Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
My brain told me that Ellie looks like the comedian shame gillis and now I cannot unsee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Chamale posted:

When the apocalypse happens and I lose internet access, I'll recreate the experience by alternately looking at two post-it notes on which I've written "lol" and "lmao"

Gonz posted:

I’m just envisioning this, and now i’m cackling like a maniac at 1 in the morning.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Remember in Breaking Bad when Jesse played Rage with a light gun on an LED screen

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Moltke posted:

yes, a zombieland show would be comparable to TLOU because it is a zombie show, and it would probably be a more interesting concept than what TLOU is doing (outside of ep3).

Is this a joke? They did do a zombieland show. It sucked so much rear end it wasn’t picked up past the pilot. And this was one of Amazon’s first original scripted series when they were ordering literally everything to series.

Seriously is this a joke statement?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

Is this a joke? They did do a zombieland show. It sucked so much rear end it wasn’t picked up past the pilot. And this was one of Amazon’s first original scripted series when they were ordering literally everything to series.

Seriously is this a joke statement?

...you're asking if people are familiar with a failed pilot from nine years ago?

https://variety.com/2013/digital/news/amazon-studios-releases-pilots-online-1200387487/

BTW, of the adult offerings only two shows went forward. So they weren't "literally ordering everything to series" (They weren't even ordering the majority of pilots to series.) And a bad pilot is only really evidence of a bad pilot, not a bad concept or even a bad series. Plenty of good shows came from poor pilots.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Naw, the weak pilots that get picked up are picked up because they have good concepts for a series.

You also don't really need anything beyond the words "zombeland tv series" to understand it's not a great concept for a series.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Danger posted:

Also the Wire is incredibly overrated.

lol

Moltke
May 13, 2009
i had no idea amazon produced a zombieland show at all, but all of the pilots from its first class sucked rear end. betas was one of the worst pilots i've ever seen.

looks like they also ruined a "the onion" show. i would hardly fault "the concept" for getting amazon'd

the discussion around whether TLOU is a zombie show was far more intelligent on avclub, where most people acknowledged that it is, and recognized that this also did not matter, like i am saying

https://www.avclub.com/the-last-of-us-tv-show-hbo-zombie-debate-1850130814

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
You are, and I am not using hyperbole, one of dumbest posters I've ever seen.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Can't you see this discussion of Amazon pilots is tearing us apart? Amazon is better when they just commit to a full season run, no pilot needed and you get a real triple A certified fresh show.

*Edit* And I don't mean YOU or you or you over there, I mean you all.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The discussion on the other forums was far more intelligent, because they agreed with me is quite a take.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When someone tries to pick a genre fight threads should just autofill in 3 pages of lorem ipsum and anyone who wants in on that garbage can just pretend they made their totally worthwhile points, but in fake Latin.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I mean yes, the fact that TLOU is a zombie show is true, pretensions of the showrunners notwithstanding. And yes, TLOU is chock full of cliches, if anything the cliches are why it has such timeless appeal. But what it wants to do is take its premises deadly seriously, played completely straight, no self-referential bullshit.

It doesn't take away from the fact that Moltke is the worse loving poster in this thread, only closely followed by Mantis.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Moltke posted:

i had no idea amazon produced a zombieland show at all, but all of the pilots from its first class sucked rear end. betas was one of the worst pilots i've ever seen.

looks like they also ruined a "the onion" show. i would hardly fault "the concept" for getting amazon'd

the discussion around whether TLOU is a zombie show was far more intelligent on avclub, where most people acknowledged that it is, and recognized that this also did not matter, like i am saying

https://www.avclub.com/the-last-of-us-tv-show-hbo-zombie-debate-1850130814

Can you please get this out of your system before Sunday? This week I don't want to have to again wade through a page or two of your dog poo poo arguments when the episode airs and people want to discuss what's actually happening on screen.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I mean yes, the fact that TLOU is a zombie show is true, pretensions of the showrunners notwithstanding. And yes, TLOU is chock full of cliches, if anything the cliches are why it has such timeless appeal. But what it wants to do is take its premises deadly seriously, played completely straight, no self-referential bullshit.

