Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ended up ordering the Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire after comments here led me to some glowing youtube reviews.

It includes babby's first PE, so that should be fun. I don't need anything fancier than plain old superglue for that, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do you have any tools for bending the PE? You don't need to go out and buy a bending jig to start (although they're very handy), as long as you have something to hold down a piece of PE and then get something slim like a blade under it to lever it up and make the bend. Even two pairs of pliers would work in a pinch.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'd recommend a metal file to clean up the gate, and at the risk of sounding condescending or stating the obvious, cut the PE off its sprue with a hobby blade. Don't use the plastic nippers. Some debonder can be useful in case for some reason the piece doesn't adhere on the first try.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Even two pairs of pliers would work in a pinch.

teehee

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ooh, speaking of cutting off the gate on PE, I'd recommend getting a pair of surgical Iris Scissors if you can find them. They're nice tiny scissors that come down to a needle tip, and they have very firm, sharp blades. Small enough that you can slip them right in the gap of PE and snip the gates flush. I almost never have to clean up a gate since they cut so close, and I've had mine for 10+ years and they're still sharp as the day I got them.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ooh, speaking of cutting off the gate on PE, I'd recommend getting a pair of surgical Iris Scissors if you can find them. They're nice tiny scissors that come down to a needle tip, and they have very firm, sharp blades. Small enough that you can slip them right in the gap of PE and snip the gates flush. I almost never have to clean up a gate since they cut so close, and I've had mine for 10+ years and they're still sharp as the day I got them.

Beats my method of snipping them off with a straight razor blade on a piece of plexiglass. I'll have to look into those.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you have any tools for bending the PE? You don't need to go out and buy a bending jig to start (although they're very handy), as long as you have something to hold down a piece of PE and then get something slim like a blade under it to lever it up and make the bend. Even two pairs of pliers would work in a pinch.
Yeah, I've got all sorts of stuff to bend, cut, and file metal with, just not any of the really useful stuff like knowledge and experience.
Man, when my wife was a floor nurse years ago I'd find these all over the house because they came home in her scrubs so often (along with hundreds/thousands of alcohol wipes). Going to have to see if any are still around.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Finally back to 1:35 tanks with a Special Armour Panzerbefehlswagen 35(t) denazified to its original state as a LT vz.35.

This is a rebox of the CMK Pz.Kpfw.35(t) kit from the 90s (that it turns out I already built under the Revell label). There is some new PE and resin to convert the tank to a German command tank, but I didn't use any. I tried oil paint rendering for the first time and you can kind of even see the results on the engine deck. Could be something to try in the future on a tank with less complicated camo.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

A great way to cut PE is using the little scissors on the tiny Swiss army knife. I have several - can't find it, buy new one, find old one, repeat as necessary. I carry one at all times and I end up using it Every drat Day.

The little scissors are very sturdy, as well as sharp. It lets you snip the gate pretty close to the part,and if it's on a straight edge, it can cut it close enough a few swipes with a file cleans it up nicely. Also, the design let's you use one of the blades to support the piece. That way it doesn't get bent, the gate does.

The ones I'm talking about is the one that's maybe 2.5 inches closed, and has the blade, screwdriver/file, scissors, tweezer and toothpick. They're about $20, and we'll worth it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Painting and weathering of the turret is now complete and it can be mounted to the hull, and everything connected up.

One of the nice little features added in the newer turrets for these tanks are the wheel bearings. These sit on the raised ring on the edge of the space in the hull and allow for a very nice smooth gliding motion. Older versions used to just rub plastic against plastic.

Everything is hooked up and works perfectly with the exception of the headlight as I’ve not yet soldered the wires together. The smoke generator for the exhaust isn’t too great either as I need to get hold of some decent smoke fluid.

