Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

more falafel please posted:

the guy in die hard was before TNG

Oh yeah? Well was it before uhhhh Reading Rainbow???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

cant find it on scihub or elsewhere. https://www.terry.uga.edu/directory/people/nicole-davis worst case scenario you can email her and ask for a copy. that's pretty standard

Doctoral Student

Department of Marketing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

Doctoral Student

Department of Marketing

someone call a doctor... my campaign can't breathe

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Vox Nihili posted:

Doctoral Student

Department of Marketing

ah, so a fake doctor (not philosophy department)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

rko posted:

naturally, the angle the tweeter takes with it is “Chinese psychological warfare”

https://twitter.com/memotv/status/1630198033819287554

china found a way to use the us as training data for the ai that runs the great firewall

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Shear Modulus posted:

knowing that someone wants to read the full paper will probably make her day

eh at that point you're just happy you got at least one of your three done. but yeah you are technically allowed to give away pdfs of stuff you're an author on, weirdly enough. sometimes it's a limited number though (lol??). academic publishing is the dumbest racket in the world. elsavier and company get everything for free. transcripts, peer review obviously. sometimes even editing. and they charge on both ends.

it's actually incredible

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

[Cyberpunk dystopia] Black AI is so unusual

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

john oliver just did an episode on AI and you'd think a writer reads this thread

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

christmas boots posted:

I like how in the Static Shock cartoon he was a black hero with a white IT nerd sidekick

Remember the episode where the one kid who was bullied brought a gun to school to kill the bully and the sidekick kid got shot instead

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/HideYoApes/status/1629967639383793664

I hate it when I lose my BAYC, MAYC, Koda, 3 Doggos, BAYC Land, and 9 rumble Kongs because I wanted to play #dookeydash on my laptop.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
https://www.thedrive.com/news/future-fords-could-repossess-themselves-and-drive-away-if-you-miss-payments

quote:

Although auto loan delinquency rates have been down since the height of the pandemic, Ford applied for a patent to make the repossession process go smoother. For the bank, that is.

The patent document was submitted to the United States Patent Office in August 2021 but it was formally published Feb. 23. It's titled "Systems and Methods to Repossess a Vehicle." It describes several ways to make the life of somebody who has missed several car payments harder.

It explicitly says the system, which could be installed on any future vehicle in the automaker's lineup with a data connection would be capable of "[disabling] a functionality of one or more components of the vehicle." Everything from the engine to the air conditioning. For vehicles with autonomous or semi-autonomous driving capability, the system could "move the vehicle from a first spot to a second spot that is more convenient for a tow truck to tow the vehicle... move the vehicle from the premises of the owner to a location such as, for example, the premises of the repossession agency," or, if the lending institution considers the "financial viability of executing a repossession procedure" to be unjustifiable, the vehicle could drive itself to the junkyard.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Folks, the email addresses of academics are generally public. You can just email them and ask for stuff! I ask them for book recommendations.
Where are you finding these academics that respond to emails?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Can't wait till the foreclosure process on a home is that the bank locks me out while I'm at the grocery.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cat botherer posted:

Where are you finding these academics that respond to emails?

Universities mostly

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://twitter.com/HideYoApes/status/1629967639383793664

I hate it when I lose my BAYC, MAYC, Koda, 3 Doggos, BAYC Land, and 9 rumble Kongs because I wanted to play #dookeydash on my laptop.
sounds like the rick and morty guy having a stroke

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tesla should get in on this. If the owner goes behind on their bank payments it just runs them over next time they try and get in.

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
just get a linksys and you're good

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Is that the model or the password?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Ruffian Price posted:

Is that the model or the password?

No, my password is buttholelover69691914,

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqusrz7Xs51r0uzl6.mp4

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica

tokin opposition posted:

what you no likeah the food? :discourse:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

tokin opposition posted:

ahh I see you are a lastpass customer

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

in Infinite Jest, everyone is creeped out by video calling technology because it means you have to look good to talk on the phone and it shatters the illusion that the person on the other end is giving you their full attention. So eventually, everyone just buys specialty pictures to put in front of their cameras of what they'd like to look like, so that the other person can have something nice to look at and both parties will be freed of the obligation to spend 100% of their attention on the call.

lol this was the first thing that came into my mind when i saw tweets about the filter go viral

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1631630665731981312

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

roomba keeping me safe while working from home

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

oh yeah that thing looks like it's gonna do a lot to stop a mass shooting

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh yeah that thing looks like it's gonna do a lot to stop a mass shooting

about as much as the average security guard yeah

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ulmont posted:

:drat:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ulmont posted:

not true, the average security guard will actively avoid gunfire whereas you might be able to shield yourself behind this for a few seconds while you are attempting to RUN, HIDE, FIGHT

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

It's time to Automate the Police

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

It's time to Automate the Police

Robocop but he doesn't have a gun he just follows you around and whines about how you should show him your ID or he'll be forced to call his supervisor.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
We had one of those robots here a few years ago and it committed suicide in its first week on the job

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/7/17/15986042/dc-security-robot-k5-falls-into-water

https://twitter.com/bilalfarooqui/status/887025375754166272

T Zero has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Mar 3, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

how far we've come

was it 30 rock or arrested development that made fun of this

e: apparently community did

Oglethorpe has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Mar 3, 2023

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Arrested Development had the surrogate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC0mTMz9CdM&t=31s

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

yeah i was thinking it was 30 rock and jenna maloney got stuck behind a door or something using the segueway-tablet thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ulmont posted:

I'm gonna laugh so hard if more security guards have stopped shootings than cops because it sounds frightfully possible

e: bobs burgers had it too

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

Austin Police Department launches AI non-emergency reporting system

The AI assistant conducts a full interview with the person filing a report and provides "key information" to the department, according to APD.

Author: Britny Eubank

Published: 12:17 PM CST March 2, 2023

Updated: 6:19 PM CST March 2, 2023

AUSTIN, Texas — An artificial intelligence (AI) assistant is now taking some police reports for the Austin Police Department (APD).

APD announced Thursday that it has partnered with Versaterm Public Safety's Case Service to launch a non-emergency online reporting system via ireportaustin.com.

According to APD, Case Service is an AI assistant that instantly communicates with community members through text, web, mobile and voice.

"The AI assistant conducts a full interview with the person filing a report and provides key information to the police department," APD said in a press release. "This system allows the report to be accepted into the official offense report database within hours or a similar time frame as if an officer wrote the report. This platform reduces wait times for community members and speeds up the investigation process."

For months, Austinites have reported waiting weeks to submit a police report for crimes such as burglary, minor assaults or a noisy neighbor to begin an officer response or police investigation. 

Earlier this year, the KVUE Defenders shared the story of a woman who called Austin 311 to report a neighborhood crime – only to find herself still waiting for a call back from APD two weeks later. The Defenders learned that her case was sitting in a pile of nearly 6,000 people awaiting a return call to file a police report.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/police/austin-police-ai-non-emergency-reporting/269-2d3eb69c-b46d-4de0-8db5-9a535135ebcb

Let's get dystopian it's Friday motherfuckerrrrrrrrrs

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

With this new AI tech, police will be able to ignore your calls with much greater efficiency!,

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oglethorpe posted:

john oliver just did an episode on AI and you'd think a writer reads this thread

Everyone is somehow associated with SA in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Comedy... gold?