It doesn't take away from the fact that Moltke is the worse loving poster in this thread, only closely followed by Mantis.

I'm honestly not sure if posters understand what cliches are even. There is so god drat much content, it is very, extremely difficult to do something completely original. But I scratch my head to think what TLoU has done that strikes me as outrageously "cliche"? Like yes, the genre, the characters, the relationships, the story are all pieces of media that have told similar stories (I'd challenge you to find something truly completely unique), but that doesn't have to mean a story is bad. Its not like everything that came after The Epic of Gilgamesh was derivative. Cliche implies that what was done on screen was expected, lazy, rote. The only thing that pops to mind is the zombie scene in kansas city, that whole sequence did feel a bit... well I'll give it to you... cliche. But for the most part I really don't see the decisions of the show as cliche.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Ugh, another show with actors pretending to be fictional characters and event that occur. Enjoy your unimaginative cliché show, rubes.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
i'm not even saying the story is bad, i've said repeatedly that it's still okay, and there were flashes of what could have been a great show in episode 3. there are a lot of weird rear end posters itt taking what is largely a "here's my version" of a zombie show far too seriously.

if calling this show a zombie show upsets you, you need to think about why that is before mashing the post button again.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Kwolok posted:

I'm honestly not sure if posters understand what cliches are even.

"no one understands but me"

Kwolok posted:

Like yes, the genre, the characters, the relationships, the story are all pieces of media that have told similar stories (I'd challenge you to find something truly completely unique), but that doesn't have to mean a story is bad.

"i don't understand wht a cliche means"

Kwolok posted:

Cliche implies that what was done on screen was expected, lazy, rote. The only thing that pops to mind is the zombie scene in kansas city, that whole sequence did feel a bit... well I'll give it to you... cliche.

"ok, i thought about it and yeah, there are some cliches"

Kwolok posted:

But for the most part I really don't see the decisions of the show as cliche.

"i don't understand how anyone could come to a similar conclusion that i just did"

this is the problem with this thread - you're responding to one person who used the word "cliche," generalizing this to all posters, and then doubting that anyone knows what the word means. You then seemingly acknowledge that the show has cliches and at the same time spin this into an attack on anyone who might see the parts of the story as less-than-original.

what do you think you're adding to this thread through these generalizations? why does everyone have to see the show your way?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah yeah keep posting these are real discussions really great discourse

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The problem with your whole "zombie show" argument isn't just that you've come up with a definition of what of a "zombie show" is, and then say that this show is one. That's fine on its own. But you then go on to say that since this is a zombie show, it should be compared to other zombie shows, and you criticize it through that lens. According to you, the show isn't very good because it's just a bunch of boring characters and it doesn't have any new zombie ideas.

But the boring characters and the drama are the entire point of the show. It's not trying to make exciting zombie scenes, at least, not generally. Entire episodes have been just slice of life stuff, and those episodes have been the most well loved.

What you are doing is the equivalent of going into the What We Do in the Shadows thread and saying "this show isn't very good, it's so derivative of other vampire shows! all they do is a bunch of silly jokes! where's the suspense, the dread? Nandor's such a stereotype, i've seen vampires like that over and over he's basically a ripoff of dracula and tbh he's pretty one-note"

That wouldn't be a relevant critique, because while the show is a show with vampires in it, that doesn't really mean it makes sense to compare it to "True Blood" or "Interview with the Vampire" or "Nosferatu". It would make more sense to compare WWDitS to like, Our Flag Means Death or even The Office. Even though WWDitS and Interview are both "vampire shows" and OFMD is a "pirate show", it's more important to recognize that Interview is a drama and the other two are comedies. It makes you sound like a loving second grader that the only categorization you are capable of is "zombie show".

