Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Takeshita’s theme sounds like the nitro theme

It doesn't quite sound like it overall but that guitar riff reminds me so much of playing a fuckton of WCW/NWO Revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sound logic so far

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

GIVE HER ATHENA

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

This match fucks, by the way

E: this applies to this match about to happen and Athena/Willow, by the way

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Castignoli cheer squad was 2 people.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

that sinister swiss

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ohhhhhhh gently caress

oh yeah, i guess they can just overrun whenever the gently caress they want

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
That was a pretty abrupt end to the match, but that was a fun little first show.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Loved that a lot. Great first episode, great main event.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
EDDIE

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

but wait ...... THERE'S MORE

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

dang, eddie walked all the way to florida since quitting twenty four hours ago

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Who's ready for some cussing?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

dang, eddie walked all the way to florida since quitting twenty four hours ago

The 1099 line is so good because it somehow didn't foreshadow "quitting" at all

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

yeah, this loving rules. THIS is why i paid the ten bucks and i'm super loving down for this Eddie angle.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
drat it feels good to be honorable

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So hype right now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Honor is real. If they only showed replays of this every week they'd still have my ten bucks.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I really enjoyed that! Some sick matches, good quick interviews and packages and a nice set up for future eps/hyping up next show.

Aside from a couple of dark-esque matches, it certainly felt different than aew imo. Especially thanks to the camera work which I loved. Cool angles, close angles and best of all longer cuts showing the whole move/impact rather than too many cuts breaking everything within the move. Gave it it's own feel and reminded me a little of how new japan shoots their stuff, which I very much enjoy and prefer.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1631470331570290690

Legit the best babyface in American wrestling right now

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, Ian's great

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
What an amazing show. Better than dynamite the week (granted, aew is doing safe pre PPV poo poo).

I just hope Tony can keep this one up

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

*slap slap slap*

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

If this is what ROH on HD Net was I probably would watch it more. Kinda felt like I could have used a 10 minute intermission between the first and second hour but i thought it was fun !

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It needs to not overlap with Impact. Do not judge me, Johnny Swinger is a treasure.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Honorthoughts

Arena looks great.

1) Mark Briscoe vs Slim J. Love that Mark was in the first match. Slim J is a wee ratbag. For a foregone conclusion this is nicely competitive and entertaining. Mark is an incredible showman. Slim has some solid chops and sells like a beast. Slim's chest gets messed up during this match. Ultimately this is maybe a couple of minutes too long, but it's really good, and really opened my eyes to Slim J

Tony Deppen interviewed. What a great weird guy. Reading off the paper was super odd but I liked it.

2) The Infantry vs The Kingdom. Carlie Bravo sighting! Love the gimmick for these guys. Matt Taven Matt Tavens his way to the ring. I joke about The Kingdom but they're a smooth and solid team. Bravo and Dean are coming along nicely. Matt Taven is Matt Taven. Kingdom are dominant but there's some nice babyface fire from Dean and Bravo, nice double DDT. In the end, the team with the double team finisher win. Decent.

Rejoice, cretins! ZSJ cuts a great promo (and Blake Christian cuts an okay one)

3) ZSJ vs Blake Christian. I love Zack's theme music. Blake Christian still looks like Bobby Beamer from Grosse Pointe Blank, but he wrestles super well. ZSJ is one of the best arseholes in wrestling. This is funny and technical and very well put together. Everything on the ropes was great, as was the Bryan call-out. Nice high flying stuff from Blake. Match loses a little energy in the middle, but this was a great calling card for Christian, who looked very strong in defeat. On another day he could have won. He has a brainbuster towards the end that looked like a murder attempt. But in the end Zack gonna do what Zack gonna do.

Smart Mark is such a terrible poo poo. Takeshita is so loving charismatic.

Christopher Daniels cuts a great history promo.

4) Christopher Daniels vs Rohit Raju. Rooting for the bald guy here. Raju is a cocky rear end in a top hat in a way that works, but the crowd were asleep for this one. It's very competently wrestled but didn’t really feel important. Jora Johl, don't YELL while doing sneak attacks, you silly boy. Match goes out pretty much as it was always going to, but this was fine.

Oh hey Rhett Titus and Tracy Williams. Bit boilerplate in their promos but I like them as a team.

Crikey, it's Aussie Open! I would like this match, yes please.

5) Konosuke Takeshita vs Josh Woods. People flip their poo poo for Takeshita. As they should. Nice power display at the start. I continue to enjoy Woods working Tough Technical as a style, but not as much as I enjoy Soup just being perfect at everything. Woods excels as a bully, Takeshita sells wonderfully, but then turns things around beautifully. Holy cripes, that flying knee off the ropes from Woods was a loving work of art. Jesus, this match. This was tremendous, strap some gold on Soup Boy.

