Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

david_a posted:

You guys think he’s capable of setting up a website from scratch? Even if it’s probably just a service like Squarespace I can’t see him sitting still that long. I would totally believe there’s a lackey or two doing the boring stuff that Nathen can’t be bothered to.

I would assume that this is work that he just contracts out piecemeal. No one is going to stake their career by going full-time at Eegeez and I doubt Nathen could pay them a full salary anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

he used fiver for the ‘cartoon’ voice actors, so I’d reckon he’s paying whoever as little as possible for as few hours as possible

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Escape From Noise posted:

Friends Happiness Center

Which Portal game is that from?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nathen being so good at social media has been repeatedly posting on the new Egeez Linkedin today.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

please tell me where the "find our licensed stuff" sign is supposed to hang

like is this in toys r us? why isn't toys r us selling the merchandise, then?

is it in the licensed store itself? same question as above

it makes no sense, nathen.

(here's the worst part. egeez will end up getting bought out because it's actually a good idea for b2b (not b2c, like this guy thinks))

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

GolfHole posted:

(here's the worst part. egeez will end up getting bought out because it's actually a good idea for b2b (not b2c, like this guy thinks))

Why would they bother buying him out? It would probably be much easier to develop your own from scratch if the idea is actually useful. To avoid a potential future lawsuit if your idea is too similar to Nathen's?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not gonna get bought out because it owns nothing, does nothing, has no ideas, and no presence. If somebody wanted to create an actual licensing marketplace, Nathen wouldn't be standing in their way.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Offler posted:

Why would they bother buying him out? It would probably be much easier to develop your own from scratch if the idea is actually useful. To avoid a potential future lawsuit if your idea is too similar to Nathen's?

idk lol. i should have said that someone will redo it for its fated b2b purpose someday

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

A Pokémon Vegan Backpack is a pretty good username IMHO.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
to make at least one compliment, i kind of like his little 'e' logo, so props to whoever came up with that, i hope he ended up paying them

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GolfHole posted:

please tell me where the "find our licensed stuff" sign is supposed to hang

like is this in toys r us? why isn't toys r us selling the merchandise, then?

is it in the licensed store itself? same question as above

it makes no sense, nathen.

Here is the text of the post with the sign in it so you can try to figure it out:

quote:

Toy Stores worldwide can now onboard their licnesed stuff only on Egeez App to sell and promote the fans' favorite entertainment and cartoon brands.
Egeez will support you with brand assets just like this. Licensing.biz
>Onboard Now
https://www.egeez.com

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Interesting euphemism for “surprise proctological examination”

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I wonder if he's just ripping off YouTube thumbnail images for his ads now.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I know those ad but that words don't make any sense.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Doesn’t “vegan” in this context just mean the backpack isn’t made out of leather? How many non-vegan Pokémon backpacks could there possibly be?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Nathen probably thinks the backpacks are made of the pokemon, otherwise why would you call them "Pokemon backpacks" and not something catchy like "Pokeckpacks"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

why must all of his poo poo have the worst possible soy faces, it’s so offputting

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MassRafTer posted:

Thinking about how Nathen would conduct an internal investigation of Iggies.

Nathen slowly turns his head around the room, then he comes to the full height mirror. Sees himself, then slowly smiles and does the double barrel fingers at himself and giggles 'found you'

he then posts later that after an exhausting search that involved a massive effort from the HR division, the culprit was found but forgiven and went home with a bouquet of posies and was gently admonished to never do such a thing again

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I like the use of the registered trademark symbol, as though he’s actually gone to the trouble.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Binary Badger posted:

Nathen slowly turns his head around the room, then he comes to the full height mirror. Sees himself, then slowly smiles and does the double barrel fingers at himself and giggles 'found you'

he then posts later that after an exhausting search that involved a massive effort from the HR division, the culprit was found but forgiven and went home with a bouquet of posies and was gently admonished to never do such a thing again

https://youtu.be/xB1tKdhnGaE

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I'll be the first to admit I am really, really dumb but I still have no idea what the point of Iggies actually is. I can't make it out from all the buzzwords what it is supposed to do and why I should onboard it to entergage my clickables or whatever.

Why does this ad not actually show the vegan Pokemon backpack? Or is this ad showing the surprise of people at learning there even is such a thing. In short, what is this ad?! I feel like I'm slowly going crazy Nathen...explain yourself to me

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

:eyepop:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

it's the reference to the Powerpuff Girls that really convinced me that ol' quite young Nathen has his fingers firmly on the pulse of the current zeitgeist

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
And professional communications standards.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Steadiman posted:

I'll be the first to admit I am really, really dumb but I still have no idea what the point of Iggies actually is. I can't make it out from all the buzzwords what it is supposed to do and why I should onboard it to entergage my clickables or whatever.