Further, it doesn't even matter if it is derivative. Romeo & Juliet was written hundreds of years ago, and it's been reworked and stolen from over and over... if you've seen any modern media, you're familiar with all the plot beats of R&J. Yet people still watch new performances and are moved by it. This is because execution matters. If you had a cast of brilliant new actors performing Romeo & Juliet, with great sets and sound and etc, it would still be worth watching. People would go see it.

Point being, if you want to criticize the show for bad execution, go for it! You could criticize it for having unconvincing performances, or confusing cinematography, or muddled messaging, or even plot holes or bad sound mixing, go ahead! But if the only meaningful criticism you can muster is "THIS SHOW IS SIMILAR TO OTHER SHOW" then you have absolutely zero to add to the discussion and people are right to mock you.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 3, 2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

XboxPants posted:

The problem with your whole "zombie show" argument isn't just that you've come up with a definition of what of a "zombie show" is, and then say that this show is one. That's fine on its own. But you then go on to say that since this is a zombie show, it should be compared to other zombie shows, and you criticize it through that lens. According to you, the show isn't very good because it's just a bunch of boring characters and it doesn't have any new zombie ideas.

But the boring characters and the drama are the entire point of the show. It's not trying to make exciting zombie scenes, at least, not generally. Entire episodes have been just slice of life stuff, and those episodes have been the most well loved.

What you are doing is the equivalent of going into the What We Do in the Shadows thread and saying "this show isn't very good, it's so derivative of other vampire shows! all they do is a bunch of silly jokes! where's the suspense, the dread? Nandor's such a stereotype, i've seen vampires like that over and over he's basically a ripoff of dracula and tbh he's pretty one-note"

That wouldn't be a relevant critique, because while the show is a show with vampires in it, that doesn't really mean it makes sense to compare it to "True Blood" or "Interview with the Vampire" or "Nosferatu". It would make more sense to compare WWDitS to like, Our Flag Means Death or even The Office. Even though WWDitS and Interview are both "vampire shows" and OFMD is a "pirate show", it's more important to recognize that Interview is a drama and the other two are comedies. It makes you sound like a loving second grader that the only categorization you are capable of is "zombie show".

Further, it doesn't even matter if it is derivative. Romeo & Juliet was written hundreds of years ago, and it's been reworked and stolen from over and over... if you've seen any modern media, you're familiar with all the plot beats of R&J. Yet people still watch new performances and are moved by it. This is because execution matters. If you had a cast of brilliant new actors performing Romeo & Juliet, with great sets and sound and etc, it would still be worth watching. People would go see it.

Point being, if you want to criticize the show for bad execution, go for it! You could criticize it for having unconvincing performances, or confusing cinematography, or muddled messaging, or even plot holes or bad sound mixing, go ahead! But if the only meaningful criticism you can muster is "THIS SHOW IS SIMILAR TO OTHER SHOW" then you have absolutely zero to add to the discussion and people are right to mock you.

Romeo and Juliet was based off a poem written like 50 years earlier.

edit: (point being even it was just a retelling of an existing story)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jesus loving christ this thread.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Stop responding to him. He literally started double posting when no one took up his bait after an hour and a half. Just ignore him and he'll either go away or double post his way into being probed out of the thread.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

XboxPants posted:

i think you should read my posts - i said the lack of originality is an issue because this show is trying to sell itself as a prestige drama. the bar is higher here and the show is not doing well outside of episode 3 (this is my opinion by virtue of the fact that i am saying this). WWDITS isn't trying to pretend it's anything other than a comedy but would still score higher for me on a theoretical originality scoring.

there is nothing new under the sun is generally true, and there is a new romeo and juliet version every few years. for people who really love this particular type of media, i expect this won't be an issue. however, zombie mania (for me at least) peaked around 6-8 years ago. it hasn't been long enough for fatigue to go away and there's just not enough new stuff here for me to see why this show needs to exist.

