Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

mixing some of your single malt scotch with orange juice, to sip on while i wait for the wagyu to be done

wonder why i'm not invited back

It's not the scotch, whiskey sucks and I'm glad it's gone.

You know what you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah like if you're having dinner with your fellow plumber buddy you don't loudly talk about the giant wad of hair and fat you had to fight to yank out of a drain and how it smelled and the sound it made when it finally came loose.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Captain Hygiene posted:

A NEW FOOD CONUNDRUM APPROACHES

AITA for buying lower grade steaks when my in-laws visit and serving my mom and dad Wagyu.

I can see the complaint about not acting the same way on both sides, but it would definitely rub me the wrong way to get a pricier food and then cook it in a way that's just gonna bring it back down to the same level as less expensive stuff.

The guy's first impulse is not wrong, but I think a way of 'making it up' to the inlaws is to treat them to things that they'd appreciate, such as maybe some really nice whiskey after the dinner, or something. Put similar effort in, but just in different ways.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Captain Hygiene posted:

A NEW FOOD CONUNDRUM APPROACHES

AITA for buying lower grade steaks when my in-laws visit and serving my mom and dad Wagyu.

I can see the complaint about not acting the same way on both sides, but it would definitely rub me the wrong way to get a pricier food and then cook it in a way that's just gonna bring it back down to the same level as less expensive stuff.

Would it...steak rub you the wrong way? I'd stake a wager that's the case. Or maybe they could meat in the middle.

oh my god, this is my BIL. The only time I cooked a holiday dinner for my large family, I made prime rib that I had to reserve, it cost me like $150 and it turned out a perfect medium rare and was so succulent. All the rest of the dishes were restaurant quality as I spent a few years in university learning to cook 1:1 from a kind and excellent chef in a small but quality family owned French restaurant.

So I make this beautiful meal (ricing enough mashed potatoes for 22 people) and I carve the roast, serving to every member of the family the amount they want. My BIL looks at his slice and then grabs his and all of his family's plates, takes them to the microwave, and microwaves them to a grey pallor as the rest of the family sheepishly passed bowls and plates around. I have not spoken to him in ten years (That's not why, he also wrote ALL LIVES MATTER repeatedly in response to a post supporting a forthcoming BLM rally in my city while I was dating a black person)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Serephina posted:

The guy's first impulse is not wrong, but I think a way of 'making it up' to the inlaws is to treat them to things that they'd appreciate, such as maybe some really nice whiskey after the dinner, or something. Put similar effort in, but just in different ways.
I understand what you're saying here but at the same time find the suggestion that people that like overdone steaks are also going to care about nice whiskey hilarious

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pirate Radar posted:

In a way he is treating them the same: giving them what they want. The price difference issue could be solved without wasting good beef by buying her parents the cheap steaks they want, then taking the difference in price between the good steak and the cheap steak and ceremonially burning that money on the grill.

A commenter suggested that there might be something they liked that wasn't overcooked: lobster tails, that sort of thing. Quit serving them steaks, serve them something else luxurious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh yeah, I definitely think the best solution is to work with something that fits their tastes without wasting extra money. I dunno if that's lobster tails and whisky, but I'm sure there's something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oxycodone.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna just say meth.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
WIBTA for selling a house instead of giving it away?

quote:

WIBTA if I sold a home that I inherited to my cousin, who has been living in it and fixing it up for a few years now? My dad guilted me into letting my cousin live in it for free for several years now because my cousin doesn’t have much and wants me to just deed the property to my cousin. My cousin has made a lot of improvements to the house ($26k supposedly). My husband thinks it’s unfair that I am just supposed to give this property away, when there are several things we would like to do to our own home with the money.

Here’s where I feel guilty… my dad already told my cousin he could have the property before my cousin started fixing it up. Supposedly my cousin has put pretty much all of his money into it. I feel if I don’t just give them the house, then they put their money into it under false pretenses when they may have used that money elsewhere. But also they haven’t paid rent for several years so I could consider that as a form of rent. To be fair, I would subtract the amount of work they’ve put into it from the sell price.

