Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’m about 200 pages into Stormlight 4, and it really feels like Sanderson decided to just turn it into ExpositionDump.txt prepping for the next phase of the series. >_>

There’s a whole lot more telling than showing going on, and it’s kind of disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I'm re-listening to the Way of Kings audiobook. General Cosmere/worldhopper/Lost Metal spoilers, one of which I only learned from looking it up on coppermind:

I'm glad they introduced that the Ghostbloods use nicknames in TLM. Im not even sure where it was made clear (or if it's just a tiny hint from one throwaway line from Hoid) that Thaidakar is Kelsier. I was just thinking how different it would seem if in the Prologue to Way of Kings Elhokar said "You can tell Kelsier that he's too late" as he's dying during Szeth's assassination.

What a fun little tidbit that this named character and suspected assassination-attempter gets mentioned one time at the start of the series and then doesn't come up until much, much later is a big important character from the other main Cosmere series.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
You were right, Edgedancer is a neat side story. A little off tone, but that's not necessarily bad. It's also one I found on audiobook, whereas. The rest I've read instead.
I think I finished it in 2 days. I'm really blasting through this series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Something worth keeping in mind with Mistborn Era 2 and Stormlight is that (spoilers for both) Era 2 is taking place after the 5th Stormlight book in the gap of time planned between books 5 and 6.

AlternateNu posted:

I’m about 200 pages into Stormlight 4, and it really feels like Sanderson decided to just turn it into ExpositionDump.txt prepping for the next phase of the series. >_>

There’s a whole lot more telling than showing going on, and it’s kind of disappointing.

RoW is definitely the weakest book in the series and its flashback character is someone I don't think I could care any less about.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

AlternateNu posted:

RoW is a non-stop slew of words that culminate in you wondering when they'll get to the fireworks factory. Has some great conceptual world building but I found myself speeding through some of the more exposition heavy paragraphs just to see what happens next.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I actually enjoyed RoW more the second time through on my recent audiobook reread, but I seem to be in the minority.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

M_Gargantua posted:

I actually enjoyed RoW more the second time through on my recent audiobook reread, but I seem to be in the minority.

I'm in the same boat, tbh. I enjoyed RoW more on my re-read, though I will still say it's probably the weakest of the stormlight books. I don't think it was a bad book by any means, though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It's a bad book with some good parts, but I can see it working better on a reread since you can function as the editor who didn't/wasn't allowed to do their job by skipping around heavily. Kind of like skipping all the Elayne chapters in the middle books of a WoT reread.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

M_Gargantua posted:

I think its my favorite after Oathbringer. Then WoK and WoR are both tied for 3rd

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, count me in on this. I think it's just a book where there's a lot of stuff going on that's hard to grasp as it's happening, but once you have the overall arc and outcome in your head, it's a lot easier to follow the threads from start to finish. I even found myself caring more about the above-lamented flashback character on the second read.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I liked RoW but thats partly due to Kaladins depression arc that culminates over the course of the book.

As someone who delt with some hardcore depression that really resonated.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I liked both the Kalidan and the :science: arcs. The discovery about the nature of the actual rhythms of the planet or invested materials. It was neat.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It was neat, it just didn't need to go on for hundreds and hundreds of pages :negative:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I also liked RoW more on a second go around but it's certainly my least favorite Stormlight novel.

Like some others I've seen, I feel he wasted Odium. He's much lsss intimidating than in Oathbringer. He's part of why OB is my favorite Stormlight novel.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I also liked RoW more on a second go around but it's certainly my least favorite Stormlight novel.

Like some others I've seen, I feel he wasted Odium. He's much lsss intimidating than in Oathbringer. He's part of why OB is my favorite Stormlight novel.

I think this is supposed to stress how the aspect of Odium has 2 sides, the shard and the person embodying the shard. The shard is pure powerful essence but the dude beneath it is heavily flawed. It would be hard to make that clear I guess if Odium would be terrifyingly powerful and omnipotient at every cameo. And it opened it up for Taravangian to take his place and become a potentially more frightening Odium.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I think that’s because in RoW, we see more of the actual human holding Odium. He’s not just a faceless force, he’s a person with all the flaws that implies so he’s less intimidating/unknowable. But honestly I think Tara-Odium is likely to be much more dangerous than Rayse-Odium. It’s not clear how the genius/passion curse is going to interact with his power, but even on an average day/his natural level of intelligence, he’s probably still more effective than Rayse..