You're not dumb, it's just hilariously nonsensical. There is no benefit to a business/brand/IP owner partnering with eGeez as described even if they were interested enough to carve their way through the fog of cargo cult business slang. It's Nathen's impression of a concept that a successful entrepreneurial venture would be based on. It's the closest to satire that sincerity can possibly come. It's just... nothing. It's not there.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
It's almost like...fraud!!!!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Steadiman posted:

No one does and that’s including Nathen. At the end of one of his “podcast” episodes he attempts to explain it to the guy interviewing him and gets increasingly agitated when the guy doesn’t understand what it’s supposed to do.

He calls it “Uber eats for licensing” excerpt licensing doesn’t work that way and Disney doesn’t really give a gently caress about people selling bootleg goofy dolls on AliExpress.

What he WANTS to do is somehow insert himself between major IP license holders and retailers but there’s no need or demand for such a service nor is there a mechanism to do so. Like, he aspires to be a useless middleman. That’s all there is to it.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 4, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Steadiman posted:

The idea / goal is to make a marketplace where everything is officially licensed, that's it. The benefit to consumers is presumably that they won't have to worry about buying knock-off / counterfeit merchandise, and the benefit to corporations is I guess not having to worry about knock-off merch stealing sales from the platform.

Maybe this is a bigger concern in the middle east or Asia or something cus like, I almost never worry at all if something I'm buying is a knock-off? This might be Nathen's attempt at making his own Wish / Aliexpress, since those sites are filled almost exclusively with cheap knock-offs. But that's also kind of why you shop at those sites, because you're okay with a cheap version of what you're buying. Not because you're unable to find a reliable source of authentic products.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

The idea / goal is to make a marketplace where everything is officially licensed, that's it. The benefit to consumers is presumably that they won't have to worry about buying knock-off / counterfeit merchandise, and the benefit to corporations is I guess not having to worry about knock-off merch stealing sales from the platform.

Maybe this is a bigger concern in the middle east or Asia or something cus like, I almost never worry at all if something I'm buying is a knock-off? This might be Nathen's attempt at making his own Wish / Aliexpress, since those sites are filled almost exclusively with cheap knock-offs. But that's also kind of why you shop at those sites, because you're okay with a cheap version of what you're buying. Not because you're unable to find a reliable source of authentic products.

The only thing I'm ever really worried about in terms of knock offs is clothes and shoes, the kind of stuff where licensing doesn't play into it. I don't know if it's because of where he's from, if he's easily scammed or if he's so enchanted with the idea of being a licensee that Iggy's makes sense to him.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Are we just going to overlook "bagpack"?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I can kind of almost see the seed of the idea. To compare it to something that exists, there's a website called ShuckStop - shucks.top - that specializes in tracking the prices of certain WD external hard drives that are desirable enough for their affordability and durability that people buy them just to remove ("shuck") the drive for use in their home servers. It's an incredibly niche need, but someone had enough interest in it to set up a website for it, and other people are interested enough to use it. A storefront just for legitimate branded products is also pretty niche, but if you just basically set it up as a catalog with a bunch of amazon affiliate links to pre-vetted merch it could probably generate some non-zero passive income. But because it's Nathen, it started with the idea "I want some of Disney's money to go through me because" and we're still kinda waiting for the rest of that sentence.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
If I’m being extremely charitable, it’s an attempt to solve the problem Amazon’s made for itself, where they obfuscate the fulfillment of a given product sale, lack guarantees as to the authenticity of the product, and commingle products from different sources.

I think the canonical example is how buying SD cards can be a crap shoot, where even if you order a name brand card sold, shipped, and fulfilled by Amazon, you can end up with a knockoff version that just pretends to be the capacity on the label, because they’ll somehow end up with bad product due to their insane supply chain.

Do I think Nathen and eGeez can solve this problem? No.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Steadiman posted:

Why does this ad not actually show the vegan Pokemon backpack? Or is this ad showing the surprise of people at learning there even is such a thing. In short, what is this ad?! I feel like I'm slowly going crazy Nathen...explain yourself to me

It's called "entergagement", and I'm afraid it's terminal.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Libra posted:

Lol. I didn't notice that.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Escape From Noise posted:

Lol. I didn't notice that.

We were all distracted by the more blatant misspelling of 'vagina'

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Libra posted:

holy poo poo, I guess we are

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Libra posted:

loving thank you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Steadiman posted:

It doesn't show any product, because he has no product to sell. It's communicating the idea that one day in the far future you might be able to find Pokémon merch on egeez for the purposes of ??? I wonder if him even using the Pokémon trademark at all is legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the idea is that if you are Toys R Us, you list all your licensed merch on egeez, and people can buy it there instead of going to your store. But it will be presumably listed alongside all of your competitors' offers like some sort of inbred Amazon? And you won't be able to show off all the items you are trying to sell that aren't licensed? And if you are already at the store, you can scan a code that will show you that the thing you are holding in your hands also exists on egeez, in case you needed to know that. And the benefit is that, um, more middle men is better?

This is the brainchild of a man who worships brands and marketing (despicable) but lacks the knowledge, curiosity, or frankly intellect to learn how the business side of those things works.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 4, 2023