My dad is mad and has been sending me on guilt trips ever since. He said he won’t go back on his word and he’ll end up just buying it himself and having to pay for it so my cousin can still live there for free. My husband is adamant that my cousin is not my problem, and I do agree, but still I feel guilty.

ETA: my dad swears I agreed to give the house to my cousin, which I don’t remember. He said I agreed my cousin could have it if they paid to have the land (25acres) surveyed and the house separated from the land. Either way, this was never completed and I still own all of it as one property.

tell your dad that he agreed to be dunked in the acid vat

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

vaginal warmth maintenance routine

Reading this and the steaks thing in bed and can only think of "pussy sous vide"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ow. Ow ow ow.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Barudak posted:

Buy an electric bicycle and kill this tedious conversation about a dying technology

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Buy any loving reasonable method of transportation because I’m not going to begrudge anyone for trying to fuckin live at this point and kill this tedious conversation about a dying subject

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

WIBTA for selling a house instead of giving it away?

tell your dad that he agreed to be dunked in the acid vat

LOL They didn't even finish THAT MUCH? They didn't even buy the drat survey! They went through that dumb probable-lie and didn't even get that poo poo done, amazing.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

AITA for not letting my daughters go on a trip during my wedding week?

quote:

I'll keep it short and sweet.

I'm getting married to my fiance in a few months. I have two girls, 16 and 14, with my ex.

My ex wanted to book a trip to NYC with my daughters, which sounds fine but is the week of my wedding. We're having a child free wedding but I still want my girls to be around leading up to it, supporting me and helping. I talked to him and said they can go to NYC another week, but not this one.

My daughters are angry with me, I tried to explain to them I understand they want to go but they can literally go any other time. This is my wedding. My 16 year old is refusing to talk to me and 14 year old has followed suit.

I've got a couple of people telling me I'm wrong and selfish for not letting them go.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dazerbeams posted:

They're not allowed to my wedding, but I want them there to sit at home during it!

vvv LOL incredible

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 3, 2023

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dazerbeams posted:

It gets even better in the comments:

OP posted:

They were invited to the dinner but they said no (even before the trip came up). I won't be making them "do things for me all week", but just to be there for support. My 16 year old is making a lot of the decorations (yes I'll be paying her. I also didn't force her to do anything for me, but she's very good at decor/art and the wedding is Moulin Rouge themed, which is her favorite movie, and she's happy making the decorations).

I know my ex picked this week on purpose, they can even go to NYC the day after the wedding if they want but no.

The daughter is the one doing the decorating. For a wedding themed around her favorite movie. That she's then forbidden to attend.

No poo poo your ex picked this week on purpose; that's exactly the sort of thing a parent should do when their kids are getting shat on like this.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
AITA for calling my girlfriend boring?

quote:

My (29M) girlfriend (25F) have been together for a little over 5 years. She’s rather introverted and doesn’t drink or enjoy going out. She’d rather stay in and watch a movie or go to a nice dinner. I don’t mind doing this sometimes, but sometimes I feel like it would be nice to have some drinks with my girlfriend. It feels like all she does is go to work, work on her dissertation, go to the gym, and sleep.

The other night I convinced her to go out to some bars. After a while she agreed but said she was tired from work and school, so she only wanted to go out for a little while. I was fine with this, but the entire time we were out she was entirely sober, acting pissed off and it was honestly not fun to be around. I got annoyed and told her her energy was bad and she said it was just because she was tired but she was enjoying the music (it didn’t look like it at all). We left after a couple of hours, normally when I’m with friends I like to stay out until 2-3am.

