Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Physical copy of Witch on the Holy Night finally came in after the storm delay. Was starting to regret not just getting the digital edition months ago but the artbook is nice and big so I'm happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
All of the Science adventure series (Chaos Head, Steins Gate, Robotic Notes etc) are all on sale this weekend on Steam.

Picked up Robotic Notes now that I’ve actually played Chaos Head and can catch all the references. Though recommended you patch it with the Committee of Zero patch.

Edit: so far this feels like the SoL parts of Steins Gate (the least interesting parts) stretched out into an entire game.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 18, 2023

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
yeah the community patch isn't optional for that one. they ended up having to change 33% of the lines in the entire script to correct typos and continuity errors. I don't think the PC version even has full mouse support without it, which is absolutely bonkers

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WarpDogs posted:

yeah the community patch isn't optional for that one. they ended up having to change 33% of the lines in the entire script to correct typos and continuity errors. I don't think the PC version even has full mouse support without it, which is absolutely bonkers

Which one? Robotic Notes?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Chaos Head

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Chaos;Head they replaced the full translation with their own that they were working on for years before the official release. Robotics;Notes they did 'only' replace/fix about a third. This series does not have very good English releases.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I remember vanilla Steins;Gate being mostly fine, why are the others so much worse?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

All of the Science adventure series (Chaos Head, Steins Gate, Robotic Notes etc) are all on sale this weekend on Steam.

Picked up Robotic Notes now that I’ve actually played Chaos Head and can catch all the references. Though recommended you patch it with the Committee of Zero patch.

Edit: so far this feels like the SoL parts of Steins Gate (the least interesting parts) stretched out into an entire game.

What's wrong with it, I just started robotic

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
They've changed the line to "Whose eyes are those eyes", and I just can't get used to it. Probably just me being dumb 'cause English is not my native language, but I've never heard someone say smth like "Whose sandwich is that sandwich?"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It's probably a consequence of normally when actually asking about possession of an object, one would probably say something like "whose is this/that" without directly referring to it, which you can't really do with something intangible.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

woodenchicken posted:

They've changed the line to "Whose eyes are those eyes", and I just can't get used to it. Probably just me being dumb 'cause English is not my native language, but I've never heard someone say smth like "Whose sandwich is that sandwich?"

in english we just point at the thing in question and say "whose is that" which probably doesn't work well in a 2D video game

Though, that's easily solvable and has been done before in even Ace Attorney where they just show an icon of the object above the chat window

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a dramatic turn of phrase it but it makes sense given the context. They did it as "Whose eyes are those?" in one of the other games and it's just not as good a catchphrase

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
"Whose eyes are those eyes" is great because it makes perfect sense in the context of the full quote, but it's also feels off because it's phrased in such an unusual way

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

WarpDogs posted:

"Whose eyes are those eyes" is great because it makes perfect sense in the context of the full quote, but it's also feels off because it's phrased in such an unusual way

it's the kind of phrasing that makes me think of poetic/lyrical English rather than standard prose

unfortunately that same fact also kind of makes me mentally sing it to the tune of woody guthrie's This Land Is Your Land

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So how good are Chaos;Head, Chaos;Child and Robotic;Notes anyway? Keeping in mind I've read Steins;Gate and enjoyed it.

Also, is Steins;Gate 0 worth bothering with?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Thuryl posted:

it's the kind of phrasing that makes me think of poetic/lyrical English rather than standard prose

unfortunately that same fact also kind of makes me mentally sing it to the tune of woody guthrie's This Land Is Your Land

That's a really great way to phrase it. For me it evokes the same feeling as reading mythology or religious texts, though now that I think about it those are also frequently poetic in nature. Really the comparison I'm itching to make is to Soulsborne, as it's something that could have been said by any number of NPCs in Bloodborne

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So how good are Chaos;Head, Chaos;Child and Robotic;Notes anyway? Keeping in mind I've read Steins;Gate and enjoyed it.

I did not enjoy Robotics Notes, unfortunately. Very slice-of-lifey, and one of the weaker protagonists. Never tried Dash

C;H and C;C are both great but also real divisive, largely due to the subjects it deals with and (as always for sciadv) its protagonists. I'd say they are extremely good as works of art, but are something I wouldn't recommend without knowing a lot about a person first, especially their content warnings

I really liked S;G0. It's weaker than S;G, but it has a lot of fun moments and I really liked the cast and worldbuilding it adds onto S;G. There's a really goofy way to play the two games that some people recommend, wherein S;G0 serves as an entire new route to S;G proper, and it absolutely ruled.

You already beat S;G so you probably don't need to do it, but so you understand, the suggestion is to quit S;G in the True End route when Okabe hops out of the time machine for the first time, play through all of S;G0, then go back to S;G

It sounds absolutely nuts, but I had a blast doing it and it was worth it

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 19, 2023

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Steins;Gate is the best sci-adv VN by such a margin that I'd be closer to just blanket grouping virtually all of the rest into a vague "just kind of mediocre" bin and I don't think liking S;G as a prerequisite is going to be indicative of any of the rest gelling with a person at all.

