping address, though.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Computer viking posted:

A VPN doesn't hide your shipping address, though.

They're using the emirates to ship sensible / sanctioned stuff to russia

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

spankmeister posted:

Incidentally that's where the infosec usage of the term is borrowed from. More terms are borrowed from military terminology like C2 for example.

My favorite ridiculous term infosec stole from the military is the cyber killchain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's the name of my shadowrun character

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also your FetLife profile

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1631379082234437650

One of them always plays the punchingbag, it cuts here before we see what happens. It does sound very serious though.

Something else: A little bavovna happened

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1631394478211604506

https://twitter.com/igornovikov/status/1631392124074590209

A couple of bmp's run headlong into the tanks of the 53rd mechanized, seen at the bottom left at the start of the video

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1631365078170624027

While we're at it, check out the irony

https://twitter.com/TheScrubmaster/status/1631064752423071746

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

i thought they were supposed to be de-nazifying ukraine not adding more

E: for the unenlightened, dude's flag patch represents a hardline white ethnonationalist group/monarchist empire type group, they want to reinstate the Tsar of Russia and expand to old Russian Empire borders.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 2, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

orange juche posted:

i thought they were supposed to be de-nazifying ukraine not adding more

due to a manufacturing error at Uralvagonzavod this is the limited-run Oops! All Nazis brand invasion

zone
Dec 6, 2016

tiaz posted:

due to a manufacturing error at Uralvagonzavod this is the limited-run Oops! All Nazis brand invasion

If we always have enough nazis to denazify, we have a conveniently manufactured ongoing casus belli. Putin remains a master strategist.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Power Khan posted:

One of them always plays the punchingbag, it cuts here before we see what happens. It does sound very serious though.

The punchingbag is often there to put up what the media thinks is the centre of gravity of opposition thought so that it can be attacked by the majority panel. What they say reflects the worry over where bits of Russian public opinion might be going.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I wonder if the drone that crashed a few km north of Kolomna some days ago was part of this.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1631407222898020352
New aid package to be announced. Just the usual stuff this time.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Well, there's a load of them getting pretty thorough training up in various unpleasant parts of the UK. I guess maybe not 100% but 10,000 every 120 days seems significant, and that's just one country.

https://rusi.org/events/open-to-all/british-armys-contribution-training-ukrainian-forces

It's possible that, although significant numbers of troops are being trained, Ukraine has those troops earmarked for an offensive later in the spring. In the meantime, however, someone has to occupy the trenches to hold the line against the Russian offensive. Since there's only so much training capacity, and because troops are needed now rather than in a few months, some troops are being thrown into the lines now without much preparation.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Sir John Falstaff posted:

It's possible that, although significant numbers of troops are being trained, Ukraine has those troops earmarked for an offensive later in the spring. In the meantime, however, someone has to occupy the trenches to hold the line against the Russian offensive. Since there's only so much training capacity, and because troops are needed now rather than in a few months, some troops are being thrown into the lines now without much preparation.

That's basically it. In an interview done about a month or so ago, General Zaluzhny said that there were plenty of reserves, equipment etc. but it had to be accumulated over a long period of time and husbanded as carefully as possible. He asked those soldiers (mainly TDF units) who were holding the line at the hotspots to forgive him for not being able to do as much for them as he wanted to. :smith:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah it's pretty much raw calculus. The territorial defense forces are inflicting maximum casualties on the Russians while absorbing the attacks that would deplete the better trained and equipped forces being held in reserve for a counter offensive.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

psydude posted:

Yeah it's pretty much raw calculus. The territorial defense forces are inflicting maximum casualties on the Russians while absorbing the attacks that would deplete the better trained and equipped forces being held in reserve for a counter offensive.

I heard it said somewhere that veteran troops can actually be worse on an offensive campaign, because they learn risk avoiding habits in battle. That's good for staying alive, but not good for your army's offensive campaign. He's saving the freshly trained people as much as possible for later so they may produce a Kharkiv 2.0 hopefully in the future. The TDF on the other hand are mostly only good for defensive, static postures. That they are inflicting maximum damage on the Russians (but also taking high casualties) is probably the best-case scenario given the choices available.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
A lot more than just TDF are fighting in Bakhmut.

On a mostly unrelated note, Russia has had more T-90M documented destroyed in the last 6 weeks than in the rest of the war combined.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 3, 2023

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sounds like the GBS Ukraine thread is opening back up. There is going to be a single post here notifying folks and asking for feedback.

