Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
These Posh Mark commercials can gently caress off any time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

rockinricky posted:

No, I will not be renting The Car. I've seen that movie.

At least The Car delivers on the promise of self-driving via demonic possession than artificial intelligence. Take that Elon!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Curiosity got the best of me. Looks like it's a run around for leases and loans by calling it a rental subscription.

Also:

Sixt is a real rental car company that has been around for decades. With airport locations and everything. It's bigger in Europe but has been expanding in the US recently.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something weird I've noticed in Safelite commercials is that they always fake the windshield damage. It is especially goofy in the one where the guys in the ad are supposedly damaging the windshield on purpose.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
so like...

was tucker in on this dumb m&ms thing or did they just count on him freaking out every time they do anything

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The most recent one probably did bank on him freaking out since that's what he did last time they changed something.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I wonder how many times now I've seen that mesothelioma ad for that law firm with the old lady who says to call now and receive so much more. 100,000 times possibly.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not exactly sure what xfinity is advertising in its "10G" commercial, but smugly putting stuff like "The future is so bright!" into the mouths of ten year olds rubs me the wrong way when these kids are going to be dealing with the worst of climate change thanks to megacorporations like Comcast. gently caress you, xfinity; the internet should be a utility available to everyone for free.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I see this commercial at least ten times a day and it makes me twitch uncontrollably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQDCUPJfcM

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I just saw a commercial where two guys in fox costumes are hanging out with Kelis & speaking a made-up language, and I am comfortable posting it in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhUPOODY9jE

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ticks all the obnoxious-as-gently caress boxes for me:

x Monkey cheese random
x Annoying, pointless gimmick that overstays its welcome
x Gimmick has little or nothing to do with the product they're trying to sell (more about memeing than advertising).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

x Monkey cheese random
x Gimmick has little or nothing to do with the product they're trying to sell (more about memeing than advertising).

:hmmyes: I mean...at least the song part was short? It was definitely agonizing regardless.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
This might be a Canada thing, but one I’ve been seeing a lot of is for medications which can be summed up as ‘hey go ask your doctor about this drug’ without telling you anything about it.

I assume it’s some advertising regulatory thing, but all I can see is doctors repeatedly telling people ‘no you don’t need it’.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sounds better than the US, where we're treated to thirty second recitations of the side effects of corporate meds shilled on TV. Often the side effects are as bad as what the meds are trying to cure.

Ah, unfettered capitalism...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like the side effect of "may cause death" on some medicine. Yeah I think I'll just deal with my eczema instead of taking medication that might kill me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

x Monkey cheese random

The monkey cheese random/annoying pointless gimmick is also a novelty hit from like a decade ago. Feels like that should also check a box.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zaroff posted:

This might be a Canada thing, but one I’ve been seeing a lot of is for medications which can be summed up as ‘hey go ask your doctor about this drug’ without telling you anything about it.

I assume it’s some advertising regulatory thing, but all I can see is doctors repeatedly telling people ‘no you don’t need it’.

You actually see the same thing in America because advertising laws for drugs basically say that if you say what it does you have to list all the side effects.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's been a slew of new obnoxious ads that originated as super bowl spots like that Uber Eats one, also that one where the people say "Well" to the tune of Stayin' Alive that really sucks. I don't think this was a SB ad but I've been seeing one for Sprite or that new Starry soda that features like 10 seconds of someone going SSSHHHHH that also really sucks.

Also, have commercials been getting louder or am I getting older (possibly both??) ? I feel like there's been way more commercials lately where there's sounds that completely overpower whatever I was watching before it went to a commercial. I assume this is intentional because it's usually a song or something that gets stuck in my head like the chick-fil-a theme that if there's a TV on somewhere in the house it just cuts through every other sound. I remember this being a problem in the 90's that I think was outlawed at some point?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Henchman of Santa posted:

The monkey cheese random/annoying pointless gimmick is also a novelty hit from like a decade ago. Feels like that should also check a box.

It definitely does. You know that a trend is dead when you start seeing/hearing it in comic strips or commercials.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

muscles like this! posted:

You actually see the same thing in America because advertising laws for drugs basically say that if you say what it does you have to list all the side effects.

There's also "don't take [drug] if you're allergic to [drug]". Like, no poo poo? But you know, laws.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
My "favorite" thing about those drug ads is the follow-up ad six months later for a class-action lawsuit if you or a loved one suffered from heart attacks, loss of memory, lung collapse, or death after taking WonderDrug 73829.