This covers S;G 0 as well which felt wholly unnecessary and superfluous outside of the new char being kind of alright.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think Steins;Gate just has an incredibly good core premise that massively elevates it compared to the other games.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Steins;Gate 0 has a lot of neat ideas but fails to follow through with any of them because the narrative lacks focus. Also, you need to watch a drama CD to get a satisfying ending for Stein;Gate 0, because the actual ending is missing a lot of details. Oh, and they literally didn't translate the last line of the game unless they patched that.

The plot of Robotic Notes eventually picks up and I enjoyed it. Its definitely slow-paced at the start though.

Robotic Notes Dash is bad. They added Daru from Steins;Gate as a character but its creepy because he is hanging out with high schoolers all day. Also the protagonist became more mature, but ending up losing their entire personality in the process. Another issue is that like Steins;Gate 0 there is no narrative focus. The only 2 good routes are non-canon, and the canon route is just a rehash of the ending of the first game. The game is all fanservice and no substance. Oh, and they even changed a character's ambition from wanting to be a meteorologist to wanting to be an idol, which is really boring and lame.

Science Adventure just really lacks ambition in its sequels (except maybe Chaos; Child, I haven't played the Chaos series yet), and is happy to just keep on churning out fanservice instead of doing anything interesting.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
While we're at it, I don't think this has been posted: Committee of 0 are now working on fan translation of Chaos Head and Chaos Child: Love Chu Chu spin-offs.
https://sonome.dareno.me/2023/02/05/committee-of-zero-progress-update-9.html

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Steins;Gate 0 has a lot of neat ideas but fails to follow through with any of them because the narrative lacks focus. Also, you need to watch a drama CD to get a satisfying ending for Stein;Gate 0, because the actual ending is missing a lot of details. Oh, and they literally didn't translate the last line of the game unless they patched that.

I remember being kind of mad at 0 exactly because of everything you are saying here when I went through it five years ago or so. I never heard about a drama CD, though? Is it something that's been translated somewhere and what is it called?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Saoshyant posted:

I remember being kind of mad at 0 exactly because of everything you are saying here when I went through it five years ago or so. I never heard about a drama CD, though? Is it something that's been translated somewhere and what is it called?

I think its this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU3gNYUEcSM, this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6iEhPanf0 and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwNalfEMJs

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 19, 2023

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Comparing CH and CC I’d say that CC is more consistent; while CH has higher highs but also lower lows. There’s long stretches where being in Takumi’s mind is extremely unpleasant, but I also think it’s a bit necessary for some of the emotional beats to hit hard. And I found the answers to the mysteries in CH more satisfying. Chaos Child though had me pretty engaged throughout.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Just finished 9-nine. It was really good!

The basic premise is "school kids have magic powers, save the day", but the powers are unusual and the rules for each one are purposefully vague to allow characters to be very clever with them. Small spoilery example: There's a girl who can steal things at a distance so long as she can see it. Later she realizes she can steal things based off of a mental image of the object instead, which eventually leads to her stealing intangible things... like a person's sight. It actually reminded me of D&D when you're able to convince the DM of an extremely novel way to use your spells. It rules.

It's split into 4 episodes with each one being a route. It's a little jarring because it feels like this should be one VN with branching paths as opposed to 4 linear VNs. Each episode has its own story and drama, and there's also an overarching story / metanarrative that concludes in episode 4.

The plot structure is very familiar as far as VNs go - if you've played S;G, Muv-Luv, Baldr Sky, etc., you'll immediately get what's going on and how it'll all end up. The ending was ok, lots of buildup with too quick of a resolution, and it doesn't help that all the action scenes in the VN were kinda lame and required the same tropes to work. Slightly more spoilery impressions: I was disappointed how everything ended up so neat and tidy. The things being done were very complicated and should have had major consequences, or at least complications, but it never fully explores them. I actually wish it had bad endings ala S;G to look at some of more existentially hosed up ramifications

The best part by far was the cast. Each character has an extremely distinct personality and voice, yet with a lot of shared overlap, eg. the chuuni respected loner can nerd out with the socially anxious shy girl over their love of anime, etc. Good humor, fun interactions, just a cozy experience overall. It feels like an actual group of friends, where the protagonist is part of the group and not the sole thing everyone revolves around. This is also true of each heroine, as it mostly avoids the whole "each heroine is dragged down by emotional baggage that only the protagonist can solve" problem that plagues a lot of VNs

My last lingering complaint is that I'm pretty sure the episodes were written sequentially and the story changed as time went on. It's nothing major, but there are inconsistencies that build up, and you'll start to find holes in character motivations and how powers work if you think about them too much.