The next morning I brought up how she was acting and suggested the next time we go out that she has just one drink to loosen up a bit and maybe it’ll be more fun for her. I also said that I feel weird being the only one getting drunk and that it sucks drinkng alone. She disagreed and got mad at me saying that I need grow up and that drinking and partying aren’t everything. I’ll admit that I’ve gone overboard going out with friends in the past and it’s led to arguments that I regrettably don’t remember, but I’ve been depressed and going out is one thing that makes me feel better.

I jokingly asked her when she got so boring and she snapped at me saying that she would rather save up for a nice vacation or go to a music festival/concerts or a nice, expensive dinner. These things are out of my budget and a vacation is only a once or twice a year thing anyway. And, when we do go on vacation she’d rather do boring touristy stuff like go to museums or sight see. I told her that I don’t think I can give her the life she wants and is used to (she had a very wealthy upbringing) and she called me an rear end in a top hat and has been acting cold ever since. So, AITA?

TLDR: my girlfriend doesn’t like going out or drinking. I jokingly called her boring and now she is mad at me.

Edit: I didn’t expect for this to take off so fast. I just wanted to add some info clarifying some things. We do have quite a bit in common overall - we met at a music festival and share a love for music. When we first started dating when she was still in undergrad we would go to concerts frequently and had a lot of fun. We have the same goofy sense of humor, we both like fitness and video games. We both like the travel, but like I said I can’t afford it right now. She is used to going on luxurious vacations abroad with her family that cost $10-30k and I can’t offer the same.

I do love and care about her, which is why I want to go out with HER. Only going out with friends all the time is not the same. I originally liked how opposite we were because I felt like she brought balance to my life that I needed, but as I’m nearing 30 I regret not doing more in my 20’s and I’m scared of wasting time not having fun.

I admit that my word choice was stupid and while I was joking, it wasn’t perceived that way.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ah going to museums and sight seeing, two incredibly expensive and luxurious things that he can't possibly give her

Dump his rear end yesterday girl, DICAP

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dress Codes do indeed suck. But, as described above, there is always some bastard who continually comes to work in a stained Dragonball Z T-shirt and sandals. And when asked to maybe dress a little nicer, they ask if they are breaking any rules. which forces management to make a formal dress code that is always more stringent and arbitrary than it needs be.

And this leads to further bullshit rules lawyering as the same guy comes to work in a Hawaiian shirt and cravat, ("What?? The rules say a collared shirt and a tie. I am following the rules to the letter." All of which could have been avoided if everyone used an ounce of common sense and dressed for work.

My old boss came to work in five fingers shoes once and we bullied him so much he never wore them again

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

The password is "alcoholism" but, Keke, I thought the rules were they could only share one word with me as the clue?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

abigserve posted:

My old boss came to work in five fingers shoes once and we bullied him so much he never wore them again

What kind of idiot wears five finger shoes on their feet

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA For Calling the Cops on an Off Duty Paramedic who was Drinking in my Uncle's Bar

quote:

For context, I help out in my uncle's bar on Fridays and Saturdays, serving drinks and taking orders. This story took place, this past Saturday. There was a [redacted] Fire Department Paramedic at my uncle's [redacted] bar. I noticed him, in his uniform, drinking a beer. I (38M) was behind the bar, filling a tray for one of my tables, when I saw the man in his uniform. The Paramedic, I guess a (22 or 23M), was drinking a beer and looking at his phone. My first thought was that he was on break and waiting for his station chief (or whatever the term is) to ask him to return to the station. Below, is an excerpt from the dialogue.

OP: Excuse me sir, I see you are in your uniform. It is illegal for, anyone, to drink alcohol when they are on duty, whether they are on break or not.

Paramedic: I am off duty, and relaxing before I go home for the night.

OP: I see you are, still, in your uniform and that you are looking at your phone. As far as I know, you could be on break. Would you want your superiors to know that you drink in bars, while in uniform?

Paramedic: Normally, I change after I get off. Tonight, I happened to forget civilian clothes, so I remained in uniform. I can promise you, I am off duty.

