Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Maybe I’m just dumb, but why would you want to put cables and remotes in a $100 bowl on your coffee table? Isn’t there a better place to put away cables?

Hit up a couple of thrift stores. You’ll find something.

Gotta charge stuff :shrug: Also yes that's where the remotes go. I would prefer it to not be $100 btw, if it could be $10 that would be cool.

KillHour posted:

Because it looks nice? I keep mine in a hand made bowl I found in Israel.

Check out your local college or other places amateur artists gather I'm sure you'll be able to find something unique for not crazy expensive.

I'll try my luck at a market and see if I find anything that's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If you don’t find something from a local artisan I’ll recommend Felt + Fat for your bowl buying needs. I slowly swapped out all of my tableware with their stuff and it’s really good quality. The share bowl linked above seems like it should fit your needs.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

net work error posted:

I'm looking for some home decor items and wanted to look somewhere besides the typical Target, Pottery Barn, etc kinds of places. I was looking at Etsy but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Are there any other home decor sites that are recommended to browse through?

For some context, I'm looking for a "stuff" bowl to hold cables and remotes in the living room that looks kind of nice but isn't made of glass and probably not wood either. A lot of the stuff I found on Etsy was made out of concrete because I guess that's easy but ideally this wouldn't be too heavy. Color wise it would be white/gray/light colors if that helps at all.

Style wise it would be simple but kind of modern and not too large, maybe 8-10 inches in diameter.

e: I forgot the most important part of the question which was that it I'm not looking to spend too much. Maybe like $80-$100 max? I know that's not a very large budget for some home decor.

I usually call these catchall bowls.

This doesn’t match many of your requirements but I recently got this tray set for similar storage functions (cables, remote, headphones, etc) and I like it a lot. https://www.areaware.com/products/scape-trays

I’m kind of averse to using bowls for storage like this because I abhor having to dig around in a bowl for something that I use often.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 17, 2023

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thank you all for the recommendations!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Also a local ceramic artist would love your business. They all hang out on Instagram

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

net work error posted:

I'm looking for some home decor items and wanted to look somewhere besides the typical Target, Pottery Barn, etc kinds of places. I was looking at Etsy but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Are there any other home decor sites that are recommended to browse through?

For some context, I'm looking for a "stuff" bowl to hold cables and remotes in the living room that looks kind of nice but isn't made of glass and probably not wood either. A lot of the stuff I found on Etsy was made out of concrete because I guess that's easy but ideally this wouldn't be too heavy. Color wise it would be white/gray/light colors if that helps at all.

Style wise it would be simple but kind of modern and not too large, maybe 8-10 inches in diameter.

e: I forgot the most important part of the question which was that it I'm not looking to spend too much. Maybe like $80-$100 max? I know that's not a very large budget for some home decor.

I don’t know about bowls specifically but just kind of in general, ikea or the container store at the middle-end and like dwr and bludot at the high end will tend to cover a lot of weird stuff like this

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Can I get some help with shoe storage? I always thought it looks trashy to keep a bunch of shoes by the door so I never did. But now I have no mud room or coat closet and need to keep 3-4 pairs of shoes by the front door.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

kreeningsons posted:

Can I get some help with shoe storage? I always thought it looks trashy to keep a bunch of shoes by the door so I never did. But now I have no mud room or coat closet and need to keep 3-4 pairs of shoes by the front door.

We have the big Yamazaki rack and use it for an entryway console. We take our shoes off at the door because it keeps the house cleaner overall and living in NYC and walking the streets makes you want to not track that crap in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Closed storage might be the way to go. IKEA sell wall mounted shoe cabinets.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

amethystbliss posted:

Closed storage might be the way to go. IKEA sell wall mounted shoe cabinets.

I don't think it's a good idea to keep shoes in a closed container.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
It's like a champaign glass fountain of snow/water coming off of it in winter.

Probably just get something like this that serves a few purposes and only has one level of water drips?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-bench-with-shoe-storage-white-00243800/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am tight on storage space for shoes and stumbled on this cabinet a ways back that kind of intrigued me as I had not really considered this type of option before: https://www.wayfair.com/storage-organization/pdp/corrigan-studio-30-pair-stackable-shoe-storage-cabinet-w005471281.html

I am not recommending this cabinet or Wayfair in general, just the concept.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why not? Practically every house in Japan does so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E4%B8%8B%E9%A7%84%E7%AE%B1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getabako

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I keep my dress shoes in a box with cedar shoe trees and I figure that absorbs enough moisture to not cause a problem. Agreed that there are obvious limits to keeping shoes in a closed container, though.