Solid 8/10, could rise higher in a hypothetical future release that combines all the episodes and slightly rewrites the script to make it one cohesive narrative

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I'm really glad you enjoyed 9-nine; it was a fun project to work on. Sometimes you just want a People With Superpowers Fight Each Other story with smart writing and smart characters.

I think the future combined-episode release you're hoping for is a thing that's been officially confirmed now, although I don't think there's a set release date on it.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Thuryl posted:

I'm really glad you enjoyed 9-nine; it was a fun project to work on. Sometimes you just want a People With Superpowers Fight Each Other story with smart writing and smart characters.

I think the future combined-episode release you're hoping for is a thing that's been officially confirmed now, although I don't think there's a set release date on it.

Well between this and Baldr Sky, I'm currently 2/2 for enjoying projects you've worked on! :v: I thought the localization was excellent

I'm now onto Clannad. I already played and loved Little Busters, and I'm ready for more Key friendship and more Key sadness

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://noisypixel.net/uchikoshi-visual-novel-infinity-series-remakes/

Seems the Infinity series may be getting remakes.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Hello i have been in a coma for 9 years, when is soul sacrifice 2 coming out

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1630108978679287808

That makes me feel a little better about having just played Never7 a few months ago, but I might still wait to see what the remakes are like before I play Ever17.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Id just play it imo, the Xbox 360 remake wasn't good like at all so I have little confidence in future remakes being good

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I just hope Remember 11 gets a remake, because it deserves it (and man, I'd love to hear some remixes of its OST because it bops). But the interview that this comes from only mentions Never 7 and Ever 17 by name.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also Mages might run out of money before it comes out

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Also Mages might run out of money before it comes out

Also true

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Does anyone have any experience with doing txt dumps of scripts from games?

I've wanted to and tried at one point last year to rip the script from Magatsu Barai (to make it easier to attempt to read, it's a pretty rough one), which was a Nintendo Switch only VN by Light. I couldn't find enough information on tools to extract text from from Nintendo Switch games or anyone who was knowledgeable enough in that scene that could point me in the right direction, and I think it would involve specialized tools specifically configured to do so which don't at this time exist and would need to be designed by an interested party with the technical capacity to do so. I noticed that there is now a PC ver of Magatsu Barai, though, which I assume would probably be a lot easier to dump text into txt from?

Can anyone here point me in a direction?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Extracting the ROMFS from a Switch title isn't hard once you have a copy of the XCI (cart) or NSP (download). The rest depends entirely on the game and engine though.

Seemingly Magatsu Barai is Unity so you'd want to open the assetbundles with https://github.com/SeriousCache/UABE and see what you can find. It might be part of C# scripts but more than likely they've got some custom script files and you just need to sus them out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

I did not enjoy Robotics Notes, unfortunately. Very slice-of-lifey, and one of the weaker protagonists. Never tried Dash

One thing I'll grant Robotics;Notes is that the "nadir" point of the plot was done very well. I like how they hosed up for completely preventable reasons and it had actual consequences (when they tested the robot and it fell on...Subaru? forget glasses guy's name). Normally stories like this will have such a situation be out of the characters' control and/or not be that serious.

On the other hand, I strongly disliked what they did with Misaki (or whatever the name of love interest's older sister was; it's been a while since I played this). Having it just be complete mind control (or being held mentally hostage, it's not really clear what was going on with that - I think it was a combination of the two?) was really lame and basically meant that the series didn't have any interesting antagonists.

Nate RFB posted:

Steins;Gate is the best sci-adv VN by such a margin that I'd be closer to just blanket grouping virtually all of the rest into a vague "just kind of mediocre" bin and I don't think liking S;G as a prerequisite is going to be indicative of any of the rest gelling with a person at all.

I think Chaos;Child is good and also a tier above all the other options. It doesn't stick the landing quite as well, but it does the mystery well and the humor works much better than the humor in S;G IMO.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Interestingly Chaos Child is the only major Sci-Ad that split the work among different writers. All the others are written primarily by Hayashi Naotaka (who also wrote the Hana route for Chaos Child).

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is there some kind of breakdown as to who did what?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

woodenchicken posted:

Is there some kind of breakdown as to who did what?

Hayashi Naotaka: Hana route, most of the common route delusion triggers

Takimoto Masashi: Common route (chapter 8, chapter 9 first half), Nono route

Tanizaki Ouka: Uki route, Nono route help

Umehara Eiji: Common route (chapters 1-2, chapter 9 second half, chapters 10-11), true route

Yasumoto Tooru: Common route (chapters 3-7), Hinae route, Nono route, Uki route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
This is bonkers. I was gonna skim through it again to look for ;Head references, now I'll also look at this cheat sheet to see how it lines up with my impressions (it had huge ups and downs).