I took a slow motion video of the Tiger mounting a raised section of the floor so we can see the suspension and interleaved wheels in action.

https://i.imgur.com/DUfR2rw.mp4

I don’t have any BB bullets to hand right now so cannot test how well the cannon works yet, but I can hear the mechanism firing and the recoil works great so have no reason to assume it’s not working fine.

https://i.imgur.com/POeYUhZ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/TRoRypn.mp4

The coaxial machine gun has been replaced by an LED that lights up whenever the airsoft gun is firing. A neat little safety feature - so if you ever find yourself facing an RC tank gun with a glowing red light in the turret, close your eyes and look the other way as quick as you can.

https://i.imgur.com/Sc7Y4iC.mp4

The Tiger is for all intents and purposes fully operational. The only work left to be done is choosing and applying the decals, hooking up the headlight, and re-burnishing the tracks. The track segments mounted to the turret are much closer to how the live tracks should look. Along with any touch ups that might be needed of course.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That kicks rear end.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Those interleaved wheels in slow motion may look cool now, but wait until the Rasputitsya sets in through that hallway :colbert:

That's so rad

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Apparently RC Tigers and Panthers are terrible at driving through real snow for exactly that reason.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

stealie72 posted:

[*] Tamiya 1/48 Corsair
[/list]
All seem pretty well reviewed. Has anyone had any particularly awesome or terrible experiences with any of them?

I've built one of these. Usual Tamiya quality. I built mine wings-folded, and it's very very delicate. Which I suppose is to be expected, just be aware if you build that version.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I really want to do the 1:32 version of Tamiya's Corsair some day. Such an amazing model.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Painting and weathering of the turret is now complete and it can be mounted to the hull, and everything connected up.

One of the nice little features added in the newer turrets for these tanks are the wheel bearings. These sit on the raised ring on the edge of the space in the hull and allow for a very nice smooth gliding motion. Older versions used to just rub plastic against plastic.

Everything is hooked up and works perfectly with the exception of the headlight as I’ve not yet soldered the wires together. The smoke generator for the exhaust isn’t too great either as I need to get hold of some decent smoke fluid.

I took a slow motion video of the Tiger mounting a raised section of the floor so we can see the suspension and interleaved wheels in action.

https://i.imgur.com/DUfR2rw.mp4

I don’t have any BB bullets to hand right now so cannot test how well the cannon works yet, but I can hear the mechanism firing and the recoil works great so have no reason to assume it’s not working fine.

https://i.imgur.com/POeYUhZ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/TRoRypn.mp4

The coaxial machine gun has been replaced by an LED that lights up whenever the airsoft gun is firing. A neat little safety feature - so if you ever find yourself facing an RC tank gun with a glowing red light in the turret, close your eyes and look the other way as quick as you can.

https://i.imgur.com/Sc7Y4iC.mp4

The Tiger is for all intents and purposes fully operational. The only work left to be done is choosing and applying the decals, hooking up the headlight, and re-burnishing the tracks. The track segments mounted to the turret are much closer to how the live tracks should look. Along with any touch ups that might be needed of course.

That is rad as heck! Great job!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Not sure what this says about me but my seamless thoughts were "This is really cool and good" and "I wonder how you could make it shoot small explosives?"

Also the camera shake in the slow-mo video is a very fitting effect

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was not expecting the track to conform upwards around the drive sprocket on the turns like that.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

"I wonder how you could make it shoot small explosives?"

From a quick google search:

1. .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire, commonly known as the .17 HMR, is a rimfire rifle cartridge developed by Hornady[3] in 2002. It was developed by necking down a .22 Magnum case to take a .17 caliber (4.5 mm) projectile.
2. Modern BB guns usually have a smoothbore barrel with a 4.5 mm (0.177 in) caliber, and use steel balls that measure 4.3–4.4 mm.

Obviously the engineering and legalities would be much more complex, but ~theoretically~...... :heysexy:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Vorenus posted:

From a quick google search:

1. .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire, commonly known as the .17 HMR, is a rimfire rifle cartridge developed by Hornady[3] in 2002. It was developed by necking down a .22 Magnum case to take a .17 caliber (4.5 mm) projectile.
2. Modern BB guns usually have a smoothbore barrel with a 4.5 mm (0.177 in) caliber, and use steel balls that measure 4.3–4.4 mm.

