Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Azathoth posted:

That's a screen memory. There's no credible evidence Venus even exists, let alone can be seen with the naked eye. I regret to inform you that every time you think you have seen Venus, that you have actually been probed.

well if there is no Venus just who is on the half shell?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Mister Speaker posted:

You can see a couple of them with the naked eye if it's an extremely clear night and you know how to look around your blind spot. Similarly, you don't need that powerful a telescope to image the rings of Saturn. I can't remember the specs on the thing but a guy I know brought some scope to the park some years back and let people look through it; you could clearly see the separation between the rings and the planet body. My camera's 600mm telephoto lens, plus a little bit of digital zoom, sees the planet as a pronounced ellipsoid - not quite seeing the separation of the rings but definitely that they're there.

I think it's wild that we're still discovering new moons of Jupiter. Just a month ago they discovered 12 more, which puts the count at like 90.

All of this Venus talk has got me interested in the idea of getting a small telescope, astronomical camera and star tracker so as to take some pictures, particularly of Saturn, the coolest planet.

I also recently heard the "theory" that the "probably doesn't exist" star Nemesis is currently heading back towards us, and that the reason we're finding new moons on bodies increasingly close to Earth is that the moons weren't actually there until the past few years, they're the leading edge of Nemesis' orbiting asteroids. I don't buy into this at all, though, for many obvious reasons.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Every time in my life when I saw a very bright stationary light low in the sky at dusk it was always Venus. 100% of the times.

The "weirdest" thing I saw was one night, it was dark but only an hour or so after dusk, driving North 101 past Gilroy and there's some rolling hills on the right side. About 100 feet up (I could tell approximate location as it was so close as I drove past) there were red and green, slowly pulsating lights, not like the rapid blinking lights on the drones I usually see. It was hovering statically above a little shallow area in the side of the hill. I assume it was just a drone taking footage of the freeway at night or something, but the custom lights were weird.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

that's cool maybe instead of buying astronomy toys you could lower rent for your tenants you useless parasite

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

As someone with only a passing interest in the subject it was a really good intro to the state of modern UAP research and the kind of thing I could share with people without going down the woo :tinfoil: route that watching any kind of Youtube video on the subject inevitably leads to.

I have not watched it yet, that's interesting because Leslie Kean is full woo herself, does it touch on the idea that the phenomenon isn't just aliens? Looking at the cast involved it surely must?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wheeee posted:

that's cool maybe instead of buying astronomy toys you could lower rent for your tenants you useless parasite

He is providing a valuable service!!!

A landlord in cspam, I didn't think anything could shock me anymore

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

I think the nature of this phenomena is such that we will never get absolute confirmation

and definitely not from the US fucken' government

(although it depends what you mean by absolute confirmation - after all, you've actually seen one with your own eyes, which is a lot more than I have!)

Aliens are gonna land on the white house lawn and be all "what do you mean flying around for 80 years? we just got here!"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wheeee posted:

lmao

No, see, it's the property manager he hired who mistreats the tenants, not him.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

I have not watched it yet, that's interesting because Leslie Kean is full woo herself, does it touch on the idea that the phenomenon isn't just aliens? Looking at the cast involved it surely must?

Not when it comes to UFOs she's not, and while there's a woo argument to be made because she wrote an NDE book it's not woo in how she approaches or writes about the subject.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

Like I said I only have a passing interest in the subject and she doesn't come across as that in the series. I don't know her views but everything she talks about seems rational and well within reason, so maybe the series is being very selective in what it lets the talking heads express views on.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Not when it comes to UFOs she's not, and while there's a woo argument to be made because she wrote an NDE book it's not woo in how she approaches or writes about the subject.

I think she actually is pretty woo, or at least is outspoken about the phenomena being much, much more than nuts and bolts. She just recently did an interview with Theories of Everything in which she flat out says that if you're going to be producing informative content for the population at large, you can't start with the insane poo poo - you need to get them hooked or interested through tangibles first.

It's a great interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1fN5Gxm9fk

e:

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

so maybe the series is being very selective in what it lets the talking heads express views on.

