Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If the battle goes on for several weeks it makes sense that modifiers like surprise maneuver or poor visibility would go away after a while imo.
Yeah, but every battle goes on for several weeks currently. Honestly, if I'm waiting on a battle I care about I just crank the game up to speed 5 and the battle conditions pop up and disappear faster than I can see them while the battle rages on.

Honestly, battles take way too long currently. At least so long as there can only be one battle per front. It's pretty frustrating for thousands of Russians and Chinese to fight in Manchuria for months while other massive armies just kind of twiddle their thumbs in Mongolia waiting for them to wrap up. If you want to bring more forces to bear at once you gotta do a naval invasion.

I like most of the changes outlined in this Dev Diary, but the most fundamental issue with warfare in Victoria 3 is the wildly inconsistent pace of it based on the number of fronts you have. With the war goal stuff the most frustrating parts of giant fronts- random nonsensical advances- have been addressed, so I honestly would be able to make peace with giant fronts if they weren't so drat slow compared to multi front wars. It shouldn't double the speed of a war between Russia and China to open a front in Korea.

This seems like an issue that could be addressed though, with faster battles or more battles for really long fronts. They say in this Dev Diary that the size of the battle is actually reduced by the length of the front. And that sounds like it would make the issue worse, but if smaller battles are significantly quicker maybe it'll help? I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Proposal for an event: The Armed forces interest group splitting once both the Army and Navy are big enough. That way, one can represent that classic inter-branch rivalry that always tends to happen.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imo they should remove battles completely and fully abstract the combat model. It seems odd to me to remove the ability to move units into battle, while retaining the battle itself. Battles are unsatisfying because there is basically no player agency - you assign a general to a front, and the rest the game literally plays itself. May as well remove them and create a more involved front system with greater player interaction.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They are inherently trying to avoid 'a more involved front system with greater player interaction'. Battles existing or not existing does not do anything to change that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Agean90 posted:

i liek big arrow

i made transbikal a war goal in my war against russia, then i set transbikal as a strategic objective. a nice big arrow appeared on the screen and it was very satisfying. my army took exactly transbikal and no other land before the russians capitulated because i took and held the goal and the war was hopeless for them.

game good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

BBJoey posted:

imo they should remove battles completely and fully abstract the combat model. It seems odd to me to remove the ability to move units into battle, while retaining the battle itself. Battles are unsatisfying because there is basically no player agency - you assign a general to a front, and the rest the game literally plays itself. May as well remove them and create a more involved front system with greater player interaction.

The battles are fun and tense sometimes

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
So, as a conceptual/tech question. Why does the game grind so haaaaaard when you get big, even though that means there's less for the AI to worry about? The same amount of economic activity is taking place, even over the same area if i.e. you hit GP and immediately shank and eat the GP you were riding the customs union of. Are the calculations threaded per-tag? Is there an element I'm not thinking of?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

BBJoey posted:

Imo they should have battles, and "skirmishing".

Seeing battles where two generals duke it out is cool. (and should happen faster, and bigger fronts should allow more battles.)

But there should be a general level of skirmishing accross the front just to end it faster.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's pop fragmentation and division from migrations and education and conquests etc. Just more to calculate.

And more goods in the economy for them to consume

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Mandoric posted:

So, as a conceptual/tech question. Why does the game grind so haaaaaard when you get big, even though that means there's less for the AI to worry about? The same amount of economic activity is taking place, even over the same area if i.e. you hit GP and immediately shank and eat the GP you were riding the customs union of. Are the calculations threaded per-tag? Is there an element I'm not thinking of?

1) More PoPs not "number that multiplies PoP consumption" but actual hard number of PoPs.
2) Multi-threading, the game indeed use multi-threading to split apart tags(or markets i'm not sure which).

So as you create more PoPs and consolidate them into a single thread, the game slows down as you now have one processor doing 100x the calculations it was doing at game start.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

In my opinion multiculturalism should somehow hamper colonization and/or imperialism in general. It feels super weird as a multiculturalist Germany to colonize Africa and invade Burma for resources, especially with the "colonial exploitation" law. Perhaps a more benevolent colonial law if nothing else? Even resettlement sounds weird, although not so bad.

I mean, as far as I know all this poo poo in real life was justified by racism and white man's burden, so it feels jarring to be able to do it just as well when my society is ostensibly not racist and all cultures are accepted.

On the other hand, I do realize that multiculturalism does not mean some hippie pacifism, but I fail to see how this would work.

I guess the Mongols showed how a tolerant empire might still be ambitious and imperialist, but yeah still hard to wrap my head around how this is supposed to be believable

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Keisari posted:

In my opinion multiculturalism should somehow hamper colonization and/or imperialism in general. It feels super weird as a multiculturalist Germany to colonize Africa and invade Burma for resources, especially with the "colonial exploitation" law. Perhaps a more benevolent colonial law if nothing else? Even resettlement sounds weird, although not so bad.

I mean, as far as I know all this poo poo in real life was justified by racism and white man's burden, so it feels jarring to be able to do it just as well when my society is ostensibly not racist and all cultures are accepted.

On the other hand, I do realize that multiculturalism does not mean some hippie pacifism, but I fail to see how this would work.

I guess the Mongols showed how a tolerant empire might still be ambitious and imperialist, but yeah still hard to wrap my head around how this is supposed to be believable

"the civilizing mission", "bringing democracy to my homeland", "permanent revolution", even a sense of smugness at going back home to remind the village bully his caste is outranked by a passport with Her Maj's seal on it and his heirloom sword gets him shot dead at fifty paces with a Colt. There are slight nuances in how each mindset would consider it that you might be able to show in game mechanics, but if anything making the colonization a no vote on traditional leadership rather than a racial animus makes it easier for people--even/especially people who rejected that leadership and emigrated--to accept.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Keisari posted:

In fact the very first imperialists were the first multi-culturalists, who had the singular invention of "what if, when we win a war, instead of just taking their land, we make the people on that land join us".
Successful empires have to become multi-cultural (or create an imperial cultural but those are functionally the same thing as imperial cultures are meant to go on top of local cultures.).
If it wasn't for the taxing thing, I would make a strong arguement not accepting the natives should bar you from integrating land all together.

While racism was invented with science to justify colonialism, it also doomed the empires of the period.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 3, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

1) More PoPs not "number that multiplies PoP consumption" but actual hard number of PoPs.
2) Multi-threading, the game indeed use multi-threading to split apart tags(or markets i'm not sure which).

So as you create more PoPs and consolidate them into a single thread, the game slows down as you now have one processor doing 100x the calculations it was doing at game start.
Is there something I'm missing about why you're saying "PoP" and not just "pop"? "Pop" is short for "population", isnt it?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PoP stands for Pieces of Population

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
did nerds invent an acronym for where there once was just a term again. Pops have always been units of Pops (short for population).

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Older games called them POPs, old habits die hard.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

PoP stands for Pieces of Population

Part of Population, actually. Close enough though!

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Wiz posted:

Part of Population, actually. Close enough though!

I thought it was Proportion of Population, but same thing yeah.

