Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
“Less than well-capitalized” is a pro-tier euphemism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

for "broke"

Sorry I will not be paying my rent this quarter due to the unforeseen circumstance of my financial position's status as less than well-capitalized.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
fwiw, "other-than-temporary impairment" sounds like a euphemism, but it is in fact an official jargon phrase that is defined by the FDIC guidance.

amy and i are busy putting together a post about what the gently caress just happened here

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

PhazonLink posted:

what is the other bank?

SBNY, I think. It got mentioned w/ Silvergate on the previous page of the thread.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Don't you all feel reassured when your investment platform Tweets reassurances that they totally still have all your money??

I don't see Vanguard doing that!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

"continue as a going concern" is also pretty good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Popete posted:

Don't you all feel reassured when your investment platform Tweets reassurances that they totally still have all your money??

I don't see Vanguard doing that!

Vanguard is so old-fashioned they're not even on Web2!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

what is the other bank?

Signature Bank.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

divabot posted:

fwiw, "other-than-temporary impairment" sounds like a euphemism, but it is in fact an official jargon phrase that is defined by the FDIC guidance.

amy and i are busy putting together a post about what the gently caress just happened here

whoa what just happened here?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

jokes posted:

Vanguard is so old-fashioned they're not even on Web2!

its why I trust them so

make my money boring please

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

divabot posted:

it looks like matt levine's latest newsletter addresses it pretty well, with the additional note that everyone is reading the news right now and making phone calls to get their money out of Silvergate right the gently caress now and so silvergate is definitely going to have a lot less deposits tomorrow than it does today

basically it had a synthetic bank run, caused by all of its deposits being ftx linked, and now it has a real bank run, caused by it being public knowledge it's hosed

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
USBank has basically stepped the hell away from anything crypto lately - they were one of the first to advertise looking into custodial services, but never did any form of crypto lending stuff. On the flip side I suspect Ally might get impacted, I saw it referenced in some of the SBNY/Silvergate stuff + also managing to be one of the biggest auto lenders in the US at the same time.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Popete posted:

"continue as a going concern" is also pretty good.

both of them are formally defined terms in US accounting standards, which is why they strike that sweet spot of oblique-but-accurate. Technically correct so that you get the point across clearly to anyone paying attention, not so blunt that it's so easy for a newspaper to jam into a punchy and scary headline

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Being a banker is basically a license to print money, you can't fail unless the mortgage market crashes and then you just get bailed out anyways.

Why would you gamble on shiba inu coins when you've already won a free ticket to being a billionaire

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Not mentioned in the thread yet is the extremely suspicious "trillion dollar" payment network Silvergate was running between a bunch of crytpo companies:

certainly nothing could go wrong with this offering:

(from presentation here: https://s23.q4cdn.com/615058218/files/doc_presentations/2022/11/Silvergate-Investor-Presentation-November-2022.pdf)

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Being a banker is basically a license to print money, you can't fail unless the mortgage market crashes and then you just get bailed out anyways.

Why would you gamble on shiba inu coins when you've already won a free ticket to being a billionaire

elon cause the inu coins. Also flashy poo poo SBF was doing it was literally fear of missing out and poo poo

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe im jumping at shadows, but when the thumbnail is shrunk it looks vaguely nazi-ish

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

drk posted:

Not mentioned in the thread yet is the extremely suspicious "trillion dollar" payment network Silvergate was running between a bunch of crytpo companies:

certainly nothing could go wrong with this offering:

(from presentation here: https://s23.q4cdn.com/615058218/files/doc_presentations/2022/11/Silvergate-Investor-Presentation-November-2022.pdf)

lmfao

so, they dont manage risk at all

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ellie the beep posted:

so, they dont manage risk at all

The presentation is dated Sept 30 2022, when "less than well collateralized" would be extremely charitable to any bitcoin loans made earlier that year.

Bitcoin was down >60% at that point, and still hasnt recovered.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

VitalSigns posted:

because they're greedy fuckheads op, as you can tell by them getting into crypto

here is amy and me explaining this dumb poo poo - with some stultifying detail!!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

maybe im jumping at shadows, but when the thumbnail is shrunk it looks vaguely nazi-ish

is anyone else seeing this????

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Strumpie posted:

is anyone else seeing this????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ldeqRU9XNw

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

PhazonLink posted:

I think you've trained your brain to associate round figures containing thick black lines with swastikas.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
stock traders, is this good

edit: better pic

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

drk posted:

lmao instead of "to the moon" it's "straight into the ground"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drk posted:

who even held stock in silvergate though

drk
Jan 16, 2005

orange juche posted:

who even held stock in silvergate though

You, if you hold a US stock index fund (its part of VTSAX, for example)

The wheels of justice grind a little slow, but fortunately sketchy banks imploding has happened before, so the banking system will be fine.

