Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

For the original trilogy, all you need to know is that Mario 1 was real, Mario 2 was a dream, and Mario 3 was a play.

I think you'll find that all got retconned in Mario All Stars where it was revealed that it was all a play and every character in the universe is just an actor. How else do you explain why they're all able to amicably participate in a no holds barred go kart race. All these games can be skipped. Dr. Mario is super important to canon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

My favorite Mario lore is that Wario was sad he didn't have a tennis partner so he hired an actor to play a villain, but the actor liked the role so much that he became Waluigi full time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zero mission owns. I’ve never played a game in my life for “the lore” because I’m not a freak.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite Other M lore is an entirely unsubstantiated rumor I heard; that Jennifer Hale was originally going to voice Samus, but the director absolutely hated that she kept sounding like someone keeping their emotions in check, rather than his artistic vision of a Samus who is entirely dead on the inside.

The greatest thing about Other M is Sakamoto and Reggie's absolutely baffled reaction to everyone hating it, they thought they'd made an absolute masterpiece of storytelling.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite Other M lore is an entirely unsubstantiated rumor I heard; that Jennifer Hale was originally going to voice Samus, but the director absolutely hated that she kept sounding like someone keeping their emotions in check, rather than his artistic vision of a Samus who is entirely dead on the inside.

sounds made-up tbqh

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

My favorite Mario lore is that Wario was sad he didn't have a tennis partner so he hired an actor to play a villain, but the actor liked the role so much that he became Waluigi full time.

I was not aware of this but it's cool af

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah probably that's why i prefaced it with "entirely unsubstantiated"

Everything about the voice direction of Other M, other than the end result, is rumors and hearsay for some reason.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Astro7x posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o-1bhvB1qk

Metroid Fusion!

Wasn’t this only available as an ambassador title?

Hell yeah, this was my fav metroid until dread did everything it did but better

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

American McGay posted:

Agreed. They should be skipping it because it’s the worst of the modern Metroids.

This isnt wrong (other then other m being way worse) but its still an 8/10 game imo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
U should probably play it before fusion since my muscle memory always fucks me over in super bc if how different wall jumping was

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o-1bhvB1qk

Metroid Fusion!

Wasn’t this only available as an ambassador title?

The scene where the SA-X walks in and the game ZOOMS IN on their face is one of the few horror moments in any game that always makes me go :stare:. I ain't fuckin' around with no evil Samus clone, I'm getting the gently caress OUT of there!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario

For the original trilogy, all you need to know is that Mario 1 was real, Mario 2 was a dream, and Mario 3 was a play.

For the more obscure bits of Mario history, PETA once made a crude Mario 3 parody game where "Mario" was wearing the skinned hide of real raccoons.

Because PETA for some reason thought the costumes in Super Mario Brothers 3 were made from real frogs and raccoons.

The game of course, was tasteless and awful.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Read After Burning posted:

I didn't know 2D Metroid games would cause so much dissent! Moral of this is that everyone likes 2 and Fusion, and will argue a lot over the others? :getin:

I don't need a dude telling me when I can use my heat visor or guns n' poo poo, if I've got it, I'm blasting! :blastu:

...Mods, I swear this is about video games!

Ruby Ridge? More like Ridley Ridge :haw:

If you have a 3DS, Samus Returns is a remake of II, so has the same Lore, but better controls and no lovely "need to backtrack through the entire map to swap beams because the GB only has 2 buttons" mechanic.

It's also very much a prototype of Dread, so you'll know what you're in for when you get to Dread.

Also, please play Dread. If the only thing holding you back from playing it is the EMMIs please play Dread. I swear you'll be fine.

But all the 2D Metroids from Super onwards are amazing games and worth playing. The first two are only worth it from a curiosity "How did we get here?" perspective.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

But all the 2D Metroids from Super onwards are amazing games and worth playing. The first two are only worth it from a curiosity "How did we get here?" perspective.

Except Other M. There is no merit to playing Other M. Watch the cutscenes on Youtube if you're really in the mood to psychologically hurt yourself for a few hours.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except Other M. There is no merit to playing Other M. Watch the cutscenes on Youtube if you're really in the mood to psychologically hurt yourself for a few hours.

Other M is not a 2D Metroid

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

wtf Other M isn't a 2D Metroid my dude. :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

wtf Other M isn't a 2D Metroid my dude. :confused:

Well 2.5D is close enough? :shrug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well 2.5D is close enough? :shrug:

It is very extremely not. When you're talking about 2D Metroids, you're talking about stuff like Super, Samus Returns, or Dread. 2D sidescrollers, neither of which Other M is. There is not a single person who would see "2D Metroid" and think "Other M" except you, apparently.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Other M is not a 2D Metroid

Silver Falcon posted:

It is very extremely not. When you're talking about 2D Metroids, you're talking about stuff like Super, Samus Returns, or Dread. 2D sidescrollers, neither of which Other M is. There is not a single person who would see "2D Metroid" and think "Other M" except you, apparently.

Jesus loving Christ. You all know what they meant for fucks sake.

That's the worst sort of sperglord hair splitting.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Jesus loving Christ. You all know what they meant for fucks sake.

That's the worst sort of sperglord hair splitting.

Pretty passionate about Other M huh?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I hate to break it to you, but that was a photoshop. The real lore, whatever it is, isn't nearly as interesting.