But yeah, this is why. It isn't about population number, it's about number of PoPs. 10,000,000 people in one PoP is either no more taxing than 10 or only somewhat more taxing.
100 PoPs of 10 population are 100x as taxing a 1 PoP of 1,000 population.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Keisari posted:

The problem with multiculturalism in Vicky 3 is that it imposes a 21st century teleological view of liberals and conservatives onto the 19th century. The most multicultural empires of the period - Austria, Ottomans, Russia - were also the most conservative. It was often the traditional monarchy or clergy who advocated for the rights of smaller ethnic groups against the interest of nationalist liberals. The French Revolution, and French nationhood, led to the intentional destruction of French dialects. Bismarck fought the Kulturkampf. The Young Turks tried to exterminate the Armenians.

The idea that societies progress from primitive ethnostates to glorious multicultural ones is almost exactly backwards. Tightening cultural exclusion was part of the modernizing national project almost everywhere it happened.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The problem with multiculturalism in Vicky 3 is that it imposes a 21st century teleological view of liberals and conservatives onto the 19th century. The most multicultural empires of the period - Austria, Ottomans, Russia - were also the most conservative. It was often the traditional monarchy or clergy who advocated for the rights of smaller ethnic groups against the interest of nationalist liberals. The French Revolution, and French nationhood, led to the intentional destruction of French dialects. Bismarck fought the Kulturkampf. The Young Turks tried to exterminate the Armenians.

The idea that societies progress from primitive ethnostates to glorious multicultural ones is almost exactly backwards. Tightening cultural exclusion was part of the modernizing national project almost everywhere it happened.

This is indeed true.
The church is as long as they are going to have the annoying religion/culture split, absolutely a thing that should be a thing that supports multiculturalism.
And the landowners could be pretty big on that too.

Racism was a product of science.
Nationalism / the nation state a product of liberalism. (what justifies democratic rule? if not god or king.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did any countries practice multiculturalism in the vicky sense? Liberals and conservatives just had different ideas about who and how to oppress. The one-way always better progression into liberal isn't my fave thing about this game, and similarly the one communist experiment was back into russification-as-policy by 1936. And why would oppressed and genocided people buy that?

Britain, 1889: "Ireland, India, we have magnanimously decided you get to be british now. Friends?"

or e: turboliberal enlightened philosophy France trying that on Algeria and spoiler alert to how well it went down

Building a utopia is part of the fun, I get, but multiculturalism really sticks out as something that never worked and was never even attempted by vicky-era people from the classic major powers. The algerians, the irish, the cherokee, the kazakhs, it was never really equal, it was pretend enlightenment defined by a supremacist culture or set of cultures that started before and lasted after the period. Feels like adding Marxism-Leninism to EU4 if you pick the right ideas as Russia.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 3, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah arguably the Soviets tries but then see the second half of that post. I think it should be possible in game the way that you can run a decentralized anarchist republic, but should be harder to do and probably have a bit more friction (additional laws along the way, perhaps an institution or something to represent slow progress towards integration)

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I agree - if multiculturalism is intended to be a modernizing project I think it should be inseparable from devolution of powers from central governments (which should also greatly increase the strength and viability of seccession movements, rather than just being a straight authority buff/malus).

As is minority cultures are perfectly happy in a intellengsia-ruled state to be ruled over by an outside imperial majority in their own homelands, being outvoted in every election. Honestly, it would be great if you got to set cultural rights (limited by your laws) for every culture you owned a homeland of (and your laws will provide a default for immigrants/minorities outside their homelands) a la Imperator - allow the Raj to grant the 'martial tribes' rights to military service, let me play off the Slavs against the Hungarians as Austria, etc.

The ideal in my mind would be to place the player in a position where they're terrified to start reforming and granting cultural rights for fear it will tear apart their empire, while at the same time knowing that reform may be necessary to stave off open revolt.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Citizenship law kind of makes more sense, as portrayed, as "who even CAN assimilate" than "who doesn't need to assimilate". Could probably say some interesting things about the French or Americans early, or Soviets late, by starting most pops as (state/region)-ese and forcing the player to make the calls about how much of the power of a focused unitary ideological (whether bourgeois or proletarian) government they want vs. how much they want to piss off other pops by forcing assimilation into the capital's baseline vs. how much they want to piss off Parisian or Yankee or Great Russian pops by embracing broad tent politics or spreading the SoL to assuage the former, with the potential to have both get radical if you end up with unsatisfactory compromises.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Building a utopia is part of the fun, I get, but multiculturalism really sticks out as something that never worked and was never even attempted by vicky-era people from the classic major powers. The algerians, the irish, the cherokee, the kazakhs, it was never really equal, it was pretend enlightenment defined by a supremacist culture or set of cultures that started before and lasted after the period. Feels like adding Marxism-Leninism to EU4 if you pick the right ideas as Russia.

I mean, I think it should be harder, but sticking it to the major powers of the era is the best part. That definitely includes ideologically.
I'm not here to start having already won the game, I'm here to make the zulu #1 great power in my pan-african empire of "gently caress the colonizers".

Mandoric posted:

Citizenship law kind of makes more sense, as portrayed, as "who even CAN assimilate" than "who doesn't need to assimilate". Could probably say some interesting things about the French or Americans early, or Soviets late, by starting most pops as (state/region)-ese and forcing the player to make the calls about how much of the power of a focused unitary ideological (whether bourgeois or proletarian) government they want vs. how much they want to piss off other pops by forcing assimilation into the capital's baseline vs. how much they want to piss off Parisian or Yankee or Great Russian pops by embracing broad tent politics or spreading the SoL to assuage the former, with the potential to have both get radical if you end up with unsatisfactory compromises.

Yeah the fact citizenship is the ability to assimilate is a deeply ignored or "why would you assimilate" thing.
It's citizenship law for a reason, it's who you allow to be treated as a legal person.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 4, 2023

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I've been playing with Stable Diffusion and I thought it would be fun to make like a "V3 pop visualiser" app that maps pop attributes to prompt fragments and then generates a portrait image.

Some examples:

It's fun to play with the different combinations:

(opulent loyalist officers)

I don't really know what the point is but I thought people might think it was cool.

fuf fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 4, 2023

Keisari
May 24, 2011

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I mean, I think it should be harder, but sticking it to the major powers of the era is the best part. That definitely includes ideologically.
I'm not here to start having already won the game, I'm here to make the zulu #1 great power in my pan-african empire of "gently caress the colonizers".

Yeah the fact citizenship is the ability to assimilate is a deeply ignored or "why would you assimilate" thing.
It's citizenship law for a reason, it's who you allow to be treated as a legal person.

Hmm good point, so basically in the context of my German Empire, they are still pretty racist and go with a lot of white man's burden stuff when conquering and subjugating around the globe, but there's no apartheid and a minority person can be considered german, or at least quasi-german if they assimilate enough and so on. So for example, there are no "only white people can become citizens" like the US had back in the times.