OP: How do I know you are saying this to cover up your drinking on the job? I see, zero, evidence that proves that you are off duty. I am going to, to preserve my uncle's liquor license, ask you to give me your half-full glass. If you can provide evidence that you are off duty, I will return your drink.

Paramedic: I will be finishing my beer, thank you very much. And, I will be drinking four shot, before I go home.

OP: If you do not give me your glass, I will be forced to call [redacted] police and report you for, illegally, drinking, while on duty.

After I said, the Paramedic walked out of the bar and left his drink. He paid, so I couldn't call him out for theft. But I feel like I am the rear end in a top hat for causing an honest man to leave my uncle's bar, on false pretenses. I feel like I might be the rear end in a top hat, for threatening to call the cops on a civil servant. And, I definitely feel like I am the rear end in a top hat for screwing my uncle out of a regular customer. The last part remains to be seen. So Reddit, am I the rear end in a top hat?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

abigserve posted:

I skimmed this until I saw a reply and realized I read it wrong, I thought you bullied him out of "five figure" shoes. Like massively expensive shoes. That seemed perfectly legit to me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Have you seen vibram five finger shoes? loving swirlie that nerd

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Checked her comments and the person she was mocking was a CLIENT

An intern was publicly mocking the outfit a client for their company was wearing

I doubt she works in that industry anymore

The policing through bullying AND the total denial of responsibility bc 'how could I know???' is very Southern. They're a folk who talk a big game about personal responsibility, but they mean it for thee, not for me, specifically bc they don't want to be bothered.

I went looking, to see what the comments were saying, and the post is from a year ago and OP deleted the original text. Doesn't help, since the post is still there and the bot still has the unedited original.

Good lord, that's worse than I thought, though; I had assumed that this was a person who outranked the OP. Mocking a client, and expecting them to introduce themselves to the crop of summer interns, is absolutely wild and OP definitely blew any chance she had to get hired by this place.

Mx. posted:

AITA for not wanting my sick stepdaughter to get whatever she wants cause it's not fair to my kids

"She'll survive it, so why should I bother being nice to her? It's not like she has cancer-cancer."

Jfc, what an rear end in a top hat.

Kenshin posted:

:lol: why does the wife even care, it's not like her parents have noticed the difference

"please waste money on my parents"

The wife cares because she assumes her parents are being snubbed by not getting the Fancy Expensive meat his parents are treated to. When her parents definitely haven't even noticed, because these are people who want shoe leather steaks.

Pirate Radar posted:

In a way he is treating them the same: giving them what they want. The price difference issue could be solved without wasting good beef by buying her parents the cheap steaks they want, then taking the difference in price between the good steak and the cheap steak and ceremonially burning that money on the grill.

Basically, yeah. Or spending the difference in price on something fancy that they would appreciate.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA For Calling the Cops on an Off Duty Paramedic who was Drinking in my Uncle's Bar
YTA for making me have to read that and being a whiny mofo who can't wrap their head around the idea of someone not immediately shucking out of their uniform when the shift ends. Also for thinking that someone is going to spend their break going to a bar, instead of eating or taking a nap.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Can you even lose your license if you're selling alcohol to a consenting adult? Is that a thing anywhere on this planet?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I glanced at this guy's account to look for his replies and wow. He posted in /r/entitledpeople. He posts in there A LOT.

Entitled Paramedic Thinks He can Disrespect Me. Get's Ruined.

quote:

For.context, this is a follow-on to a story I posted on r/AmItheAsshole earlier. For the context, read that story. This story is an add-on to that story, with new information that I just learned since posting the story.

The paramedic in that story showed up at my uncle's bar, today, while he was on dinner break. According to my uncle, the guy tried to order a Royal Crown and Coke while wearing his uniform and on call with his partner. This paramedic was dumb enough to have his cellphone on speaker, and my uncle heard the partner say, "Don't serve my partner alcohol while he is on break." My uncle took a picture of the paramedic and sent it to me for confirmation that it was the same guy from my story, which I confirmed. He was asked to leave but refused. My uncle called the paramedic's supervisor, a high school friend of my uncle's, and complained. The supervisor showed up and dragged the paramedic out of the bar.

