Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Who is the philosophy guy that said babies aren't humans, I wonder if they think crows are humans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

credburn posted:

I am thinking of getting a cat but I need to make sure I'm prepared to dedicate the next fourteenish years to servitude.

You should adopt a senior (age 7 and up) cat! They are much less likely to get adopted than kittens, but just as excellent.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Guinea pigs are the best pets.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

There was some complete waste of human life on these very forums who claimed that animals were little automatons no different than furniture or rocks

I still think about that line and wonder if that guy has worn human skin yet or if they'll just keep abusing animals to get a boner

My cat either got extremely angry with me yesterday because we moved to a new apartment without consulting him first and he did not enjoy being put in the cat carrier and carried down the hall one bit, and then forgave me overnight but only mostly

OR

He suffered a malfunction due to his position tracker being slow to update and has since resumed normal service with a few code glitches.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
The belief that animals are unfeeling biomechanical machines is shockingly common even among biologists and animal researchers. I attended a talk by a corvid researcher who was discussing crow behavior. During the Q & A someone brought up that viral video of a crow sledding down a rooftop on a bottlecap, carrying the cap back to the top and sliding down again, over and over, and asked if crows can have fun. Dude was like, nah, birds don't experience fun or pleasure in any way and this was just some sort of deadly serious environmental exploration to determine the threat level of a bottlecap and I was like wtf dude that bird is having a blast what are you even talking about. He did admit that his research partner would disagree with him on that so they aren't all morons I guess

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think that's just denial on account of those people tending to take alive animals apart for a living

Anyone else with that belief is a strong combination of sociopathic and stupid, with the stupid part winning out most days

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Mar 1, 2023

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
My new dog is a clingy baby and loves me and loves ham.

Therefore Crows probably do too!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
gently caress ants, though.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think that's just denial on account of those people tending to take alive animals apart for a living

What do you think biologists do?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Imagine being a corvid denier in 2023

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Decrepus posted:

Well they certainly know something about bottlecaps we don't :tinfoil:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Atticus_1354 posted:

What do you think biologists do?

They disassemble animals like cars in a chop shop, selling to the universities who are starved for animal cadavers to use in their frightful experiments

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The belief that animals are unfeeling biomechanical machines is shockingly common even among biologists and animal researchers. I attended a talk by a corvid researcher who was discussing crow behavior. During the Q & A someone brought up that viral video of a crow sledding down a rooftop on a bottlecap, carrying the cap back to the top and sliding down again, over and over, and asked if crows can have fun. Dude was like, nah, birds don't experience fun or pleasure in any way and this was just some sort of deadly serious environmental exploration to determine the threat level of a bottlecap and I was like wtf dude that bird is having a blast what are you even talking about. He did admit that his research partner would disagree with him on that so they aren't all morons I guess

Imo animal cognition is extremely gatekeepy, so it's extremely fun when poo poo like that gets found out and people have to redraw a bunch of boundries.

This happened a lot and in rapid succession after the whole finding out that other animals use tools thing.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Manager Hoyden posted:

Anyone else with that belief is a strong combination of sociopathic and stupid, with the stupid part winning out most days

You're not wrong- you really do have to turn the empathetic part of your brain off (temporarily) otherwise that kind work fucks you up. I did necropsies for rabies testing for a good while and you just tell yourself it is and always was an unthinking pile of flesh

Much like everyone in this thread

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Telsa Cola posted:

Imo animal cognition is extremely gatekeepy, so it's extremely fun when poo poo like that gets found out and people have to redraw a bunch of boundries.

This happened a lot and in rapid succession after the whole finding out that other animals use tools thing.

I think classical scientific training really hammers people to avoid anthropomorphizing their subjects, which is important, but I think it often gets interpreted as "only humans are capable of emotions and feeling things". Any pet owner can tell you that's bullshit. Animals aren't humans and they feel things in their own way, but they definitely have a range of emotions and sentience. I also think there is a tendency for the scientific disciplines to think that all behavior can be boiled down to natural selection and everything an animal does must be explained as a survival strategy. There's a really good book that discusses this, at least in regard to mate selection, called The Evolution of Beauty. The author argues that aesthetic mate choice is a better explanation for the proliferation of colorful markings, extravagent adornments, and complicated mating rituals than straight natural selection but that this theory is largely not accepted in the scientific community because it implies agency in animals, and in particular agency in female animals. It seems like a big ol duh for anyone that's ever seen a peacock but apparently a lot of scientists still think that having a giant, unwieldy tail made of colorful iridescent feathers just demonstrates that bird stronk and not that bird sexy

Anyway, sorry for continuing derail about animal feelings. My animal related phuo is that canada geese are awesome and people who whine about them are literal toddlers. Oh no a bird one tenth my size honked at me, better go cry in my car for an hour

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Scientists are all idiots bitches

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Not for nothing but I work on academia and hard science faculty are some of the dumbest motherfuckers alive outside their extremely specific disciplines. Like "how do you not drown in the bathtub" dumb

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i have only just 45 minutes ago first heard of Ron Swanson and i think he's the best American tv show character i've seen in a long long time

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not for nothing but I work on academia and hard science faculty are some of the dumbest motherfuckers alive outside their extremely specific disciplines. Like "how do you not drown in the bathtub" dumb

I know MDs who think HIV was manufactured by the US and then shipped to Africa and San Francisco

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I know MDs who think HIV was manufactured by the US and then shipped to Africa and San Francisco

So some of them are on the ball.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know this isn't how it works but sometimes I think that all the info you need to be a doctor overwrites the common sense sector of the brain.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The smarter you are in one thing the dumber you get in everything else.

