Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the award winning film “Underwater” (2020) the term “buoyancy compensators” is misspelled “boyancy compenasators” during the opening credits on the station blueprints. I like to think this shows the company can’t even be bothered to spellcheck things, let alone do the proper research on how to combat Cthulhu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

For some reason, though, later on at the militia camp, none of the dogs there alert to Arnold's presence at all and are all quite calm.
When Arnold and friends pull up, the people at the camp are initially hiding until they see who it is, then there's a scene break. Even if dogs have a natural "that guy smells super weird, bark at them" instinct, the camp dogs can be quiet at the start because the humans are purposefully telling them to, then be calm later because everyone else is okay with the weird smell guy, so it must be fine.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Some dogs are just better at sussing out bad vibes than others

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

In the award winning film “Underwater” (2020) the term “buoyancy compensators” is misspelled “boyancy compenasators” during the opening credits on the station blueprints. I like to think this shows the company can’t even be bothered to spellcheck things, let alone do the proper research on how to combat Cthulhu

Worth it for the reverse alien she does on that one thing.

Their hands were kinda tied though. They were crazy deep underwater and didn't have access to a boat to dome him with.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Dogs bark at evil robots. Arnold is a good robot in T2.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Like, the obvious thing would be to create a self-destructing adorable puppy terminator, send it back in time, let Sarah Connor adopt it, boom

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We never said the robots were smart

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I always assumed the dogs had to be trained to bark at terminators.

Your golden retriever isn't going to start barking at coke unless it's been trained as a drug dog.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A lot of animals freak out at people or animals that smell wrong. I know if one of my cats had to stay at the vets overnight when he came back the other would freak the gently caress out about it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
lol if you still think dogs can't detect evil

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heh, could well be that the T-800 has been around humans long enough it's starting to smell human. At that point in the movie especially iirc it's starting to act more human, having casual conversations with Sarah and John, actually smiles when picking up the minigun and asks John his opinion of it.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Perestroika posted:

Similarly, Dunkirk fell far short of its potential for much the same reasons. So he doesn't like to use CGI and prefers to shoot things in-camera, fair enough. But if you're trying to make a film about a historical event whose entire point was that it was one of the absolutely most gargantuan maritime evacuations in history, something's gotta give. Either you somehow manage to rustle up enough extras to at least begin to convey the scale, or you use available tools to fake it. Or you pull a Nolan and end up making the whole thing look like a lazy Thursday afternoon in a tourist town during off-season. No amount of (admittedly cool) real Spitfires can make up for that.

What bothered me most about Dunkirk was how goddamn clean and orderly everything looked.

You've got hundreds of thousands of dudes in a defeated army sitting on a beach and there's just no debris or equipment.

The scene in Atonement conveyed Dunkirk far better than Nolan's entire movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, could well be that the T-800 has been around humans long enough it's starting to smell human. At that point in the movie especially iirc it's starting to act more human, having casual conversations with Sarah and John, actually smiles when picking up the minigun and asks John his opinion of it.
There's a deleted scene before that, which has been restored in probably most cuts you can get these days, where John and Sarah enable the T-800s behaviour learning routines, which is probably the more canonical reason for his literal attitude switch but on a thematic level, yeah.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a deleted scene before that, which has been restored in probably most cuts you can get these days, where John and Sarah enable the T-800s behaviour learning routines, which is probably the more canonical reason for his literal attitude switch but on a thematic level, yeah.

Yeah, they really should have left this in the theatrical cut.

I always liked the small touch of the T-800 noticing how long he was offline for (Sarah almost smashes his CPU when it's removed, John stops her because they need his help), and asks "Was there a problem?"

Edit: just thinking about my favourite things about the entire Terminator series, and my top 3 are:

1. All of T2
2. The trailer for Salvation
3. The first movie

And then literally anything else, with varying degrees of "meh" to "never watching THAT again".

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That gif ranks higher than pretty much everything after t2

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

The scene wasn't as much deleted as replaced with a shorter version. The Connors ask Arnie if he can learn to act more human, but instead of explaining that he can but Skynet turns the facility off by default he just says "yes".

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

What bothered me most about Dunkirk was how goddamn clean and orderly everything looked.

You've got hundreds of thousands of dudes in a defeated army sitting on a beach and there's just no debris or equipment.

The scene in Atonement conveyed Dunkirk far better than Nolan's entire movie.