The companies using Silvergate's proprietary money laundering API might not be so fortunate.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

drk posted:

Basically FTX and others left them with huge losses last year, leaving them potentially "less than well capitalized", which is not a statement you want to be making as a bank. "Other-than-temporary impairment on the securities portfolio" is also a masterful turn of phrase since what it actually means is many of their customers recently went bankrupt after losing a massive of money in the course of doing various crimes.

I skimmed the 10-Q but couldn't quite figure out specifically what the "impaired securities" were - securitized loans to crypto exchanges? Or is the "impairment" a result of having to dump plain-vanilla stuff like bonds and mortgages to meet cash withdrawals? It doesn't seem like they were holding any shitcoins directly on their balance sheet, but maybe that's something they wouldn't publish in a mandatory report to the SEC? Even though that definitely seems like it would be legally questionable, to say the least.

I'm curious because, even though it seems like the Howey test governs all when it comes to what is and isn't a security, I wonder if something like this could be evidence to establish a precedent and fuel future prosecutions. "Your honor, this particular pack of idiots in 2022 treated these things as though they were securities, and look how many people they ended up screwing over..."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

drk posted:

good if you shorted it yesterday!!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

istewart posted:

I skimmed the 10-Q but couldn't quite figure out specifically what the "impaired securities" were - securitized loans to crypto exchanges? Or is the "impairment" a result of having to dump plain-vanilla stuff like bonds and mortgages to meet cash withdrawals? It doesn't seem like they were holding any shitcoins directly on their balance sheet, but maybe that's something they wouldn't publish in a mandatory report to the SEC? Even though that definitely seems like it would be legally questionable, to say the least.

I'm curious because, even though it seems like the Howey test governs all when it comes to what is and isn't a security, I wonder if something like this could be evidence to establish a precedent and fuel future prosecutions. "Your honor, this particular pack of idiots in 2022 treated these things as though they were securities, and look how many people they ended up screwing over..."

Matt Levine has a long and predictably good take in his latest newletter. Too long to put here, but here's probably the most relevant bit

quote:

But Silvergate is having a real run on the bank! It has lost money, not by making dumb Bitcoin loans — the Bitcoin loans are fine — but by doing the normal business of banking, borrowing short (taking deposits from crypto firms) to lend long (buying Treasuries and munis). Silvergate’s assets are real boring normal stuff, and if its depositors had kept their money at Silvergate, its bonds would have matured with plenty of money to pay them back. Instead, the depositors demanded their money back all at once, and Silvergate had to dump its long-term assets at big losses to repay them.

The story today is that Silvergate’s customers are withdrawing their money because they are worried about Silvergate, “in light of recent developments & out of an abundance of caution,” classic bank-run stuff. But that's not why they were withdrawing their money in late 2022, when the trouble started. Then, they were withdrawing their money because crypto had collapsed

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Situation Normal, Funds All Safe

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Emptying my bank accounts and stashing money under my solid gun mattress out of an abundance of caution

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't banks tend to have underwriting arrangements with other banks to avoid bank-run-triggered collapses?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Watching bitcoin drop like a rock yesterday around 5 pm was fun.

I wonder if it had anything to do with slivergate

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ups_rail posted:

Watching bitcoin drop like a rock yesterday around 5 pm was fun.

I wonder if it had anything to do with slivergate

Nothing has ever anything to do with anything related to bitcoin. The number goes up and down randomly for no discernible reason. When it happens at the same time as something you would expect to affect a real currency, it's pure coincidence.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
A mean lady wrote a mean letter to CZ more or less accusing Binance and CZ personally of doing various crimes

a US senator posted:

In the few years since its founding, Binance has laundered billions in crypto, moving at least $10 billion to criminals and sanctions evaders. This is no accident. It appears that money laundering is central to Binance’s business strategy – so much so that Mr. Zhao himself has directed his so-called ‘compliance’ team to substantially weaken the platform’s anti-money laundering controls, or do away with them completely. Binance staff, including its Chief Compliance Officer and former Global Money Laundering Reporting Officer, expressed concern about the company’s “weak” know-your-customer (KYC) checks. Mr. Zhao ignored these worries. In fact, the company’s Chief Compliance Officer advised colleagues that Mr. Zhao wanted “no kyc,” and for “users to be able to trade within 10 minutes of signing up,” presumably bypassing the collection of identifying information. In messages sent via encrypted messaging service Telegram, the Chief Compliance Officer wrote, “Reduce KYC. Raise Limits. BEST COMBO.”

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2023.03.01%20Letter%20to%20Binance%20and%20Binance.US%20re%20Compliance%20and%20Risk.pdf

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

drk posted:

A mean lady wrote a mean letter to CZ more or less accusing Binance and CZ personally of doing various crimes

will fiatailure jealousy never cease

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Prelminary Analysis of Shortfalls at FTX.com https://www.scribd.com/book/629154802

$9 billion is missing

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
lmao just an unfathomable amount of money entrusted to morons

capitalism.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
spf's crimes can only go up uP UP!