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I don't think his curse can have any effect on him anymore. Beyond maybe giving Cultivation a tiny crack to influence him by. Cultivation cultivated Taravangian into a useful vessel so she could cultivate odium to not be so single minded.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

MagusofStars posted:

I think that’s because in RoW, we see more of the actual human holding Odium. He’s not just a faceless force, he’s a person with all the flaws that implies so he’s less intimidating/unknowable. But honestly I think Tara-Odium is likely to be much more dangerous than Rayse-Odium. It’s not clear how the genius/passion curse is going to interact with his power, but even on an average day/his natural level of intelligence, he’s probably still more effective than Rayse..
I read it the opposite way in Oathbringer we saw the mind of Rayse in better control of the shard, thus making better long term plans. By RoW Rayse is losing control and the autopilot emotional desires of the shard is taking over and making more unforced errors. Like wanting Dalinar to be his champion in OB at least made sense considering Dalinar's dark past. Trying to subvert Kaladin into somehow being his champion in RoW feels like the shard running on pure spite autopilot.

But yeah, absolutely Taravangian will be a brilliantly effective monster. He can indulge the hateful desires of the shard while still being effective.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
RoW is much better on reread, especially if you skip the Eshonai/Venli flashbacks, which I do.

On the topic of Odium and the naming of god metals (spoilers for RoW and TLM) in TLM, Sazed says "It appears that if you detonate harmonium against trellium -- or, I suppose bavadium would be its true name..." that indicates that the god metal goes by the shard holder's name, rather than shard title (bavadium rather than Autonomium). Does this imply that the person holding the shard has some influence on the god metal produced? Would raysium have different properties than Taravangianium (god that's a stupid name).

But it's interesting that they refer to it as harmonium (sometimes ettmetal) rather than sazedium. I guess Sazed taking over and combining the shards of Preservations (Leras/Lerasium) and Ruin (Ati/Atuim) is a unique event (so far as we know) as is Taravangian taking over the sole shard of Odium from raysium so maybe this is all untrod ground.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

RoW is much better on reread, especially if you skip the Eshonai/Venli flashbacks, which I do.

I confess, I totally did this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Its whichever one rolls of the tongue.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

But it's interesting that they refer to it as harmonium (sometimes ettmetal) rather than sazedium.
IIRC that one's literally because Harmony thought "sazedium" sounded silly.

Also if you think taravangianium (yeah, fair, it'll probably be "taravangium" if it gets renamed at all) is bad, consider that we're perilously close to talking about koravelliumium.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

logically it's odiumium

or the shard is actually named odi

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 1, 2023

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Odi, shard of Adonalsi?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Is there a shard that hates mondays?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

exclusively?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It’s godmetal would be Garfieldium with an opposing metal of Nermalium.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Their invested art is powered by eating lasagna.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Imo Sazed is in denial about his true nature

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Arbuckalsium?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

March kickstarter box arrived, this one is cytoverse themed but I've never read those. Spoiled for contents, not story, although maybe there's a huge story spoiler in here and I don't even know it :shrug:

The spaceship model is pretty cool, shame I have no clue what it is

Still nothing I would have bought in retrospect, but I've got a young kid so at least the Go Fish deck will probably get used eventually.

Maybe one of the future boxes have something as cool as the spaceship for one of the series I've actually read

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Is it close enough to start taking bets on if the rest of the hard copies of Tess show up before ebook #2?

