Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm gonna be curious about difficulty reports. I enjoyed demon, ds1 and 2, and elden but found blood, sekiro, and the bit of nioh I played too hard for an old man like me. I really enjoy the setting though so hopefully there's a way to muddle through it. The demo 2nd gorilla boss was very frustrating.

Play Co op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In a lot of ways coop may not actually be easier. Everything's got more health, and a game like this being so heavily parry focused, not having the boss attention on you at all times is probably going to be really annoying lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

So now people are actually starting to play this, what builds are they gravitating towards and enjoying? I recognise it'll be early days (well, hours) yet, but still seems worth asking.

mainly wood/metal, although i might start dipping into earth for some of its defensive benefits and for co-op later on. wood is just straightforwardly good, since it's got a lot of forgiveness built into its stats and some really solid utility spells to go along with it

Babe Magnet posted:

In a lot of ways coop may not actually be easier. Everything's got more health, and a game like this being so heavily parry focused, not having the boss attention on you at all times is probably going to be really annoying lol

earth gets an AoE taunt spell at the least, so if you get someone with high enough earth in your party then you're golden

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it'll be interesting to see how people play off each other's buffs and debuffs

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm gonna be curious about difficulty reports. I enjoyed demon, ds1 and 2, and elden but found blood, sekiro, and the bit of nioh I played too hard for an old man like me. I really enjoy the setting though so hopefully there's a way to muddle through it. The demo 2nd gorilla boss was very frustrating.

I'm both old and really blind and its okay by me based on the demo. Deflect being on your dodge does a lot to make things easier since the common newbie trap of panic dodging might still result in a deflect. I can imagine it getting bullshit hard later, but as base line, I'd say definitely easier than Sekiro.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

looking forward to it being bullshit hard imo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Really looking forward to this game, not played a team ninja offering since ninja garden 3 but its coming to gamepass at a good time for me and just really looking forward to jumping into a game totally blind for the first time in ages

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If anyone still runs in to performance issues on pc and has a 12k series or later cpu I fixed the majority of the frame timing issues by doing all these things:

updating to windows 11
disabling my e cores in the bios (lol)
limiting the fps to 1 below the in game fps cap (so 119 instead of 120)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dryzen posted:

If anyone still runs in to performance issues on pc and has a 12k series or later cpu I fixed the majority of the frame timing issues by doing all these things:

updating to windows 11
disabling my e cores in the bios (lol)
limiting the fps to 1 below the in game fps cap (so 119 instead of 120)

i've seen the bios trick suggested elsewhere so it's probably legit

wish there was a way to fix the mouselook, but the only thing i can even remotely think of is emulating analog stick movement with the mouse, which probably is not worth the hassle

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

yeah I had constant stutters with big stutters on w10 with e cores on, constant stutters on w10 with e cores off, and none of either with w11 and e cores off

the mouse deadzone is something that will hopefully get patched before anyone has to make something crazy to get around it

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The flood of "Avenged [name]" every time you kill any enemy that is stronger than a basic grunt is always funny to me. Good mechanic

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do you get your morale level back every time you go back into a boss fight where you died, or just the tutorial? If you get a new morale level before you head back in, does that replace the old one or do they stack?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Do you get your morale level back every time you go back into a boss fight where you died, or just the tutorial? If you get a new morale level before you head back in, does that replace the old one or do they stack?

raising flags throughout the level will increase your Fortitude, which is the floor that your Morale can fall to when you die. if you have 10 Fortitude, you'll never be able to drop below 10 Morale no matter how much you die

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

For regular enemies, killing the dude who killed you gets your morale back to what it was. For bosses, just entering the arena does this so you don't reenter a fight that killed you at a disadvantage.

If you grind up one higher than you lost, I think it just uses the highest number, yeah.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Glass cannon fire builds are looking fun, all offense all the time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

the loot system in nioh 1/2 and wo long is largely an optional NG+ thing if you really want to grind out for it and try to minmax, and is otherwise completely ignorable beyond keeping your weapon/armor upgraded and considering equipping any 4* loot you get

Ya I really don't understand the loot criticism, unless you want to play NG+ the loot system can be ignored, just at the end of each level equip the highest level equipment. In NG+ you can kinda get by with just having high equipment level loot as well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't unlock for another 4 hours, but went ahead and preordered because I know I'll get it eventually and the reviews seem to be 'pretty much Nioh' which is OK with me :ninja:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
this game looks very Nioh on my ps4 pro its has this like kinda jaggy edge to everything? doesnt bother me its just odd cuz the way the both games start is throwing me for a loop a little bit

game fun tho

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Doesn't unlock for another 4 hours, but went ahead and preordered because I know I'll get it eventually and the reviews seem to be 'pretty much Nioh' which is OK with me :ninja:

i preordered once i realized i'd spent 18 hours in the demo

wish they'd let me preload the goddamn thing already so i can potentially play it a bit tonight

verbal enema posted:

this game looks very Nioh on my ps4 pro its has this like kinda jaggy edge to everything? doesnt bother me its just odd cuz the way the both games start is throwing me for a loop a little bit

game fun tho

that's probably DLSS kicking in, i definitely notice some fuzziness creeping into the picture during high action moments

edit: oh sorry i missed the PS4 pro bit, it's probably just downscaled antialiasing then since i imagine the game was optimized for PS5

