Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

though week for Ukraine. lost Bakmut and their northern offensive as immediately stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lord of Pie posted:

with infrastructure like that the Ukrainians are becoming more American by the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTodK24KG6E

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it was this thread that we went over how the official narrative of Kursk was written by Wehrmacht officers for the US Army in the 50's and that when the Soviet archives opened in 1991 it was discovered that the vaunted SS Panzers ran headlong into marked minefields, got stuck in the mud and that far from crashing waves of Soviet tanks overrunning those heroes the Russians were as often as not just perplexed by the German's actions while they plinked at them with dug in anti-tank guns.

I would not have expected the reaction to the Ukraine war to be pretending the Soviet archives were never opened or whatever this emerging popular history is.

The shot they had in the NYT was the exact one we debated about earlier and it very much looked like most of those tanks were still operational. The Russians probably did get into an ambush situation and there are at least some confirmed vehicles but what was an fairly successful ambush needed to amped up into some calamity that stretches your imagination especially considering most of the forces involved were 1-2 brigades.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

euphronius posted:

though week for Ukraine. lost Bakmut and their northern offensive as immediately stopped.

are you talking about the group of irregulars that snuck across the border and tried to kill a bunch of women and children in a small town before being driven off as the northern offensive?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

are you talking about the group of irregulars that snuck across the border and tried to kill a bunch of women and children in a small town before being driven off as the northern offensive?

That's pretty offensive if you ask me.

I do occasionally feel like I'm going crazy because I remember the western public demanding Chechnya be carpet bombed after the Ossetia school siege, and that was only what, 2005?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

That's pretty offensive if you ask me.

I do occasionally feel like I'm going crazy because I remember the western public demanding Chechnya be carpet bombed after the Ossetia school siege, and that was only what, 2005?

Was that a thing? I remember a lot of "what mystery gas did Russia use to gas IT'S OWN PEOPLE" or am I thinking about a different thing? That was an opera, maybe?
Edit: Weird, I really don't remember the school attack at all.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Mar 3, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

Was that a thing? I remember a lot of "what mystery gas did Russia use to gas IT'S OWN PEOPLE" or am I thinking about a different thing? That was an opera, maybe?

That was the Moscow theatre siege, which was quite a bit earlier iirc.

e: Also, it was some inane romantic comedy or something, if I'm getting that right.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

euphronius posted:

lol that I’ve never heard of Blair Mountain .

there was also the 1921 Tulsa pogrom in which bombs were dropped from aircraft onto the city

and the 1919 Cleveland riot in which tanks were used and killed two people

the US came dangerously close to civil war in the period immediately after WW1 and it’s been really effectively memory holed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Starsfan posted:

is there another offensive?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
At best that was a raid, and Beslan was in 2004.

Anyway, the current talk of the town on the Western side is that Russia is out of gas essentially after Bakhmut since Wagner is the only effective unit in the Russian army. So time for SA to take its bets if this is true or not.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, the current talk of the town on the Western side is that Russia is out of gas essentially after Bakhmut since Wagner is the only effective unit in the Russian army. So time for SA to take its bets if this is true or not.

russia is only now out of gas? I thought all their gas was stolen by naked conscripts and swapped for shoes and toilets?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Are we in mud season already?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The last time an auxiliary took a big city (mariupol) it lead to the main russian army sieging severodontesk which as we all know culminated prematurely.

And now we have wagner mercs taking bakhmut with the only thing left in the region being another twin city. So ukraine better hope that russia is out of gas or else they might get another premature culmination

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bedpan posted:

russia is only now out of gas? I thought all their gas was stolen by naked conscripts and swapped for shoes and toilets?

Metaphorically speaking, but they are out of everything, and in the next couple weeks the combat capabilities of the Russian military are essentially finished at that point and the AFU will have the complete control over the situation. This is what I have been told by experts from these very forums. Their prediction is ironclad.

genericnick posted:

Are we in mud season already?

Yeah and that is why the Russians have failed and pretty much have no hope at this point after their devastating defeat at Bakhmut.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Mar 3, 2023

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Metaphorically, they are out of everything, and in the next couple weeks the combat capabilities of the Russian military are essentially finished at that point the AFU will have the complete control over the situation. This is what I have been told by experts from these very forums. Their prediction is ironclad.

Yeah and that is why the Russians have failed and pretty much have no hope at this point.