Makes much more sense. On another note, I also feel awful and dirty sometimes when I play this game. :v:

This makes me wanna read some history about how Indians were treated in British Isles, as far as I know there have been British-Indians for a long time due to their imperial conquests. If there is any history on that, because history usually focuses on the lives of the elite and not the commoners.

But yeah feels like multiculturalism is there to fit with some kind of marxism-leninist or anarchist society, although iirc tolerance was not practiced as widely as it was preached even by the socialists/communists of the era. But, even if it isn't historical, I think a true multiculturalist society is plausible for the era, even if it didn't happen, and doing plausible alt history is really fun. Perhaps I'll turn my Germans communists as it will unlock in my save soon.

But imo multiculturalism should be a bit harder to pass, for example by having a "racist" ideology on almost all of the nations at the start of the game and have some sort of "last of the monarchists" style journal entry, but called "last of the racists" which after X years removes the racist tag from all the IGs. The only IG not racist at start would perhaps be the intelligentsia, ironically. Even that feels kinda weird since science was used as a racist cudgel by the imperialists but that feels like the least nonsensical option. And even they wouldn't advocate multiculturalism by default, but would be neutral and could get a tolerant leader or something that would turn it into a strong endorse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I mean my beef applies just as well to every player empire. Why's the Mahdi and the Emperor of Abysinnia and the King of Morocco and the Caliph of Sokoto and all their people cool with the Pancommunist Turboafrican kwaZulu any more than any other continent would be?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Keisari posted:

Hmm good point, so basically in the context of my German Empire, they are still pretty racist and go with a lot of white man's burden stuff when conquering and subjugating around the globe, but there's no apartheid and a minority person can be considered german, or at least quasi-german if they assimilate enough and so on. So for example, there are no "only white people can become citizens" like the US had back in the times.

This did not happen. Black people could be slaves/non-citizens, but there was no law restricting citizenship to white people.

Edit: Especially because who was culturally considered "white" was a moving target in Victorian-era America, so that would be quite the unwieldy law.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 4, 2023

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean my beef applies just as well to every player empire. Why's the Mahdi and the Emperor of Abysinnia and the King of Morocco and the Caliph of Sokoto and all their people cool with the Pancommunist Turboafrican kwaZulu any more than any other continent would be?

Because the are subjects of Abysinnia now and never took up the concept of race to begin with?

Like this is the period race is invented, and it's invented post hoc to justify the EXISTING colonial empires, so the european powers can sleep at night. It's invented to prevent extending citizenship to conquered peoples, who weren't enslaved at time of conquest explicitly(and generally one doesn't enslave entire nations).

The emperor of Abysinnia sees no reason to claim some people born before their lands became Abysinnia can't themselves become Abyssian, why would he?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Quixzlizx posted:

This did not happen. Black people could be slaves/non-citizens, but there was no law restricting citizenship to white people.

Edit: Especially because who was culturally considered "white" was a moving target in Victorian-era America, so that would be quite the unwieldy law.

Naturalization was restricted to white persons in 1790, and black people couldn't be citizens according to Dredd Scott v. Sanford. Even after the civil war IIRC only white and black people could be citizens. E.g. Chinese people could only be naturalized in 1943.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Staltran posted:

Naturalization was restricted to white persons in 1790, and black people couldn't be citizens according to Dredd Scott v. Sanford. Even after the civil war IIRC only white and black people could be citizens. E.g. Chinese people could only be naturalized in 1943.

Naturalization isn't the same as whether citizenship is possible, especially after the 14th Amendment established birthright citizenship. But I guess you could say that from Dred Scott to the 14th Amendment (1857-1868) there was case law explicitly denying citizenship based on race, although even that didn't explicitly define it as for white people only.

And Dred Scott was considered a sham decision even at the time and helped lock in the inevitability of the ACW, leading to the 14A, so it's not like it was considered totally acceptable case law at the time that aged badly.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Keisari said "only white people can become citizens", though. I wouldn't consider birthright citizenship as becoming a citizen.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's really wacky that I can be a protectorate of France and end up at war with France multiple times without it ending

tanking market access across my whole country because I started raiding french convoys

Invading Paris and forcing war reparations from someone I'm nominally subject too, geopolitical powerbottoming

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 4, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Because the are subjects of Abysinnia now and never took up the concept of race to begin with?

Like this is the period race is invented, and it's invented post hoc to justify the EXISTING colonial empires, so the european powers can sleep at night. It's invented to prevent extending citizenship to conquered peoples, who weren't enslaved at time of conquest explicitly(and generally one doesn't enslave entire nations).

The emperor of Abysinnia sees no reason to claim some people born before their lands became Abysinnia can't themselves become Abyssian, why would he?

France is vastly closer to Algiers than Abysinnia is to Sokoto, and also vastly closer in religion and culture

Somehow enacting your plan did not work in even one conquered land

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Staltran posted:

Keisari said "only white people can become citizens", though. I wouldn't consider birthright citizenship as becoming a citizen.

Birthright citizenship hard--counters ethnic/racial citizenship; they are contradictory and mutually exclusive. Which is why modern American fascists fantasize about eliminating it. You can still have racist immigration policy, but it needs to be couched in other terms, such as nationality/income/education. Which really isn't much different from modern immigration policy throughout most (all?) of the world.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Keisari posted:

But yeah feels like multiculturalism is there to fit with some kind of marxism-leninist or anarchist society, although iirc tolerance was not practiced as widely as it was preached even by the socialists/communists of the era. But, even if it isn't historical, I think a true multiculturalist society is plausible for the era, even if it didn't happen, and doing plausible alt history is really fun. Perhaps I'll turn my Germans communists as it will unlock in my save soon.

But imo multiculturalism should be a bit harder to pass, for example by having a "racist" ideology on almost all of the nations at the start of the game and have some sort of "last of the monarchists" style journal entry, but called "last of the racists" which after X years removes the racist tag from all the IGs. The only IG not racist at start would perhaps be the intelligentsia, ironically. Even that feels kinda weird since science was used as a racist cudgel by the imperialists but that feels like the least nonsensical option. And even they wouldn't advocate multiculturalism by default, but would be neutral and could get a tolerant leader or something that would turn it into a strong endorse.

I don't think Multiculturalism as presented--absolutely no pressure to assimilate, as opposed to an assimilation target that is intended to be about ideology rather than ethnicity--is necessarily compatible even with a successful M-L society.

A centralized New Soviet Man, even assuming that there are no culture-associated positions on various laws or cultures which lose relatively harder during the liquidation of the upper strata, demands full intellectual engagement with the state and thus de facto demands assimilation of language. Recognizing this and taking countermeasures increases, rather than decreasing, the number of people who need to assimilate; the historical Soviet requirement for Kazakhs or Buryats to learn Russian and adopt social customs to fit in would just be replaced by the requirement for even Russians to learn German or Esperanto or whatever got picked as part of their assimilation to Soviet (to say nothing of the fact that even Esperanto is roughly going to be a taller ask the further east one goes.)

