Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Outer Wilds is great and a must-play, but the pacing and gameplay experience is so different that there is little comparison.
Subnautica is a very relaxed game, while Outer Wilds is probably the most stressful thing I have ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oasx posted:

Raft is the closest thing I have found that feels like Subnautica.

And even then.... Ehhhhhhh.

I don't know, I didn't like it.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Overall closest to me is Stranded Deep. It has a variety of vehicles, stuff in water wants to kill you, lots of base building, just slightly janky, final goal to build escape vehicle. Very Subnautica but a lot more time spent above water.

Death in the Water 2 for creepy and very pretty underwater, but it's all combat focused.
Green Hell for base building and overall survival vibe. No real underwater.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xik posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, none seem like they have the same vibe though. Hardspace: Shipbreaker was on my wishlist for a while but dropped off after Breathedge soured me on the whole "spacesuit around in zero g" thing. Astroneer already has dozens of hours of playtime and No Mans Sky has hundreds. I have Raft but haven't played since EA and enjoyed it enough but the survival clocks were too aggressive, maybe that's been balanced since?

Thinking about it, base building is a non-optional component. Base building feels like the primary creative outlet and a core element of the progression system. So much so that I'm actually not convinced I would even like Subnautica without it.

Hardspace Shipbreaker is a nice game, but it really has nothing to do with Subnautica aside from managing air supply. I don't think there's any exploration, it's more just a job simulator.

Viscera Cleanup Detail would be closer since it at least has like environmental storytelling and logs.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I was hoping Breathedge was gonna be a subnautica clone, but it's just not very good and the writing is some of the most grating, infantile poo poo I've seen since Postal 2.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Base building is very optional though. It was one of my favourite parts but as any speedrun will show you, 95% of it is not needed to complete the game. It’s just very satisfying and a tangible way to progress so a lot of players focus on that regardless.

I would say out of all the games mentioned above, Outer Wilds is the one that orbits closest to the feeling of playing subnautica. The isolation, facing hostile environments in your ship and spacesuit, solving mysteries…

It lacks the building aspect, upgrade paths and ressource gathering but that’s because it has more of a focus on its story. (For the better in my opinion)

Also it might just the best game ever.

Agree with this. I finally played Outer Wilds when I was looking for more Subnautica and it inspired a lot of the same feelings. Completely different gameplay but feels similar.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I was hoping Breathedge was gonna be a subnautica clone, but it's just not very good and the writing is some of the most grating, infantile poo poo I've seen since Postal 2.

This is an insult to Portal 2. I don't mean that to be confrontational but because of how unbelievably bad the writing, jokes, and general childishly nonsensical moronic experience trying to play Breathedge was. You can't even see Portal 2 from there.

Every time I came across a particularly dumb joke I paused and considered stopping, but kept playing because "Surely it must get better" and it was almost scratching the Subnautica itch.

I mean, the premise is almost ideal for a similar sort of gameplay; you're stranded in a derelict spaceship and must scrounge components, materials and blueprints from the wreckage strewn asteroid belt to improve your gear and gradually venture further and further in search of raw materials. It's visually very pretty, but the writing is truly offensive. Sadly the pacing is also rather poorly done. Each time I scrounged up materials for a venture out to the next signposted checkpoint 9/10 times the next immediate action was "Turn back and run for home else you'll suffocate". I ended up unlocking a number of things but never seemed allowed to build my own space habitat despite unlocking various parts. No idea how much progress that represented and don't really care to give it another go.

If by any chance the above intrigues anyone, let me mention the following irritants that bothered me, ranging from the merely uncomfortable, to nose-wrinkling disgust, to eye-opening-surprise at how this was chosen to be included in a commercial product. Variously and often repeatedly playing Breathedge subjected me to:

Dick jokes, scatological humour, objectifying women, insulting the player's intelligence (literally, your companion AI insults you), jokes complaining about censorship of violence against children, using the concept of 'gender identity' as a punchline, offensive stereotypes, more dick jokes, and generally inappropriate humour one might expect of a poorly socialized fifteen year old male who spends all their time on 4chan. Without filters or impulse control.

I regret thinking about it enough to write this.

Play Outer Wilds instead.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 3, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Teledahn posted:

This is an insult to Portal 2. I don't mean that to be confrontational but because of how unbelievably bad the writing, jokes, and general childishly nonsensical moronic experience trying to play Breathedge was. You can't even see Portal 2 from there.

He said Postal 2, a video game where you can pee in someone's mouth to make them throw up. Not Portal 2, which has one of my favourite video game gags ever with "Oh no, this is the part where he kills us."

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Chamale posted:

He said Postal 2

I am illiterate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chamale posted:

He said Postal 2, a video game where you can pee in someone's mouth to make them throw up. Not Portal 2, which has one of my favourite video game gags ever with "Oh no, this is the part where he kills us."

Got the Ace of fours. Yep.

