Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thebardyspoon posted:

Oh some footage of him wrestling with young men on stage years ago as part of some "silly game" called "hide the sausage" on a stage show he was on years back resurfaced, it basically seems like peer pressured sexual harassment of audience members to me.

Just in case it's not clear, the sexual harassment and humiliation was the crux of the joke. It also wasn't just a onetime thing from a small show, it was a regular part of their worldwide live tour at the height of their fame

quote:

Walliams performed a 'Hide the Sausage' sketch numerous times during the Little Britain Live tour in 2006 and subsequent worldwide tours including Little Britain in Australia in 2007 and at charity events. Walliams portrayed a fictional, gay, former children's entertainer and sex offender named Des Kaye who invites volunteers from the audience or celebrity guests to play the game. Recordings of the sketch include footage where Walliams attempts to kiss participants, manhandles them, pulls their trousers and underwear down, and simulates anal sex. Volunteers are seen "grappling to keep their genitals covered." The sketch was criticised by gay rights campaigners and attracted criticism and concern from members of the public.

quote:

Footage from a 2007 BBC documentary titled Little Britain Down Under shows Walliams inviting male teenagers, said to be aged sixteen to eighteen, to play 'Hide the Sausage' on stage. Walliams asks the volunteers to confirm their ages and says "Bingo" when one claims they are sixteen years old before adding, "You're a big boy for 16 aren't you - that's what I'll tell the judge."

Walliams is seen pulling down the trousers and underwear of young men before he appears to kiss their buttocks and simulate anal sex. The volunteers attempt to keep their clothes on.

During the documentary, Walliams reads a letter he claims was written by a victim of sexual abuse who criticises the Des Kaye character. Elsewhere in the documentary, Walliams says, "I love cruelty, it's my favourite thing in the world."

quote:

Matt Lucas discussed the 'Hide the Sausage' sketch in his 2017 autobiography titled Little Me and claimed that some audience members reacted with violence. Lucas wrote that. "During a game of 'Hide the Sausage', he would almost always wrestle the trousers off some poor lad" adding that, "You could never get away with that today. In fact he didn't always get away with it then. Sometimes David would get a clout for his troubles and I'd see him in the wings afterwards, nursing a sore ear."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Walliams#Controversies

Also this:

quote:

In 2009, Walliams dated eighteen-year-old model Lauren Budd. Budd claimed Walliams had approached her agent, Premier Model Management for a date with Budd.
Walliams was 38 at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was rewatching Kids in the Hall a little bit ago, and though I'm too much of a 90's boomer to completely tell how poorly its aged overall, some of the skits cause me to wince. Lotta dated gay jokes in there, but at the time, there wasn't much gay comedy written and performed by actual gay men, so... feel free to disapprove of my continuing to watch, but the surreality and edge of the show is hard to beat, and it's a nostalgia trip.

This one, from episode one or two of season 1, was a trip to see in 2022.

content warning: f word
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TtfMLGnok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure at the time Little Britain was called out for being gross unfunny poo poo that's just presenting bigotry as inherently entertaining

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I was rewatching Kids in the Hall a little bit ago, and though I'm too much of a 90's boomer to completely tell how poorly its aged overall, some of the skits cause me to wince. Lotta dated gay jokes in there, but at the time, there wasn't much gay comedy written and performed by actual gay men, so... feel free to disapprove of my continuing to watch, but the surreality and edge of the show is hard to beat, and it's a nostalgia trip.

This one, from episode one or two of season 1, was a trip to see in 2022.

content warning: f word
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TtfMLGnok

There are exactly 0 poorly aged things in the series as long as you ignore all the blackface.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't even remember processing the implications of what was going on there, I remember it was just downright unpleasant, and even Anthony Stewart Head being added wasn't enough to get me to keep on watching.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sobatchja Morda posted:

EDIT: Writing this did remind me of a way better reference in modern media to silent comedy: the opening shot of John Wick 2, when the camera pans from a screen showing the motorcycle chase from Sherlock Jr. to some unlucky rider getting killed by Wick. Me and a friend have a fun game of spotting Buster Keaton references in films, and it's always the choreographers and stunt professionals that pull through.

This is basically the entire plot and theme of The Fall (the Tarsem movie with Lee Pace, not the British crime show with Gillian Anderson). The end of movie montage is literally a supercut of Buster Keaton era stunt performances.

Pretty sure it's aged well. It's basically a fairy tale on top of an OSHA horror story. The child lead is a delight.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This is basically the entire plot and theme of The Fall (the Tarsem movie with Lee Pace, not the British crime show with Gillian Anderson). The end of movie montage is literally a supercut of Buster Keaton era stunt performances.

Pretty sure it's aged well. It's basically a fairy tale on top of an OSHA horror story. The child lead is a delight.

And it's a gorgeous as hell movie too, it's just a drat shame that it's not available via streaming anywhere (as far as I can tell).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Aces High posted:

What about shows like Monkey Dust? I only know about that one because of the Pedofinder General clips making their rounds when #metoo was starting to kick off. I presume it (as a sketch series) had its own share of :yikes: content

There definitely would be stuff in Monkey Dust that wasn't even great then, it always played very close to the edge and it was more notable for its sheer vitriol than its exemplary politics

With that said Monkey Dust and Little Britain are wholly different fish. Something like Brass Eye would be a better comparison

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
As an antidote to Walliams, I've always fondly remembered this clip from Never Mind the Buzzcocks with Noel Fielding's comeback to him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Yuug3UQfQ

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Bolingbroke posted:

As an antidote to Walliams, I've always fondly remembered this clip from Never Mind the Buzzcocks with Noel Fielding's comeback to him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Yuug3UQfQ

I love noel so much

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Aces High posted:

What about shows like Monkey Dust? I only know about that one because of the Pedofinder General clips making their rounds when #metoo was starting to kick off. I presume it (as a sketch series) had its own share of :yikes: content

There's a few things in money dust but overall that show was punching up not down so has aged fine.

