Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

This game is pretty great, love all the little improvements - the combat and mechanics I loved in the original and this seems to just be improvements all around.

I started Agnea and immediately rushed to chapter 2, picking up Throne on the way. Massively underleveled for Ch.2 but grabbed a low chance, high level follow that 2 shotted the boss. Just picked up Temenos and I love his rough detective vibe.

Thinking about trying a balanced stories strategy, where I keep stories progressions consecutive (e.g. have characters on 1, 2, 3, 4) and wait til I complete a chapter 4 to grab a new chapter 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Xalidur posted:

Octopath 2 is definitely improved from Octopath the First in basically all areas, and yet nobody has as hype a voice line as Olberic shouting MY BLADE IS UNBENDING before completely annihilating a boss, so it's actually impossible to say which is the better game.

I dunno, I really like Casti's "NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN"

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

WITH THESE HANDS

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I definitely appreciate the voice acting and direction in this one; the accents are a nice touch, particularly the way Agnea drops in and out of her country accent.

Meanwhile, I'm kind of in awe of how much sense the setting doesn't really make, economically or politically. Probably I'll get some more details as I go, but right now there's a lot of talk about economic development and... I'm not even sure if there's a country here. Who is enforcing the dodgy contract Partitio's dad signed? There appear to have been no consequences to just beating the poo poo out of the landowner's local goons and taking physical possession of the deed, so, I guess, "nobody"? Someone referenced a king maybe once, and there's a prison, and a church with knights. Is the Western continent part of the same government as the Eastern continent? Evidently Ku isn't part of it, and there are a lot of non-Ku kingdoms that Ku was fighting with that we don't see.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've switched to japanese and yet I have not heard Osvald say YOROKOBE SHOUNEN! even once.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

I definitely appreciate the voice acting and direction in this one; the accents are a nice touch, particularly the way Agnea drops in and out of her country accent.

Meanwhile, I'm kind of in awe of how much sense the setting doesn't really make, economically or politically. Probably I'll get some more details as I go, but right now there's a lot of talk about economic development and... I'm not even sure if there's a country here. Who is enforcing the dodgy contract Partitio's dad signed? There appear to have been no consequences to just beating the poo poo out of the landowner's local goons and taking physical possession of the deed, so, I guess, "nobody"? Someone referenced a king maybe once, and there's a prison, and a church with knights. Is the Western continent part of the same government as the Eastern continent? Evidently Ku isn't part of it, and there are a lot of non-Ku kingdoms that Ku was fighting with that we don't see.

It's mentioned that Ku was waging war with people from out farther west from the desert. The continent expands out beyond the edge of the map and the playable boundary there.

As far as an overarching government or like any formal kingdom or anything there doesn't seem to be one? It feels like a rather archaic world in that sense in that every city/village is basically in charge of themselves. Given that steam power is the current technological revolution it almost gives me like US Western Frontier vibes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Enforcement is done by big angry men with sticks. Pretty much anyone with money pays people to work for them and OT is explicitly not a world where your characters are the only badasses on the block. A lot of the bodyguards and poo poo that are hanging out have levels to match.

Partitio does not punch his way out of every situation because he is a good guy who believes in the value of sticking to his word and would rather find legitimate solutions to issues. He believes this to a fault but that honesty is a major part of his character.

Like that is the important thing about his character. He is a big enough badass he *could* do things by force but that isn't what he wants. He wants to create a world that is stable and safe where nobody goes hungry and people's needs come before profits. He will fight when he has to but even then he wants a solution that isn't 'stab the other dude to death'

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 2, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Castii is a mean jerk to Partitio but it works out because I did the first Ochette/Castii chapter and Ochette basically nicknamed Castii as "Ma" due to acting like such a mother. Plus lmao at the bandaged Dourdour or whatever.

One more "Chapter 2" to go (I mean, I still have a ton of Chapter 2's to go, but I've done at least one Chapter 2 segment with each character besides Hikari), game still owns. I kinda wish Osvald was more involved, he's such a straight man that he's barely involved in any of the travel banters so far. Even otherwise-straightlaced members like Castii, Hikari, and Throné get to have some goofy moments in banters. Agnea and Partitio in particular are so supportive to everyone, Tenemos has a great sense of humor about things, and Ochette is Chaos Incarnate.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ochette is the new Tressa, in the best way possible. I thought I would find her annoying but instead she rules.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You'd think a character whose sole character trait is "HUNGRY" would get old, but instead she's the most relatable character I've ever played as.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

You'd think a character whose sole character trait is "HUNGRY" would get old, but instead she's the most relatable character I've ever played as.

