Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
next playtest I'm probably gonna make a rogue because I feel being super speedy and picking perks like smoke bomb and caltrops will basically make me impossible to catch and kill. I can just go in with picklock and grab some fancy chests and run away from other players and just loot loot loot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ikkwcY3Ws

like this guy, it looks so fun

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

That does look fun. I also want to try to play wizard well enough to become a bonkwizard. Takes a lot of good loot though, have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rteMziYdjEY

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Jay is legit; last playtest he was top wizard in kills? I think. This playtest they made it way easier to memorize spells (you don't need knowledge gear anymore) so he wasn't as high since he runs solo. He ran double Spellbook with campfire and wiped groups numerous times

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Does your offhand weapon/gear apply bonus stats even when it's not actively equipped or something? Why run double spellbook otherwise.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
He means both skills were spellbooks, no Meditation in the second slot, just campfires for spell slots.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Franks Happy Place posted:

He means both skills were spellbooks, no Meditation in the second slot, just campfires for spell slots.

Yeah sorry - this is what I meant. Micromanaging 10 spells is nuts but it definitely gives you more options with how to deal with things

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It also just gives you more ammo for one engagement before needing to find a safe moment to rest.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

IronicDongz posted:

It also just gives you more ammo for one engagement before needing to find a safe moment to rest.
Yea, this is huge because campfires are:
-slow to build
-bright, which draws attention
-place you in a vulnerable state which takes precious seconds to leave (sitting)

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
And because campfires work on the same mechanic as Meditate, ie all spell resources recharge at the same time, you are also getting more total points/second back (recharging more spells at once), meaning a shorter campfire before you have to dip out to fight will help more overall.

Ultimate thicc boi tech

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Concurred posted:

Jay is legit; last playtest he was top wizard in kills? I think. This playtest they made it way easier to memorize spells (you don't need knowledge gear anymore) so he wasn't as high since he runs solo. He ran double Spellbook with campfire and wiped groups numerous times

Any vids of him running double spellbooks?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Oh sick you're all talking about double spell memory. He just posted this new vid a handful of hours ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06xetHL5ta4

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Big mood. I've been having some fun in hunt: showdown fwiw

I got into Hunt with a couple of my DAD playmates and it is a good middle ground. Definitely a PVP shooter at heart though, despite having some melee. Brutal learning curve and the game is 5-ish years old, I don't think I would've stuck with it if I didn't have vets showing me the ropes. Incredible audio design and vibes though

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Me, everyday without Dark and Darker.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't know what it is about this game but the design is way less sweaty than other pvp games in this genre. Like it's comparable to Hunt or Tarkov or whatever but idk. Something about the short match design, the PvE elements, the close spaces and the aesthetic make it really hard to get upset when you get loving destroyed.

I think there are a couple of things that help. One, I just like fantasy, and I take it less seriously. Second, the time from clicking play to dying and clicking play again is so short; engagements happen quickly if at all and the whole thing is over in about ten minutes most matches. There's also just overall less bullshit. A ranger can snipe you and a wizard can outplay you but in both cases you can see them, they probably won't one-shot you and while you might never stand a chance against them because either you suck or your positioning is bad, you still feel like you had a chance to play against them in some capacity. In Hunt, I'll spend 2/3 of the match carefully sneaking around, searching for clues, picking over ruins, and then suddenly my head explodes from a shot from across the map and it's just my own bad luck for being spotted.

I guess the game is just less tense, and that makes me play it more. Tense games are fun but too much tension is offputting; I don't like to shotgun an intense game into an intense game, over and over.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Getting back into a match taking 1 min tops instead of 10-15 certainly helps too. You don't have time to stew in negative feelings about how you got owned by players in better gear and it's just not fair etc. The matchmaking is quick enough for you to feel "I want to try again" then you're actually trying again in like 1 min. Lightning fast queue times, fast load times, no skill based matchmaking (outside of High Roller, which isn't really skill-based, just hitting an "I'm sweaty and want to play against sweaty people" toggle) all help

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The game is going to be $30-$40 when it goes retail, if no one has seen that yet. Most of the info is released from the devs via their Discord, so if you aren't there, I would check it out. The link is in the OP (which I still need to work on now that I think about it).