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 3, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vermain posted:

edit: oh sorry i missed the PS4 pro bit, it's probably just downscaled antialiasing then since i imagine the game was optimized for PS5

that makes sense

also i love the design of that one Zhang guy with the cool rear end mask

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

game fun tho

Yeah it's not going to be visually impressive, especially on a PS4, but if that's in service of keeping a consistent high framerate then fair trade IMO.

Is there a way to compare gear between what you're wearing and what you're looking at in your inventory beyond the game just showing you if the main stat is higher or lower? Or is that just the game's way of letting you know to not worry about it and just make number go up?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Diephoon posted:

Play Co op

A friend and I did coop for nioh 2 and had a lot of fun in it. (It helps that he's a lot better than me so he basically carried me in a lot of fights. :downs:) Excited to try out Wo Long!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think you can co-op until you beat the 1st boss though, who is the biggest difficulty spike.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you can always grind your way up to like, 25 morale if a boss is ever giving you grief; it's very much an emergency button to punch if something proves too insurmountable, and there's no shame in taking advantage of it if needed

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oh this is only for PC. Consoles unlock at Midnight in your time zone

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RatHat posted:

I don't think you can co-op until you beat the 1st boss though, who is the biggest difficulty spike.

It was really weird because when I fought the first boss on Steam, I nuked his second phase so fast I thought it was scripted. Then I did it again on Game Pass and he rocked my poo poo until I learned his timings. I have no idea why.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It was really weird because when I fought the first boss on Steam, I nuked his second phase so fast I thought it was scripted. Then I did it again on Game Pass and he rocked my poo poo until I learned his timings. I have no idea why.

he's an unusual boss in that you want him to use his big scary attacks as much as possible, as most of them are extremely predictable and absolutely chunk his spirit bar if you deflect them properly, so getting regular attacks can end up throwing you for a loop

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Respect to Team Ninja for deciding to include a boss that is basically just "can you beat the camera" in their version of Blighttown

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah it's not going to be visually impressive, especially on a PS4, but if that's in service of keeping a consistent high framerate then fair trade IMO.

im always 100% cool with this in any game of any year ive ever been playing games

i used to play tf2 in a 640x480 window with all graphic settings down

i got real good during that time tho

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What are the audio options? Does everyone speak in Chinese by default, despite it being a Japanese game? Because that would be neat.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Darth Walrus posted:

What are the audio options? Does everyone speak in Chinese by default, despite it being a Japanese game? Because that would be neat.

I have all the voices set to Chinese and it owns

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Ya I had English default, changed to Chinese definitely fits the mood way better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Diephoon posted:

Play Co op

But what if I hate people?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How does the game run on ps5 I might order and install on the way home.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

:same:

Pretty pumped for this

verbal enema posted:

This is the way

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 3, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Phoix posted:

Respect to Team Ninja for deciding to include a boss that is basically just "can you beat the camera" in their version of Blighttown

Every soulslike needs at least one

Also my impression from the demo was that the loot system was way more tolerable? You get more loot dumped on you from clearing a single room of enemies in Nioh or stranger of paradise than you do in an entire level of Wo Long. Unless that’s not the case in the full game?

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 3, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Every soulslike needs at least one

Also my impression from the demo was that the loot system was way more tolerable? You get more loot dumped on you from clearing a single room of enemies in Nioh or stranger of paradise than you do in an entire level of Wo Long. Unless that’s not the case in the full game?

So far the loot does seem significantly less than in the Nioh's, where every single fight littered the ground with a rarity rainbow of random gear. But it also seems to suffer from the same issue of (so far) there not being an obvious point to looking at any of the drops you do get beyond 'make big number go up' while staying in your desired weight class. Hopefully that's something they can tweak in the first few patches.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Seems like you can start playing it on PS4. For reference, I bought it from the demo page and idk if that matters. I thought it wasn't for another hour since I'm PST.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Bystander posted:

Seems like you can start playing it on PS4. For reference, I bought it from the demo page and idk if that matters. I thought it wasn't for another hour since I'm PST.

meanwhile, steam is absolutely trolling me by insisting that it is still not 12 AM on march the 3rd 2023 for reasons unknown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Stranger of Paradise’ loot system got genuinely good by the 2nd dlc if you like Diablolike loot. It adds a lot of build complexity and a puzzle aspect of how to gear up for postgame challenges. Until that point, loot is near meaningless filler. It preserves the difficulty curve of the main game while giving you an additional layer of rpg mechanics to interact with later. Based on what people say about Nioh, I assume Wo Long will be similar.