Never played cards, meant to learn.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
For the record, I love Portal 2

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Teledahn posted:

I am illiterate.

It's ok, I read the post, read it as Portal 2, wildly disagreed with the ensuring opinion, and only checked myself (and the post again) because this has already happened to me.

This will happen again, but now you have The Gift.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Breathedge really loving sucks. Bad writing, purposely wasting your time, whole thing is just a slog which gets worse the longer you play.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's really surprising how few imitators Subnautica has, considering it's relative success and large fan base

I thought for sure someone would have taken the idea and ran with it by now. Hoped for it really, since I don't believe UW has anyone on staff who understood what made their game uniquely appealing

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I heard The Forest was similar. I picked it up on the last Steam sale, but I've not had the time to mess with it. Anyone have thoughts towards it?

I will say that everyone needs to play Outer Wilds though. Its an incredible experience, and the spoiler free guide on Steam was really handy in helping me put the last pieces together.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's really surprising how few imitators Subnautica has, considering it's relative success and large fan base

I thought for sure someone would have taken the idea and ran with it by now. Hoped for it really, since I don't believe UW has anyone on staff who understood what made their game uniquely appealing

How few successful imitators.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's a surprisingly difficult recipe to get right, and when it goes wrong it doesn't end up still being good, it ends up being complete trash.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

All these AI advances and still no way to procedurally generate interesting, viable Subnautica maps.

Sigh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pander posted:

All these AI advances and still no way to procedurally generate interesting, viable Subnautica maps.

Sigh.

That would be amazing. I can only imagine a subnautica randomizer. You put in a seed (or have one picked for you) and while there'd be safeties involved, like keeping necessary upgrades above your then-current diving limit, everything would be randomized.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

*hears reaper scream in the lost river* ah gently caress

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That would be amazing. I can only imagine a subnautica randomizer. You put in a seed (or have one picked for you) and while there'd be safeties involved, like keeping necessary upgrades above your then-current diving limit, everything would be randomized.

I remember playing the early beta with the random map and the ability to dig. I also remember my poor computer chugging as their unoptimized engine ate all my ram.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was just thinking how one of the key details as to what makes Subnautica unique from so many other games that come vaguely close is the fact that Subnautica dropped the whole premise of being able to randomly procedurally generate worlds so that it could focus on crafting an experience that directs players deeper into the game.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Xik posted:

Thinking about it, base building is a non-optional component. Base building feels like the primary creative outlet and a core element of the progression system. So much so that I'm actually not convinced I would even like Subnautica without it.

Grounded and Valheim could be worth a look in that respect. Does occur to me that almost every recommendation will feature combat of some form, hard to think of much else that avoids it as a gameplay feature to the extent Subnautica does.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I would say out of all the games mentioned above, Outer Wilds is the one that orbits closest to the feeling of playing subnautica. The isolation, facing hostile environments in your ship and spacesuit, solving mysteries…

Slanderer posted:

Agree with this. I finally played Outer Wilds when I was looking for more Subnautica and it inspired a lot of the same feelings. Completely different gameplay but feels similar.

I played Subnautica, Outer Wilds and Return of the Obra Dinn each for the first time one after the other and, man, that was a top tier run of some excellent gaming.

It's ok, I read the post, read it as Portal 2, wildly disagreed with the ensuring opinion, and only checked myself (and the post again) because this has already happened to me.

Kinda hoping the Outer Wilds recommendations get a "I didn't really care for this Fallout game set in space" reply now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dave Angel posted:

Grounded and Valheim could be worth a look in that respect. Does occur to me that almost every recommendation will feature combat of some form, hard to think of much else that avoids it as a gameplay feature to the extent Subnautica does.

I recommend Valheim, though it only shares the following aspects with Subnautica:

- survival, starting from nothing and building up equipment
- base building
- enemies in various biomes that dictate their type and difficulty

Valheim is also not finished yet, though what's there is quite satisfying (if you're into that type of game). Base building is far more complex than Subnautica, however. You ever wonder how difficult it would be to build a shelter/base without the base builder tool? That's Valheim! Can't put a roof up without it being properly supported. Can't have a fire inside without proper ventilation! Need to decorate it to add to comfort which is a great buff.

Please understand that none of these are complaints from me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I recommend Valheim, though it only shares the following aspects with Subnautica:

- survival, starting from nothing and building up equipment
- base building
- enemies in various biomes that dictate their type and difficulty

Valheim is also not finished yet, though what's there is quite satisfying (if you're into that type of game). Base building is far more complex than Subnautica, however. You ever wonder how difficult it would be to build a shelter/base without the base builder tool? That's Valheim! Can't put a roof up without it being properly supported. Can't have a fire inside without proper ventilation! Need to decorate it to add to comfort which is a great buff.

Please understand that none of these are complaints from me.

Adding to this, I love the sailing part of Valheim. There are even roaring sea-beasties to chase you, for that classic reaper feeling!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Adding to this, I love the sailing part of Valheim. There are even roaring sea-beasties to chase you, for that classic reaper feeling!

Have you played Sea of Thieves? It's of course an entirely different genre, but if you love sailing in Valheim, do I have good news for you.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Sea of Thieves for its generation of waves alone makes an incredible game. Rolling around in a boat with your mates trying to loot as much treasure as you can before returning home is a solid adventure.

Subnautica is definitely completely unique in its environment though. With time I realised I was rarely in danger but when the sun set the first few nights or when I dived deep into the abyss first time gave me absolute chills.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Valheim's out of early access next week, right? I might finally have a bash at it then.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ErKeL posted:

Sea of Thieves for its generation of waves alone makes an incredible game. Rolling around in a boat with your mates trying to loot as much treasure as you can before returning home is a solid adventure.

Subnautica is definitely completely unique in its environment though. With time I realised I was rarely in danger but when the sun set the first few nights or when I dived deep into the abyss first time gave me absolute chills.

The first few nights were also unnerving for me because I just assumed some things changed when the sun went down. Maybe creatures get more aggressive or migrate to different biomes or something?

That not being the case was a minor disappointment imo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Valheim's out of early access next week, right? I might finally have a bash at it then.

Wait, what? This is what I get for not following that thread.

Endless Trash posted:

The first few nights were also unnerving for me because I just assumed some things changed when the sun went down. Maybe creatures get more aggressive or migrate to different biomes or something?

That not being the case was a minor disappointment imo

Play Valheim :getin:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dave Angel posted:

I played Subnautica, Outer Wilds and Return of the Obra Dinn each for the first time one after the other and, man, that was a top tier run of some excellent gaming.

Kinda hoping the Outer Wilds recommendations get a "I didn't really care for this Fallout game set in space" reply now.

I'll say Grounded worked for me a LOT more than Valheim as a subnautica analog. The emphasis on combat is obviously different, but Grounded's basebuilding felt a lot more like subnautica than Valheim's did, and the map-directed exploration and progression also worked way better as a subnautica type game than Valheim's procedurally generated world does. The art style also does a LOT more for me too.

I'd say the downside is that if you don't like twitchy combat, Grounded loses a lot of points, because it's a LOT of timing and combat strategy.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

I heard The Forest was similar. I picked it up on the last Steam sale, but I've not had the time to mess with it. Anyone have thoughts towards it?

I will say that everyone needs to play Outer Wilds though. Its an incredible experience, and the spoiler free guide on Steam was really handy in helping me put the last pieces together.

The Forest is good. It's somewhere between Subnautica and The Long Dark, but the survival elements are sometimes kinda half-baked, and the basebuilding isn't super necessary most of the time. The gameplay shifts and the overworld becomes more dangerous after a while (might be based on a timer?), but even then I didn't spend much time making cool treeforts or enemy traps because of how long it took to build anything (cutting down a hundred trees and dragging them through the forest is a pain).

I definitely liked it as a budget indie thing, but it's not a great deliberately designed experience

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

MikeJF posted:

Do it. Valheim loving rules and everyone should play it, much like our precious Subnautica and Outer Wilds :allears:

and going back to precious discussion - outer wilds was also the only other game that gave me the same feeling as Subnautica, even if they aren't all that close in gameplay.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MikeJF posted:

It is? But doesn’t it have multiple planned regions of content ahead of it still?

edit: Looked around. I don't see anything that says its coming out of Early Access. But it is coming out for the Xbox next week.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 6, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Another thing Subnautica does great is that I’m not building log cabins. I like having a cool looking base that doesn’t have to look or play like it was slabbed together out of natural materials.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Love Valheim but the development process is extremely slow, I know it's only a few folks working on it so I get it...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Love Valheim but the development process is extremely slow, I know it's only a few folks working on it so I get it...

It's an unintended, larger scale metaphor for trying to get anything done in this game with very little help.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Curious Archive has done a bunch of good Subnautica related vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLeTpus6Wo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Replaying Subnautica finally, and decided to mod it out this time around. So, uh, is the Steam Workshop not a thing, where are all the mods, do I need to patch poo poo in manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Sadly Nexus mods are the best option for SN mods.
And with recent big updates you have to make sure to install the ones made for Bepinex (a mod structure system), rather than the old QMod Manager.
Its pretty easy, you just extract Bepinex to the SN folder, you may have to run it once after this, which should create a plugin folder.
Then you install any mods into that folder.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/?BH=25
Just arrange by last updated to get the ones that work with Bepinex and check eack mods requirements just in case
Here is the Bepinex base mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/1108

If you need help I could go through an list all the ones that work for me.
Though its a bunch, i do love me some mods.

e: it may be possible to use the Nexus software Vortex for this, but its usually pretty poo poo for anything non Bethesda and half the time doesnt install right.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 12, 2023