Happy for ukraine

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
for maximum posting honor please remember to toxx your predictions!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

paul_soccer12 posted:

Happy for ukraine

Time to breath easy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ElbridgeColby/status/1631668680764293120?t=bO5tpO7sQCN3f56QXV8Ttw&s=19

When all you have are sanctions...

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Metaphorically speaking, but they are out of everything, and in the next couple weeks the combat capabilities of the Russian military are essentially finished at that point and the AFU will have the complete control over the situation. This is what I have been told by experts from these very forums. Their prediction is ironclad.

Ask those experts "what time is it in moscow," since they are obviously paid agents of Putin for spreading such enormous falsehoods. Combat capabilities of the Russian military have already been reduced to less than zero months ago. There has been lots of reporting on this. These experts could use some lessons in media literacy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I should sanction my laundry into cleaning itself, cool trick.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

we have serious concerns about the game Pathologic 2 from Russian studio Ice Pick Lodge, whose company name glorifies Stalinist murder while the themes of the game promote organ trafficking and the asiatic barbarism inherent to the Russian character. mods?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Xi the heroin smuggler

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/AlexandruC4/status/1631643173054185477

hmmm so russia destroyed the pipeline so they wouldnt have to repair it a most devious scheme

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Russia ran out of bullets months ago, and since the entire Russian army has been killed already we can only conclude that Ukraine is being haunted by spooky ghosts

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If Biden want to expedite the Taiwan crisis, all he has to do is visit Taiwan himself.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

speaking of revolutions, do you have a take on the use of artillery in the suppression of civil strife, whether at a theoretical level or historical? I ask in the context of, our visual conception of revolts / riots / uprisings usually comes down to riot police, uniformed soldiers/infantry, and maybe tanks or other armored vehicles, but not artillery

:france:

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Zelensky... oh curse you you glorious bastard. He's... really doing it, isnt he? He's still loving fighting, after all this time. :unsmith:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
e; drat how do i even image host

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Russia ran out of bullets months ago, and since the entire Russian army has been killed already we can only conclude that Ukraine is being haunted by spooky ghosts

Ukraine has won every battle, Russia is out of everything and Ukraine has all the super weapons.

but, Russia has unstoppable human wave attacks.

given the above assumptions, Russia has lost 27842589432 people and Ukraine is doing great.

now, the above series of beliefs would be hard to maintain if I let myself read any account from Ukraine or Russia. so, what if I just don’t do that and instead post memes and sick gore vids of soldiers I’m told are Russian? problem solved.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

euphronius posted:

lol that I’ve never heard of Blair Mountain .

There's certainly a reason we never talk about it

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

tfw you take your ball and go home and the other kids just get another ball.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

soon putin will try to get money out of his purse (because hes gay) and a moth will fly out

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

yeah there’s a specter haunting Europe all right :twisted:

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

The color revolution in Kyiv wasn't about east and west.

It was about violence, just like every other time in history.

Yanukovich wasn't ready to fight and kill to hold on to power, the nazis were. They're in charge, he isn't.

Lukashenko actually was a strongman, despite whatever that lying sack of poo poo McFaul says, that's why he crushed the protests and Belarus hasn't fallen into a civil war yet.

afaik back in 2013/2014 during the protests Putin convinced Yanukovich to withdraw police forces in order to not escalate things further. This happened after talks with members of the EU and US. Right wingers abused the vacuum and stormed the rada. The US immediately accepted the new government as lawful and here we are.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

lol, loving deripaska. still hasn’t gotten over that one time putin chewed him out in public

https://youtu.be/48Kk7kobMQY

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly the regulars are pushing on Kupyansk, so we'll see.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Another video from Prigozhin in Bakhmut. Not sure about the whole showing off POW, but they are way too young and way too old.

https://twitter.com/thatdayin1992/status/1631714181853454345

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i like that the wagner dudes are simultaneously some kinda ragtag conscripted penal battalions and also tier one operators who are the best of the best :umberto:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

euphronius posted:

when has an insurgence in America even gotten to the point where artillery was needed. I mean besides the civil war

Jackson Square in New Orleans has a cannon that was used against the KKK in the 1870s, before the KKK successfully seized control of the state in 1877.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

bad news everyone

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1631636166901485573

russia is likely to reinvade ukraine at any moment