The early access cost will likely only be $5-$10 though. Probably a pre-order system or something.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mendrian posted:

I don't know what it is about this game but the design is way less sweaty than other pvp games in this genre.
the game's melee system very importantly doesn't have built-in feints, easy parries or blocks, or whiff attack into bullshit animation cancels that plague games like mordhau

even if your opponent does some crazy hitbox matrix poo poo, their attack is still readable and you know they're swinging and that if they miss you have a window to go hit them and everyone at all levels of play can recognize it!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

BaconCopter posted:

Oh sick you're all talking about double spell memory. He just posted this new vid a handful of hours ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06xetHL5ta4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PZroxmHpY
good content

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
There’s a dev q&a on discord happening now, a few highlights about upcoming stuff:

* B1 will be called Ruin
* All 3 floors will be included in the next play test
* no quests yet
* early access soon after next PT
* similar monsters in B1 that we saw in B2
* eventually map enemy spawns could be randomized instead of preset
* more fun stuff for rogues/poisons(later), wizard tweaks
* new anti cheating stuff being implemented
* no Bard this PT
* plans to continually add more dungeon maps
* more environmental traps/pitfalls for players
* periodic wipes
* players could be different races, like dwarves

Appears the main focus for the next PT will be testing the new first level and seeing how they all interact with each other

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 5, 2023

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Demon Of The Fall posted:

There’s a dev q&a on discord happening now, a few highlights about upcoming stuff:

[...]

Appears the main focus for the next PT will be testing the new first level and seeing how they all interact with each other
Thanks for the heads up! I found a transcript after a little searching, with some more good info:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1LMBS8k7I9gXt_q2A9yHkmsa8iA63ttxC10tVmyTnREs

Some other highlights:

-no duos planned
-balance is not a focus right now
-no expense will be spared to combat cheating

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I could see if Dwarves or Gnomes being really really short, the game could run into a Goldeneye Oddjob problem. Having a character that becomes harder to hit due to it's lower profile.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dwarves could also be slower, which would be a pretty big handicap too, so it may balance out. I'm sure having a smaller model will come with some kind of drawback in any case.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Devs just confirmed rangers will have limited ammo going forward.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

game sucks

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:sickos:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

rangers have already managed to deal with limited ammo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7LgCZBk7tU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Giving rangers arrows they gotta carry in is a fair change imo. If other classes have limited spells they shouldn’t have unlimited ammo. Still gonna make one next pt

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Giving rangers arrows they gotta carry in is a fair change imo. If other classes have limited spells they shouldn’t have unlimited ammo. Still gonna make one next pt
Agreed, and same. It'll just mean rangers will save arrows for pvp rather than blowing them on mobs. It also opens the door for arrow type and rarity. You could have barbed, slowing, piercing, poisoned, etc arrows at various rarity levels.

A welcome change imo.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

other classes did have limited ammo. throwables are pretty important for rogue/barbarian

the previous playtests i saw almost no one using their class's ranged options. people will eventually catch on that you should be buying the 10g crossbow or w/e from the merchant at the very least.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I'm all for the change, careless infinite arrow spamming rangers and fighters are lame as hell. Combine the change with a slow arrow fletching ability where you make like 10 arrows in about the time it takes to Meditate, or maybe it's an infinite channel where you continuously make more until you cancel it. Either way the arrows produced are grey, unsellable, and can't be put into your stash. Make it exclusive to Rangers so Fighters can only carry-in and loot arrows.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
A search warrant for Ironmace has been approved.
https://n.news.naver.com/article/001/0013799020?sid=105

Reporter Kim Joo-hwan and Kwon Jun-woo = The police have launched a compulsory investigation into the domestic game maker 'Iron Mace', which is suspected of developing the game 'Dark and Darker' by taking Nexon's unreleased projects without permission.

According to the game industry on the 8th, the Gyeonggi Southern Provincial Police Agency security investigation team seized and searched the Iron Mace office in Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si the morning before and secured development-related materials. Based on the data obtained from the search and seizure the previous day, the police are known to investigate whether Mr. A and others used the data leaked from Nexon for 'Dark and Darker'.

In 2021, Nexon filed a complaint with the police against Iron Mace official A for violating the Unfair Competition Prevention and Trade Secret Protection Act (Unfair Competition Prevention Act). Nexon claims that Mr.

