Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

fuctifino posted:

A reality TV nobody was just sentenced to 21 months in prison for uploading cctv footage of him having sex with someone to Onlyfans.

Just look at the prick as he arrived for sentencing:

https://twitter.com/charlie_crispy/status/1631651552414023685

Love to see the cameraman at the end, put down his expensive SLR style camera to film this on his mobile phone.

Edit: A friend of mine has told me that the DUP have released an official response to the Windsor Framework.

Summary is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHash5takWU

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Banning non-electric vehicles in 2030 probably means that the alternatives will suck for a bit, and then will get better.

Like with RoHS, the lead-free replacement solders sucked rear end, and for a few years it may have caused more harm than good through increased e-waste. But once a critical mass of the market had moved to RoHS compliance lead free soldering techniques improved to the point where you didn't see much reliability difference.

CFL lights suck too (in part due to RoHS concerns, but also in general), but it's one of the eternal liberal vs. planner debates as to whether the market would have spent anywhere near enough time developing LED lights as a CFL replacement if regulators hadn't phased out incandescents. LEDs are better than both CFLs and incandescents (for almost every purpose) but were not a mature product at the time incandescents were phased out.

Presumably given enough time and research interest and funding LEDs would have become mature tech at some point, and there's always a danger to "we must do something and this is something" type approaches, but a well considered phased approach to scrapping incandescents spurred LED development.

Of course some people aren't happy about that. They're the same people who enjoy hanging thieves and beating children apparently
https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/847017907800412160

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bring back corporal punishment in parliament

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bring back incandescent passports, smoking in ounces, and capital punishment in schools.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

Don’t threaten them with a good time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kill All Cops posted:

greens are kinda shite with how they are pressuring scotgov to go green and close off north sea oil

Oh no, how terrible, finally acknowledging how the hosed the planet is & starting to do something that should've been done decades ago. Scientists have been talking about the greenhouse effect since the 1890s, by the 1960s voices are getting louder, by the '80s you really have a consensus forming. 40 loving years & we've done next to nothing. Yeah, well, it's going to be painful ripping off the bandage now but it still needs to be done.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Banning non-electric vehicles in 2030 probably means that the alternatives will suck for a bit, and then will get better.

Like with RoHS, the lead-free replacement solders sucked rear end, and for a few years it may have caused more harm than good through increased e-waste. But once a critical mass of the market had moved to RoHS compliance lead free soldering techniques improved to the point where you didn't see much reliability difference.

CFL lights suck too (in part due to RoHS concerns, but also in general), but it's one of the eternal liberal vs. planner debates as to whether the market would have spent anywhere near enough time developing LED lights as a CFL replacement if regulators hadn't phased out incandescents. LEDs are better than both CFLs and incandescents (for almost every purpose) but were not a mature product at the time incandescents were phased out.

Presumably given enough time and research interest and funding LEDs would have become mature tech at some point, and there's always a danger to "we must do something and this is something" type approaches, but a well considered phased approach to scrapping incandescents spurred LED development.

Of course some people aren't happy about that. They're the same people who enjoy hanging thieves and beating children apparently

The main reason we need to keep fluorescent lights is that LEDs don't make for very good weapons in deathmatch wrestling, where as long fluorescent tubes are great.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

Finally, a policy Liz Truss can get behind in front of.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Traditional incandescent light bulbs" is pretty funny in itself.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ha Ha Ha. Yes!

https://twitter.com/metrouk/status/1630937883086315520?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

how is it still a million

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought that it was still Chris Tarrant who did that, but he left to focus on his drink driving.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jel Shaker posted:

Because they don’t run the lucrative phone lines for people to ring in and enter anymore after it was all revealed to be massively rigged

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Leaving the EU so we can bring back hot lightbulbs.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

lol when it started if you won the big prize you'd think "I'm rich!" Now you'd think "I can buy a mid-sized house!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wait are these the comments he made in the Sun like six months ago or did he do something else?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Racist remarks, 1964-Present.

