Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Godholio posted:

There aren't many scenarios where only bomb goes off. Moving perpendicular probably doesn't help.

I've never heard the iodine <40 thing, I guess because of a lower risk of thyroid cancer. Still not sure how that works, but good to know.

The moving thing only works for a single event, likely a plant going. Actual bombs... Yeah, we would get a bunch. Which is why that scenario doesn't get much attention from me, I would either already be dead or will be dead soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

There aren't many scenarios where only bomb goes off. Moving perpendicular probably doesn't help.

I've never heard the iodine <40 thing, I guess because of a lower risk of thyroid cancer. Still not sure how that works, but good to know.
As in the iodine as an anti-radiation poisoning is for younger folks. Because older folks are less vulnerable to thyroid cancer and more vulnerable to iodine complications. So the net risk-benefit is not to take it. But of cos, CDC states that speak to your doctor about this, lolz.

But Prussian Blue is suitable for all ages. So... what do you think?

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

ASAPI posted:

The moving thing only works for a single event, likely a plant going. Actual bombs... Yeah, we would get a bunch. Which is why that scenario doesn't get much attention from me, I would either already be dead or will be dead soon.
But why not just stock it? You can always decide whenever it happens, but it gives you an option. But I don't know whether this is being too paranoid. But then again Russia and Ukraine

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm gonna quote this from my own OP

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Threat Assessments
The first step in preparing for an emergency is determining what types of threats or emergency scenarios you’re likely to face. There are a variety of methods and ways that you can use to guide your thinking, from the more IT-security oriented threat modeling process to risk assessment matrices and many others, but at minimum, a good assessment exercise will entail examining the following:
  • The likelihood of an event
  • The severity of the event
  • Measures that can influence the prevention of the event
  • Measures that can mitigate the damage of the event

This basically means taking a look at your surroundings and doing a little research on issues or incidents that have taken place before. For example, while I live in a place that occasionally gets hurricanes or tropical storms, their frequency is generally pretty sporadic (low likelihood) and the amount of damage they have historically done to my sturdy brick building with nearby well-maintained trees and deep roots is minimal (low severity.) There’s not much I can do to prevent a bad storm, but I can mitigate it further by having a tarp or two and some duct tape so I can secure my windows or prevent water from coming in from my windows if they were to be somehow broken. Another example: if I live near a prominent landmark like a major monument, intersection or plaza, I may want to consider the impact to my area if there’s a major demonstration nearby- is there a history of similar events? What happened during them? How could this influence traffic? Do I have to worry about police firing tear gas?
Asking these types of questions and gaming how what could happen in your area can help guide the types of measures you choose to implement. One of the best features of emergency preparedness is that a lot of the ground work you do for one scenario can get you most of the way to preparing for others- for example, the stuff you’d do to prepare for a bad snowstorm can be equally applicable to a civil event that prompts you to stay indoors for several days.

A radiological event of any type would be an event of extreme severity but of very low likelihood, and the size of the affected area could range from blocks (due to a "dirty bomb", which were the threat du jour back in like 2003) to regions (accident at a nuclear power plant) or global if we're talking a nuclear war. If we're talking about the former two, honestly assess how close you are to likely TERRIST TARGETS and also to the closest nuclear plant. I live in Washington, DC, used to work within two blocks of the White House and the thought of a dirty bomb never crossed my mind. Why? Because I knew that if someone blew one up right outside of Lafayette Square, there would likely be little to no risk to me because tests have shown that dirty bombs aren't really that effective at spreading radiation. If you live near a plant, then you'd best be subscribed to your local emergency management agency's alerts, keep your vehicle well-maintained and gassed up and be ready to leave at a moment's notice with your important documents and supplies to sustain you when you reach a safe distance- all stuff that you should be doing anyhow as a general preparedness measure.

If there's a true international exchange of nuclear weapons, there won't just be one bomb. And even if you live in the middle of nowhere, it's likely you'll catch a nuke as well because that's where people- including important ones, or the military- will flee in an attempt to reconstitute itself. In that case, your best bet is to be piss drunk and right underneath it. There's also tons of other nasty types of radiation that are released when a bomb goes off, and KI and Prussian Blue are only effective at mitigating some of it.

If you feel like having anti-radiation meds on hand will give you peace of mind, then by all means go for it. But they should be pretty far down on the list of things you'd want to have on hand. Checked your smoke alarms and fire extinguishers lately?

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

If you feel like having anti-radiation meds on hand will give you peace of mind, then by all means go for it. But they should be pretty far down on the list of things you'd want to have on hand. Checked your smoke alarms and fire extinguishers lately?
Yup, I been reading from CDC, FEMA and Red Cross. So I got most of the simpler stuff already. I check the fire extinguisher annually. Hence, wondering what other fancy poo poo I should get.

