Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Iran's about to get some freedom delivered

wait I'm sorry the freedoms backordered

I meant explosions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh man we're bringing back Roman soldier-farmers! Cincinnatus ftw!!!

honestly he’s a goat for sure

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Veterans to Farmers determined to expand farming opportunities for women Veterans

oh man we're bringing back Roman soldier-farmers! Cincinnatus ftw!!!

This Project Plowshare reboot blows.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smythe posted:

debateable. his failson murdered a pleb while he and cincinatus were trying to roll back the rights of the plebians so cincinatus was found liable for damages and had to pay his entire rich dude fortune in law suits except for the one field he had to work to not starve.
i guess he learned and did a growth by the time he got to be dictator by not being a dickbag again and abdicating power early but hes not some model of virtuous poverty, he was an anti-poor crusader that got owned.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

debateable. his failson murdered a pleb while he and cincinatus were trying to roll back the rights of the plebians so cincinatus was found liable for damages and had to pay his entire rich dude fortune in law suits except for the one field he had to work to not starve.
i guess he learned and did a growth by the time he got to be dictator by not being a dickbag again and abdicating power early but hes not some model of virtuous poverty, he was an anti-poor crusader that got owned.

No wonder he was a model for the "Founding Fathers"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hes probably part of the reason we didnt have an emperor george washington the first or whatever since gw wanted to be remembered the same way and similarly, abdicating power also made everyone forget the dumbass poo poo he did earlier too!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The early-mid Republic had a shitload of dictators that always stepped down when they were supposed to. Doesn't make sense why Cincinattus is the one people always jack off about.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cat botherer posted:

The early-mid Republic had a shitload of dictators that always stepped down when they were supposed to. Doesn't make sense why Cincinattus is the one people always jack off about.

its likely how the planets alligned for him to do some epic graft and stage a big comeback baby but he was like "imma rap this war up in 2 weeks and get home to harvest or my wife and i are gonna starve" instead of just ordering someone to do it for him

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nostalgicpoison/status/1631791342383931392

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ahh yes jomini, a sure sign you know what you're doing when you're trying to do StarCraft micro irl

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Smythe posted:

Greatest oppressor: all Tiber?

Frosted Flake posted:

Someday I'll be able to talk about the idiot we had come in proposing low level airdrops of supplies to the Panjshir Valley so that the "National Resistance Front" could out-Taliban the Taliban.

NOBODY out-Talibans the Taliban. Talk about a GOAT! Greatest Overthrower of America: Taliban!

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

all nations have constituencies who want money directed to them, and military procurement is a big gravy train. I think sometimes this thread sees these sort of issues as being US specific but I’m sure military procurement is wildly corrupt and produces pork barrelling the same way in Spain, in China, in Russia, in Denmark. the difference seems to be the pie is so much bigger in the US and that at least in China they realise that sure you make sure your hometown gets the contract for making tanks treads or whatever, but at the end of the day you still have to ship a plausibly working tank. parts of the US military (the Navy in particular) have lost the ability to even get to ‘plausibly working’ any more.

Well there is also the difference that if you gently caress with China's procurement then you will be punished, maybe even killed, rather than actively rewarded.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1631802704979689473

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1631924292505022464

going to go to war with china with artisanal handcrafted production rates for my air defense missile on botes

also wow 1 billion dollar frigates

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Danann posted:

also wow 1 billion dollar frigates

The new big 23,000+ teu containerships are like 250,000,000 plus anymore. so it’s like four new containerships.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

China can't sink our carrier fleets if we don't have the ammo to arm and then field them. Some real 12d chess maneuvers going on there.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
215 new missiles sounds like a lot to an idiot who can't count, and raytheon is happy to sell absolutely abysmal numbers of arms for all our budget

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Delta-Wye posted:

215 new missiles sounds like a lot to an idiot who can't count, and raytheon is happy to sell absolutely abysmal numbers of arms for all our budget

ahahaha russia is the one running out of ammo, as i

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Palladium posted:

a smart, modern, efficient military has enough munitions on hand for two good salvos. anymore than that is unnecessary redundancy

the nice man from mckinsey told me so

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i saw a chinese vid featuring a dissection of a downed iranian shaheed drone in ukraine, and it was full of american branded commercial chips

sounds like sanctions don't work very well on stuff that takes only a pallet load for a lifetime supply

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Its really funny how the US watched the Soviets crush the Germans and turn around and go we must learn from these losers if we want to beat the dudes that beat them. So we copied our NCO structure off them, we copied their helmetsz the MG-42, we made ridiculously large tanks that are supply beasts and now we do artisal orders fornmissles. Hilarious

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Palladium posted:

Every accusation is a confession with these people. It never fails.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Must be about time to do the good kind of invasion, my ennui is starting to act up again

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ppl hating on cincinatus smdh

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

ppl hating on cincinatus smdh

hating on every single roman senator is only right

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

atelier morgan posted:

Diocletian ftw

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Not So Fast posted:

Diocletian ftw

thanks for the feudalism, a-hole!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lol we're going ro give Ukraine F-16s

https://nypost.com/2023/03/05/ukrainian-pilots-evaluated-at-arizona-air-force-base/amp/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

It was unclear how long the pair of Ukrainian pilots had been in the US, but officials said their presence was not an indication that Washington had decided to send fighter jets to the war-torn nation.

“It’s about training them on their own planes,” the administration official said, “not about F-16s.”

That sentiment was echoed by Colin Kahl, under secretary of defense for policy, in remarks to congressional members Tuesday.

Kahl said even the most expeditious F-16 delivery and training schedule would take 18 months, “so you don’t actually save yourself time by starting the training early,” he said.

It would also be imprudent to train pilots on F-16s when NATO might decide to equip Ukraine with other types of military aircraft.

“They could end up getting British Tornados or (Swedish) Gripens or (French) Mirage aircraft, so you wouldn’t want to train them on F-16s,”
Khal said.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They really want to draw the west in. Like, what loving bases does Ukraine have that can’t be hit by cruise missiles? None. So the plan is only viable if the F-16s operate from places that can’t be struck, and hmm that seems like a dangerous game.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

Folks, you don't have to hand it to Cicero.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

They really want to draw the west in. Like, what loving bases does Ukraine have that can’t be hit by cruise missiles? None. So the plan is only viable if the F-16s operate from places that can’t be struck, and hmm that seems like a dangerous game.

almost like nazis have a death-drive

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ah, they're going for the good old let's you and him fight again. I'm sure we dumb euros will have learned after the Leopard storyline.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Its the loving WunderWaffe mentality. Ukraine had an airforce, it had tanks, but everything will be okay we if can just get the undefeated in colonial wars weapons. It doesn't matter that the abundance od AA on the ground makes any plane a short lived thing, the propaganda says they're unbeatable. I'm shocked they're not begging to switch out their SU-25s for an A-10

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sullat posted:

Folks, you don't have to hand it to Cicero.

antony hated him so much he took his hands off!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

antony hated him so much he took his hands off!

hot trick to stop someone from posting

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Unbelievable, Iran has been doing a genocide this whole time and needs to be stopped

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Unbelievable, Iran has been doing a genocide this whole time and needs to be stopped

the arabs and azeris cry out for liberation, we must invade

lol imagine all the deranged balkanized iran maps that people will produce

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

the arabs and azeris cry out for liberation, we must invade

lol imagine all the deranged balkanized iran maps that people will produce

Iran, like Russia and China are colonial empires that must be forcibly decolonized by the anti-colonial powers of The United States and the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ukraine war has made it easier for US to isolate China in the Pacific

To me this seems delusional