Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

I have some faith in Paradox about that because of how they handled Crusader Kings II --> III transition. Basic game was "most" of the old game's DLC in some form or another, some of the more esoteric ones removed, and with much better performance and UI.

My biggest fear is that they screw around with the scale, either making the new individual maps too small again, or that you need to play the metropolitan area and manually set up different individual towns to get the metropolitan area rolling smoothly and if you don't do that, you end up with a number of small backwater towns and slums. That's pretty much how all the previous city builder franchises have died out.

It seemed to work really well for Sim City 4, which dominated well into when CS came out.

Though I do agree I wish it had some bigger tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Here is hoping. Its a need of a proper sequel, and they have certainly been shown by the community and modders what people are very happy to tinker around with.

Slavik fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 2, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Region play is the #1 thing I want. SimCity 4 will always be the best city builder if they don't add that.

There's a billion other things but if they don't do regions my interest will be low.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Skylines is even in the same genre as SimCity 4 on only the most superficial level. Whatever C:S2 turns out to be, it's gonna resemble C:S1 a lot more than SC4. The world will continue waiting, probably forever, for 3D Modernized SimCity 4.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Region play is the #1 thing I want. SimCity 4 will always be the best city builder if they don't add that.

There's a billion other things but if they don't do regions my interest will be low.

Truth. My only “win the lottery” fantasy is rounding up all of the MAXIS folks who gave SC4 the magick, giving them my wishlist (which basically amounts to: bring this game into the true 3D world, remove the strict grid, and maintain the depth of the props/assets system and the economic basis [I want both dense and rural slums to be possible outcomes of my development decisions alongside rich dense and rich small towns and I want the game to just decide that based on how I support an area with infrastructure or not] of the simulation and take your time, you’re all getting paid no matter what so just get it right, I’m not EA, I don’t have shareholders and don’t give a gently caress about pleasing anybody but me here, and setting them free.

I want basically SC2013’s look merged into SC4, honestly. That game remains a landmark disappointment in my life.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm ready to give up on individual agent-based city simulations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

smr posted:

Truth. My only “win the lottery” fantasy is rounding up all of the MAXIS folks who gave SC4 the magick, giving them my wishlist (which basically amounts to: bring this game into the true 3D world, remove the strict grid, and maintain the depth of the props/assets system and the economic basis [I want both dense and rural slums to be possible outcomes of my development decisions alongside rich dense and rich small towns and I want the game to just decide that based on how I support an area with infrastructure or not] of the simulation and take your time, you’re all getting paid no matter what so just get it right, I’m not EA, I don’t have shareholders and don’t give a gently caress about pleasing anybody but me here, and setting them free.

I want basically SC2013’s look merged into SC4, honestly. That game remains a landmark disappointment in my life.

I would support this Kickstarter.

mutata posted:

I'm ready to give up on individual agent-based city simulations.

Cities are big enough that they're controlled by statistics, not individuals. The whole agent thing never was appealing to me.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I want a city sim with a sense of time, that goes from feet and horses through rail to cars.

Also one where having no affordable housing affects the model.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I want to pay the high cost of free parking

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be the only person who vastly prefers the traffic sim of CS over simcity and have zero interest in anything statistics based.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I like the agent-based traffic because I like watching it ebb and flow as I gently caress with the roads, but honestly - pedestrians could probably get handwaved. Neat to see them milling around but I'm sure the calculation overhead isn't worth it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Agents fail at traffic simulation because the scales between time, distances, and population/job counts are out of balance. Things that look like they should probably work, don't work because the amount of traffic the game wants to generate within a period of time doesn't fit the space given. Vehicles end up being too large relative to houses, meaning too few vehicles fit in what is a reasonable length of one block. Vehicles are given a movement speed that's easy to follow, but traffic lights switch at a rate that doesn't feel like an eternity to a player watching, meaning intersections let too few vehicles past at a time. The space given to build a city in is small, but players want to see big numbers and feel like they have a metropolis, so buildings are given larger population numbers than they ought so, so the density per house or per area is too high.

To make an agent based simulation give sensible results, you need to tune something in some way that will make it a harder sell as a game.

My best suggestion to what might perhaps work, is to by default run the agent sim basically as fast as it will go, in such a way that all traffic becomes a literal blur along the roads, becoming effectively a visual average of the traffic density. You can then push some button to switch to real time mode, where all the calculated agents materialize, and you can follow individual cars around. However you may also need to wait for one or two real time minutes for a traffic light to turn green.
One additional thought in this train, is to limit interactions while viewing in real time mode: Don't allow construction or modification or the city, to avoid all the oddities of materialized agents having to deal with roads disappearing and popping up instantly. Maybe allow using planning tools to draw out your ideas, and then switch back to simulation mode to let them be executed.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I like the idea, but I think it'll be a challenge to run the simulation fast enough. And you'd have to figure out how to render the visual averaging effect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have genuinely zero issues with the traffic sim in CS other than a couple of bits like how it handles lane usage sometimes, but I would be entirely happy with a game that just took some modded behaviour and editability for the traffic management and hooked it up to a more meaningful gameplay challenge. Add some more stuff like big buildings that work like the complex industries and services, use the pedestrian zone tech to make custom complexes for factories and stuff, design the entire game around building fun infrastructure to handle stuff.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imo for cities skylines 2 they should add a demographic sim to their traffic sim

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Thranguy posted:

I want a city sim with a sense of time, that goes from feet and horses through rail to cars.

Also one where having no affordable housing affects the model.