But specifically yeah I think it's the psychosexually nightmarish stuff in The Scum

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Comrade Fakename posted:

lol when it started if you won the big prize you'd think "I'm rich!" Now you'd think "I can buy a mid-sized house!"

According to the BoE inflation calculator the prize should be £1,776,801.96 today. According to the Nationwide UK house price index the value should be £3,995,922!

Edit: I can't seem to find a convenient wage inflation calculator but I'm guessing it'd be something like ~2m. Can't be arsed to calculate it myself.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I know it's cliche but I am always amazed when anyone mentions anything from more than 3 months ago and I think 'gently caress, that was this year?'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I know it's cliche but I am always amazed when anyone mentions anything from more than 3 months ago and I think 'gently caress, that was this year?'

Given it's March 3rd, that would be pretty surprising

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1631694573746495494?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lmao its such a good sign when you're turning off replies in advance

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The spice must flow

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

The main reason we need to keep fluorescent lights is that LEDs don't make for very good weapons in deathmatch wrestling, where as long fluorescent tubes are great.

P sure you can get polycarbonate LED lightsabers that will break your opponent's skull first these days.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

P sure you can get polycarbonate LED lightsabers that will break your opponent's skull first these days.

The future is here!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

I thought that it was still Chris Tarrant who did that, but he left to focus on his drink driving.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahahaha. He looks as though he knows he's hosed it

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1631684688518455302

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ah well, nevertheless

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Like to see him wriggle his way out of this jam.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Love to battle for my political future. Gets the blood flowing.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

If it was down to private industry wed still be usiny candles. The government is one of the great innovators via regulation and should do it more. If they actually had laws and punishment in place for punishing sewage ospills for instance then the private companies who say its too expensive to deal with would magically find a solution to the problem.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

domhal posted:

Love to battle for my political future. Gets the spaff flowing.

Johnson'ed that for you

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

can you be barred as an MP and still be NATO secretary at the same time? well, let’s find out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Drone_Fragger posted:

If it was down to private industry wed still be usiny candles. The government is one of the great innovators via regulation and should do it more. If they actually had laws and punishment in place for punishing sewage ospills for instance then the private companies who say its too expensive to deal with would magically find a solution to the problem.
Private industry shouldn't be in the business of providing water and sanitation anyway. All the free market arguments about consumer choice and competition fall apart instantly because there isn't any, there's one single monopoly water and sewerage provider for any given geographical area, any 'free market' solution is stupid to the point of absurd, like there's a bunch of different competing pipes or the public utility runs the pipes but you choose your water provider, and if one of the half a dozen decides to poo poo in the river then you still have poo poo in your river.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Private industry shouldn't be in the business of providing water and sanitation anyway. All the free market arguments about consumer choice and competition fall apart instantly because there isn't any, there's one single monopoly water and sewerage provider for any given geographical area, any 'free market' solution is stupid to the point of absurd, like there's a bunch of different competing pipes or the public utility runs the pipes but you choose your water provider, and if one of the half a dozen decides to poo poo in the river then you still have poo poo in your river.

Snow Crash was indeed a documentary.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A 'poo poo cow' scenario, if you will.

With the 'smart cow' situation, only one cow needs to figure out how to open the gate for all the cows to leave, so with 'build a better lightbulb' multiple competing ideas are a good thing.

With many cows figuring out how to poo poo in my yard without me noticing only one of them needs to succeed for me to have a big poo poo in my yard.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1631695647249256448

:allears:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I posted this in the other UK threads so forgive the repeat.

How many countries in the world have privatized their water and sewerage systems?

Two.

Which countries?

England and Wales.

In the whole world.

Another fun one.

There are only two countries in the world where representatives of the state religion automatically get seats in their own parliament/senate/assembly.
Which ones?

England and Iran

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And Vatican City, although I guess you wouldn't live there if you weren't actually part of that ecclesia, so that's a bit different.

e: for the bishops one. I have no idea where the Pope's toilet goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What loving justification does anyone have to argue for incandescent light bulbs? Do they feel their energy bills are too low?

I remember the last place I rented, probably around 2011, had a living room lit by 9x 50W GU10 halogen bulbs. 450W just to keep the lights on.