Bummed me out too. :smith:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hate to break it to you, but that was a photoshop. The real lore, whatever it is, isn't nearly as interesting.

Bummed me out too. :smith:

Canonically they're all actors playing characters (per Shigsy himself) so we can make it work.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 3, 2023

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Metroid fusion is the best metroid game

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People were so mad about Fusion having too much handholding back when it was new

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
an important caveat to "all 2d metroids are good" is that other m is, in fact, not good

otherwise it holds true

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Six years in an instant!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Wonder if we're ever going to get any more Snes games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think they make that console anymore, op

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
You guys remember when fusion got released...the same loving day as prime? How nuts was that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think they make that console anymore, op

doesn't stop people from making new games though

this game for example, can be bought for Switch, Steam or original SEGA Mega Drive cartridge, if you want

there are crazy people making new games constantly for all manner of old machines, consoles, home computers, they just never stop

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Plot idea for the next metroid:

Samus needs a night off so she goes to a space bar. She drinks a little too much and plays space poker. She loses her power suit in the game (she's in her civvies during the game, it's not strip space poker, perverts).

Now some poker cheater owns her suit so she has to take bounty missions to buy it back. He won't sell it to her all at once, he parts it out. $5000 space dollars for morph ball. $7000 for missles. $15000 for varia. He can't sell the grapple beam because Evil Corporation, Inc took it to reverse engineer, so she had to infiltrate to steal it back, sneakily.

Buy back your stuff in the order you want. In some cases you need to buy an upgrade to proceed (need ice beam to go to lava land and get the bounty there), in other cases it doesn't matter. Sometimes you have to revisit a planet with reacquired weapons to proceed. Over the course of the game some plot stuff happens so you need to fight some big bad guy at the end.

Eventually you have all your poo poo back and finish the game. Samus swears off booze

rox
Sep 7, 2016

play super because it rules and if you hate the physics and theyre not gelling, play zero mission because its the complete opposite and also rules

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Libluini posted:

this game for example, can be bought for Switch, Steam or original SEGA Mega Drive cartridge, if you want

there are crazy people making new games constantly for all manner of old machines, consoles, home computers, they just never stop

that's sick

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You guys remember when fusion got released...the same loving day as prime? How nuts was that

It had also been 8 years since the last Metroid game was released. It was insane to go so long & then release two amazing games.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gonna play Metroid Prime for the first time tonight.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Plot idea for the next metroid:

Samus needs a night off so she goes to a space bar. She drinks a little too much and plays space poker. She loses her power suit in the game (she's in her civvies during the game, it's not strip space poker, perverts).

Now some poker cheater owns her suit so she has to take bounty missions to buy it back. He won't sell it to her all at once, he parts it out. $5000 space dollars for morph ball. $7000 for missles. $15000 for varia. He can't sell the grapple beam because Evil Corporation, Inc took it to reverse engineer, so she had to infiltrate to steal it back, sneakily.

Buy back your stuff in the order you want. In some cases you need to buy an upgrade to proceed (need ice beam to go to lava land and get the bounty there), in other cases it doesn't matter. Sometimes you have to revisit a planet with reacquired weapons to proceed. Over the course of the game some plot stuff happens so you need to fight some big bad guy at the end.

Eventually you have all your poo poo back and finish the game. Samus swears off booze

Would never work, Samus would simply beat the poo poo out of the guy and get it back.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Wild to me we didn't get a metroid anything for N64. But then again it's wild to me we haven't gotten a Star Fox anything for Switch (besides that weird guest star role in that Ubisoft game.)

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Libluini posted:

The a-loving-mazing Celeste started as a PICO-8 game, and while the graphics and story have improved in the transition, the core is still very much the same. People enjoy the challenge and creativity brought out by restrictive environments.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

As long as everyone is fellating all things Metroid, please find and play AM2R. I had so much fun with it and it's a great take on the genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlphaKeny1 posted:

lol there is no dissent. saying you can safely skip super metroid because it isn't relevant to the timeline is a real bad take. super metroid literally defined the genre and is super unapologetic about it
Literally no one is saying "don't play Super Metroid". I'm just saying (and, admittedly something of a hot take) that if you made it until now without playing any of the 2D Metroids, and you're looking to play Fusion first for whatever reason, I'd probably give Metroid II, Fusion, and Dread a try in that order. Especially since II is a fairly short game.

Super and Fusion are very different games and play quite differently from each other, to the point that if you play Fusion immediately after Super you're going to walk away disappointed. Yes, I agree that Super was a seminal work that defined a genre, so that Fusion plays quite differently was a disappointment to a bunch of folks. But taken on its own terms, Fusion is also a fantastic game. Play Super afterwards, or whenever really.

Silver Falcon posted:

So, yes, Other M is technically a 3D game with a fixed camera (except in first-person view), but it uses d-pad controls and plays closer to the 2D titles. More importantly, there's a consistent through-line in development of the main/"2D" Metroid series, including Other M, from R&D1/Sakamoto whereas the first-person 3D Metroid games, the Prime series, were all done by Retro-studios under the guidance of Tanabe.

My take on this is that even Nintendo uses the excuse that Other M is "technically a 3D game" to exclude it from discussion of the 2D Metroid series, and it's not part of the Prime series and so obviously not discussed there either. Which enables Nintendo to pretend it no longer exists. Had it been a better game and much more well received you would definitely see discussion of it alongside Fusion and Dread.