Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Minecarts for transport just dont work. Getting into a minecart is a job in itself, dwarves dont see it as a shortcut on their way to another job. What you can use them for is to move stuff around to be more efficient. Usually from stockpile to stockpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

You could use minecarts to make a suicide coaster... But instead of using continuously narrowing loop-de-loops, you send them at full speed into a wall of lead or off a cliff or into lava or w/e.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont think transporting dwarves to the afterlife was the intention of that question.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

Minecarts for transport just dont work. Getting into a minecart is a job in itself, dwarves dont see it as a shortcut on their way to another job. What you can use them for is to move stuff around to be more efficient. Usually from stockpile to stockpile.

Yeah. The most common situation where minecarts are actually useful for transport is if you need to move a lot of material from one place to another. Getting to move more than one at a time is really useful if your megaproject needs a million bricks made far from it, or if your only source of iron ore is in a different biome on the other side of a map.

And moving small amounts of magma, ofc.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Once adventure mode is back in, I wonder whether one could theoretically settle adjacent sites and carve out a continuous minecart track to set up some kind of adventurer superhighway. Take the train between the local human, dwarf, and elf capital cities to efficiently gather quests and spread word of your deeds! :v:

I imagine it would be far from practical (god, the logistics), but the idea of it is hilarious in theory. Just some big buff adventurer clinging to a mine cart in white-knuckled terror as they scream across the countryside and then slam into a wandering bogeyman, fly off the track, and skip 500 meters across the ground before colliding with a tree and exploding into atoms

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I dont think transporting dwarves to the afterlife was the intention of that question.

But that's the entire game, what else could there be?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Once adventure mode is back in, I wonder whether one could theoretically settle adjacent sites and carve out a continuous minecart track to set up some kind of adventurer superhighway. Take the train between the local human, dwarf, and elf capital cities to efficiently gather quests and spread word of your deeds! :v:

I imagine it would be far from practical (god, the logistics), but the idea of it is hilarious in theory. Just some big buff adventurer clinging to a mine cart in white-knuckled terror as they scream across the countryside and then slam into a wandering bogeyman, fly off the track, and skip 500 meters across the ground before colliding with a tree and exploding into atoms

Might be easier if we could just do some of the dwarf actions in adventurer mode. Like if my guy could dig or carve tracks into stone or whatever. I never played much adventurer mode before so I don't really know the bounds of the crossover between that and fortress mode.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Magma deathtrap

Just a note for others, I closed my fort and tried to make this when a necro tower invaded, and by the time I had one track ready to go (the generator took a lot of debugging) they had left and raided again. I let them in and a few eventually wandered in, but it turns out some undead are fireproof? I guess? And their giant spider monsters were unaffected. One track is maybe okay for softening up invaders but two is definitely necessary for killing everyone. Also I had 6-7 lava and still lost several carts every time but I may have had some of the setup wrong

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I love having a Minotaur maze to drop goblins in however my resident Minotaur prefers using a leather kiwi low boot as his weapon of choice instead of the many mauls, maces, and Morningstar I painstakingly put in his fairy large maze. He’s killed about 20 goblin sacrifices so far. I’m going to trap him again and dump his leather boot weapon and maybe he’ll pick up a weapon, who the gently caress knows. Really fun doing the sacrifices though lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mst4k posted:

I love having a Minotaur maze to drop goblins in however my resident Minotaur prefers using a leather kiwi low boot as his weapon of choice instead of the many mauls, maces, and Morningstar I painstakingly put in his fairy large maze. He’s killed about 20 goblin sacrifices so far. I’m going to trap him again and dump his leather boot weapon and maybe he’ll pick up a weapon, who the gently caress knows. Really fun doing the sacrifices though lol.

thats a lot cooler than the minotaur who i tried to trap while my entire military was out on a siege. and i had children playing make believe outside near the traps and one of them punched the minotaur so hard in the head that he went unconscious until the military got back and killed him

he still killed 2 kids though

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

mst4k posted:

That's interesting, the Minotaur I had trapped insisted on beating goblins to death with a pair of pants.

Friend posted:

Just a note for others, I closed my fort and tried to make this when a necro tower invaded, and by the time I had one track ready to go (the generator took a lot of debugging) they had left and raided again. I let them in and a few eventually wandered in, but it turns out some undead are fireproof? I guess? And their giant spider monsters were unaffected. One track is maybe okay for softening up invaders but two is definitely necessary for killing everyone. Also I had 6-7 lava and still lost several carts every time but I may have had some of the setup wrong

Yeah, you want something else to deal with fireproof enemies. If you're losing carts in 6/7 lava its either a setup issue like you said, or more likely power fluctuation. Make sure you have a shitload of power over what you think you need, if it flickers at all (which water reactors do all the time) and drops below the minimum power for the whole contraption even for a second, you're gonna end up dropping a cart.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The minotaur probably wrestled the item of clothing off a goblin which happens quite a bit.

When giant desert scorpions were still in game they had a habit of wrestling off your militaries weapons and then shanking you with it.

Then they would sting you and your spinal cord would rot, as an added gently caress you.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Telsa Cola posted:

The minotaur probably wrestled the item of clothing off a goblin which happens quite a bit.

Indeed that low boot he uses as a weapon was from his first “kill”

Telsa Cola posted:

When giant desert scorpions were still in game they had a habit of wrestling off your militaries weapons and then shanking you with it.

Then they would sting you and your spinal cord would rot, as an added gently caress you.

Goddamn!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

fart simpson posted:

thats a lot cooler than the minotaur who i tried to trap while my entire military was out on a siege. and i had children playing make believe outside near the traps and one of them punched the minotaur so hard in the head that he went unconscious until the military got back and killed him

he still killed 2 kids though

I really wish there was an easy way to corral dwarven children. Oh there's a goblin invasion? Perfect time to hang around outside and play. Oh look Saresh Snotnose trapped himself in the locking artifact vault again playing make believe. They don't respect burrows, are completely unconcerned about throwing themselves into mortal peril, and need constant supervision if you don't want them to die.

Actually, as the parent of a 2-year old, I take that back, this is probably the most realistic thing in all of Dwarf Fortress and shouldn't change.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I haven't had a huge problem with children so far except for babies. I think we've had a couple of infant deaths related to repelling sieges, and the tradition of steel-clad dwarf parents carrying their completely exposed baby into combat. Most recent one had their spine and legs mangled.

Maybe I should just take parents out of the military for a year. :thunk:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I have the local goblins down to their last fortress (~1000), I killed like, 500 on a raze mission but it still showed ~1000. I went to raze again and the goblin leader is a devil capybara and killed like 12 of my legendary military guys. What the hell.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Is there a way to rebind the drag-look mouse function? It's by default bound to middle mouse which I can't comfortably click. I looked through the options screens\tabs like three times and I swear I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

mst4k posted:

I have the local goblins down to their last fortress (~1000), I killed like, 500 on a raze mission but it still showed ~1000. I went to raze again and the goblin leader is a devil capybara and killed like 12 of my legendary military guys. What the hell.

I had this happen with a donkeydevil in a <10 pop goblin fort that's like three grid squares away from my fort. Something about the simulation really favors solo badasses; I'm guessing their fights are treated as 1v1s instead of what should be 40 legendary wardwarfs in masterwork steel turning his rear end into mush.

E:

UltraShame posted:

Is there a way to rebind the drag-look mouse function? It's by default bound to middle mouse which I can't comfortably click. I looked through the options screens\tabs like three times and I swear I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Bit of a workaround, but if you use any keybind software, you could set middle mouse click to a button or key of your choice. Failing that, I bet there's a text doc or .ini in the DF folder you can edit to change it to something else (can't check myself; not at my pc).

Appoda fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 6, 2023

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

mst4k posted:

The leaders of Gobbo forts are super difficult to take down in battle. I have yet to best one in combat. Maybe bringing additional war animals helps as those do surprisingly well in offense combat? If everything is failing you can cheese it and demand the fortress to surrender. The surviving goblins will gleefully turn on their leader if you have the numerical advantage.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Appoda posted:

I had this happen with a donkeydevil in a <10 pop goblin fort that's like three grid squares away from my fort. Something about the simulation really favors solo badasses; I'm guessing their fights are treated as 1v1s instead of what should be 40 legendary wardwarfs in masterwork steel turning his rear end into mush.

E:

Bit of a workaround, but if you use any keybind software, you could set middle mouse click to a button or key of your choice. Failing that, I bet there's a text doc or .ini in the DF folder you can edit to change it to something else (can't check myself; not at my pc).

yeah i read that it simulates the battles as a series of 1v1s

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Appoda posted:

E:

well, duh, didn't even think of that

Thanks!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is there a way or a tool that restores the old announcement logs? It's the one feature that I'm missing

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Etur Fashfikod the swords dwarf is an absolute unit in battle.

He's carrying a high end steel sword, and he's good with it, but this time, he opts for *BITING* this fucken GOBLIN to death.

(Earlier he had beat another GOBLIN to death with his crossbow. I dont think he even cares about his sword TBH)

My unit of sword boys are absolute maniacs on the battlefield. If only I could convince them to stock the bloody ammo for their crossbows, however.

I'm gonna appoint this guy the new fortress champion so he can teach the rest of my dwarves his.... unique..... fighting style lol

edit: fixed.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 8, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

what the

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Uh.. Goblin, Orc, whatever, you know what I mean. Tolkien monsters lol

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

duck monster posted:

Uh.. Goblin, Orc, whatever, you know what I mean. Tolkien monsters lol

"orc" is from the sindarin orch. sindarin is an elvish language

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I hear elvish and my murder instinct rises. Kill all Gobboorcs!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Tungsten posted:

"orc" is from the sindarin orch. sindarin is an elvish language

Tolkien monsters :saddumb:

Dont expect fancy words from me before first coffee. Orc = one sylable. Gobblin = two. :)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cant you guys take this to one of the 8,000 ukraine war threads we already have on the forums? thanks.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I had a brainfart about DF and adventure mode. I reckon tarn ought merge adventure mode (or at least have it so it can be accessed from... ) into fortress mode, so that those missions to raid the gobbo forts are a bit more intereactive than just "pick two squads and roll the dice". It'd be great to be able to just take a squad and just rampage with them but have it meaningful to the central fortress mode. And maybe have legends mode be setup inside fortress mode in a limited (unreliable narrators and POV) capacity as something that ties in the work of your scholars with the visitors and potentially a good use for the messagers, so news kinda flows around the maps and accumulates, so you want to be able to build up an intelligence network , I dunno, with Raven messagers or something.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 9, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

duck monster posted:

I had a brainfart about DF and adventure mode. I reckon tarn ought merge adventure mode (or at least have it so it can be accessed from... ) into fortress mode, so that those missions to raid the gobbo forts are a bit more intereactive than just "pick two squads and roll the dice". It'd be great to be able to just take a squad and just rampage with them but have it meaningful to the central fortress mode. And maybe have legends mode be setup inside fortress mode in a limited (unreliable narrators and POV) capacity as something that ties in the work of your scholars with the visitors and potentially a good use for the messagers, so news kinda flows around the maps and accumulates, so you want to be able to build up an intelligence network , I dunno, with Raven messagers or something.
It would be tight as hell if you could get all SimAnt with one of your dwarfs, but I think in Fortress Mode you'd have it cause you problems since maniacs would then do everything by hand and the other dwarfs would be unhappy.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
is there anything I can do when I get a notification of a rumour or news being shared?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tak posted:

is there anything I can do when I get a notification of a rumour or news being shared?

can you even figure out what the specific rumor is? i cant figure out how

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sure you can head to the world map view and view the rumors and what they're affecting.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sure you can head to the world map view and view the rumors and what they're affecting.

yeah but i mean which rumor is the one the nice elf man just told me about?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

:iiam:

I just take it to mean I'm learning about more artifact/book locations, and there's one grain of sand's chance I might find out where one of my stolen ones went. I think it also gives you the approximate populations of each settlement? Not that it really even matters that much for the purposes of raiding.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i managed to build a nice library finally. stole 230 books and scrolls from a nearby dwarven civ before they noticed and declared war on me too. internal flooring and walls are all engraved billon, with iron exterior walls and all iron furniture. mostly masterwork furniture and engraving and statues. some caged cougars in the back, need to get some more neat animals

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

fart simpson posted:

i managed to build a nice library finally. stole 230 books and scrolls from a nearby dwarven civ before they noticed and declared war on me too. internal flooring and walls are all engraved billon, with iron exterior walls and all iron furniture. mostly masterwork furniture and engraving and statues. some caged cougars in the back, need to get some more neat animals

Both your name and this post are top shelf- obviously a person of culture.

Does anyone have a solution for cloud saves? I have been playing a lot on steam deck but want to pick up sometime on my desktop

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

fart simpson posted:

But what is the arrow pointing towards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Why are those not stored properly?

Oh.

its just pages of minced peaches all the way down. With a turnip wine added as an afterthought at the end. Minced, of course.