A decentralized Policy of Nationalities doesn't impose as many demands on the average person, could almost be called de jure Multiculturalism, but in turn does create a pecking order of importance based on the material fact that there is an industrial and political center of the country and the prevalent culture there will have outsized sway. Staying out of philosophical should or would and keeping strictly to what did historically produce radicals, Edgar Allen Ho has posted to a notable degree about how raw of a deal this felt for at least a particular strata of Kazakhs, and conversely the main reason our analysis is phrased "the USSR was..." rather than "the USSR is..." is that, to put things in V3 terms, declining SoL overall and the prioritization of resources for the periphery to paper over the existing discontent produced critical levels of radicalism among Russian Bureaucrat and Petite Bourgeoisie pops and a Russian secession with liberal politics.

OTOH trying to actually simulate this gets us into the weeds of a Culture Designer, something which apart from custom Stellaris or ahistorical EU4 New World starts is simultaneously all the worst things about Paradox games and absolute catnip for the worst Paradox fans.
Maybe just have Citizenship law as "who can assimilate" and a separate axis of laws that cover identity vs. purpose as unifiers, with identity reducing radicalism for primary culture or close relatives and increasing it for others, and purpose intensifying political radicalism/loyalism and adjusting assimilation rate based closeness of opinion on laws.
This would also work roughly with the US, I think? Where Yankee and Dixie together were defined as ideological (but still also racially restricted) cultures and quite quickly ethnically cleansed the (identical-heritage) Tories, then eventually went to war over a proposed change to the slavery law that would be good for powerful IGs in Yankee-majority states and bad for powerful IGs in Dixie-majority ones.

In general, though, and especially with your mention of Intelligentsia, it does feel like the game is sorely missing the idea of dynamic positions on laws based on material IG or Profession interest. It'd be nice to see Intelligentsia pops being for Ethnostate if they were the Anglo-Yankee writers in the US and UK who expounded on race science, for Cultural Exclusion if they were Han scholars in Qing with a secure but secondary position, and for Multiculturalism if they were discriminated Ashkenazi in the Russian Empire. To the extent that Distribution of Power lives in a liminal space where it's written to be autocratic vs. democratic but also wants to say things about democratic centralism vs. spectrum of opinions, it might also be worth having clear clout leader IGs move their preferences higher up the list. And of course, that American Civil War example where Yankee Farmers in particular, and especially recently assimilated from German ones, were anti-slavery, not just on a moral basis but because enclosed farms that had to pay a wage were competing with those that didn't.

Lots of moving parts for something that's supposed to be an economic sim first and foremost, though.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

My wishlist is for china to change name/color if the dynasty is overthrown by a revolter that has no manchurian land from it (or something, you get what im getting at)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The 1.2 changelog's been posted:

quote:

Features:

Autonomous Investment: when the game rule is enabled, Pops will automatically start new private construction projects based on available funds in Investment Pool
Buildings can now have Government Shares, which will pay money (or subtract losses) directly into the treasury relative to building profits and government ownership share
The investment pool is now disabled under Command Economy. When Command Economy is enacted, all funds in the investment pool are seized for the treasury and all private construction projects are turned into government construction projects.
Added new economic law Cooperative Ownership, which requires Council Republic and now unlocks Workers' Co-ops production methods instead of Council Republic doing so directly
Strategic Objectives that can be designated by the player, encouraging Generals to capture specific states
Command Economy now makes it so all private sector buildings have only government shares, and only pay out government dividends
In-Game Music Player
Defeating a Native Uprising no longer instantly annexes them, but instead creates a Colonization Rights pact which speeds up colonization of that country for 5 years
New Lens interaction and context menu options to reset the Production Methods of a state, building, or building type to national standards
New Journal Entry, Decisions, and events pertaining to Russo-Chinese Border conflicts, the Beijing Treaty, and the Chuguchak Protocol
Complete overhaul of the Taiping Rebellion / Heavenly Kingdom event chain, including a new Journal Entry and event, a custom government form, historical characters, unique Interest Groups, new law setup, and plenty of fixes and balance changes
Markets now have a Land Trade Capacity, which allows trade routes between adjacent markets to trade a limited number of goods without needing to use convoys

Improvements:

Trade Routes now trade using market price, rather than a computed difference between pre- and post-trade prices. Trade routes now cannot be profitable unless the price is lower in the exporting market than in the importing market.
Secondary war goals added in a Diplomatic Play can now be locked in at the cost of Infamy and Maneuvers, causing them to be yielded if the target backs down
Numerous improvements to battle initiation, including picking which units should be involved and how many units each side can bring
It is no longer possible to colonize a state where another country both has a claim and maintains an interest, unless you also have a claim there
Several claims have been added to colonizable regions where other powers should not be able to start colonies, such as Hokkaido for Japan
Worldwide rebalancing of Arable Land, with land generally reduced in Europe/Asia and generally increased in the Americas
When a Native Uprising starts, they now only get conquer wargoals on states in state regions where the Native country owns land, instead of all adjacent states
We now print a list of any missing DLC or mods when attempting to load a game, but let you try to load the game anyway
Low Legitimacy is now communicated through an Alert (or an Important Action, depending on the severity)
Added a Game Rule for whether Investment Pool is autonomously used by pops or directly controlled by the country
Interest Groups are now much more likely to spread out across multiple available parties, reducing the risk of ideological incoherence within parties
Maintaining additional Convoys in excess of what is needed now provides a bonus to Trade Route Competitiveness
Unrecognized Powers now get a special Journal Entry for becoming Recognized during the Hegemon objective
Colonial Clash event now triggers considerably less aggressively
Notifications can now be dismissed in Observer mode
Naval Invasions are no longer limited to using Admirals and Generals from the same HQ, but can use Generals from any HQ with coastal access
If a front is resolved, any Generals at that front will now only automatically reassign themselves to a nearby front if it will take at most 30 days to reach it. In case of travel durations longer than that, the General will instead Stand By in their current location
Battles currently in progress no longer get manpower reinforcements from newly trained servicemen. Reinforcements will arrive once the battalions leave their current battle.
Battle Conditions now have a chance to update after having been active for several days, ensuring the tides can turn during battles
The Offense/Defense bonus enjoyed by Colonial Uprisings has been halved
You now get to choose to recruit one of 3 (instead of 2) Generals and Admirals
Certain Diplomatic Plays such as Annex Subject are no longer blocked by having too good Relations with the target
Interest Groups will no longer forget all about slavery as soon as it's abolished, but will retain their former ideals for some time
New Alert for when a country does not produce enough construction to fully utilize the money coming into its investment pool
Farmers and Shopkeepers now reinvest a small portion of their earned dividends into the Investment Pool
Only slave states can now revolt with the Confederate States of America, and only free states with the Free States of America
When the American Civil War breaks out, USA now gets claims on all states of the seceding country, and the seceding country gets a Revoke All Claims wargoal
Unincorporated states now cost less Infamy and Maneuvers to claim than incorporated ones
Reduced Fertilizer production from Intensive Grazing Ranches
The most powerful Interest Group in a party is now considered the Party Whip, letting them moderate the impact of ideological incoherence among groups that do not agree with them
GDP is now measured by subtracting the cost of input goods used in manufacturing, which is more true to life and doesn't unfairly rewards manufacturing economies over resource economies
Buildings will now raise wages only if they have considerable profits and they have employees below minimum expected Standard of Living, or if they have reasonable profits, are trying to compete for labor, and have <50% employment
Buildings will now lower wages or lay off employees if they are running a deficit and have <50% cash reserves, or if they have minimal profits and employees have a Standard of Living >33% above the minimum expected standard
Generals will now be more aggressive and consistent about pursuing war goals, even when those war goals are far away
Improved national dissolution events for China and India
Revolutionary or Seceding countries are no longer able to engage in Colonization, as this would cause orphaned colonies upon their destruction
Auto-Expand trigger conditions have been altered to ensure very expensive buildings don't block new buildings from being added
First Aid Production Method now requires Liquor and Fabric rather than Opium, while Opium is only required by Field Hospitals PM
When a country splits due to a revolution, any gold reserves or debt it has will be split between them in accordance with GDP. When one country annexes another in a revolution, gold reserves / debt will be recombined.
It is now possible to use the Take Treaty Port wargoal on a treaty port where you already own part of the state even if the holder is of higher or equal power rank
Earnings prediction when expanding buildings has been made less confusing by only displaying the earnings of the prospective level and ensuring Economy of Scale is factored in
Serfdom now reduces the amount of Infrastructure states get from their population
Junior countries in a Customs Union will now get Trade Centers for their own trade routes
Investment Pool contribution balance revisions to ensure the pool can be relevant for all countries and to not radicalize investors when they increase their investments
Command Economy now requires Autocracy or Oligarchy to enact
Postal Savings technology now increases the efficiency of Shopkeeper and Farmer investment
Council Republic now increases the Clout of the Trade Unions instead of the Political Strength of Farmers and Machinists
If the outcome of a battle would result in a tiny pocket with its own irrelevant front, it will be handed over to the winner instead, reducing the number of fronts created in wars overall
Rebalanced employment numbers, trade volume and economy of scale for Trade Routes to work better with market price trading
Added a warning for negative productivity trade routes
Improved overall profitability of Vineyards
Laissez-Faire now disallows any downsizing of private sector buildings
Unacceptable legitimacy level now slow down the enactment of laws
Righteous legitimacy level now impact enactment speed a bit less
Mass migration targets are now selected in two steps, first country then state, increasing the reliability of migration waves to the new world
Mass migration targets are now established by culture + country rather than culture only
Mass migration should now only occur from states considered homelands for that culture
Mass migration target limits based on cultural turmoil removed, replaced by a cooldown per culture + country pair from a specific country
Limited emigration to a percentage of the state's population + a percentage of unemployed Pops in the state each week
Adjusted some countries' cultural tolerance setup to encourage more new world migration
The Competitiveness of a trade route now increases the longer it's been established, making it harder for new routes to compete on limited supply
Rebalanced pop growth, including secondary factors like dangerous working conditions, to achieve stronger and more historically accurate compound pop growth
War Exhaustion from occupation now scales in a non-linear fashion against the amount of territory occupied, so that occupying just a small portion of a country now does not have much impact but fully occupying them still has a huge impact
Provinces are now selected for new battles according to more relevant parameters (e.g. distance to war goal)
Particularly severe goods shortages are now signaled to the player as Alerts rather than Important Actions
Italian and German flags now look different depending on which country formed them
Slower tech progression but with tech boosts from Journal Entries and events (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
It is now possible to take Treaty Ports from Isolationist countries and trade with their market if you hold such a port
War Exhaustion from casualties is now scaled off military size rather than population size and increases by the relative amount of battles lost by a country's side of the war
Colonizable Pacific Islands now have the Severe Malaria trait to discourage early colonization
Western Australia, New South Wales and Japan now start with Colonial Resettlement
Anarchism now requires the Cooperative Ownership economic law to be enacted, and disables all other economic laws
Interest Groups with a Slaver leader are now virtually guaranteed to join the Democrat Party while the 'Great Slavery Debate' journal entry is active
Interest Groups with an Abolitionist leader are now virtually guaranteed to join the Republican Party while the 'Great Slavery Debate' journal entry is active
Missouri Compromise now also gives additional voting power to Aristocrats and Farmers
Each level of Trade Route now generates a base number of Trade Center levels, and then one additional Trade Center per level, in order to better balance against sharper decline in per-unit profit from market price trading
"Protect Domestic Industry" tariff focus now gives a greater increase in export tariffs
"Encourage Exports" tariff focus now gives a greater increase in import tariffs
Very unhealthy characters may now die young
Industrial Barriers event has been rewritten to be more balanced and engaging
Music track now resets when exiting the game to the Main Menu
Command Economy no longer enforces mandatory subsidies, since deficits are covered by the treasury due to government shares anyway
Buildings will no longer raise wages to attract new employees if no qualifying employees exist
Increased radicals from being below minimum Standard of Living (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Poor pops are now more politically engaged at high literacy (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
It is now possible to use "Revoke Claim" war goal to revoke claims that are not on your own states, e.g. colonial claims
Workers in unincorporated states are now generally paid lower wages, especially if they are discriminated and/or you have the 'Colonial Exploitation' law
Decentralized Nations no longer have Serfdom law active by default
Console command "tweak debugworldpopulation" can now be used to log many interesting annual global statistics as .csv and Elasticsearch data
Agrarianism now allows whaling, fishing, logging and rubber plantations to be funded by the investment pool when using Directly Controlled Investment game rule
All workforce pops in Worker Co-ops now have an equal ownership share
Defeating the Shogunate in a Civil War will now complete the Meiji Restoration
Trade Routes will now always increase their size so long as they can maintain at least £10 productivity, and always decrease their size if they are unable to maintain at least £3 productivity
Markets are now considered adjacent if they have any land adjacency, not just if their capital areas are adjacent
Improved balance for Political Movement start chances
High and Very High taxation levels now slightly reduce the Pop attraction of the Interest Groups in power
Revolutionary uprisings now select their participating states with more precision
Changed completion conditions for the Declare Interest tutorial to lower the barrier for low-Prestige countries
Conscript troops and standing armies now have the same statistics when the same Production Methods are active
Whaling Stations now have a Simple Whaling Production Method that produces mostly Meat
Whaling Stations and Fishing Wharves now have Ownership Production Methods that are better aligned with other Resource industries
Arms Industries and Munition Plants now have Automation Production Methods
Indus Valley and Good Soil state traits now also include bonuses for Plantations
USA gets a claim on Texas from Manifest Destiny (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Construction Industries now have increased Laborer mortality (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Arc Welded Construction is now less efficient (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Rebalanced Radical gain in Subsistence buildings due to Expected Standard of Living
It is now much rarer to get an Obligation from Bankrolling a country
Russia now starts with Propertied Women law instead of Legal Guardianship
Party leader Popularity now has a much lower impact on Election Momentum
Decision to convert Japan to Shintoism now requires a less restrictive Church & State Law, and when taken, will instantly convert 40% of pops in the capital + 20% of all Japanese pops nationwide
Road Maintenance Decree now provides a boost to "Infrastructure from Population" instead of flat Infrastructure
Pops will no longer mass migrate away from a state to such an extent that it completely empties out all non-slave pops
Increased casualties generated by Offense/Defense compared to manpower
Reduced the throughput penalty Decentralized Nations are subjected to from 30% to 10%
If slavery is abolished and a civil war is then launched to restore it, the pro-slavery rebels will now re-enslave discriminated laborers working in agricultural buildings in former slave states instead of just accepting de facto abolition
Rebalanced start conditions to ensure several countries no longer start with negative weekly income
Subsistence buildings can now have the Government Run Production Method
Andrew Jackson now starts the game with Slaver ideology
Britain now starts the game with more agriculture and textile industries
Russia now starts the game with even more agriculture in Ukraine
Calling in a country to a Play by using an Obligation now costs 10 Maneuvers instead of 20
Rebalanced number of provinces conquered in battles
USA event option that annexes the Indian Territory will no longer be selected by the AI if the Indian Territory is controlled by a human player
The Suez and Panama Canal surveys now take less time to complete
All releaseable countries (e.g. Sudan, Inca) are now centralized
Transcaucasia is now a recognized rather than unrecognized nation
Ottomans now start with Line Infantry tech and some barracks with it active (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Ottomans now start with a longer truce with Egypt (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Tanzimat: Army Reform no longer requires expanding the army to 250 units, only 150 (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Germany & Italy now get a bunch of claims on unowned states when formed (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Heavenly Kingdom event will now trigger at Standard of Living <10 instead of <7 (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Bolivian event option that annexes Peru will no longer be selected by the AI if Peru is controlled by a human player
Improve Rank tutorial is now adapted to not auto-complete for Unrecognized countries
Tanzimat: Literacy requirement reduced from 35% to 20%
Very small pops that would otherwise be merged into larger pops will now remain intact if they are likely to have recently arrived to their state via migration
Western Australia now has a Claim on New Zealand instead of on New South Wales
Clicking on either the Unhealthy Economy or Stockpiling Gold Important Actions will now open the Budget panel
FMOD audio middleware updated to 2.02.03
Lower effect of Standard of Living on Qing for opium obsession, and higher for having lost opium wars (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Reformed Mughal is now Muslim (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
India doesn't get any Iranian cultures as primary (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Britain now starts with additional Declared Interests
"Visitors from Colonies" event now has a longer cooldown before it can reoccur
Colonization of a claimed state will not be blocked if the country with the claim can't reach the state
English: fixed a broken reference to concept_subsidizing in Trade Route tooltip
No more Scottish people in India at game start (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
British Gambia now starts with a Port, ensuring it's not isolated from the British market