Claudio interview. He's a good talking guy now. Love the German at the end.

6) The Embassy vs Joe Keys, Rex Lawless and LSG. Gee, wonder who's winning. Nice dominant display, but really needs a setup for a proper opponent at the end.

Metalik sizzle real, I didn't realise he was Mascara Dorada.

7) Ari Daivari vs Metalik. Shame we didn't get a Metalik entrance. This is a good Lucha thing. Metalik flips around the place, Daivari has great ring awareness. This is a very solid candidate for an intro to wrestling match. You don't need to know these guys at all to get every detail of the story. Metalik is talented, noble, and a bit overconfident. Daivari is sneaky, dishonest, and actually a good wrestler. Finish kept both guys strong,but clearly Daivari has momentum.

AR Fox is a great wrestler. He gives an interview here. Man he's a good wrestler.

8) The Renegades vs Madison Rayne and Skye Blue. Hoping for good stuff from the Renegades. I like the heels rules layering, nice character work. There's a couple of rusty spots but in general this is a well wrestled tag. Skye Blue is about ready to change her gimmick up from "rookie". Honestly, though, the Renegades outwrestled the home team throughout. I can see why Rayne and Blue won, but the Renegades are much more interesting.

Dalton Castle sizzle.

Ian Riccaboni brings out Yoots. He's decently over. Working much more heelish here which I like. Yuta has a touch of silver in his hair now and... goddamn. He issues an open challenge, and

Holy gently caress, Timothy Thatcher? Fantastic!

Joe sizzle.

9) Lady Frost vs Willow Nightingale. Wish Frost had got an entrance. Caprice Coleman rapping over Willow's theme was amazing. Willow plays to the crowd wonderfully. We tease a dance-off and then a wrestling match breaks out. Frost is hella athletic. Double kick spot was awesome. Convincing and strong win from Willow, but I want to see Lady Frost back.

Post match Willow is ADORABLE. Makes a solid case for a match against Athena, which summons a fuckin' monster. I really want this match.

10) AR Fox vs Claudio Castignoli. Really solid, really hard hitting main event. Claudio is a beast, and Fox ups his game considerably. Fox is fighting from underneath for most of the match. Some tremendously brutal submissions and reversals. Unexpected power moves from Fox. Things end a bit abruptly with the uppercut, but overall this was a tremendous match.

Post match, code of honor observed, all very nice stuff. But then.

Oh gently caress. There he is. Eddie Kingston comes in to gently caress poo poo up. Lots of subtle stuff going on with the "1099" ref. And we have a main event feud here. Nice.

This was a packed and enjoyable two hour wrestling show. Lots of straightforward good matches, not much bullshit. Worth my 10 bux a month.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

So hype right now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

audio on the commentary is too low!!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
The wrestling speaks for itself!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That was a fun show! Nothing revolutionary but lots of solid wrestling and some interesting stuff set up for the future. Athena/Willow is going to whip and I'm really excited for the Eddie/Claudio feud.

The members of the Trustbusters need their own themes, it's grown beyond comical to hear the same entrance music multiple times during one show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What they need is to figure out if the Trustbusters are part of Sterling's unit or not. Isn't Ari in both?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

What they need is to figure out if the Trustbusters are part of Sterling's unit or not. Isn't Ari in both?

I think sterling is also ari’s lawyer. The varsity athletes and trustbusters team up at times with this connection.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Sterling is not a stable leader, he is a lawyer with his hands in a lot of different people's business

I mean he's still Jade's lawyer too

Actually, I left the event with a purloined business card from Smart Mark, provided by the wonderful Bobby Cruze

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 3, 2023

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

The Taxman posted:

Sterling is not a stable leader, he is a lawyer with his hands in a lot of different people's business

I mean he's still Jade's lawyer too

He never should've been split away from the Baddies, especially since Stokely only stuck around for a cup of coffee as his replacement

"What happened to you...?! I don't care" is one of the funniest moments in AEW history

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Trustbusters music is perfect, makes me laugh to hear it. Only thing that could make it better is adding a bunch of annoying "OH YEAAAAAAAAAH!"s like the Entourage theme.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Tato posted:

The Trustbusters music is perfect, makes me laugh to hear it. Only thing that could make it better is adding a bunch of annoying "OH YEAAAAAAAAAH!"s like the Entourage theme.

It really is the perfect theme for a lower-mid card faction. Kinda annoying but easily recognizable

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
how long was the show?

also, is thatcher in roh now or just another one-off appearance?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
A little over two hours, and I think it's another one-off. I haven't seen any indication that he's coming stateside fulll-time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

would love thatchman in ring of honour (british)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

would love thatchman in ring of honour (british)

They'd have to change the name if they went to the UK because the British don't recognize the word 'ring'. It'd have to be Aw Roundah of 'onah