She makes friends by feeding them. Hell yeah

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Honor? You can't even eat that!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Really enjoying my 2nd party of Team Help People and Be Nice and Cool

Agnea, Partitio, Castti, and Ochette are just having a nice time

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just like with the first game, levels don't matter as much as a good party composition (especially if you get your hands on some decent gear). Like, I killed a 95k hp boss, who could act twice a round and do 1k+ damage attacks, including knocking 2 party members out of the fight for several rounds with a party under level 30 because the party was just that solid of a composition while making full use of my pile of mostly unused items. That group also explored a threat level 50 area, looting everything there and winning some encounters including capturing a blood revenant for ochette, which is a max power monster with a once per fight use restriction, and she's had an 8 strength AOE monster since about level 20.

I'm curious what group you're running.

I started off thinking I would do Osvald/Throne/Hikari/Temenos and they were really drat good together. Then I played some more chapter 1s and looked up abilities and I've kind of landed on Osvald/Hikari/Agnea/Ochette and it seems to not perform quite as well (but still totally fine, mind you).

I'm regretting picking Osvald as my main, not because I don't like him, but I just wish I'd have gone with Hikari instead because I feel like I'm always wanting to use him but I wouldn't mind swapping Osvald every once in a while.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there an issue with Steam Cloud for this? My PC isn't picking up my deck save.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've been able to go between PC and Deck fine, so it may be on your end or some weird issue or something.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I've gone between laptop and pc with no issues but I don't have a steamdeck to try that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Steam forums have a few topics on it, I guess it's uncommon enough to be annoying but not widespread.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’ve gotta say, I like the variety in tones for the stories. You’ve got deadly serious dramas and revenge tales and also Partitio Forrest Gump-ing his way through the history of capitalism

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I just finished Partitio's Chapter 3 and by god he's just the coolest. I wanna hang out and drink with him, and I don't drink.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

recruited Hikari, he feels like he's supposed to be the main character between the secret journal thing about some weirdly unseen uber-enemy + maybe he's the only character whose goal actually is to "accrue strong allies to save the kingdom," making him the one guy here who set out to find a crew to travel with.

Funny how I made a beeline from Ryu to go north and didn't realize it was the path to the most western area available lol.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Combo posted:

I'm curious what group you're running.

I started off thinking I would do Osvald/Throne/Hikari/Temenos and they were really drat good together. Then I played some more chapter 1s and looked up abilities and I've kind of landed on Osvald/Hikari/Agnea/Ochette and it seems to not perform quite as well (but still totally fine, mind you).

I'm regretting picking Osvald as my main, not because I don't like him, but I just wish I'd have gone with Hikari instead because I feel like I'm always wanting to use him but I wouldn't mind swapping Osvald every once in a while.

Osvald's my main but I swap my party comp around regularly. If I were to pick a different main it'd probably be Hikari, maybe Ochette.

For those fights I did at a much lower level than they're likely intended for, my team was:

Hikari - Armsmaster
Osvald - Merchant
Temenos - Inventor
Ochette - Warrior

Hikari and Ochette were the main damage dealers, with Ochette also able to use one of her pokemon for a 600hp aoe cure, also leg trap. Leg trap continues to be OP as hell. Temenos would occasionally catapult for damage but otherwise healed/buffed and tossed items on people for SP and such. Osvald would occasionally nuke but otherwise he'd use the 2nd tier of hired help to keep atk/def down on the bosses and occasionally use the first tier to buff the party's defense as well. Any time a boss went into their charge mode I used whatever could get me enough hits to break them before they could act. After beating the shark, I got a Davy Bones for Ochette in the cave there and that is a 2x sword attack which was her main damage skill for the whirlpool boss since it was usually weak to swords.