AI:

AI will now never remove the last level of port in a state
AI will now refrain from constructing more ports than it could support financially
AI "Bravery" is now renamed to "Recklessness"
AI will now better balance its forces between defending home HQs and sending troops to overseas fronts
Technologies now have scripted AI weights to fine-tune the AI's decision making when selecting new research
High Recklessness will now cause the AI to overestimate its military strength in Diplomatic Plays, thereby increasing Confidence
AI is better at responding to political movements (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
AI is now less likely to back down in diplomatic plays where there are numerous primary demands arrayed against them, especially if they will be annexed on backing down
Tweaked unification AI strategies to make the AI better at using the journal entry systems to absorb minor countries
AI will no longer downsize government buildings while in a civil war
AI will now hire enough Generals to effectively garrison their HQs (e.g. to repel naval invasions)
Ensured wars between AI countries do not stall due to neither side ordering their generals to advance
AI is more keen to do reforms to avoid civil war, especially if a subject (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
AI now values institution spending higher and in accordance with its Strategies
Improved AI's ability to manage Infrastructure levels across their market
Improved AI's ability to reform its government to maintain reasonable Legitimacy levels
AI will now handle their Generals better, ensuring they are assigned to advance or defend fronts as is appropriate
Adding more primary demands now increases sympathy for opposing side
AI now sets tariff policies on goods according to their interests
AI should no longer offer or accept a white peace when the odds are overwhelmingly in their favor
AI now values the war goal of revoking Treaty Ports more consistently in Diplomatic Plays
AI no longer gets stuck in a spiral of low infrastructure due to underemployed railways
AI is now better at prioritizing construction and usage of Logging Camps
AI will not try to form Germany/Italy until they have nationalism (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
AI, including the Autonomous Investment AI, now correctly assesses the effects of Economy of Scale when determining where to expand a building
Countries will now tend to maintain Generals on stand-by in important coastal HQs to protect from naval invasions
A revolutionary country that has already won the revolution will now be willing to make a white peace with remaining countries in the war
AI is now less likely to take sides in diplomatic plays without a good reason to do so
Fixed a bug that was causing DIPLO_PLAY_BOLDNESS_WEAK_ARMY_FACTOR not to be included in the calculations, AI should now be more likely to back down and less likely to intervene in plays if their own army is very weak
Reduced the overall aggression levels of the AI, as it was overtuned to compensate for (now fixed) bugs listed below
AI is now more aggressive against ideological enemies, and a bit less aggressive against ideological allies
AI is now generally better at constructing peace deals that might end up ceding wargoals to both sides
AI now has an improved understanding of which wargoals are more important than others to press and not have pressed on themselves
AI is now less random about who it has sympathy for in a Diplomatic Play, and more inclined to support allies and subjects
Fixes a bug where AI was miscalculating countries that are likely to declare neutrality as potential enemies, causing it to be far too passive with starting plays in regions with a lot of interests
AI is now less inclined to overbuild railroads in states that have free infrastructure
Fixed a bug where AI Generals were getting stuck on fronts
AI should no longer get into a state where it constantly moves generals back and forth between fronts
AI is now better at understanding how lucrative Gold Mines are
The AI must now wait for a cooldown period before resending an offer the player rejected
Fixed a bug that caused AI peace desire from military strength to be reversed
Fixed reversed check in achievable wargoals that was causing a country that was winning to peace out too early
Fixed a bug where the AI did not understand that potential allies may not be able to join them due to truces and launched potentially suicidal plays as a result
Fixed a bug where allies of the initiator could sometimes ignore truces with the target
AI now looks at the relative power of the two sides' militaries when deciding how much it wants to make peace
AI will now never abandon allies and subjects in diplomatic plays where they're not actually at risk due to very weak enemies, etc
AI should now understand Construction Efficiency maluses better and use this knowledge while queueing new constructions
AI is now much more interested in using Automation methods, particularly when the cost of the needed goods is low
AI should now be unwilling to invest in ports if it already has a lot of free convoys and the port wouldn't connect any new states to its market
Fixed an inconsistency in AI memories where sometimes it was tracking time by days and other times months
Fixed an issue where Generals standing by in non-home HQs were considered to be garrisoning their home HQ
AI now completes expeditions more regularly
AI now places higher importance on conquering land-adjacent states
AI is now more aggressive against Council Republics if they are themselves not a Council Republic
AI is now more aggressive against countries with radical economic laws (Worker’s Co-ops and Command Economy) if they themselves do not have a radical economic law
AI values obligations from irrelevant countries less (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Russia is better at expanding in Central Asia (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
AI should now be better at establishing Electrics Industries in the mid-game
AI may now choose event option with AI weight 0 as a fallback if all other options are disabled due to failed trigger
AI is now less willing to agree to peace if there are wargoals their side is likely to achieve through capitulation that aren't part of the peace
Increase AI's tendency to be neutral in native uprisings
"Powerful Protectors" diplomatic approval malus is no longer applied when the powerful protector is the country making the offer
USA is now much more keen to map the western frontier (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Italian minors are more aggressive about pursuing unification (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
AI will no longer demand Treaty Ports or Open Market war goals from countries in their own market
AI will no longer demand an Open Market if they already have or are demanding a Treaty Port of the country in the same Play
AI now considers plentiful gold reserves to be less important for deciding when to peace out
Fixed a bug that made the AI reluctant to side against secessions due to risk of spreading when they should actually be reluctant to side with them
European Powers will not take full states in China while Fragile Unity is active unless another European Power has already done so (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
British India will not rebel, to avoid being shattered (from "Open Beta Tweaks" mod by One Proud Bavarian and Doodlez)
Increased Britain's recklessness in the Opium Wars a bit