I really like the idea of that slim pull out shoe unit from wayfair but yeah I definitely want to keep the quality of my furniture above that of wayfair.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm actually going through this same exercise right now and having trouble finding something I like + My wife likes + will fit our needs.

For a lot of these units the Amazon reviews mention that they don't hold shoe sizes past men's 9, so be very aware of the size going into it. Also probably want enough clearance somewhere to put wet shoes/boots before putting it in the unit.

Very close to building my own cabinet.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We've been using an Ikea bench and some Ikea bins underneath for our family of 4 with overflow wet things on the floor around it and I can't want to actually just build what we want and need when we get to our new place this summer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

I keep my dress shoes in a box with cedar shoe trees and I figure that absorbs enough moisture to not cause a problem. Agreed that there are obvious limits to keeping shoes in a closed container, though.

I really like the idea of that slim pull out shoe unit from wayfair but yeah I definitely want to keep the quality of my furniture above that of wayfair.

I was assuming the shoes one keeps by the door are shoes worn at least semi-regularly.

If that's not a concern, the sky (ur wallet) is the limit.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

The Dave posted:

For a lot of these units the Amazon reviews mention that they don't hold shoe sizes past men's 9, so be very aware of the size going into it. Also probably want enough clearance somewhere to put wet shoes/boots before putting it in the unit.

Very close to building my own cabinet.

Lol I noticed that the product photo of the wayfair one only had kitten heels and flats inside the unit, probably because it exaggerates how large it is. I really don’t need another project but I’m thinking of making one DIY too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Just a 2x2 storage cube could be ok for something like that. You could put cloths down in the cubes on wet days.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

falz posted:

It's like a champaign glass fountain of snow/water coming off of it in winter.

Probably just get something like this that serves a few purposes and only has one level of water drips?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-bench-with-shoe-storage-white-00243800/

We use a variant of this to still-not-keep-our-shoes-in-even-though-we-did-for-about-a-mont-now-it-just-holds-mail-and-shoes-are-piled-in-front-turns-out-you-cant-undo-bad-habits-with-furniture!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

BonoMan posted:

We use a variant of this to still-not-keep-our-shoes-in-even-though-we-did-for-about-a-mont-now-it-just-holds-mail-and-shoes-are-piled-in-front-turns-out-you-cant-undo-bad-habits-with-furniture!

Maybe if I buy this $800 wall unit I will feel too guilty to not use it though? Although $800 for 12mm MDF is a lot…

https://www.danishdesignstore.com/products/peter-j-lassen-hide-shoe-cabinet-with-flip-drawer-montana-mobler

I didn’t even know nice furniture companies made these, I thought they were exclusively the territory of like, overstock.com. This seems like a good one to try my hand at making DIY.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Was thinking you get all four of them for $800. Nope, just one. Dayam.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Ikea sells almost the same thing

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-shoe-cabinet-with-4-compartments-white-60156121/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/shoe-cabinets-10456/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

I keep my dress shoes in a box with cedar shoe trees and I figure that absorbs enough moisture to not cause a problem.

Shoes that don't get worn don't get sweaty.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m starting to lean towards something like this and just modifying a lot of what I don’t like about it but it’s cheap as hell so I don’t care.

https://a.co/d/45Dy0A0

I like having some open shelving as my son is 2 and does better with a basket to dump stuff in.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Dave posted:

I like having some open shelving as my son is 2 and does better with a basket to dump stuff in.

My husband is 43 and this still applies.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I finally have a living space that doesn't have weird angles in it and can actually choose it's layout. That said, now I have no idea what to do with the space.