The paramedic is, now, on administrative leave for six weeks. Apparently, he is a multiple.time offender and has refused every disciplinary correction that has been issued. So, AITA for getting a bad apple, possibly, fired?

he is getting destroyed in the replies, where he says things like how Joe Biden's win is illegitimate and insults people by saying they play Fortnite. He's also mad about mask mandates.

This is from some cheating subreddit, this is the kind of thing we're dealing with.

quote:

You're talking to someone with a Psych degree. I can tell you, from my Psych studies, that there is no lack of discipline here. This a case where OP needs to reassert her or himself in the dominant role in his or her partner's life. If OP was my partner, I would expect him or her (I am guessing her,) to fight to keep me, as I would do the same. 60% of cheaters cheat, because they feel like their partners don't care enough to keep them around, don't feel satisfied with their own relationship. That is not the cheater's fault. At the then end of the day, they want to have stability, just like everyone else. If they aren't getting it at home, they will look for it elsewhere. It is up to the partner to give it to them.

He posted some super fake thing about a ~homosexual~ manager restricting maternity leave and how everyone said how great and not homophobic he was to the evil gay man. God, this guy is a committed poo poo-maker-upper.

I wonder what el- OH Incest RP, okay, running away now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Christ what a little Eichmann

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ReelBigLizard posted:

Can you even lose your license if you're selling alcohol to a consenting adult? Is that a thing anywhere on this planet?

Rhetorical question, or are you unaware of how liquor licenses work? I've never heard of such a thing from mister can't-sell-to-uniforms, but neither do I live where he does.

edit, content:

my 'friend' (22M) is changing his course in college and i'm thinking if i should talk to him for the last time (20F)

quote:

so i liked this guy 2 years ago, we were classmates but in a different class so we rarely got to meet. but 2 years ago we had to do something as a group so we bonded and we are kinda friends , like friends in college, we don’t really talk privately.

he’s pretty quiet, doesnt post on social media (i don’t have his instagram, only a chatting app), he’s probably an introvert and doesn’t have A LOT of friends like some people do. again, he’s really quiet.

he’s changing college because something happened during his internship and it was pretty sudden, he has good grades and is good at it, so something bad must have happened that made him want to change after 3 years in this course.

i’m very sad to learn about this and also when i realized we are not crossing paths again…i also just learned that i still kinda have a crush on him, tho we haven’t talked in 2 years, i’m thinking if it’s weird to approach him so suddenly and ask him what happened at the internship and wheres he changing to? i really want to talk to him and kinda see him for the last time. we didn’t really have anything going on, it’s a one sided crush, but i’m not confessing or anything, i just want to talk to him the last time. will it be weird if a girl who hasn’t talked to you in over two years approached you and ask about your private matters?

i’ve been thinking about this for over two days, it’s all over my mind. need some advice.

tl;dr my ‘friend’ is leaving and i’m too nervous to talk to him for the last time
Keep not-talking to boys, chica. I'm sure that'll net you a bf any day now!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 3, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Midnight Voyager posted:

quote:

It feels like all she does is go to work, work on her dissertation, go to the gym, and sleep.

Basically anyone I know who has written a disseration had to put their lives on hold and drop off the face of the Earth when the deadline approached.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReelBigLizard posted:

Sure, if the adult is already clearly wasted there are places where you’re not supposed to continue serving them. I don’t think that’s this situation.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for calling my girlfriend prissy over a small issue?

quote:

I(25M) recently took my girlfriend(26F) out to eat and meet with my family. We went to a casual restaurant where my girlfriend could meet my family for the first time in a low stress environment

Now, one thing you should know about my family is that me and my brother(14M) are very close. I taught him how to ride a bike, I helped him with his homework, I taught him his letters. If it came down to it, I would take his side over my girlfriend's in a heartbeat.

