Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Will Albo be on spill watch if the referendum fails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Pleasant Friend posted:

Will Albo be on spill watch if the referendum fails?

I'm sure the media will do everything in their power to make it happen.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
TIL that the manufacturer of a medicine I need to take to continue to live has decided to remove it from the PBS because they don't make enough profit from it, in 3 weeks. I only got a prescription for it yesterday, and this wasn't mentioned.

I want to invest in head removal technologies. With the right marketing it's a sure thing to give you enough money to live on for Superannuation.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
That feels like it shouldn't be allowed

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

That's wild. I guess it means they are interested in the police that are much more loyal to the department than the people the are policing.

Are the hurdles to be accepted into police school that high? Police jobs are generally very sought after as well paid and stable.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

That feels like it shouldn't be allowed

:capitalism:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

That's wild. I guess it means they are interested in the police that are much more loyal to the department than the people the are policing.

Are the hurdles to be accepted into police school that high? Police jobs are generally very sought after as well paid and stable.

Nobody with a soul wants to be a cop.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Comstar posted:

TIL that the manufacturer of a medicine I need to take to continue to live has decided to remove it from the PBS because they don't make enough profit from it, in 3 weeks. I only got a prescription for it yesterday, and this wasn't mentioned.

That sucks, sorry.

It wasn't Fiasp was it? The Insulin? I saw someone complaining about it in a "bloody albo" post on FB sharing a change dot org petition, but couldn't find any more information and wasn't sure what's going on

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nobody with a soul wants to be a cop.

How very droll, but we are talking QLD so no souls are at risk.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It wasn't Fiasp was it? The Insulin? I saw someone complaining about it in a "bloody albo" post on FB sharing a change dot org petition, but couldn't find any more information and wasn't sure what's going on

Yes that’s it. Though AFAIK it’s because it’s not profitable enough, not because Albo did anything.

It’s holding lives to ransom.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it seems like it's just that the manufacturer is making a lower profit margin off fiasp than the other forms of insulin it has on the pbs, so by removing it from the pbs (which is unfortunately something the manufacturer can unilaterally do, no government decision seems to be involved here) they'll make more money because people will be forced back onto the other forms

strong-arming the government into paying them more for it is also another potential desirable outcome for them. certainly seems broken that this can even happen

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1631454311631982597

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hahaha holy poo poo

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

hahaha holy poo poo
I think you actually meant to say "Allah Akbar!".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He recited the Shahada, much like her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II did on her deathbed.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Comstar posted:

Yes that’s it. Though AFAIK it’s because it’s not profitable enough, not because Albo did anything.

It’s holding lives to ransom.

But, isn't that the whole point? To remove profit from the equation? Isn't the gov supposed to subsidise the difference?

My understanding from some digging was that some brands get taken off to increases take up of the generic brands, but I still don't think I get it. But yeah, loving sucks.

e - here's the petition https://www.change.org/p/save-fiasp...r_EGW0Z8K01A7W8

In other news, the Transport Planning Manager, Cycling, Cities and Active Transport from the NSW gov got back to me and I've got a meeting Tuesday week.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

They might have been high paying once, but our glorious cabal of neoliberal ALP premiers have been persuing public sector wage freezes and doing everything in their goddamn power to avoid giving nurses, cops or teachers more than 2-3% per year in EBA negotiations. Less than half of what they've already lost to inflation.

Which is great, because the private sector typically uses public sector wage increases as a pricing signal, to avoid falling behind, or having to try to compete in other areas like job security, paid leave or flexible work.

Cops were standing in solidarity and speaking from the podium at the last public sector wages rally I went to. Fairly stark difference to the Barnett years when they were riding protesters down on horseback

lih
May 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/tfswebb/status/1631597051149701122

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Don Dongington posted:

They might have been high paying once, but our glorious cabal of neoliberal ALP premiers have been persuing public sector wage freezes and doing everything in their goddamn power to avoid giving nurses, cops or teachers more than 2-3% per year in EBA negotiations. Less than half of what they've already lost to inflation.

Which is great, because the private sector typically uses public sector wage increases as a pricing signal, to avoid falling behind, or having to try to compete in other areas like job security, paid leave or flexible work.

Cops were standing in solidarity and speaking from the podium at the last public sector wages rally I went to. Fairly stark difference to the Barnett years when they were riding protesters down on horseback

Amusing the cops starting to work with other unions.

