Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Like that Norwegian island where they give you alcohol ration tickets. As an islander that actually makes a lot of sense and would have probably done a lot to improve the home lives of many people I went to school with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ascii genitals posted:

Well it was like 8 years ago so it really doesn't matter. Also the guy sucks for reasons other than demanding to be called Michael. Really at the time I think a response of "oh I do actually prefer Michael" would have been fine and I would have apologized.. I don't remember his exact words back but it was needlessly pissy.

You realize that they’ve likely dealt with people like you, constantly. For you, it was an irritating moment 8 years ago, but for them it was Tuesday. He isn’t demanding to be called Michael to be lovely, he’s demanding it because that’s his name.

Sometimes you learn things the hard way, and I hope you have learned.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
AITA for leaving a wedding to eat at McDonald's?

quote:

Hi, I'm F25.

Recently, my colleague (F31) invited me to her wedding, which happened yesterday. I was super excited and happy for her. Just in case, I asked her if there was any guest fees - she said "No, you don't need to pay me anything".

On the day itself, everything went well until it the reception (dinner time). To my shock, I was presented with a wedding menu that had prices on it. (For example: Steak ---- $50) Everything was ridiculously expensive, including the vegetarian options.

At first, I wanted to question her because well, she lied to me that I didn't have to pay for anything. But it was her wedding and I didn't want to spoil her day by embarrassing her in front of everyone.

However, the only other option was to simply not eat, as I didn't bring enough money for both a meal and a ride back. But this was completely unfavourable as I had skipped my lunch to 'save space' for the wedding meal and was pretty hungry.

Suddenly, I remembered that I saw a McDonald's about five minutes away from the hotel. As tactfully as I could, I asked the bride if I could make a quick stop to McDonald's as I didn't bring enough money for the reception meal. I said that I'd be back in time for the gift ceremony and cake.

I thought she'd agree, but to my horror - she got really upset. She said that she put in so much effort to get this "Michelin-star restaurant service" yet I still wasn't happy. That I was trying to bring her down by saying that I'd rather eat McDonald's.

Alarmed, I said that I didn't mean it that way - I just didn't have the cash for it. She then scoffed, saying - "Who's fault is that?"

Although I was trying to keep in my anger, those words really pissed me off, so I told her "You were the one who lied that I didn't need to pay anything!"

Getting angry as well, she replied: "What I meant was there is no attendance fee! You literally assumed that you'd get a free five-course dinner. Wow, you're cheaper than I thought!" With a glare, she asked me to leave her wedding. I did, struckdumb and rather hurt.

(...And on my way home, I grabbed a Big Mac lol)

Back at home, I told my boyfriend everything and asked if I was an rear end in a top hat. He thought it was a funny story but said I was an AH - if I didn't have the money I could always pay her back later. In his exact words, he said "You chose the wrong time to be stingy".

My other friends agree as well, saying that it was not tactful of me for doing that at the wedding - and although she lied, I should have just brushed it off instead of dampening her happy spirits.

After hearing their opinions, I felt quite guilty and embarrassed. However, that one little part of me still thinks that it's justified because 1) she lied to me, and 2) publicly humiliated me.

Please help me out. AITA?

How fuckin' cheap do you have to be, or how large is the guest list, that you have to buy your own meal at a wedding?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
When capitalism finally kills the world and burns down society the only currency we will have left is who we are as individuals*. Don't gently caress with people's identity, even if they are a prick.

*and fuel probably idk

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

DoubleNegative posted:

How fuckin' cheap do you have to be, or how large is the guest list, that you have to buy your own meal at a wedding?

Whoa there let's not scream on past boyfriend and mutuals helpful input at the end there. We've got more acid vat capacity than ever and it's growing every day.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Who the gently caress even has a five-course dinner at a wedding? Even if you're richer than Satan and have refined friends, the guests aren't there for the service, they're there to chat loudly and have a party.

Also yes who the gently caress has a reception at a sit-down restaurant with prices, wtc.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I'm bad at being rude so people deadname me a lot. Luckily I have managed to trick a few people into thinking my deadname is Gurt thanks to some well placed comments by my transphobic but prank appreciating dad

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah good idea bf, I'm sure the bride would've been fine paying for the guests $75 meal for an I.O.U.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mr. Nice! posted:

Every state in the USA has its own drinking laws and some municipalities add on to those. I don’t know the jurisdiction of the op, but being in a place where it is statutorily against the rules for on duty people to drink isn’t unrealistic. Likewise, serving people in violation of the rule could jeopardize an ability to serve.

Serving laws in the US are strictly CYA and if I still worked in the industry I would never serve someone in a paramedic or police uniform, period.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Meanwhile my supervisor used to drive to the liquor store when it opened, in uniform, in the ambulance, on our way to our staging area, to buy a bottle most shifts i worked with him. I don't remember him ever drinking while on duty though, to be fair.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

endocriminologist posted:

I'm bad at being rude so people deadname me a lot. Luckily I have managed to trick a few people into thinking my deadname is Gurt thanks to some well placed comments by my transphobic but prank appreciating dad

You’re living in 3023, that’s brilliant

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ravenfood posted:

Meanwhile my supervisor used to drive to the liquor store when it opened, in uniform, in the ambulance, on our way to our staging area, to buy a bottle most shifts i worked with him. I don't remember him ever drinking while on duty though, to be fair.