Because while I don't doubt it will eventually show up, I have doubts on the timing.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I’ve been holding out on reading Tress so I can read it as the lord intended but it’s getting more tempting to fire up my Kindle (I vastly prefer physical books)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
catching up on the past few months, so sorry i'm replying to old posts:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Probably because (Tress spoilers and Mistborn speculation) Tress is taking place much later than Stormlight and likely during/after Era 4 Mistborn so he very well could be established as a figure of fear across the Cosmere. Also keep in mind that in this book, it is mentioned that Sazed freed the Kandra. They are explicitly not referred to as Harmony. Meaning when Tress takes place Sazed has either reliquished his Shard somehow, or he's changed into another entity, possibly due to a fusion with Autonomy in some way considering the mention of the doctor having red eyes in Tress. Sure, the person mentioning this stuff knows Harmony's shardbearer name due to their intimate knowledge of events in Era 1, but I think this was Sanderson intentionally masking a major upcoming change for the Mistborn setting and Sazed/Harmony in particular

Or yeah, the Kandra who wander the Cosmere over the centuries have referred to Death as being a spiked figure and so that has infused itself into the mythology of Death in those worlds.

Characters with red eyes have shown up in at least 4 books: Tress and the Emerald Sea, Oathbringer, Bands of Mourning and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell.

Brandon gave some hints about this (not really a spoiler for anything but high level cosmere mechanics, although these pages are full of other spoilers so be careful):
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/360-legion-release-party/#e10804
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/34-arcanum-unbounded-seattle-signing/#e5651
And later confirmed it when someone guessed the meaning:
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/173-oathbringer-san-francisco-signing/#e8340

FirstSelector
Does red in cosmere signify one Shard co-opting or corrupting another Shard's magic?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes.

It seems like he's definitely not been consistent about this usage, or at least not obviously, but that he wants to use it "when it seems cool", and honestly that's like once or twice man

aparmenideanmonad posted:

It's a bad book with some good parts, but I can see it working better on a reread since you can function as the editor who didn't/wasn't allowed to do their job by skipping around heavily. Kind of like skipping all the Elayne chapters in the middle books of a WoT reread.

The editing of RoW was really off, especially on re-read--the pacing is off, there are weird repetitions of words and phrases (more so than Brandon's habit of repeating the same set of words he likes, or ones that sound similar), and other issues I'm forgetting. You can see the difference between the work of his previous stormlight editor from Tor (who retired maybe?) and his new editor, it's striking.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

pointlessone posted:

Is it close enough to start taking bets on if the rest of the hard copies of Tess show up before ebook #2?

Because while I don't doubt it will eventually show up, I have doubts on the timing.

The White Sand omnibus came out, anything is possible.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Louisgod posted:

I’ve been holding out on reading Tress so I can read it as the lord intended but it’s getting more tempting to fire up my Kindle (I vastly prefer physical books)

In less than a month you can just walk into a bookstore and buy a physical copy if you want.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Ornamented Death posted:

In less than a month you can just walk into a bookstore and buy a physical copy if you want.

Sure but why when I have one on the way from the Kickstarter?

I did give in though and started it on my Kindle and it’s so, so sweet and darling so far (~8% in) and I hope it retains its sweetness as it’s going to be a joy to read to my kids if so.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Louisgod posted:

Sure but why when I have one on the way from the Kickstarter?

So you can read a physical copy sooner than May or June?

I was just pointing out itsxan option.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Ornamented Death posted:

So you can read a physical copy sooner than May or June?

I was just pointing out itsxan option.

No totally, it's an option though I was under the impression people who went in on the Kickstarter would receive physical books before brick and mortar stores did but either way, got an email update this morning saying the Sanderson team received a bunch of crates in today and are working on shipping this weekend.

I'm about a third of the way through Tress and love it so far, glad I decided to go the Kindle route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Louisgod posted:

No totally, it's an option though I was under the impression people who went in on the Kickstarter would receive physical books before brick and mortar stores did but either way, got an email update this morning saying the Sanderson team received a bunch of crates in today and are working on shipping this weekend.
My understanding is that it's something like this:

1.) Kickstarter backers getting the physical books first *was* the original intent, in February and March.
2.) The contracts with brick and mortar stores have set target delivery dates that can't be moved.
3.) The timelines were set up so that all the Kickstarters would be fulfilled first, then production would continue with the brick and mortar version.
4.) Some unexpected delays hit the production process, so they books slower than planned, which screwed the entire timetable and they weren't able to complete the Kickstarter orders as early as planned.
5.) *scrambling* Can we get enough books soon enough to still get everything out to the Kickstarters without breaking our store contracts? If not, we might have to delay some people's Kickstarted books because we cannot break our store contracts.