I did go and look it up;

Website posted:

Constable: $64,921 - $81,067
Senior Constable: $81,067 - $99,160

Other benefits include:

6 weeks recreation leave per year
13 weeks long service leave after 10 years of service

So starting out at median Australia salary (~$1,250/wk) with decent conditions and up from there, especially if you are happy to live outside the city so on top of a premium, the living costs are lower as well. Not so shabby. Not sure if a pensions are available for the police like in the old days but the super scheme is very good in any event.

So I think it comes back to how are they gate-keeping the roles? I assume minimum heights have gone but are they expecting great OP score or something?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I am mad, apparently there was an anti-vax/pro-russia protest in the city and I didn't get a chance to call them dumb loving shitheads.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Amusing the cops starting to work with other unions.

I did go and look it up;

So starting out at median Australia salary (~$1,250/wk) with decent conditions and up from there, especially if you are happy to live outside the city so on top of a premium, the living costs are lower as well. Not so shabby. Not sure if a pensions are available for the police like in the old days but the super scheme is very good in any event.

So I think it comes back to how are they gate-keeping the roles? I assume minimum heights have gone but are they expecting great OP score or something?

I don't think they are gate-keeping the roles? Cops can't get workers comp from memory, so when they get shot/stabbed/bashed/stressed out then they're hosed.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Good on the government for dissuading people from becoming cops.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heh, all those years of trying to play up how Death Wish movie are real and cops need to be constantly prepared to Survive Edged Weapons backfires.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Konomex posted:

Cops can't get workers comp from memory, so when they get shot/stabbed/bashed/stressed out then they're hosed.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah naaaaaaaah

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Konomex posted:

I don't think they are gate-keeping the roles? Cops can't get workers comp from memory, so when they get shot/stabbed/bashed/stressed out then they're hosed.

What the loving gently caress is this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm actually surprised. Do American cops, the privileged enforcer class, have generous health plans for injuries and trauma?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pleasant Friend posted:

I am mad, apparently there was an anti-vax/pro-russia protest in the city and I didn't get a chance to call them dumb loving shitheads.

it was an anti-vax protest that a bunch of paid for Russian fascists co-opted by putting Z and Russian flags up everywhere a camera was pointing, so that the footage could be used in Russian propaganda.

I too am disappointed I missed it, burning Russian flags while cookers fight fascists would have been grand.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm actually surprised. Do American cops, the privileged enforcer class, have generous health plans for injuries and trauma?

Police have access to work cover.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Konomex posted:

Cops very much get workers comp.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No they don't cops aren't workers

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Konomex posted:

I don't know if it was "workers comp" as such but my sister's piece of poo poo ex husband was a NSWPOL highway patrol cop and got a massive payout because he had "mental anguish" from seeing dead bodies.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The police unions have the influence, power and density that even the ANF and teacher's unions wouldn't dare to dream about.

Even if they were somehow excluded from WorkCover, you goddamn better believe they'd be taken care of via other means... Consider the behaviour of the AFP during the Abbott thru Morrison governments, then imagine if either party actually tried to mess with cop benefits? There'd be bags of MDMA showing up in "surprise raids" of ministers offices before lunch time.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

My sister started out as a soldier (served in Timor), then a nurse and most recently in the AFP. You better believe working conditions and things like stress leave are loving unbelievably good in the AFP versus being a returned serviceperson or a nurse. For her, getting an AFP job has been like winning the lottery. To be fair, I understand the State coppers don't have it anywhere near as good.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I am specifically speaking of WA, Barnett was mentioned so I thought it would be relavent. My cousin was a young cop, got injured, did not get workers comp. Had to quit and get a different career. Seems they put a scheme into place a year ago, but it's not workers comp. It's specifically for cops who can't keep working due to injuries, but its a separate thing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Konomex posted:

I am specifically speaking of WA, Barnett was mentioned so I thought it would be relavent. My cousin was a young cop, got injured, did not get workers comp. Had to quit and get a different career. Seems they put a scheme into place a year ago, but it's not workers comp. It's specifically for cops who can't keep working due to injuries, but its a separate thing.

You can literally google the answer my guy, from memory it's typically more generous than standard workers compensation.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Sounds like someones cousin lied. Weird.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Can someone google it because I'm too lazy to but I would like to know <:mad:>

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

Can someone google it because I'm too lazy to but I would like to know <:mad:>

"Hey Google, search for 'Konomex's cousins lies'"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Kooyong Forever! 🙅‍♀️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

the kooyong forever quote that's going around is fake and idk why anyone felt the need to make it up when there is plenty of ridiculous stuff that's really in the affidavit