I know vaguely that there's ways to split up a room into zones but I have no idea how to approach it when I don't have a video game grid that I can just gently caress around with until I get tired of it. Is there any general guidelines? Or should I just post a floorplan with a sketch of my furniture?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
floorplanner.com is free, and fine for playing around if you want

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Does anyone have experience with importing furniture/lamps to the US? I really want the biggest and baddest Martinelli Luce Pipistrello lamp. The price at the euro retailer below is $1600+$400 shipping which doesn’t seem bad, but considering this sells at US retailers for $4000, I’m wondering if I’m missing some part of the price equation. I don’t know what import duties will be like. And I don’t know what kind of step up transformer I’ll need.

https://royaldesign.com/us/pipistrello-large-table-lamp

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

Does anyone have experience with importing furniture/lamps to the US? I really want the biggest and baddest Martinelli Luce Pipistrello lamp. The price at the euro retailer below is $1600+$400 shipping which doesn’t seem bad, but considering this sells at US retailers for $4000, I’m wondering if I’m missing some part of the price equation. I don’t know what import duties will be like. And I don’t know what kind of step up transformer I’ll need.

https://royaldesign.com/us/pipistrello-large-table-lamp

If US customs doesn't have a calculator on their website where you punch in
a) what you're importing (chosen from a list)
b) where from
c) at what cost
and it just gives you a number, then I'm not surprised but slightly disappointed.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If US customs doesn't have a calculator on their website where you punch in
a) what you're importing (chosen from a list)
b) where from
c) at what cost
and it just gives you a number, then I'm not surprised but slightly disappointed.

Not that I can find. Maybe I’m not searching for the right thing, but the federal code for determining duties seems extremely complicated. I guess I will just try to message the retailer and see if they have an estimate of what to expect.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You do a grace of $750 limit free of import taxes

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

You do a grace of $750 limit free of import taxes

Thank you but what does this mean? I have to pay $750 regardless?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I think it means the first $750 is duty-free

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

kreeningsons posted:

And I don’t know what kind of step up transformer I’ll need.

We just use standard Euro>US converter plugs for the Italian lamps in our showroom (work for an Italian furniture manufacturer).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Whether you'll need a transformer or just a plug converter, or even nothing, depends on so many things.

If it's an LED lamp with integrated light source, then you need to check what kind of power supply it has. It may have a switching power supply that handles anything 100-250V 50~60 Hz, or it may have a non-switching supply that requires specific voltage or frequency. The power supply may be internal or external, and if it's external it may be more or less standardized and replaceable.
In the case of a switching universal power supply, you can just use a plug converter, but if it's a fixed power supply you may need a transformer or replacing the power supply.

If it's a traditional socketed lamp, you need to be aware that the Edison screw sockets used in Europe (230 V land) are different sizes than those used in US (110 V land) and won't fit US bulbs. In that case you may need to check if the sockets can be replaced with US sockets instead, and then you can just use US bulbs and mount a US plug on the lamp cord. If you can't replace the socket, you may need to also import 230 V light bulbs and need to use a transformer as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

Not that I can find. Maybe I’m not searching for the right thing, but the federal code for determining duties seems extremely complicated. I guess I will just try to message the retailer and see if they have an estimate of what to expect.

I tried to find it the other day, just out of curiosity, and I think there isn't one. Because why use computre for computing that would be silly.

Meanwhile whenever I import something I get an e-mail with a link to both the customs and tax calculator (where I can also pay directly) and the mail thingy that I have to also pay.

e: Obviously I can use the calculator beforehand, too, to see if it's worth it to import something.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the help, all. I have some more research to do before I pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm looking to replace the plastic storage in my bedroom with something nicer. I know the Ikea Kallax in white is overdone but it's functional and affordable with a clean aesthetic. There are 3 potential layouts.

Option 1: one short square + one tall single width. I moved my storage to represent how much space this Kallax setup would take though they'll be about 10" taller. There'd be a surface for my cats to hang out on and look out the window plus some place to put a humidifer in winter and fan in summer.

Option 2: one tall double width, again with representative space. Pros: This would reduce visual clutter by flowing with my bed but leaves a weird space in front of the window.

Option 3: one tall double width placed horizontally under the window. It would basically span the distance from my desk to the back wall and be 1" taller, so there would be a continuous horizontal surface across that entire wall. I'm leaning in this direction since it feels like the best of both worlds--horizontal surface near the window + reducing visual clutter, plus there'd be space for a plant.

Thoughts? I'm also option to non-Kallax options. I plan to get wall art at some point but it's really hard to find something that speaks to me, especially since the bed isn't centered on the back wall.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 9, 2023