Dude at the liquor store had no sense of self- preservation

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for calling my girlfriend prissy over a small issue?

Okay whose milkshake was it?

I get the kid is 14 and still learning what's appropriate with people outside the immediate family in terms of food, because we've had plenty of posts of people that just taken to your meals thinking it's fine, but it really depends to me if the kid dunked the stolen fries in his own milkshake or the girlfriends.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReelBigLizard posted:

So I've worked in UK bars and dealt with licensing applications. I know that's the deal. What I'm asking is if there's some nearly dry county like Still-pointes-at-airplanes, Ohio where they are decorum pilled so hard you legally can't have a drink in a work uniform lest it tarnishes the good name of your office.

Oh okay. Yeah maybe then, but I don’t know of any places with that rule off the top of my head.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I get the kid is 14 and still learning what's appropriate with people outside the immediate family in terms of food, because we've had plenty of posts of people that just taken to your meals thinking it's fine, but it really depends to me if the kid dunked the stolen fries in his own milkshake or the girlfriends.

If I did that at 14 I’d still be grounded now.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I used to work at a hotel and it usually had pilots from our tiny airport stay overnight at. Though the rules were they weren't supposed to drink for 12 hours before a flight it wasn't uncommon for them to have a beer or a shot or two at the bar.

Until one night a pilot mad about something (I think he didn't get some requested leave) got fall down shitfaced at the bar. He was basically carried to his room at 2am by Night Security. About 5am I get a call from the airport asking if I'd seen him because he hadn't reported in yet. I'm usually not a snitch but I straight up told them there was no way he should be flying. JFC.

He never showed up again so I assume he got fired. A couple months after that Alaska Airlines stopped staying at our hotel and moved to a different one without a bar.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think from context it's the gfs, since he mentions her ordering one and nothing about what the brother got. So urgh, I'd've gone off on one at the filthy little git too. Stealing fries is maybe just side-eye worthy but dipped in my goddamn milkshake is rank.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr. Nice! posted:

It doesn’t take a nearly dry place in the USA to have alcohol rules that seem odd elsewhere.

Also, the two 911 EMS agencies I’ve worked for, and all the local ones in the area, forbid drinking while wearing any agency-identifying clothing at all, not just uniforms. These are local government-run systems in the US, so it may be different elsewhere.

Meanwhile, cops and firefighters get a pass on that kind of poo poo.

Dude does seem to have an axe to grind—maybe a sleepy, drunk medic hosed his wife.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

LeeMajors posted:

Also, the two 911 EMS agencies I’ve worked for, and all the local ones in the area, forbid drinking while wearing any agency-identifying clothing at all, not just uniforms. These are local government-run systems in the US, so it may be different elsewhere.

Dude does seem to have an axe to grind—maybe a sleepy, drunk medic hosed his wife.

OP is an rear end in a top hat for their posting history, but if you ever serve anyone in uniform, that's on you. And you will face dire consequences if they gently caress up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MrQwerty posted:

Serving laws in the US are strictly CYA and if I still worked in the industry I would never serve someone in a paramedic or police uniform, period.

In some states, like Texas, the liability for a lot of liquor laws is shifted from the establishment onto the workers themselves. When you're facing personal fines for infringement, you get a lot stricter in enforcement of rules.

LeeMajors posted:

No doubt he seems like he's got a grudge. The story isn't implausible, though, because USA local liquor laws can be draconian as gently caress.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Darkhold posted:

Until one night a pilot mad about something (I think he didn't get some requested leave) got fall down shitfaced at the bar. He was basically carried to his room at 2am by Night Security. About 5am I get a call from the airport asking if I'd seen him because he hadn't reported in yet. I'm usually not a snitch but I straight up told them there was no way he should be flying. JFC.

snitching is only bad if you're snitching on a fellow worker or someone in your similar position; if it's an authority figure whose actions could, say, kill an entire flight of people, you are beholden to snitch.

Don't snitch means don't betray your community to authorities for their corrupt intervention, not to never snitch on those in power.

you did good.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MrQwerty posted:

OP is an rear end in a top hat for their posting history, but if you ever serve anyone in uniform, that's on you. And you will face dire consequences if they gently caress up.

I mean, it’s honestly not a hard policy to follow. If you want to have a drink on the way home, toss on a jacket or bring a shirt. Otherwise, just wait.

Also, public service culture is weird. FD wouldn’t likely drink unless they were in full dress uniforms for an event, but occasionally wearing identifying t-shirts off-duty. But that kind of thing is heavily frowned upon with EMS for ~*~*~ReAsOnS~*~*~*~

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

In some states, like Texas, the liability for a lot of liquor laws is shifted from the establishment onto the workers themselves. When you're facing personal fines for infringement, you get a lot stricter in enforcement of rules.