Interface:

Complete overhaul of the Trade Routes panel, adding several different views and options to filter, sort, and manage them
Message Settings control panel can now be used to customize the behavior of notification types, including pausing the game in single player
Rebindable hotkeys
Individual notification types can now be toggled to automatically pause the game in singleplayer
The Population panel now breaks down Pop Consumption and Taxes by strata
Loyalists and Radicals tooltips now reports which Professions and Interest Groups they can be found in
Convoy balance is now prominently displayed in the top bar (for countries with a coastline)
Certain mapmodes now switch with a (configurable) fading animation rather than instantly
New layout for map interaction panel with minimal buttonification, permitted easier tooltipping and navigation in each entry
New, better performing construction UI element below the time controls to distinguish private from government construction
Journal Entry panel can now display its progress as a progress bar, and display all conditional triggers (success/fail/timeout) as well as the effects that would happen
There is now an Important Action for when a Decision is available for you to take
Map Interaction List layout has been changed to improve tooltip usability
Literacy map mode
Infamy map mode
Global population map mode
Goods in specific markets can now be pinned and tracked in the Outliner
Lens bar icons will now take up the entire width of the screen depending on resolution, rather than always 15 per row
All characters, not just Generals and Admirals, can now be pinned to the Outliner
Production Methods now display a short summary of what they do without having to read the tooltip (inspired by the Visual Methods mod by FUN)
Morale for each side is now displayed on the Battle list item in the Front panel
A more compact variant of the Front map marker is now shown if a side doesn't have any troops there
Diplomatic Action map interaction list now shows a column for "Will Accept" / "Will Accept with Obligation". Inspired by "Deal or No Deal? Diplomatic UI Expanded" mod by Luk_Zloty
Numerous improvements to notifications such as price reports, mobilization, and declared interests to reduce notification spam
Shortcut Ctrl+B now pauses/unpauses the construction queue
It is now possible to see a tooltip breakdown of a side in a battle ended up with the number of initial units they did
C is now a shortcut for the "Confirm" action, such as default event options
Notification Feed items now animate properly and remember their states
Heatmap colors and values have been updated to make them easier to read, especially in states with low concentrations of something (Inspired by "Practical Heatmaps" mod by Ronin Szaky)
State images now include animated visual effects
Control buttons for Main Menu, Vickypedia, Message Settings, and Music Player in the top right corner now have tooltips
Diplomatic Action tooltips now list correct values for any potential income transfers involved in the pact
Institution tooltips now display their actual, scaled effect due to the investment level, not just the per-level values
Buildings under construction are now excluded from Productivity comparisons
The Expand Building map interaction list now display the amount of available Peasants and Unemployed in the state
The 4 most consumed goods are now displayed in Pop Lists (Inspired by "Visible Pop Needs" mod by Apprehensive-Tank213)
Interest Group panel and tooltip now displays their number of Loyalists and Radicals
The Pop's number of Loyalists and Radicals are now displayed in Pop Lists
Details on the Investment Pool is now displayed in the Buildings / Construction tab
The "Map List" is now referred to as "Ledger", and includes a mapmode dropdown
Expand Building map list panel now includes information on state Infrastructure and Labor
Total Pop Size is now displayed on the Overview tab as well as the Economy tab in the Pop panel
Ongoing Naval Battles are now accessible through the War panel
Conscript troops are now illustrated by an image suitable for their Production Methods
When starting a Naval Invasion, the number of Battalions and current Mobilization level is now displayed for each General
The meter on the Battle panel will now more reliably track the progression and predict the outcome of a battle
Currently unavailable Diplomatic Plays are now shown on the country panel in a special section, making it easier to determine why they're unavailable
Expand Building map list panel now display Taxation Capacity instead of Productivity when building Government Administrations
Convoys tooltip now turns into a paged list after 10 items instead of potentially expanding to fill the whole screen
Interest Groups will now show their Approval when pinned to the Outliner
The names of Battle Conditions are now displayed alongside their icons
Clicking the High Tensions alert will now open the Diplomacy interface instead of doing nothing
Total population per strata is now shown on the Population panel and Standard of Living tooltip
Literacy is now tracked over time and can be displayed in a chart
The effects of Turmoil on Construction Efficiency is now more clearly signaled in the Construction Queue
Front panel header now provides a navigational link to its Diplomatic Play even if it has not yet become a War
Attempting to form a low Legitimacy government now produces a warning confirmation box
Demoralized Manpower is now displayed on the Battle panel
Standard of Living Factors tooltip now includes impact from Pop Consumption
Added the Show More button to see the full breakdown of chart legends on the State Population tab as well
Improved explanation for why a state's Market Access is suffering
Improved Bureaucracy Usage tooltip on State and Pop levels
Notification rebalancing to decrease the frequency of the worst offenders
Tooltipping the "Tariffs Paid" value now produces a proper nested tooltip rather than an unlocalized string
The endgame screen is now clearer about the fact that it's possible to continue playing past the end-date
Goods Consumption factors are now added to the reasons for Radicals/Loyalists tooltip
"Involved in conflict" map mode is now switched to be the default only once you have taken a side in a Diplomatic Play
Pop Needs tooltip is now more readable
Generals and Admirals are now more open about which HQ they belong to
Battle tooltips now include Manpower metrics as well as Battalion/Flotilla numbers
The Journal Entry and Player Objectives outliner widgets are now more compact
The Convoy Cost tooltip on the Trade Route item now produces explanatory information when it is zero
Very long player names will now elide properly with a trailing ellipsis in the outliner
Goods tooltip "Go To Details" button will now navigate to the relevant detail panel depending on if a state/market context exist or not
New game concepts for the terms "Popup", "Feed", and "Toast"
Stray newlines are now omitted from Production Method tooltips