As a rule, none of the IKs or Mod have any issues with other sub forums. We just aren’t them and have our own rules and cultural norms. Please don’t derail this thread with comparisons between us and GBS. Feel free to hang out here. Or there. Or both places. Everyone is welcome here. We just expect you to not poo poo up our little corner of the forums.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 3, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

(Hekk has OK'd this post just FYI)

Gonna go meta for a second - If the Ukraine thread in GBS is re-opened, 1. Are there any additional rules that the old one didn't have and are not in the old thread that you'd like to see implemented and 2. Do you have any links to godawful horrible posts that you would use as examples of what NOT to post? If so, please DM me.

Please do not respond to this here. Thank you, goodbye.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

On a mostly unrelated note, Russia has had more T-90M documented destroyed in the last 6 weeks than in the rest of the war combined.

Of course, but it seems like the trend for the past month or two has been Ukraine reinforcing the front with TDF.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 3, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What's so special about the T-90M? Just the latest and greatest or is it really super?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
For those leaving: it was fun having a bunch of new faces around, i appreciate the effort of all the folks posting updates, even though it was quite a bit of a change in pace at times. Come visit again :shobon:

For those staying: the Buldak chicken carbonara noodles in the cupboard clearly had my name on them, please don't take them without asking next time, you don't even like the chicken carbonara, Mark
:mad:

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What's so special about the T-90M? Just the latest and greatest or is it really super?

It can pop it's top like a T-72 but in a more expensive manner.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It’s probably their best tank. First debut was 2017, and there can’t be that many of them (compared to the other tanks Russia has/had).

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

ISW reports Terminator supported T-90M tanks operating around Kreminna.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's the most advanced tank the Russians have actually managed to produce in numbers. The fact that they're losing a lot there means that the Russians threw their best equipped (and one would hope best trained) men into this battle and still got wrecked.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Now teabagging is simply bad form but ill make an exception for this one:

https://twitter.com/igornovikov/status/1631297968648192000?s=20

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

ISW reports Terminator supported T-90M tanks operating around Kreminna.

:dafuq:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Its supposed to be a city warfare support variant or something, I'm not a tanker.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

IFV with autocannons and ATGMs, modernized optics.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's the best they have, and they don't have that many of them. T-90M losses imply the most elite units they have getting chewed up.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

T-90M is a completely modernized T-72.

It’s got better fire control system, better gun, better sights, better armor, better ERA, better engine etc…

But, it’s still a T-72 underneath it all so it still has that platforms issues and limitations. Slow reverse speed, cramped and uncomfortable crew positions, lack of crew awareness, an ammo rack that seems to be particularly vulnerable to cooking off, lack of gun depression and I’m sure a dozen other things.

Also, given that it’s Russia how many of them really have all the bits and bobs like advanced thermal imagers that they are supposed to?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm honestly shocked at this point they haven't thrown a T-14 prototype out there.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1631388798977187885?s=20

Good training (I guess as a Navy guy)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

GD_American posted:

I'm honestly shocked at this point they haven't thrown a T-14 prototype out there.

I'm sure they would if they were actually mobile.

I'm a bit agog at that A-50 teabagging. I mean I guess it was in Russia and the US has had its share of base security embarrassments especially behind the lines, but that was also the A-50 that had been redeployed forward and very few of them exist so I kind of expected it to be under somewhat tighter scrutiny

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

mlmp08 posted:

IFV with autocannons and ATGMs, modernized optics.

I don’t know if you can even call it an IFV since it doesn’t carry infantry. It’s just a T-72 chassis with 2x 30mm auto cannons, 4x ATGMs, 2x 30mm AGLs and 1 7.62 coax.

It’s a GI Joe vehicle

kill me now fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 3, 2023

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/02/09/the-ukrainian-army-just-blew-up-one-of-russias-10-terminator-fighting-vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

kill me now posted:

I don’t know if you can even call it an IFV since it doesn’t carry infantry. It’s just a T-72 chassis with 2x 30mm auto cannons, 4x ATGMs, 2x 30mm AGLs and 1 7.62 coax.

It’s a GI Joe vehicle

Every time I look at that loadout I imagine the operators sitting in just a sea of brass, cascading off of them anytime they move. It's as though they were trying to collect as many different cartridges as possible. Was the fire rate of 1x AC or AGL really not enough?

I know! Let's put a flamethrower on it too! :shepface: