Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

EdsTeioh posted:

Hahah yeah, most of our upper level guys are really good about policing folks like this. They already bounced some clumsy rear end high school wrestler after he hurt a few people (me included). So since you're a purple, how effective IS that guard pass I posted? I can see where you may get caught in a triangle, but I also see how to avoid it.

It is an effective guard pass, but you have to be hypervigilant of the bottom leg and not allowing it to climb your back. As long as you control the bottom leg they can't triangle you.

When I attempt that type of pass with the leg on my shoulder, I like to slice my knee over their bottom leg (so if I have their R leg on my L shoulder, I slice my R shin over their L thigh to pin it to the ground). That way it's my body weight against their leg. What my head instructor teaches is that from there, before you remove the slicing leg to really start to turn the corner and stack/pass them, you grab the inside of their thigh just above the knee (so in my example my R hand would cup the inside of uke's thigh just above the knee - turning my arm with four fingers on the back of the thigh).

e: basically like this:

butros fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thanks y'all; I feel a lot better about the whole thing now. ALSO could you work some type of submission using that hooked leg? Every time I'm in that position, I'm on the verge of tapping out due to lack of breath and also my spine being folded backwards, BUT I think that single leg would be a fairly ok groin stretch; thoughts?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
TBH I also, personally, would either knee slice or swim both hands for a "double under" pass. But it doesn't make Rickson's move wrong. Just because you can counter a jab with a left hook doesn't mean boxers have been wrong the last hundred and twenty years.

Here's an actual white belt tip: even before we think about ways to transition to a new position, whether it's a pass or a sweep, whatever, there's an even more fundamental question which is you posture within your current position. In guard you want to be upright, good base with wide knees, hands pinning their hips down and your elbows turned in and tight to your body, arm straight. If you're like that you're going to be hard to sweep or submit and their attempts are just going to be times when their guard opens an opportunities for you to pass. Watch for them trying to get a collar grip, hand fight that.

Conversely, if they break your posture down and pull your arms out of place, you have to win that fight before you pass. I spent a lot of frustrating time at white belt not being able to keep my posture against upper belts, but just because that's the stage that you're at, it doesn't mean there's something fundamentally invalid about your pass, it's just that this is where the battle is taking place and it's OK to be fighting and even losing at that point, that's where the passes, sweeps, and submissions really start.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Thanks y'all; I feel a lot better about the whole thing now. ALSO could you work some type of submission using that hooked leg? Every time I'm in that position, I'm on the verge of tapping out due to lack of breath and also my spine being folded backwards, BUT I think that single leg would be a fairly ok groin stretch; thoughts?

I haven't had anyone tap to the groin stretch - the way I do the pass is taking the slicing leg off and moving it behind the butt as the other leg inches up their back and I put their knee to their nose. It's hard to get that knee to nose effect if you're still slicing over the leg.

We were actually just working that stack pass last week, and the thing my instructor said was "the pass should be a mercy." As you put the knee to the nose, as you have experienced it's a ton of pressure and super uncomfortable and occasionally people will tap, but it's not a technical submission and would be more akin to someone tapping to pressure from mount.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

butros posted:

"the pass should be a mercy."

God, yes. I actually throw my own leg over and invite side control any time I start to get stacked; I'd rather work side control escapes than get folded in half.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

An olympic judo medalist demoed that exact pass last time she did a workshop in our area. It's a fine pass.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

EdsTeioh posted:

You can do a groin stretch, you gotta kinda use your shin in their kneepit (is that what it's called? the armpit of the leg) on the lower leg to extend it. puts a lot of pressure on the hip too.

e: Alternatively, if you've got the one high leg you can stack them, pass on the high side and do a banana split

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 21, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

you can do a banana split/groin stretch, you gotta kinda use your shin in their kneepit (is that what it's called? the armpit of the leg) on the lower leg to extend it. puts a lot of pressure on the hip too

from the tattoo threads I've taken to calling that the "knee ditch"

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

CommonShore posted:

from the tattoo threads I've taken to calling that the "knee ditch"