again - this is still head and shoulders above most other TV purely from a technical perspective, but is keeping the show from being great, despite being generally well executed. there are no major issues with the script, performances, shots, CGI, etc from my perspective. it's just rehashing well-worn territory and that makes it boring to me.

this is the problem i noted with the other poster who was being toxic - you say something like "why aren't you comparing downton abbey/boardwalk empire" or "why aren't you comparing WWDITS and nosferatu" and i have no clue how i'm supposed to respond to that other than that this isn't place for those comparisons, someone can compare any 2 pieces of media they want to, and you're not the person who decides what can be compared. nothing has to be a 100% exact clone to draw comparisons between media, but sharing the same genre certainly means there is a lot more in common than something that just shares the same setting.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Moltke posted:

i think you should read my posts

no

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Moltke posted:

i think you should read my posts

this is as far as I got

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Shut up

Signed,

A lurker

SwiViwS
Nov 19, 2006
C'est vert

CPA Hell posted:

Shut up

Signed,

A lurker

Seconded,

Another lurker

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a string of posts so irritating that TWO lurkers stepped out of the blink to post submit a plea for silence

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a string of posts so irritating that TWO lurkers stepped out of the blink to post submit a plea for silence

Reminds me of that one goldmined report thread that was just "I haven't posted here in like 10 years, but please do something to shut this guy up, he sucks."

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I'm a lurker too and this thread caused me to seek out the ignore feature for the first time in 19 years of being on the site.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
This show is interesting to me because I don't think it's either plot driven or character driven, I think it's thesis driven. The thesis being: "love is what makes life worth living."

Each episode explores and reinforces this thesis, as do many smaller themes, motifs, and setting elements. It's most apparent with the multiple suicides in the series. Bill kills himself because life isn't worth living without Frank. Henry makes the same conclusion with Sam. When Sam talks about what he did to protect Henry, Joel sympathesizes because everything was justified by love.

Joel is terrified of loving again after he lost his daughter and then did terrible things to protect his brother, but without love he's barely alive. Just a shambling creature living in a gray world, surviving but never living.

You can even see it in the specific type of Zombie. The people are alive in there, just being puppeted by the fungus. In their mockery of life, they show the viewer just how little value there is in survival alone.

The Fedra compounds are similar Zombie Communities. They shamble forward every day, but they're ragged, empty things. They don't have love and joy. Jackson looks healthy, it's notably full of laughter, couples, and children. It's exemplified by the love between Thomas and Maria, but it's everywhere. They love each other and they love their community, so it's thriving.

You can even compare Joel and Tommy, how comparatively haggard and tired Joel is. Joel lived in a Fedra compound and avoided love (Tess implied that's she loved him but he wasn't able to return her feelings). Meanwhile Tommy was able to find love again and build something new.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

It's not a zombie show it's a mushroom show

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
my man sat and stewed for like a week before coming back with his masterstroke arguments, that's dedication

Moltke
May 13, 2009
lol, i responded to someone who replied to me a week later. i dont know what your expectations are for a discussion thread, but this is evidently the most toxic i've seen here in a long time. sorry for posting "unauthorized opinions" about this perfect 10/10 gem

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kevin Bacon posted:

It's not a zombie show it's a mushroom show

Super Mario bros. is my favorite zombie game

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do we have a “please don’t feed the trolls” smilie somewhere?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've cracked myself up today several times at work imaging someone cracking their neck and knuckles ready to type when they see a show tryna act prestige

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

next two episodes are going to own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I never played the games but from what posters are saying I can’t wait for Sunday. I’ll be disappointed if it isn’t as funny as Shaun of the Dead though, that would be a major negative in its zombie show ranking.

E: Christ you’d think if every single person in a thread including multiple people who don’t ever post otherwise tell you you’re an idiot you’d shut up but I guess not. It’s entertaining I suppose