Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope magic and skills eventually start being cost-worthy eventually, because so far it just seems better to spam normals to have a big blue bar so I can safely block/parry spam for more blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
But magic is fun and cool

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Dryzen posted:

yeah I had constant stutters with big stutters on w10 with e cores on, constant stutters on w10 with e cores off, and none of either with w11 and e cores off

the mouse deadzone is something that will hopefully get patched before anyone has to make something crazy to get around it

These are the reasons why the game is getting hammered in Steam reviews at the moment (31% positive, loving brutal). This level of tinkering should absolutely not be required to play the game on reasonably modern hardware. It's dogshit PC port and not worth the current price tag until they fix it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

even a game as lauded as elden ring required an absolutely insane amount of fiddling to get it to work on PC on launch

it's honestly par for the course for PC ports at this point, and i wish it wasn't, but i don't see that changing anytime soon as long as the people having problems on launch day aren't in the overwhelming majority

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Given the rating on Steam they might well be the majority. I’m glad I have a controller to play with but oof.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ShadowMar posted:

dont buy a loot game if you dont want a loot game

Nioh 2 was a good loot game and seemed like a very conscious correction from Nioh 1; very early on you're getting items that have like 10-20% bonuses vs enemies afflicted with certain status effects etc. and they can provide some fun directions to build your character around. I'm assuming Wo Long also gets fun like that in the endgame, but it sounds like the early game is cluttered up with a bunch of bullshit pointless items to the point where it feels like a step back

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Given the rating on Steam they might well be the majority. I’m glad I have a controller to play with but oof.

the mouselook thing is truly just straight up baffling, and i have to assume that they just forgot to uncheck some kind of hardcoded mouse acceleration flag and did not, in fact, implement mouselook as a loving joystick, because what're we doing

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Vermain posted:

even a game as lauded as elden ring required an absolutely insane amount of fiddling to get it to work on PC on launch

it's honestly par for the course for PC ports at this point, and i wish it wasn't, but i don't see that changing anytime soon as long as the people having problems on launch day aren't in the overwhelming majority

Elden Ring launch wasn't anywhere close to this bad. The initial batch of Steam reviews at launch are always an overreaction to the game's problems, and ER was at 78% positive reviews at launch. So even with the problems, the vast majority could play the game just fine. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Double Bill posted:

Elden Ring launch wasn't anywhere close to this bad. The initial batch of Steam reviews at launch are always an overreaction to the game's problems, and ER was at 78% positive reviews at launch. So even with the problems, the vast majority could play the game just fine. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

ER launched at a much more charitable time for north america (re: not 2 AM CET), so i wouldn't necessarily take this as a representative sample

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is there a list of what the different banners you can hang actually mean?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I have a lot of experience with souls games and played like 30 hours of Nioh, but I ate poo poo like seriously 30 times on the first boss. The game does a pretty terrible job of explaining what all the gauges and random poo poo on the screen actually mean, and the only enemies you can test the combat on die in like 2 hits in this area. I was about ready to strangle the blindfolded dude for constantly telling me to USE THE JADE! on phase two when I had no idea what the gently caress that meant.

I proceeded to kill the second boss in two tries. Nioh had this same atrocious problem of boss difficulty being a totally random rollercoaster, I hope things even out from here.

Performance is pretty bad for how grimy the game looks (80-100 FPS constantly but the frame pacing feels hosed up) and I'm getting weird flashing and flickering occasionally, which is not a deal breaker but it does not speak to a polished product.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Scoss posted:

Performance is pretty bad for how grimy the game looks (80-100 FPS constantly but the frame pacing feels hosed up) and I'm getting weird flashing and flickering occasionally, which is not a deal breaker but it does not speak to a polished product.

a friend of mine said he fixed his frame pacing issues by limiting FPS externally instead of relying on the ingame option, so it might be worth a shot if that's giving you grief

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also waiting for this before I pick which one I want to use out of the like 200 characters available.

Scoss posted:

I was about ready to strangle the blindfolded dude for constantly telling me to USE THE JADE! on phase two when I had no idea what the gently caress that meant.

He's telling you to use your spirit animal to automatically end the fight. That the game makes the on screen prompt so difficult to notice is some seriously bush league UI design.