Yikes; as a dude that has tattoos in his arm ditches, I can't imagine how bad that would suck on the knee ditches. More BJJ questions! I ended up getting partnered up with a woman last night for our drills. She actually asked me if I wanted to partner with her, and I basically said "yeah that's fine, IF you're ok with it." She's a friend of a friend, so I'd talked to her a few times in the past and she ended up being fantastic to run drills with and then eventually asked why I asked her if it was ok. I basically told her I wanted to respect boundaries and be respectful since I didn't know if she was comfortable training with a man, etc, to which she replied that she appreciated it but, you know, let's fight, so crank those submissions in. Any of you have any experience training against people of the opposite sex?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

EdsTeioh posted:

Yikes; as a dude that has tattoos in his arm ditches, I can't imagine how bad that would suck on the knee ditches. More BJJ questions! I ended up getting partnered up with a woman last night for our drills. She actually asked me if I wanted to partner with her, and I basically said "yeah that's fine, IF you're ok with it." She's a friend of a friend, so I'd talked to her a few times in the past and she ended up being fantastic to run drills with and then eventually asked why I asked her if it was ok. I basically told her I wanted to respect boundaries and be respectful since I didn't know if she was comfortable training with a man, etc, to which she replied that she appreciated it but, you know, let's fight, so crank those submissions in. Any of you have any experience training against people of the opposite sex?

yeah just be normal and treat it the way you would any other size/strength disparity if that's the case

not a lot of women grapple so they're basically all gonna be extremely used to training with men

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some of my favourite training partners are women.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

slidebite posted:

Not Judo and zero relation to this link/club, but this is basically the same way I tie my double wrap.
https://youtu.be/hD-hAzoA-mM

Never had to do a single wrap, but can't you just get a size or two larger belt? Belt size not matching uniform size is pretty common. I wear a 5 uni and can wear a 5 belt, but I prefer the hang of a 6.

Thanks, I'll see how that goes.

Bigger isn't an option -- I'm already at 8 for both :sigh:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

There’s a few women that train at my gym and I love rolling with them because they have very physiques and thereby very different rolling styles than the monsters I usually get to roll with, which means that I get to different positions and get different looks both offensively and defensively.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

While we obviously don't do the floor work like you guys do, we do have quite a few (30-40%?) female members. I love sparring with them. Typically very technical and unless they are super tall and have reach, they rely on speed and flexibility which they do well. Better than most guys by a mile.

That said, I get the concern with putting your hands on a female and moving them. We rarely do that but it does happen. As long as you're not a perv or obviously going for a grope I can't imagine it being a problem, if it is they're probably in the wrong sport because incidental/accidents can happen.

I remember once when I was going for a flying sidekick, I had to bail out of it at the last second and ended up stumbling, put my hands straight out and totally grabbed the chest of a 18-19 year old female that was holding the kick bag. Like. Total hand grab. Zero chance there was doubt it happened. I guarantee I was way more horrified than she was. I apologized profusely and she had to reassure me it was absolutely fine and totally let it slide. I still felt terrible :(

FouRPlaY posted:

Thanks, I'll see how that goes.

Bigger isn't an option -- I'm already at 8 for both :sigh:
Going with a single wrap you might even need to go with a smaller belt than you think. I just tried mine as a single wrap and it was literally hanging on the floor lol.

Good luck!

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

EdsTeioh posted:

Hahah yeah, most of our upper level guys are really good about policing folks like this. They already bounced some clumsy rear end high school wrestler after he hurt a few people (me included). So since you're a purple, how effective IS that guard pass I posted? I can see where you may get caught in a triangle, but I also see how to avoid it.

If you have decent posture and any kind of hip control at all, it's going to be very difficult for the bottom person to get their hips up high enough to threaten a triangle. The more immediate concern, IMO, would be a scissor sweep in the direction of the knee you're up on, but it looks like Rickson is keeping a pretty solid frame on the bottom guy's right leg to keep him from turning in the direction he would need to begin that sweep.

Also, there is no One True Way to do a given guard pass, and the idea of someone visiting a different school and then getting upset because someone used a different grip or something than they're used to is frankly hilarious.

EdsTeioh posted:

Some women do start training as a result of awful circumstances and I won't make any assumptions about what someone is comfortable with when they're brand new... but if they're mixing it up in gen pop, you can assume that they're used to grappling with dudes at that point. Roll with them like you would a guy of the same size.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
As a woman, I do appreciate a quick, "we cool?" from new training partners, but I figure that's just the standard getting to know you phase of being in the gym? Just don't make it weird and we'll stay cool.