No doubt he seems like he's got a grudge. The story isn't implausible, though, because USA local liquor laws can be draconian as gently caress.

Years ago I had a girlfriend that worked at a grocery store, at the service counter. If you wanted to buy cigarettes, you had to get them at the service counter. One woman had been coming in for a couple years to buy cigarettes at that store and the workers that recognized her stopped bothering to check her ID because they knew her by name and face and had checked her countless times.

Then one day after she bought cigarettes, a cop came back in with her and wrote up my girlfriend, because the girl was underage and had been using a fake ID the whole time. She got caught at some point so helped the cops "bust" some underpaid workers for, I guess, a reduced sentence or whatever.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The EMS guy also says “I’m gonna finish this beer, and then have four shots before I leave.” 5 drinks in under an hour is absolutely more than enough for the bartender to cut him off.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not taking my son to his favorite restaurant for his birthday since his mom fed him right before I picked him up.

quote:

My kid is very book smart. However sometimes he doesn't really make good decisions. So his mom or I help him out.

My ex has custody of him and I get to see him whenever he has time. Usually every weekend.

I had been saving up money to take him out for dinner at a steakhouse he loves. This isn't something we can do all the time. Unlike so many people in this sub I'm not a millionaire tech guy and I have never received an inheritance. For me spending this much money for a meal is a sacrifice. But he is worth it

I had spoken with his mom so she knew the plan. I had spoken with him and he was excited about going there for his birthday.

I went to pick him up at his mom and stepdad's house. When I got there I went in because we are all friendly that way.

He was finishing two grilled cheese sandwiches and a bowl of tomato soup.

I asked why he was eating since he knew we had a reservation for dinner. He said he was hungry so his mom made him food.

After we left I asked him if he was still hungry and he said he was stuffed.

So I called the restaurant and cancelled the reservation. We went to see a movie instead. He has room for soda and popcorn.

When I took him home his mom asked how dinner was and I told her we changed plans.

Now she is upset with me because I didn't follow through on taking him out like I said I would.

I think I made the right decision.

top comment is pointing out that OP's ex is probably pissed because she was looking forward to having steak

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

WIBTA for selling a house instead of giving it away?

tell your dad that he agreed to be dunked in the acid vat

Anyone else get the vibes that the “cousin” here is an affair baby? Why would a parent favor a niece or nephew over their own kid this much?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Runcible Cat posted:

I think from context it's the gfs, since he mentions her ordering one and nothing about what the brother got. So urgh, I'd've gone off on one at the filthy little git too. Stealing fries is maybe just side-eye worthy but dipped in my goddamn milkshake is rank.

From the sound of it I think it's possibly salvageable just talking to the kid like "I'm okay with that but you really shouldn't expect other people to be, everyone has their own boundaries."

14 year olds are prone to that kinda thing by default but being nice to them can be like the Androcles Lion. Especially since, frankly, a lot of people are usually incredibly arbitrary and bullshit to them for any reason.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Anyone else get the vibes that the “cousin” here is an affair baby? Why would a parent favor a niece or nephew over their own kid this much?

I guessed the OP was a woman (they mentioned a husband) and dad's a misogynistic rear end in a top hat who wants the house to go to someone who's going to carry on the family name. They could also be a married gay man and the dad could be a homophobic rear end in a top hat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not taking my son to his favorite restaurant for his birthday since his mom fed him right before I picked him up.

top comment is pointing out that OP's ex is probably pissed because she was looking forward to having steak

Op has replied that this is probably the case as his son almost always brings home leftovers so she's probably pre-feeding him cheap food so she can eat the expensive stuff.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Getting angry as well, she replied: "What I meant was there is no attendance fee! You literally assumed that you'd get a free five-course dinner. Wow, you're cheaper than I thought!"
Who the gently caress has an attendance fee for a wedding? I would "literally assume" that you just show up with a gift and get a meal because that's how every wedding I've ever attended works. At most, there might be a cost for parking/valet and possibly a cash bar.

If I was going to go out somewhere and pay for a nice steak, I'd go to a restaurant.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I do have to appreciate whatever it takes to be able to say "What are you, cheap?" to someone's face upon being called out for having all your guests pay for the food at your wedding.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i think they call it "chutzpah", OP

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I do have to appreciate whatever it takes to be able to say "What are you, cheap?" to someone's face upon being called out for having all your guests pay for the food at your wedding.

I guarantee OP wasn’t the only guest blindsided by having to pay for the meal.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
"The sheer audacity" is what I'm going with. Or "solid brass balls."

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If I'm being made to wear fancy clothes and give up a whole day to go to your stupid wedding you'd better loving feed me.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
If I turned up to a wedding and had to pay $50+ dollars for a meal you better believe I'm out of there.

And I'm keeping the bread maker I bought off their registry

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just start making that bread there and then, passing it out to hungry celebrants

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Just like Jesus really.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
better be making wine too, 'cuz you know they ain't got an open bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If we're already doing the Jesus thing just kill the bride and drain her.