Obviously the engineering and legalities would be much more complex, but ~theoretically~...... :heysexy:
Shooting one of those out of a remote control tank is of extremely dubious safety and legality in the US.

Shooting the other would only be preempted by local laws banning it, and would be awesome. And depending how much room you have in the turret for a firing mechanism, and room in the body for a CO2 cartridge, would potentially be doable by a skilled person in a garage.

There's also airsoft, but meh.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, it’s appreciated. I’m going to have some more fun with slow motion videos - if I can find some BBs I’ll do some of the gun firing.

No explosive BBs though, I’m in the U.K. so I’d be even more hosed than the Americans.

Regarding the track being pulled up with the sprocket - this seems to be a thing since I painted it and it’s happening less the more it gets run. Im guessing the paint has made it a bit sticky so as the paint wears off in areas with metal to metal contact this will reduce.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, it’s appreciated. I’m going to have some more fun with slow motion videos - if I can find some BBs I’ll do some of the gun firing.

This thing rules.

Assuming it's 1/16? Don't know what you're shooting on but 96fps or thereabouts and a shutter speed of around 1/200 (just double your frame rate and pick the closest) would be the sweet spot for filming.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The coaxial machine gun has been replaced by an LED that lights up whenever the airsoft gun is firing.

stealie72 posted:

There's also airsoft, but meh.
There you go. It'd be a 6mm plastic ball round.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lizard Combatant posted:

This thing rules.

Assuming it's 1/16? Don't know what you're shooting on but 96fps or thereabouts and a shutter speed of around 1/200 (just double your frame rate and pick the closest) would be the sweet spot for filming.

Cheers, yeah it’s 1/16 scale. I just use the 240 (fps?) setting on my iPhone.

Anyway I went digging in the cupboard under the stairs and managed to find what I was looking for.

Brb.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Hi all. I’m an experienced rc builder modeler and I am getting more into scale models these days and ready to do an easyish Tamiya 1/35 tank. Is there a good recommendation as a good “get your feet wet” kit that doesn’t require excessive painting?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The M41 Walker Bulldog kit is sorta that gold standard. Easy to build, more or less one color, few decals. Go back a few pages and you'll see another person's first attempt with it that turned out very nicely.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hi all. I’m an experienced rc builder modeler and I am getting more into scale models these days and ready to do an easyish Tamiya 1/35 tank. Is there a good recommendation as a good “get your feet wet” kit that doesn’t require excessive painting?

I asked this same question recently and I was told the Tamiya T55 is a good one. Also I was recommended a German WW2 tank from Tamiya but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Their Pz.Kpfw.II and Sd.Kfz.251 are dead simple, cost something like twenty bucks, and come with a set of figures so you can try your hand at those as well as a vehicle.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Gewehr 43 posted:

The M41 Walker Bulldog kit is sorta that gold standard. Easy to build, more or less one color, few decals. Go back a few pages and you'll see another person's first attempt with it that turned out very nicely.

Yeah The Walker Bulldog is not only a perfect starter kit, the tank is the tankiest tank you can think of because it was used in like every 70's and 80s movie when they needed a tank .

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So I've been on a tool shopping kick recently, and one of my pickups was a cheap pistol trigger airbrush. Kinda boring, wouldn't use it for anything other than primers, clearcoats, and other non-precision work. How is this interesting?

Years ago I bought a bottle of Bob Dively liquid mask before the local Hobbytown USA went out of business--and it is somehow still good 8 years later. Never liked using the stuff with a brush--it goes on goopy, hiding the details you want to slice around, and ruins your brushes such that even your lovely brushes lose their worth. The instructions recommend spraying, but like hell am I putting what amounts to liquid latex through any non-disposable airbrush. But this new brush looked like the perfect candidate to do something stupid with. So I swapped for the largest nozzle it has, cranked my compressor up to 40psi, and loaded it with some thinned goop to try on a test spoon.