It was a running joke at my old-old gym how many times someone (regardless of gender) ended up accidentally copping a feel on someone else while grappling, but it was always framed in an, "oops, unintentional" way, not anything even remotely sexual.

My old gym decided to avoid potential poo poo altogether by having women only roll with other women, and it sucked because we had the same 3 people in rotation every week (in a class of 5-20 people depending on the day). I really missed the old-old team's philosophy of working with everyone as long as everyone was cool with it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was once rolling no-gi with a woman I knew well; her wearing spats. She was standing, I was playing open guard, and I ended up sticking toes right in her vag. Like, right the gently caress in there. We had a good laugh about it, I'm just glad it happened with her and not some newbie.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:staredog:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:eyepop:

Yikes

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So one concept about what I'm learning (Wing Chun) is about keeping light on your feet, so we bounce on our toes for a couple minutes at a time. It makes my shins ache if I do this for more than 30 seconds, whether in the school mat or at home on my semi-thick carpet. I can certainly walk for extended periods of time and even run a little without this pain happening at all, and it's not a high impact jump or hop. Edit for clarity: Nothing I do in my daily life generates this pain other than me hopping on my toes. Is there any reason for this other than me being overweight (5'8", 235 as of now)? Is there anything I can work on besides my gut to make this more tolerable?

Morter fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 3, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Morter posted:

So one concept about what I'm learning (Wing Chun) is about keeping light on your feet, so we bounce on our toes for a couple minutes at a time. Whether on the carpet or at home though, it makes my shins ache if I do this for more than 30 seconds, whether in the school mat or at home on my semi-thick carpet. I can certainly walk for extended periods of time and even run a little without this pain happening at all, and it's not a high impact jump or hop. Edit for clarity: Nothing I do in my daily life generates this pain other than me hopping on my toes. Is there any reason for this other than me being overweight (5'8", 235 as of now)? Is there anything I can work on besides my gut to make this more tolerable?

This is why boxers skip rope

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

CommonShore posted:

This is why boxers skip rope

Makes sense. So this is just a 'not used to it' pain as opposed to something more obvious/red flag-y?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Morter posted:

Makes sense. So this is just a 'not used to it' pain as opposed to something more obvious/red flag-y?

Most likely. Could be shin splints. I would get that running for more than a quarter mile even when I was in my best fighting shape, like being able to jump rope non stop. So there must be some usage specificity with it.
But if it's not preventing you from doing all of class, just keep going with it and see if it lightens up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I vaguely recall something like that happening to me too. It went away because we do it ALL the time. That's our sparring stance and many of our drills are done that way too. I suspect with time and repetition it will for you too.

Also, remember a while ago I was asking about thoughts on an appropriate BB tattoo? Here is the finale copy/paste from the YLLS tattoo thread.

slidebite posted:

Since you asked, today was the day to lose my tattoo virginity.

e: From this:

To this:

drumroll

At first I wasn't super keen on how he incorporated the gold Dan bar, kinda looked like a collar on the kitty, but the more I look at it the more I like it, especially if I get another one or two.

I think it has the literal symbology of my belt pretty well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

My coach is a lady and did that, with her hand, to another woman and they were worthless from laughing for a solid minute.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I usually just end up kicking my partners in the nuts.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Morter posted:

So one concept about what I'm learning (Wing Chun) is about keeping light on your feet, so we bounce on our toes for a couple minutes at a time. It makes my shins ache if I do this for more than 30 seconds, whether in the school mat or at home on my semi-thick carpet. I can certainly walk for extended periods of time and even run a little without this pain happening at all, and it's not a high impact jump or hop. Edit for clarity: Nothing I do in my daily life generates this pain other than me hopping on my toes. Is there any reason for this other than me being overweight (5'8", 235 as of now)? Is there anything I can work on besides my gut to make this more tolerable?