I'm maybe half way through the 3rd level, has anyone found that you actually miss anything by keeping the AI dudes with you? I had assumed it's intended to have them there on a first playthrough to hear their dialogue, but from what I can tell they don't ever say anything substantial and having them run around fucks up your own fighting more often than not.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Takes No Damage posted:

He's telling you to use your spirit animal to automatically end the fight. That the game makes the on screen prompt so difficult to notice is some seriously bush league UI design.

I did notice the icon light up but I thought the input was RB+B, because it's right next to your other RB weapon techniques and of course that's what it would be based on the cardinal direction/face button mapping that the weapon techniques and magic use. When my character was just doing some wimpy sword stab (which I now realize was the weapon swap) I assumed it was some useless poo poo move and the ghost of Tomonobu Itagaki insisted that I must beat the boss fair and square.

Watching a video of someone else fighting the boss, I see that the text on the left side of the screen telling you the deflect input almost imperceptibly changes over to display the Divine Beast input, as if people haven't already mentally filtered out that entire segment of the screen as useless noise.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 3, 2023

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

How does the game run on ps5 I might order and install on the way home.

Runs great, looks great. Running on performance mode and it never drops in frames.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Scoss posted:

I did notice the icon light up but I though the input was RB+B, because it's right next to your other RB weapon techniques and of course that's what it would be based on the cardinal direction/face button mapping that the weapon techniques and magic use. When my character was just doing some wimpy sword stab (which I now realize was the weapon swap) I assumed it was some useless poo poo move and the ghost of Tomonobu Itagaki insisted that I must beat the boss fair and square.

Watching a video of someone else fighting the boss, I see that the text on the left side of the screen telling you the deflect input almost imperceptibly changes over to display the Divine Beast input, as if people haven't already mentally filtered out that entire segment of the screen as useless noise.

Had this exact problem. Hammering RB+B lol.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
edit: accidental post

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vermain posted:

a friend of mine said he fixed his frame pacing issues by limiting FPS externally instead of relying on the ingame option, so it might be worth a shot if that's giving you grief

Can second that this made a substantial difference for me as well. I used the Nvidia control panel to limit it to 59 FPS, and all of a sudden it runs better at medium settings than it did even at minimal potato settings before. Still has occasional hitches, but far less common than they used to be.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tae posted:

I hope magic and skills eventually start being cost-worthy eventually, because so far it just seems better to spam normals to have a big blue bar so I can safely block/parry spam for more blue.

Yeah, for me magic never got to that point. The only spell I used regularly was the one that gives you and your allies HP recovery for doing damage, because the game is real stingy with healing potions, so being able to backstab a dude to death and recover half your HP bar is a very appealing option.

But doing literally 20 damage with a spell sure ain't terribly appealing.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So it just feels like Nioh 2 minus the fun Oni powers, not a bad game exactly but oooof this is a lovely PC port. I had to put everything on "low" to get past the opening cutscene and all of the button prompts are the PS ones even though I'm using a XBOX pad. Not great.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DreadUnknown posted:

So it just feels like Nioh 2 minus the fun Oni powers, not a bad game exactly but oooof this is a lovely PC port. I had to put everything on "low" to get past the opening cutscene and all of the button prompts are the PS ones even though I'm using a XBOX pad. Not great.

You can fix the button prompts by going into controller settings and setting it to "type 2". Why the game isn't able to automatically recognise even the most common official controllers is a mystery though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

A Sometimes Food posted:

lol studying Kanji finally paid off! A lot of the very simple symbols share their meanings in Chinese, so 犬 is dog, 王 is king, 天 is heaven, 猫 is cat, etc. in both languages, it's kinda cool.

Azran fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 3, 2023

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

The parry window in this seems much too large. Why do anything else, especially on bosses?

That said I'm having a lot of fun, and it's on gamepass anyway. Good stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

who up longin they wo

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i have no idea how much potential this game's future end game will have once they release all the DLCs but for now im really enjoying the flow of the combat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ShadowMar posted:

i have no idea how much potential this game's future end game will have once they release all the DLCs but for now im really enjoying the flow of the combat.

Making a sequel like they did with Nioh, I imagine.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Switching to the control mode where LT is guard instead of LB made a big difference. You can guard during a parry so if you gently caress it up you still don't take full damage. At least for me it is easier to do that holding LT/L2

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, for me magic never got to that point. The only spell I used regularly was the one that gives you and your allies HP recovery for doing damage, because the game is real stingy with healing potions, so being able to backstab a dude to death and recover half your HP bar is a very appealing option.