Performance:

Overhaul of Construction Queue related code to optimize performance and improve Autonomous Investments
Optimized country trends to reduce memory usage
Optimized Pop Need caches to reduce memory usage
Optimization of Trade Route map interaction code to eliminate lag spikes
Reworked the Outliner Construction Queue to be considerably faster when many buildings construct at once
Optimized building map markers when constructing buildings in a state with a lot of Turmoil
Optimizations to pollution VFX particle counts
Improved performance when adding new buildings to the bottom of a very large construction queue
Increased the cutoff for what qualifies as a very small pop that should be merged into larger pops for performance reasons

Art:

Building Power Plants now cause a representative building model to appear in city hubs
Whaling Stations now have unique Production Method icons
Smoke plumes produced during and after battles have been visually enhanced
The presence of a Mass Migration Target in a state will now increase the number of Horse & Carriages on the roads
Revised table shader for improved lighting, tweaked transition between table and background
Flamethrower VFX is now improved when observing from different camera angles

Korean: Fixed placeholder text in Downsize Building tooltip
Chinese: Ensures tooltip for Interest Group Pop Attraction works even when a different delimiter than colon is used
Polish: typo that caused an unlocalized string to appear is now fixed in REVOLUTIONS_PROGRESS_TOOLTIP
Polish: concept_budget_construction_goods no longer generates errors
Fixed a reference to unlocalized key concept_promoting in the Interest Group tutorial
Fixed a reference to unlocalized key sepoy_mutiny for the war between East India Company and Hindustan
English: fixed a typo in DIPLOMATIC_ACCEPTANCE_NO_CUSTOMS_UNION
Polish: Fixed a missing space in the date string between the weekday and the month

Modding:

New UI function MakeScope available for all UI types with a corresponding scope type, letting modders add scripted GUIs, access saved variables and modifiers in UI script, etc
Journal Entries can now define scripted buttons with custom triggers and effects
Diplomatic Plays can now be scripted with unique Relations requirements rather than being contingent on the same define
New effect set_ruling_party added
AI Strategies now have improved script comment documentation
References to unlocalized text in GUI script will now throw errors
Building group inheritance has been reworked to ensure overridden settings will always supercede default ones across the hierarchy
There is now a "governments" history step after Interest Group/Party setup but before elections that can be used to more precise political setups
New on-actions: on_secession_start and on_secession_end
Console command "investment_pool" will add money to investment pool
was_formed_from = TAG trigger added to check which country definition a new country was originally
New flag definition for a potential USA formed by Michigan
New script effect set_available_for_autonomous_investment to allow/disallow autonomous investment for certain building types in particular states
Diplomatic Plays can now be scripted with settings on whether starting wargoals should generate Infamy
Added new defines for fine-tuning of casualties caused by manpower vs casualties caused by Offense/Defense
remove_war_goal effect is now allowed to remove the last wargoal from a diplomatic play or war

Major Bugfixes:

Tariffs are no longer collected for routes between countries with Trade Agreement pacts
Fixed an issue where re-mobilization of battalions involved in a naval invasion could cause multiple simultaneous landing battles
Countries that cease to exist for unrelated reasons will now be properly removed from wars, ensuring the war will conclude eventually
Characters now perish from natural causes at a more natural pace
Fixed crash that occasionally happened while removing manpower from combat units (CCombatUnit::RemoveManpower)
Countries can now start Diplomatic Plays to Transfer Subject even if their Relations with the subject (rather than the overlord) is too good
Fixed an Out-Of-Sync error in multiplayer related to elections
Fixes an issue where Britain taking a Treaty Port in Great Qing would not properly end the Opium War
States which border each other only by provinces considered Impassable will no longer be treated as adjacent
It is no longer possible to queue up multiple levels of a Canal, Skyscraper, or other single-level building while there is a level already in the queue
Fixed a bug that caused generals to stand by in some cases rather than assign themselves to the new front after having won a naval invasion landing battle
Fixed an Out-Of-Sync error in multiplayer related to Diplomatic Plays
Sway interface will no longer pretend the AI will accept an offer they wouldn't when there is another offer they would
Winning a battle on an ally's front should no longer result in only capturing a single province
Fixed a bug that allowed players to start a Unification Play for a country that had already been formed
Fixed a bug that caused wargoals to not invalidate despite their holder or target no longer existing, resulting in wars continuing with no wargoals
Fixed a bug where if slavery had already been abolished/expanded before the revolution meter hits 100%, the American Civil War would fail to trigger or revolt with the wrong configuration of states
Fixed a bug that caused Generals to go home and Stand By when a front is destroyed but a new one created in the exact same place
Become Protectorate proposals will now work even when one party is a junior in a Customs Union, and will supersede that pact
The game now pauses correctly on the end date even in multiplayer
Fix out-of-bounds charts after switching countries
Fix out-of-bounds charts when viewing other countries
Fix map graphics and name flickering when the Culture map mode is activated
Countries with Slave Trade will now stop importing slaves if there are no available jobs for them to fill
The last Interest Group in government will now never spontaneously leave it under any circumstances
Enacting an Opium Ban as Great Qing no longer removes buildings other than Opium Plantation from the build queue
Highly developed states no longer display GDP incorrectly or with negative values
Overseas battalions with reduced Supply can no longer regain Morale in excess of that Supply score
Countries currently involved in an Independence War will no longer be annexed due to a (minor) Unification
The American Civil War will no longer end with the Union in a never-ending revolutionary state in case of a CSA win
Fixed several hundred land provinces incorrectly marked with Ocean terrain
Mobilized troops now properly demobilize when abandoning a side in a Diplomatic Play by setting your stance back to Neutral
A new ruler assigned via Election will now apply their Traits' country modifiers immediately upon taking office
Fixed a crash related to CPdxDynamicTypeArray
Fixed a crash that could happen when establishing a new trade route immediately after game start
Secessionist radical pops will now properly deradicalize once they have seceded
Fixed a bug that caused GUI elements in a certain part of the screen to become unclickable / unresponsive after one party had backed down from a Play
It is no longer possible to sway members of Customs Unions with the promise of "independence" from it
Fixed a crash related to CPdxRobinHoodTable
The East India Company is now annexed upon its formation of India rather than continuing to exist on the map
Fixed an Out-Of-Sync error in multiplayer related to queueing a new building as a client hotjoins
It should now be possible to gain Achievements available only to particular countries even after having won as a revolution in that country
China now causes Diplomatic Incidents in the home regions of all Christian Great Powers as part of the Heavenly Kingdom event chain, rather than the other way around (all Christian Great Powers causing Diplomatic Incidents in China)
Annexing a country through unification (e.g. the Hudson Bay Company or Columbia District) will now inherit their claims
Overlords that form new nations will now always take any Homelands of the new nation from their Subjects in the process
Make Puppet Diplomatic Play can no longer be used on an independent Major Power or higher
Fixed a bug where the Discrimination modifier to Political Strength was not properly applied in some cases
Buildings panel interface should no longer be a source of crashes