Transport Fever works as a bandaid for above. I’ve run modern trams on same tracks that once had horse drawn trolleys. And bullet trains on tracks that stayed in for 150 years.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I want new game engine, but also multiplayer. Anno 1800 in coop has been amazkng and CS would be great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I tried to boot up skylines after not playing for a year and I spent over 45 min just sorting out all my out of date and discontinued mods and replacing them with whatever they say the new mod is. But oh, this new mod also does the work of these 8 other mods, ok that's cool I'll delete those? Oh but I also need this other new mod.

What a nightmare.

I hope if CS2 is ever a thing they make it really good and nerdy out of the box so we don't need 100 mods just to lay nice train tracks and have basic quality of life poo poo. I'm fine curating tons of assets, that's fun and they don't really go out of date or break, but man... the mods...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
CompatibilityReport is a godsend for sorting out mod related issues. I can't imagine playing modded without it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I tried to boot up skylines after not playing for a year and I spent over 45 min just sorting out all my out of date and discontinued mods and replacing them with whatever they say the new mod is. But oh, this new mod also does the work of these 8 other mods, ok that's cool I'll delete those? Oh but I also need this other new mod.

What a nightmare.

I hope if CS2 is ever a thing they make it really good and nerdy out of the box so we don't need 100 mods just to lay nice train tracks and have basic quality of life poo poo. I'm fine curating tons of assets, that's fun and they don't really go out of date or break, but man... the mods...

I assume that CS2 will have some of the equivalent mod functionality built in because CO hired the people who made a number of them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the Colossal Order staff at this point is like 50% C:S modders they hired, so I suspect a lot of that grognard mod functionality will be integrated into the game itself.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the Colossal Order staff at this point is like 50% C:S modders they hired, so I suspect a lot of that grognard mod functionality will be integrated into the game itself.

Probably not into the base game, but I'm sure they'll add it all in the $500 worth of official DLC.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tornhelm posted:

Probably not into the base game, but I'm sure they'll add it all in the $500 worth of official DLC.

they haven't ever charged for UI features like that, and I doubt they'd do it now since they'd either have to neuter modding or people would just make mod alternatives before them

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

VostokProgram posted:

I like the idea, but I think it'll be a challenge to run the simulation fast enough. And you'd have to figure out how to render the visual averaging effect.

Use a statistical model as the core sim and have its data seed the agents spawned for real time mode. Use a background thread or two to precalculate stuff based on the state of the statistical sim and the current viewport and some clever wipe or zoom blur to disguise the transition.

It's probably a huge pain in the rear end.

What C:S needs to do IMO is to lie more.
Have the simulation group up buildings into units of two or three and simulate that, so it has better parity with vehicle numbers. (And make vehicles represent more people than it looks like).
Have vehicles pile up on top of each other when you're not looking so more cars can cross the intersection in a given traffic light period. Separate'em once they're out of view, or make'em invisible so it doesn't look ugly.
Stuff like that. More smoke and mirrors so your simulation can have its systems on the same scale (or close to it).

It's still a pain in the rear end tbh but wouldn't involve weird hybrid strategies.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 3, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Baronjutter posted:

What a nightmare.
Finally, the true successor to SimCity 4.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kyte posted:

Use a statistical model as the core sim and have its data seed the agents spawned for real time mode. Use a background thread or two to precalculate stuff based on the state of the statistical sim and the current viewport and some clever wipe or zoom blur to disguise the transition.

It's probably a huge pain in the rear end.

What C:S needs to do IMO is to lie more.
Have the simulation group up buildings into units of two or three and simulate that, so it has better parity with vehicle numbers. (And make vehicles represent more people than it looks like).
Have vehicles pile up on top of each other when you're not looking so more cars can cross the intersection in a given traffic light period. Separate'em once they're out of view, or make'em invisible so it doesn't look ugly.
Stuff like that. More smoke and mirrors so your simulation can have its systems on the same scale (or close to it).

It's still a pain in the rear end tbh but wouldn't involve weird hybrid strategies.

All of this, honestly. The statistical sim should be the "true" sim; the agent sim is aesthetic.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I haven’t citied in a long time but my 2 cents is that traffic should have two facets. A background statistical sim that determines the overall traffic load, and then a low count agent sim that is used to calculate a modifier that reduces your throughput when the agent sim gets jammed up by lovely road geometry, crossing lanes, and stuff like that.

This way the agent sim doesn’t directly interact with the other economic facets and can be used solely at intersections to keep that free form road building element that makes skylines special.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
In general I'm definitely the type that leans towards statistically based gameplay, but I'll admit going back to SC4 the traffic system does end up feeling shallow after Skylines.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've been posting an image a day in the leadup to the Monday event to create this mosaic:

So I'd say CS2 is pretty much certain.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At the very least, give me mixed-use zones and separation of density from wealth. Please. That's all I want. Everything else can stay the same, but I need those two things fixed.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Mixed-use zones would be fantastic, I have this pack of Brooklyn brownstones that have first floors that are like, convenience stores, doctor's offices, etc. but they obviously don't function that way and I wish they did

Slavik
May 10, 2009
The Paradox Announcement show starting in about 30 mins with "Multiple game announcements, new expansions, DLCs and game updates!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noM0fV4pyQY

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Paradox announcing new expansions and DLCs? :wow:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Paradox announcing new expansions and DLCs? :wow:

It's the Cities 2 announcement

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

This lady seems like she's mixing that fake american cumberbatch style accent with her swedish accent it's freaking me out

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

This lady seems like she's mixing that fake american cumberbatch style accent with her swedish accent it's freaking me out

lmao that's just the swedish accent.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
we're at the skylines segment now

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_h2OM2zFY

didn't expect the release date to be 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

raindrop agents confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hell yea! Excited to see what they do with it.