That drove me nuts too. The entire movie reminded me of a set of perfectly crisp sheets.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

The scene wasn't as much deleted as replaced with a shorter version. The Connors ask Arnie if he can learn to act more human, but instead of explaining that he can but Skynet turns the facility off by default he just says "yes".

It's a shame, because the actual scene they cut out makes the ending a lot more impactful. Plus it was just a really well-done scene and does a good job of explaining why he hadn't been adapting before that outside of "Well, no one asked him to learn".

For what it's worth, I prefer The Terminator over T2, but I also refuse to watch the theatrical edition and watch the extender version instead, so my issues with T2 are kinda on me (it drags on a bit, and has too many chase scenes).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm gonna assume that anyone who's a Terminator fan has heard of Sgt Candy and the creation of the T-800, but in the off-chance that you haven't, here you go... The only redeemable thing about T3, and it was a deleted scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I remember very little of T3 but wasn't that just a dvd extra rather than a deleted scene?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It was made for the tie-in game and it turned out so good they included it on the DVD as an extra

Now a fourth person needs to come in and correct me

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

It was made for the tie-in game and it turned out so good they included it on the DVD as an extra

Now a fourth person needs to come in and correct me

No, I think you're correct; I'm now remembering that I saw it when I was at my cousin's place, and he was playing a Terminator game (can't remember which).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, the ending of T3 was also a point in its favor, in a bleak "You're a living paradox if Skynet doesn't invent time travel, John. Of course everyone dies" sort of way.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

This scene?

Neat poo poo: that's not a mirror. It's Linda Hamilton and Arnie on the other side of an empty frame, and in the foreground it's a prosthetic head and Linda's identical twin Leslie

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only redeemable thing about T3, and it was a deleted scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

The big set piece vehicle chases and stuff were really good in T3. About the only parts I remember. Not many movies are gonna pull off a 20 ton crane car chase.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Phy posted:

This scene?

Neat poo poo: that's not a mirror. It's Linda Hamilton and Arnie on the other side of an empty frame, and in the foreground it's a prosthetic head and Linda's identical twin Leslie

Such a cool scene, up until that point I had no clue Linda had a twin sister. I love when movies do things practically but it's so good that it's hard to tell :allears:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sometimes I wonder if the T-1000 came out of James Cameron finding out that Linda Hamilton had an identical twin sister and working backwards from there. Otherwise it's one hell of a coincidence.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
James Cameron invented a time machine just so they could get that shot

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Such a cool scene, up until that point I had no clue Linda had a twin sister. I love when movies do things practically but it's so good that it's hard to tell :allears:

The security guard that T-1000 imitates and kills was also done with twins. They are also in Gremlins 2.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The security guard that gets mimicked by the T1000 was also a pair of identical twins. I think Jim's got a thing about twins.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

James Cameron is actually two twins each named Jame Cameron, kinda like how the "Daniels" who directed Everything Everywhere All At Once is two guys each named Daniel.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

deoju posted:

The security guard that T-1000 imitates and kills was also done with twins. They are also in Gremlins 2.

How about a thread appropriate subtle moment tied to this bit of trivia.

There's a scene where this security guard taps on a glass window and it sounds like something blunt and fleshy hitting glass.

Later when he has been replaced by the T-1000, he taps the glass again, but the sound is replaced with something metal hitting the glass instead.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

deoju posted:

And Good Morning Vietnam IIRC

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CzarChasm posted:

There's a scene where this security guard taps on a glass window and it sounds like something blunt and fleshy hitting glass.

Later when he has been replaced by the T-1000, he taps the glass again, but the sound is replaced with something metal hitting the glass instead.

Whelp, guess I'm watching T2 again. If I own it. The idea that I might not suddenly scares me.

Edit: crisis averted

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Mar 4, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BiggerBoat posted:

And Good Morning Vietnam IIRC

Yup!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQ4m7gnrus

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Leslie appears well before that scene in the theatrical cut, in Sarah's dream. She's the Sarah Connor in the playground with the kids. The two of them never share a shot in that scene so there was no particular need to do it, but it allowed Cameron to create the scene without any wardrobe fuckery and using natural reactions and sight lines.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CzarChasm posted:

Ahhh that’s so cool!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just started watching last of us and ive never played the game

this is a thing i noticed in ep1: when they walk in from the rain, pedro and carrie goon leave wet footsteps but the girl doesnt for some reason (i think the cordyceps is absorbing water through her sneakers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's not Carrie Coon, it's Anna Torv.