Definitely my read as well.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

The Demilich posted:

I desire to see the nat geo series. I do not desire signing up for Hulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCNRsTf81vk&t=6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImOwibHk8so

Mr. Barnesworth has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Mar 2, 2023

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

That's a screen memory. There's no credible evidence Venus even exists, let alone can be seen with the naked eye. I regret to inform you that every time you think you have seen Venus, that you have actually been probed.

hot

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Objurium posted:

I think she actually is pretty woo, or at least is outspoken about the phenomena being much, much more than nuts and bolts. She just recently did an interview with Theories of Everything in which she flat out says that if you're going to be producing informative content for the population at large, you can't start with the insane poo poo - you need to get them hooked or interested through tangibles first.

It's a great interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1fN5Gxm9fk

+1 very worth watching. I think Jaimungal is kind of a dunce but he gets interesting people on at least.

When she starts talking about the disembodied hand showing up and stuff, well, woooooo

I want to touch the hand

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Charles Ford posted:

All of this Venus talk has got me interested in the idea of getting a small telescope, astronomical camera and star tracker so as to take some pictures, particularly of Saturn, the coolest planet.

I also recently heard the "theory" that the "probably doesn't exist" star Nemesis is currently heading back towards us, and that the reason we're finding new moons on bodies increasingly close to Earth is that the moons weren't actually there until the past few years, they're the leading edge of Nemesis' orbiting asteroids. I don't buy into this at all, though, for many obvious reasons.

The "weirdest" thing I saw was one night, it was dark but only an hour or so after dusk, driving North 101 past Gilroy and there's some rolling hills on the right side. About 100 feet up (I could tell approximate location as it was so close as I drove past) there were red and green, slowly pulsating lights, not like the rapid blinking lights on the drones I usually see. It was hovering statically above a little shallow area in the side of the hill. I assume it was just a drone taking footage of the freeway at night or something, but the custom lights were weird.

gently caress off, parasitic scum

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

The Demilich posted:

Leave it to Jove to always have more kids than previously thought.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lib and let die posted:

gently caress off, parasitic scum

lmao is this fool a landlord? That's what I'm gathering from the replies? Where's the tea?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Someone at SETI has a great sense of humor or something really cool is about to happen: (I know which one I'm rooting for)
https://twitter.com/SETIInstitute/status/1631316688804216832?s=20

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

chainchompz posted:

Someone at SETI has a great sense of humor or something really cool is about to happen: (I know which one I'm rooting for)

strange brew eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonXBiPY93s

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Holy poo poo I forgot about that movie.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Gravid Topiary posted:

reference image for the purposes of deducting planetary conjunctions from blurry videos

wow I had no idea they were doing that but I should have!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

chainchompz posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about that movie.

:colbert:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol I just learned I know someone on another forum who was on the Nimitz in 2004

Apparently he was not on watch that night but word got around about the weird poo poo they were seeing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

He might have had sex with someone who was on watch that night.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's a boat so I just presume. It would be an honor

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

PokeJoe posted:

worked with some for sure

Won't ask your question because I know his wife better than him

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hey man it's international waters, what happens happens you know

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
on very special nights, it's interstellar waters

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

even better waters to enter strange mysterious holes imo

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_57AxfDKbg

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

PokeJoe posted:

Hey man it's international waters, what happens happens you know

Help, step-bro, I'm fused to the bulkhead!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

well if there is no Venus just who is on the half shell?

turtles

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

worked with some for sure

Won't ask your question because I know his wife better than him

See if you can find out more info. There might be some info that flew around we haven't gotten in the public.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The NatGeo documentary everyone's watching, UFOs: Investigating the Unknown on Hulu, rules. I wish there was a little more skepticism presented, either as a punching bag or to provide a different viewpoint, but they're generally interviewing people who seem relatively sane and credible. The guy running that nuclear missile solo in episode 3 is cold as hell.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

chainchompz posted:

They got ransomwared and won't be able to do any work for a month?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

speaking of, i just started watching that natgeo series and

i truly would not want it any other way than for one of the vanguards of disclosure to be Commander Sex

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i am harry posted:

wow I had no idea they were doing that but I should have!

apropos of nothing if you search my posting in this thread you'll see a big post i did about a mysterious thing in the sky i took pictures of, and i said "it didnt look like a weather balloon!" and goons said "it's a weather balloon", and then i stalked off and looked more closely at pictures of weather balloons on bing.com and realized i had completely the wrong idea of what modern weather balloons looked like

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm commander sex

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Private sex second class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
personal log, supplemental: commander sex has rerouted us to planet gently caress for reasons unknown;