My girlfriend ordered a burger and some fries and a milkshake. Now, my brother and I usually do this thing where we jokingly steal each other's food. It's a sign of bonding, so my brother stole a couple of my girlfriend's fries and dipped it in the milkshake. She was turned around talking to my mom and then saw him pop the fries in his mouth.

As I saw him do that, I was going to gently admonish him, but to my surprise, my girlfriend puts her finger in his face, and starts harshly scolding him, about how what he did was "incredibly rude and disrespectful", how he "ruined" her food, and how she doesn't want some kid to steal her food.

At this point, I was seeing red. I told her to knock it off, that we do it all the time to each other, and to stop being so prissy, like it's just food.

When we got home, we had a pretty big fight, and as of this morning, my girlfriend is staying over at her best friend's place, and left me all alone in our apartment. I'm not really sure what just happened, but her best friend called me to tell me that I was a big jerk in this situation, and I'm starting to feel kinda bad.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ReelBigLizard posted:

UK licence laws, like poster above said if someone is clearly smashed off their tits the you have a duty of care to stop serving them, however in practice this only happens in a few places because we're a trash island full of binge drinkers.

The only other way I can think is if you're selling closed containers for people to take away without having the "off licence" part of the overall licence. Even then, it's a very rarely enforced thing because who even gives a poo poo if someone wants to take a couple of bottles of beer home to carry on drinking.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Every state in the USA has its own drinking laws and some municipalities add on to those. I don’t know the jurisdiction of the op, but being in a place where it is statutorily against the rules for on duty people to drink isn’t unrealistic. Likewise, serving people in violation of the rule could jeopardize an ability to serve.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

teen witch posted:

hi, this is an awful approach, you gotta stop that or you’re risking HR involvement because that attitude is a liability. call people by their drat name, or they’ll call you an ambulance.

love,
someone who gets these “fun little nicknames” for her actual name

Well it was like 8 years ago so it really doesn't matter. Also the guy sucks for reasons other than demanding to be called Michael. Really at the time I think a response of "oh I do actually prefer Michael" would have been fine and I would have apologized.. I don't remember his exact words back but it was needlessly pissy.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 3, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

AceClown posted:

UK licence laws, like poster above said if someone is clearly smashed off their tits the you have a duty of care to stop serving them, however in practice this only happens in a few places because we're a trash island full of binge drinkers.

The only other way I can think is if you're selling closed containers for people to take away without having the "off licence" part of the overall licence. Even then, it's a very rarely enforced thing because who even gives a poo poo if someone wants to take a couple of bottles of beer home to carry on drinking.

So I've worked in UK bars and dealt with licensing applications. I know that's the deal. What I'm asking is if there's some nearly dry county like Still-pointes-at-airplanes, Ohio where they are decorum pilled so hard you legally can't have a drink in a work uniform lest it tarnishes the good name of your office.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ReelBigLizard posted:

So I've worked in UK bars and dealt with licensing applications. I know that's the deal. What I'm asking is if there's some nearly dry county like Still-pointes-at-airplanes, Ohio where they are decorum pilled so hard you legally can't have a drink in a work uniform lest it tarnishes the good name of your office.

It doesn’t take a nearly dry place in the USA to have alcohol rules that seem odd elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ascii genitals posted:

Well it was like 8 years ago so it really doesn't matter. Also the guy sucks for reasons other than demanding to be called Michael. Really at the time I think a response of "oh I do actually prefer Michael" would have been fine and I would have apologized.. I don't remember his exact words back but it was needlessly pissy.

i think people are allowed to be pissy about their own names but i admit: i am biased bc i'm trans and get deadnamed. however i still support this dude's right to be "pissy" in your eyes about being called a name he doesn't like even if he's cis or whatever. i think names are important and you should get over yourself