If I had Castti instead of Temenos the fights would've probably gone easier since max BP mix + LP would have meant big free buff/debuff rounds.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 3, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shyfted One posted:

Really enjoying my 2nd party of Team Help People and Be Nice and Cool

Agnea, Partitio, Castti, and Ochette are just having a nice time

Partitio and Agnea were my first two and are still my favorites

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Hi Kari is an absolute monster. I’m not even using his learned moves that often because he just hits so hard with normal attacks.

My current set up is Throne main, Teremenos, Osvald, and Hikari and we just eat things alive. Weirdly enough, Throne is my weak link in it all. Certainly don’t dislike her, just wish I could sub in someone a little harder hitting. Maybe I need to give her a better subclass? I dunno.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Saxophone posted:

My current set up is Throne main, Teremenos, Osvald, and Hikari and we just eat things alive. Weirdly enough, Throne is my weak link in it all. Certainly don’t dislike her, just wish I could sub in someone a little harder hitting. Maybe I need to give her a better subclass? I dunno.

I felt the same way honestly but she really does pay off. I came across a boss who disables primary job skills so I finally looked into second jobs when she was mid 50s and my others were all low 40s.

I went Warrior for the damage cap break, her divine skill hits for 25k+ with a damage buff on a broken enemy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I got Hikari, put this rare Harpoon Spear I stole off a fisherman on him and he's making GBS threads out more damage at like lvl 9 than my lvl 15 people lol. His bread and butter setup for boosting his defense/taunting enemies/activating the counter state is pretty cool.

So far the least important member of the team has been Castti who is basically the tank with her initial support skill of "shitloads of HP" and using her limit break to get a free spell. I'm still trying to figure out which concoctions work best and where to buy all that poo poo consistently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I got Hikari, put this rare Harpoon Spear I stole off a fisherman on him and he's making GBS threads out more damage at like lvl 9 than my lvl 15 people lol. His bread and butter setup for boosting his defense/taunting enemies/activating the counter state is pretty cool.

So far the least important member of the team has been Castti who is basically the tank with her initial support skill of "shitloads of HP" and using her limit break to get a free spell. I'm still trying to figure out which concoctions work best and where to buy all that poo poo consistently.

You can buy them later in the game but the trick is to save the real broken stuff so you can use it with her Latent Power and just give your entire team full BP and a heal on demand

Remember to full boost for maximum effectiveness, especially since you'll probably gain the BP back anyway.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

I'm thinking of trying Merchant for her next time I'm leveling her. "Start with Latent Power" and one extra BP mixed with her Latent Power seems ideal because you don't use up ingredients with her LP.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I really wish that I could have 5 people in my party, because I mained Agnea, then have Hikari, Temenos, and Osvald, but I really want Partitio in there too because his character is so pleasant. I’d cut Osvald but the elemental coverage and damage…. A good problem for a game to have really.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I just mix up my party comp a lot and have 2 or 3 stronger characters carry the weaker ones. Kinda annoying to swap equipment though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

I just mix up my party comp a lot and have 2 or 3 stronger characters carry the weaker ones. Kinda annoying to swap equipment though.

There is a remove all option in the tavern screen

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

There is a remove all option in the tavern screen

Oh yeah I use this a lot but I wish you could also unequip your member's secondary classes at the same screen. It would also be nice if there were a way to save party+equipment combinations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

A Real Horse posted:

I really wish that I could have 5 people in my party, because I mained Agnea, then have Hikari, Temenos, and Osvald, but I really want Partitio in there too because his character is so pleasant. I’d cut Osvald but the elemental coverage and damage…. A good problem for a game to have really.

Scholar for Tenemos' second class imo. Elemental Barrage plus his Latent Power shreds shields.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Real Horse posted:

Put Scholar on someone, Temenos in particular.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

As soon as I find the scholar guild that’s the plan.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s in the area west of Winterbloom iirc the shrine is under the bridge.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Once again, the Dancer has insanely high elemental attack but low SP so Agnea can be an insanely good Scholar with a bunch of SP-boosting equipment.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

When this game goes dark it goes daaaaaark.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

When this game goes dark it goes daaaaaark.

The mobile gacha game has some dark story lines too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Primrose’s story alone in the original made me wonder if they only avoided an M because of the pixel art style