IME shin pain doesnt get better if you keep doing the same thing, take a break from whatever is giving you shin pain and build back up slow

If it is a dull pain maybe its just regular muscle soreness and youre fine. But if you are experiencing any kind of sharp pain on landing you should stop

Im not sure why people get shin pain but ive seen it in even fit people doing just a small amount of e.g. running. And if you try to run through it, its not gonna get better

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

I vaguely recall something like that happening to me too. It went away because we do it ALL the time. That's our sparring stance and many of our drills are done that way too. I suspect with time and repetition it will for you too.

Also, remember a while ago I was asking about thoughts on an appropriate BB tattoo? Here is the finale copy/paste from the YLLS tattoo thread.

:hai: good choice I like it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks man

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The tattoo journey reminds me of something:

Does anyone here save their old belts? I know from my time teaching that some parents/families love to save them as mementos for their kids, and you can find belt display stands but like... I just throw my old belts into the community bin for the club to award to someone else some day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yep. I have them all and the medals I won at the few tournaments I competed at. I drunkenly impulse bought a $20 belt rack on Amazon and threw them on it.

I just have them propped against the wall in my exercise room.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I keep mine but don't display them, they're just tossed into the closet. A $20 rack sounds nice, particularly if I can mount it on the wall.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I gave my white belt to my brother when he started and otherwise just have my blue belt in the closet. It’s sentimental to me both that it’s the belt my instructor gave me and the time I put in while wearing it. Don’t think I would ever display my old belts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here's my potato photo. It has more spots than needed for my belts and my obsessive compulsive hasn't kicked in yet to trim extra ones off or keep them inline.

It's OK for what it is.

It's basically this but I don't think it was the same brand but I don't think its MDF, it's more like rubber tree wood or some sort of chinese wood substitute.

https://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Martial-Arts-Belt-Holder/dp/B0036IL1QK/

I doubt I'd put it on the wall though, maybe in my exercise room? But we don't ever hang anything on the wall. I doubt I'd ever get rid of them. I guess if I had a kid or someone in my close family that wanted to train I'd maybe give them to them, but imho part of the fun is earning your own. It's not like they're worth much, other than the permanent personalized BB (not the same in the photo) which was way more high end a little costly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I have mine in a spare gym bag somewhere. I doubt I'd ever display them, not really my thing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My parents kept my childhood belts, and the box with all that stuff ended up getting dropped off out here a few years back.

I gave my BJJ white belt to one of the new kids when I left Helena, and I got a second one somewhere along that's longer that I like better anyway. I still have no idea where it came from. I swear I didn't have a belt, and boom, there was one in the bottom of my gi bag anyway.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slidebite posted:

This is a much better choice than what the original idea was gonna be. Plus if you hate your martial arts of choice later on you can just say you like cougars.

CommonShore posted:

The tattoo journey reminds me of something:

Does anyone here save their old belts? I know from my time teaching that some parents/families love to save them as mementos for their kids, and you can find belt display stands but like... I just throw my old belts into the community bin for the club to award to someone else some day.

Not I. I threw them out because i kept moving around and it just started to get annoying seeing them sitting in a suitcase.

It would have been nice to long term but also I kinda just don't care to keep them. I've been half tempted to throw out all my bjj medals basically for the same reason.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 4, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Does nobody else like wearing a well-worn belt? I love a faded belt.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

100% plan to, mine is just starting to get broken in. Also kinda why I got that tat based on that logo because it's probably the last one I'll ever earn (I can get a dan bar embroidered on it if needed)

Adidas even makes belts that are "pre-broken in" :rolleyes:

"Why, Yes this blackbelt is 25 years old and I train 7 days a week" as you eat a bag of doritos and pick the some mystery snack out of your beard.

Mekchu posted:

Plus if you hate your martial arts of choice later on you can just say you like cougars.
An angle I never considered. And I kinda do so gets all around better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

100% plan to, mine is just starting to get broken in. Also kinda why I got that tat based on that logo because it's probably the last one I'll ever earn (I can get a dan bar embroidered on it if needed)

Adidas even makes belts that are "pre-broken in" :rolleyes:

"Why, Yes this blackbelt is 25 years old and I train 7 days a week" as you eat a bag of doritos and pick the some mystery snack out of your beard.

An angle I never considered. And I kinda do so gets all around better!

I know a judoka who I've seen swing as much as 100 lb in weight who is a legit 4th degree bb competitor and one time the refs made him throw out his ratty belt and put on a new one because it was too beat up for competition heh