Absolute perfection. Went on in a nice, even coat, and thin enough that I'm positive I could still see panel lines and other bits I want to slice around. No resistance to the knife either, and no snagging when I peeled up the slice with my tweezers. And it cleaned up just fine with warm water. Next step is to try it on an actual piece when it isn't 4AM and I have work in four hours, but if it works half as well as it did on the spoon, my opinion on liquid mask might do a 180.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Next step is to try it on an actual piece when it isn't 4AM and I have work in four hours,

But then would you even be scale modelling?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I had no luck with liquid masks, they're always hard to cut through and sticky enough that I end up damaging the paint anyway.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

I had no luck with liquid masks, they're always hard to cut through and sticky enough that I end up damaging the paint anyway.

I mostly only use it to seal the edges of tape masks and small things like landing lights and formation(?) lights on planes, but I've had good luck with the purple Humbrol liquid mask. Smells like poo poo, though.

I've also used the blue Micromask, but didn't like it because it is almost transparent and hard to see where you have applied it and how thick it is. This might be more my fault, but I used it on a canopy, then painted over it and let it sit for a few months while I was taking a break and found it had dried rock hard and was stuck solid to the canopy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

But then would you even be scale modelling?

I dunno I got 4 hours of sleep and I'm high on acetone.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I don't even know if they make the stuff I'm using anymore. I'm actually shocked it was still good. The mouth of the bottle was caked with a nasty, dirty plug of cured fluid, but after removing that the contents are as fresh as the day I bought it.

I'm planning to try some of the Mr. Hobby brand stuff as well. I like the idea of liquid mask, but up until now the reality of it has kept me away from it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The cool thing about liquid mask is if it solidifies in the nozzle and you're an idiot and just squeeze the bottle so hard that the whole thing explodes all over your desk if you just wait a minute for it to solidify it's easy to clean up.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Fancied a booty shot.

Just wanted to touch upon a couple more neat features of the Tiger. Both the radio operator and driver hatches open up.

The radio operator hatch conceals the power switch.

Being an older version my lower hull lacks the fixture for the volume control but I made one from some green stuff I had left over.

Both the loader and commander hatches also open up. The commander hatch contains the opening to load BBs (and has mounting screw holes for the IR battle system if you chose that over airsoft). The loader hatch has an isolator switch for the airsoft gun - which is very handy to use so you don’t forget you’ve loaded the tank and accidentally take someone’s eye out.

After locating an old box of BBs I was able to start test firing the main gun, and you can tell I play a lot of War Thunder as I have instinctively angled my tank before firing.

This is a slow mo so you can see how the recoil mechanism works.

https://i.imgur.com/U3B73Nm.mp4

This one has sound and is normal speed.

https://i.imgur.com/FwuGy5y.mp4

It’s a surprising amount of fun but not especially accurate, but given the nature of the gun it can’t be faulted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So I just got a 1/16 scale Panzer IV from Trumpeter...

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

The cool thing about liquid mask is if it solidifies in the nozzle and you're an idiot and just squeeze the bottle so hard that the whole thing explodes all over your desk if you just wait a minute for it to solidify it's easy to clean up.

I did that with a bottle of Vallejo air silver metallic. That's when I learned that the dropper tip is just press fit into the neck of the bottle. It looked like a metallic silver bomb went off in my model room.

Edit: it was not easy to clean up.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'll have to pack up my ships in a suitcase for my move. Hopefully the masts and gun barrels don't get too busted.

Here's my workstation. The Alaska will look amazing when it's finished.

By the way, how do people handle ventilation in winter? My only option is opening the windows so I've been on hiatus all this year.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

I did that with a bottle of Vallejo air silver metallic. That's when I learned that the dropper tip is just press fit into the neck of the bottle. It looked like a metallic silver bomb went off in my model room.

Edit: it was not easy to clean up.

Liquid glitter.