Case in point: Dr Oz is perhaps the single greatest cardiac surgeon in the entire world. Easily one of the dumbest mother fuckers alive.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I'm in civil engineering, have a masters and work in an office filled with people with advanced degrees that are responsible for making sure bridges dont fall over and half the people in my office literally believe dowsing is real

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aramek posted:

The smarter you are in one thing the dumber you get in everything else.

Case in point: Dr Oz is perhaps the single greatest cardiac surgeon in the entire world. Easily one of the dumbest mother fuckers alive.

I think the problem is that we think of experts as having a generalized level of high intellect. That because they're experts they're just overall smarter than the rest of us rather than just having a very specialized set of knowledge and skills.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

My animal related phuo is that canada geese are awesome and people who whine about them are literal toddlers. Oh no a bird one tenth my size honked at me, better go cry in my car for an hour
I think the issue, for most people, is that although they know that, if push came to shove, they could easily defeat the goose in hand to hand combat: they don't want to. If a goose attacks you, you are at an extreme disadvantage because you will do everything in your power to avoid harming the goose, while the goose will have exactly the opposite intent.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Say what you will about twitter, but the reaction to the teaser for Meghan Trainer's new single really shows what's so good about it. There can be good vicious professional reviews of bad art. But when something like this drops, there are so many jokes and insults that can be made about it, you really need the whole mass of Twitter, thousands of people all at once and from different angles saying "this sucks". You can't get that anywhere else

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

I think the issue, for most people, is that although they know that, if push came to shove, they could easily defeat the goose in hand to hand combat: they don't want to. If a goose attacks you, you are at an extreme disadvantage because you will do everything in your power to avoid harming the goose, while the goose will have exactly the opposite intent.

Plus, unless I'm doing some sick ultra instinct poo poo the goose is probably going to draw at least some blood and tbh I'd just rather not have that in my day if I can avoid it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Say what you will about twitter, but the reaction to the teaser for Meghan Trainer's new single really shows what's so good about it. There can be good vicious professional reviews of bad art. But when something like this drops, there are so many jokes and insults that can be made about it, you really need the whole mass of Twitter, thousands of people all at once and from different angles saying "this sucks". You can't get that anywhere else

Neither I nor the vast majority of people in the developed world have any idea what you're talking about here

edit: just in case, I want to make it clear I do not want to know so please refrain from explaining

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't need other people to tell me something sucks. I am quite capable of knowing what sucks on my own. I'd much rather never hear of Trainor again than being forced to watch a bunch of unfunny clowns try to dunk on a bad artist who put out a bad song.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

God is this ever a thing that went from being amusing to insufferable in a record short time span

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't really like What A Wonderful World.

It's not anything about the song itself; it's sweet, but I dunno....it's just a bit too saccharine.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The Giver was a boring book when I got assigned it in sixth grade. The Giver was still a boring book when I got assigned it again in seventh grade. By the time I learned it was going to be part of the eighth grade state curriculum I had already abandoned the hope of ever actually getting anything out of school.

Lois Lowry destroyed my love of learning.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Mar 2, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Collapsing Farts posted:

Scientists are all idiots bitches

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Ah, this might be a telephone mixup game of the time the USA pharmaceutical companies infected people in Africa with syphilis(?), and the time the USA pharmaceutical companies said they'd trade embargo African nations if they ignored patents/copyright of HIV meds and let generic companies manufacturer them

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Any movie that is being described as a "love letter" to anything is going to be really bad. I don't care what the oscars say.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Any movie that is being described as a "love letter" to anything is going to be really bad. I don't care what the oscars say.

I have heard Godzilla Final Wars described as a love letter to the Godzilla franchise.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't really like What A Wonderful World.

It's not anything about the song itself; it's sweet, but I dunno....it's just a bit too saccharine.

this is why the Louis Armstrong version is the only acceptable version imo. you're only allowed to be that saccharine if you sound like a bag of gravel with stage 4 lung cancer

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

I have heard Godzilla Final Wars described as a love letter to the Godzilla franchise.

was it good?

I was mostly thinking of movies like Hugo that get 90+% positive reviews. It just feels like we're being voyeurs on movie snobs jerking each other off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah I eat rear end posted:

was it good?

I was mostly thinking of movies like Hugo that get 90+% positive reviews. It just feels like we're being voyeurs on movie snobs jerking each other off.

Godzilla Final Wars was extremely good. It's the one where Godzilla fights all the Godzilla monsters. And also the humans have genetic enhancements so they can have super powered kung fu fights with aliens.