BrassEye and day today are the same too. A few bits here and there but overall still great and still very funny.

(Here is where someone posts some awful sketch I've forgotten about)

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Mar 3, 2023

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Paper Tiger posted:

And it's a gorgeous as hell movie too, it's just a drat shame that it's not available via streaming anywhere (as far as I can tell).

Man, The Fall is like one of those perfect storms of filmmaking where everything just comes together so right. If anyone hasn't seen it, it's worth just buying it on disk and going in blind. I would do horrible things for a 4K release of that film.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

On a lighter note, Redman's album Malpractice aged badly. Not because of bad opinions but because he raps about "the new playstation 2" and compares himself to the sharks in "the Deep Blue Sea".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is he still living in that two-bedroom rental seen in MTV cribs?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
he was as of '17 https://www.xxlmag.com/redman-still-lives-mtv-cribs-house-staten-island/

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I only saw that Redman cribs episode for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and while the whole thing is great, the camera pan over the unflushed, pissy toilet was just perfection.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unsurprisingly like all of reality tv it eventually came out that Cribs was faked (except for Redman)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/tarksgauntlet/status/1631809089385660416?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Unsurprisingly like all of reality tv it eventually came out that Cribs was faked (except for Redman)

Had a friend tell me via knowing someone who's house was used that they would shop around for mansions/houses and these rich people got extremely competitive, leading to one family that was in the running agreed to install a ball pit in the house in order to secure the deal.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Not that I'd expect a xXxGAMERxXx to have any sense of proportion, but the slighting of JRPGs is the least objectionable part of just that intro.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alhazred posted:

On a lighter note, Redman's album Malpractice aged badly. Not because of bad opinions but because he raps about "the new playstation 2" and compares himself to the sharks in "the Deep Blue Sea".
Ludacris, on the other hand, has aged just fine because having a "playstation 2 up in the ride" would still be great

(just don't listen to any of his other lyrics :v:)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Blowing up G4/X-Play reminds me of this little running gag from the early 2000s of Dork Tower:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

was literally just about to post this

that was the top rated show on g4 and the height of Gamer Humor at the time

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/1632078967216959489

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

And he’s going on a block spree of everyone calling him out on this.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ludacris, on the other hand, has aged just fine because having a "playstation 2 up in the ride" would still be great

(just don't listen to any of his other lyrics :v:)

I enjoy when 2002 era rappers boast about having GPS in the whip. See every Nelly song.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Consumer boner simulator? What does that even mean

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CharlestheHammer posted:

Consumer boner simulator? What does that even mean
it's "stimulator", I assume he means like, pavlovian reaction to jrpg is boner?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm assuming it's a reference to the boob physics they bring up in the review.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But early 2000s JRPGs are no more horny than their western counterparts.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

You could also get away with being this incredibly racist about them though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are you sure about that do I need to post the special move from legend of dragoon where a party member spreads her legs and a black hole comes out

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Jesus Christ, I liked this show and guy when I was a kid. What a loving embarrassment. Here’s the full review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwH9S1rSdw

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

And he’s going on a block spree of everyone calling him out on this.

it's a real shame honestly. i always felt that the suits at G4 pushed him to act more obnoxious and cinge-y when they took over Tech TV. i remember back when the show was called Extended Play and he was a much more likable and far less irritating host. but there might have been a bit of the real deal in those later episodes

CharlestheHammer posted:

yeah but nobody talked about wrpgs back in that time period

speaking of x-play also kinda funny to look back and see how morgan webb was like a proto-anita sarkeesian. sure, their personalities and the things they focused on were nothing alike, but in terms of being the most hated woman on the internet by Gamers. the nickname "morgan manjaw" was rather ubiquitous at the time. i disagreed with a lot of her takes but she probably didn't deserve as much hate as she got

...that being said i do remember her doing a live report at a Final Fantasy concert interviewing people there and just being bored out of her mind, which made me rage quite a bit as someone that was dying to go to one of these :argh: (though, i did wind up going to shortly after :unsmith: )

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wasn't in the US at the time so completely missed out on basically all of this gamer TV stuff (and also wasn't really watching much TV or playing new games).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

was it G4 that had that, thankfully, short-lived gameshow that had teams of devs pitch ideas for a game and if you kept surviving each week you moved further along in the process, with the ultimate winner supposedly making their game and getting some kind of a contract with EA or one of the other AAA corps?

I may be confusing it with that Ultimate Gamer one that Hannah Simone hosted, but I absolutely remember watching the first episode, where all the teams had to draft pitches and many many MANY of them were just horrible ideas that had a shitload of misogyny and objectification in them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also a whole cultural thing that didn't age well was the whole "Scifi fans/gamers are weird virgins" idea because not only is it implying that nerds are unappealing unilaterally, it's also implying that if you are a virgin it's because there's something wrong with you, when you may just be asexual and not care about it. I've been a virgin my entire life and it's simply because I don't care about that kind of thing, not because I'm a weird nerd (shut up, I know this potentially walks me into a dumb joke and am willing to take that risk)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wouldn't say that didn't age well because that's still a prevalent sentiment online.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arivia posted:

Are you sure about that do I need to post the special move from legend of dragoon where a party member spreads her legs and a black hole comes out

I mean if that gets you going I guess good for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Pookah posted:

I only saw that Redman cribs episode for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and while the whole thing is great, the camera pan over the unflushed, pissy toilet was just perfection.

See that just makes Redman even cooler.