But doing literally 20 damage with a spell sure ain't terribly appealing.

That sounds wrong, I'm level 13 here and hitting guys for 100 with a low level fire blast

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Multiplayer seems real quiet.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Played through the demo.

Positives:
- Combat feels generally really nice
- They did a great job making different weapons play different, I swapped between a fuckoff hammer which was great for clearing mooks and had huge reach, and dual blades which was great for deflection but I kept whiffing bosses because they were too far away lol. I didn't realize different weapons had different deflection timing until after I beat the prologue boss with a low-deflection% weapon, which helps explain why that was way tougher than either of the bosses in chapter one.
- It was really engaging and I had a lot of fun, which is the most important part

Negatives:
- The stutter sucks major rear end. I tried some small stuff like disabling the in-game VSync and relying on my GPU for that, and of course fiddling with the graphics settings. The latter seemed to have no measurable impact on not only the stutter, but my FPS as a whole, so welp.
Honestly, it was a big enough issue that I think I'll just wait until it gets fixed before I actually buy the full game.

Nitpicks:
- It was kind of jarring to see cutscenes in 30FPS, especially since they also had the stuttering issues.
- Loot kinda sucked tbh, thankfully I could indeed just ignore it
- The level design felt a little bit simple
- Overall the game felt like it has a bit too many secondary systems for me to bother keeping track of. What's the deal with spirit-levels and poo poo? I dunno, didn't stop me.

E: Oh yeah, and the control felt weird. I really wanted to have attack on shoulder/trigger because I'm used to that and X on my Xbox controller is a terrible place for it. But because these buttons are used for a bunch of other stuff I had to swap it back and just switch with jump instead. poo poo like casting wizard spells became way too confusing if I moved the default RT to A. I didn't look at the alternate presets much though, maybe those don't have that issue?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 3, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FWIW I had no performance problems with the demo on steam and the game pass version is also running solid 60 at 3440x1440 with everything at the highest on a 3080. I also have a recent i7 so the game might be more cpu dependent than usual.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Er anyone know how you actually access the storehouse?

EDIT: Apparently through the Blacksmith sell menu

RatHat fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 3, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

FWIW I had no performance problems with the demo on steam and the game pass version is also running solid 60 at 3440x1440 with everything at the highest on a 3080. I also have a recent i7 so the game might be more cpu dependent than usual.

I have a 3600X and 6700XT which should be plenty to play on 1440p low settings at the very least. But my experience was the same with almost everything maxed, and almost everything at low: 55 - 59 FPS consistently, drops to the 40s on occasion, and LUDICROUS stuttering even with high-50s FPS. Had less stuttering when I played Elden Ring on my i7-7700k and 1060 6GB laptop a year ago, and that was pretty stuttery at launch before it got some patches in.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Game runs great on Xbox series X (God's current favorite console).

Somewhat enjoying the lack of serious bonuses on early weapons. Seems like it was intended to let you try the weapon types without feeling forced into a build of some kind. Hoping it picks up soon though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dodge actually being the use king fu button rules.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Dont forget to block. Blocking is safe as long as you have spirit so if the enemy has a particularly tricky combo attack, block the hard parts and parry the slow ones with clear tells.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Stranger of Paradise’ loot system got genuinely good by the 2nd dlc if you like Diablolike loot. It adds a lot of build complexity and a puzzle aspect of how to gear up for postgame challenges. Until that point, loot is near meaningless filler. It preserves the difficulty curve of the main game while giving you an additional layer of rpg mechanics to interact with later. Based on what people say about Nioh, I assume Wo Long will be similar.

Problem with SoP was how they set up the DLC. The rift system was overtly convuluted. I finished first and 2nd dlc then stopped. I did try the classes from all the dlc though, they definitely went ham with the classes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wish it was easier to tell what element bosses are because targeting their weakness is extremely helpful

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Blocking is so good in this game. As long as you throw in a few normal attacks after blocking a string you can keep up a good defense as you learn parry timings.

Im unsure how spells figure in to combat or why id why to use them instead of spirit attacks. Fire blast feels good at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Is there a way to change the UI colors? The enemy health bar is really hard to read if you're colorblind.