You may be entitled to a settlement!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

beats for junkies posted:

My "favorite" thing about those drug ads is the follow-up ad six months later for a class-action lawsuit if you or a loved one suffered from heart attacks, loss of memory, lung collapse, or death after taking WonderDrug 73829.

You may be entitled to a settlement!

RIP Vioxx. A great non-steroidal and non-opiate painkiller for arthritis... Just ignore all the heart attacks and strokes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

YeahTubaMike posted:

There's also "don't take [drug] if you're allergic to [drug]". Like, no poo poo? But you know, laws.

There was once a car commercial that had the DO NOT ATTEMPT language at the bottom.

During a sequence of a cartoon car fighting a dragon.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I thought that was part of the joke. :cripes:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zaroff posted:

It does seem like nonsense, but a few times I’ve noticed that commercials for drugs that may have to do with a condition I have seem to have a non-emphasized key phrase or two related to that condition that makes me prick up my ears.

Kind of a “I know exactly what this is supposed to do, or I have zero clue at all” thing.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Anything from 4imprint. Their commercials started out having these cheesy rear end instrumentals and background music, and now recently every single one has some stupid chick squealing over her corporate office bullshit like she's at the live concert of a boy band.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zaroff posted:

What really gets me is "don't take X medication if you are allergic to it."

HOW THE gently caress DO I KNOW IF I'M ALLERGIC TO IT IF I HAVEN'T TAKEN IT

Like, I'm violently allergic to acetaminophen and bananas, but I only found that out the hard way.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sounds better than the US, where we're treated to thirty second recitations of the side effects of corporate meds shilled on TV. Often the side effects are as bad as what the meds are trying to cure.

Ah, unfettered capitalism...

Side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, heart attacks, infected taint, rocking pneumonia, boogie woogie flu, and in rare cases your heart may turn into a second liver

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, heart attacks, infected taint, rocking pneumonia, boogie woogie flu, and in rare cases your heart may turn into a second liver

... but I can lose up to 10 pounds right?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And those are just the side effects they tell you about. I get sweats. My bones are cold. My teeth are loose. My heart gets really, really hot. I can read minds. And sometimes I wake up driving a stolen car. But my erections are fantastic. When I wear gray sweat pants, people cross the street. Which is fine. Xentrex gave me my life back. Hail Satan.

Wait, I know I've seen a commercial for something where "ruptured taint" was an actual side effect.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 3, 2023

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I swear that now 50% of all commercials are for Skip the Dishes & Door Dash or some other knock off, and home meal delivery kits.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sash! posted:

And those are just the side effects they tell you about. I get sweats. My bones are cold. My teeth are loose. My heart gets really, really hot. I can read minds. And sometimes I wake up driving a stolen car. But my erections are fantastic. When I wear gray sweat pants, people cross the street. Which is fine. Xentrex gave me my life back. Hail Satan.

Wait, I know I've seen a commercial for something where "ruptured taint" was an actual side effect.

I think it was Jardiance which had a side effect of "potentially life threatening infection of the pereneum, which is a fatal taint infection.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sash! posted:

I would take this recreationally.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

AlternateAccount posted:

I would take this recreationally.

Until your taint rots…off? Down? Let’s go with “away.”

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vakal posted:

I swear that now 50% of all commercials are for Skip the Dishes & Door Dash or some other knock off, and home meal delivery kits.

Ding dong! It's Drizzly!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
KFC using "Bubble Butt" to advertise the Double Down, and the cartoon Coloniel voice at the end promoting Diablo beta access with purchase...

I'm done. Gonna go live in a shack in the woods.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Holy poo poo do I ever hate this commercial. And it's been everywherrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee during March Madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jn2GsLryqw

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
There's this one commercial for an injury lawyer or hospital or medical organization or something, I don't remember. Anyway, this lady talks about the doctors telling her they were going to have to amputate her leg after an injury, and she says something like "I just wasn't going to accept that" as if people who DID have their limbs amputated gave up & were totally cool with it or something. Anyway, that bugs the poo poo out of me.

edit: It was actually "That just was not okay with me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD742HpfFHo

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 30, 2023

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
You hear that same language with fighting/beating cancer and it is indeed gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak0bslL3KkQ

My girlfriend thinks this is meant to appeal to Trumpers. I'm certain that whoever directed this commercial told the girl to dance exactly like that because I don't think anybody dances like that. Either way they play this literally every single commercial break on the local nbc sports channels and holy poo poo make it stop please.