A leaked the data of the unreleased project 'Project P3' , which he was in charge of while working at the new development headquarters, to the outside without permission, and made 'Dark and Darker' based on this.

The Gyeonggi Southern Office, which investigated the case, forwarded the case to the Seongnam Branch of the Suwon District Prosecutor’s Office in August last year, and after reviewing it, the prosecution requested a supplementary investigation from the police and sent the case back to the Gyeonggi Southern Office in December of last year.

Project P3 is a medieval fantasy-style dungeon exploration game that Nexon introduced as its next work at an online presentation in August 2021.

According to Nexon, Mr. A, who was fired for disciplinary action, founded Iron Mace in October, about two months later. The CEO of the company was Mr. Park, who left the company after developing Project P3 with Mr. A.

Iron Mace released the 'Dark and Darker' playtest version for free on the global PC game platform 'Steam' in August of last year, and despite it being incomplete, it was popular, such as exceeding 100,000 concurrent users worldwide in this year's playtest . attracted jujuk @ yna.co.kr

When the leak controversy arose, Iron Mace denied the allegation through the official Discord channel, saying, "The stolen assets (data used for game production) or codes were not used at all to make the game."

Iron Mace will conduct the 5th test of 'Dark and Darker' next month, and then release the game as Early Access (Early Access).

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Yeah.. oof. That's probably the end of this one unless they can weasel their way out of it.

Edit: Then again, if they bought the assets from the Unreal marketplace, maybe not. That's VERY similar, though.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol this sucks

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Come the gently caress on lmao

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
No... please no.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Most of the assets used are from a commercially available Unreal asset pack, which both P3 and DaD used. There is maybe some claim for IP infringement, but it seems like there's a lot of cover for asset usage. Then again, who knows what is the truth

quote:

I want to address certain rumors that have started to circulate and reassure Dark and Darker fans that ABSOLUTELY NO stolen assets or code were used to make our game.

Our code was built from scratch. Most of our assets are purchased from the Unreal marketplace. All other assets and all game designs docs were created inhouse. This has already been audited by an outside agency. As far as we know you cannot copyright a game genre.

Regarding the lawsuit, we consider it a separate personal matter claimed on one of our team members. No lawsuit has been filed against Ironmace. Regardless, we believe in our teammate and we look forward to the resolution of their personal matter.

Building games is hard enough without all the rumors and distractions in our industry. This is why we chose to handle matters privately, in respect to our peers in our industry. We’ve reached out through our back channels and do not believe the recent rumors were intentional and believe they are likely due to a disgruntled 3rd party. For now this will be our final statement on this matter. We are ready to defend if necessary but we prefer to focus our energy on bettering our craft. We have a lot of work ahead of us for the next playtest and we’ll let our work do the talking.

Finally, we would like to thank all our fans for their kind support. You are the sole motivation to build bigger and better. As always our aim is to stay directly and openly engaged with you. Thank you for your support and we hope to see you in the dungeons soon!

e: I had also read in some places that the IronMace devs worked at Nexon; there were a number of different projects (P3, P11 (?)) that were being worked on, with P3 being a medieval fantasy dungeon crawler pvp battle royale thing. P3 got cut, and was going to be redesigned to be a modern shooter. As a result, a number of the devs wanted to continue working on P3 as it was, left and formed IronMace.

There's probably a grain of truth to Nexon's claims, and probably a healthy dose of bitter grapes over the pre-emptive success of DaD. I'm hopeful though.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Most of the assets used are from a commercially available Unreal asset pack, which both P3 and DaD used. There is maybe some claim for IP infringement, but it seems like there's a lot of cover for asset usage. Then again, who knows what is the truth

e: I had also read in some places that the IronMace devs worked at Nexon; there were a number of different projects (P3, P11 (?)) that were being worked on, with P3 being a medieval fantasy dungeon crawler pvp battle royale thing. P3 got cut, and was going to be redesigned to be a modern shooter. As a result, a number of the devs wanted to continue working on P3 as it was, left and formed IronMace.

There's probably a grain of truth to Nexon's claims, and probably a healthy dose of bitter grapes over the pre-emptive success of DaD. I'm hopeful though.

I think it’s mostly bitter grapes. They were careful in their language that there was no code or assets stolen. The images make it look much worse than it is because that’s just what all unreal games look like imo.