I do think that I will feel happy and delighted to have Prussian Blue though. Since the time limit is 3 hours, it is basically impossible to expect the government to issue it to you. I live close by a major military installation, within fallout radius.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Can you even buy prussian blue anywhere? I looked a year or two ago and it required a prescription.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

Arven posted:

Can you even buy prussian blue anywhere? I looked a year or two ago and it required a prescription.
Yea, it does. Not over-the-counter.

Tell me more, please. Since you are also interested. What happened? What did you decide?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Fourier Series posted:

I have been thinking about emergency preparedness, and went to the CDC and FEMA website for their advice on stocking up. Apparently in the event of a close nuclear strike, there is radiation poisoning meds that you can take. It is known as Prussian Blue.

A bit over-the-top, I suppose, unless you live next to a nuclear silo. But the FDA label stated that it should be taken within 3 hours of radiation poisoning and I figured that that means you can’t rely on the government considering the very very short time imposed. What do you think about stocking up on this?

Hey there. I saw you pinged me in a different sub; sorry for the delay in answering, but I've been out of town. Prussian Blue is prescription-only and, if you are in good health, well tolerated. There are a few things docs say not to use it with (liver disease or arrhythmia, as examples), but for the most part it's not an issue. The problem is determining the correct dose for what your exposure was. I have no idea whatsoever how to do this, I'm afraid. I guess I put this in the same bucket as keeping other medicines around for the apocalypse - even if I did, would I know how to use it correctly? Would I know the right time to use it, even if I knew the correct dosing in theory? YMMV on that question, but it reminds me a bit of the people who self-diagnose infections and use aquarium antibiotics in spite of not really knowing what's infected them (except possibly less harmful than that).

Also, in the event of nuclear devastation I'm not sure I want to make it anyway, so I haven't really looked into it much. I have no delusions about where I'll be on the hierarchy of violent warlords of the Mad Max Afterscape - I'm either bitch or breakfast, depending on their preferences. :v:

OH - worth mentioning... there is a blue paint/dye called Prussian Blue. It is NOT the same. Do not ingest the dye. This should go without saying, but warnings like that usually show up on bottles and FDA drug guidances post-event, with a terrible associated story.

Sorry I can't help more; I'm not really on that side of the industry.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
GIP Emergency Preparedness: Do Not Ingest the Dye

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

Sundae posted:

Hey there. I saw you pinged me in a different sub; sorry for the delay in answering, but I've been out of town. Prussian Blue is prescription-only and, if you are in good health, well tolerated. There are a few things docs say not to use it with (liver disease or arrhythmia, as examples), but for the most part it's not an issue. The problem is determining the correct dose for what your exposure was. I have no idea whatsoever how to do this, I'm afraid. I guess I put this in the same bucket as keeping other medicines around for the apocalypse - even if I did, would I know how to use it correctly? Would I know the right time to use it, even if I knew the correct dosing in theory? YMMV on that question, but it reminds me a bit of the people who self-diagnose infections and use aquarium antibiotics in spite of not really knowing what's infected them (except possibly less harmful than that).

Also, in the event of nuclear devastation I'm not sure I want to make it anyway, so I haven't really looked into it much. I have no delusions about where I'll be on the hierarchy of violent warlords of the Mad Max Afterscape - I'm either bitch or breakfast, depending on their preferences. :v:

OH - worth mentioning... there is a blue paint/dye called Prussian Blue. It is NOT the same. Do not ingest the dye. This should go without saying, but warnings like that usually show up on bottles and FDA drug guidances post-event, with a terrible associated story.

Sorry I can't help more; I'm not really on that side of the industry.
Yup, thanks for the info. The manufacturer instructions, as per FDA website, states to consume standardised dose of 3g every 8 hours for 30 days, within <3 hours of radiation exposure. Yup, noted that it should be the prescription med, and not the industrial dye.

Come on, dude, have more faith in yourself. The local warlord will need you for meds production and logistics oversight. You would be a junior captain equivalent on the civilian administration side.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

hannibal posted:

GIP Emergency Preparedness: Do Not Ingest the Dye

At least the thread lasted this long before descending into fantasy role play levels....

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

ASAPI posted:

At least the thread lasted this long before descending into fantasy role play levels....
We were both semi-kidding about the warlord aspects.

I am dead serious though about my radiation meds. As I stated, I live close by a major military installation. It is a blatant obvious first strike-target. I have already mapped out a route to the nearest public bunker and prepared a go-bag. I think I can sprint there within a 8 to 10 minutes timeframe, or alternatively shelter in place. What is so evil about pre-stocking up on radiation meds? I am not taking food from other people.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

hannibal posted:

GIP Emergency Preparedness: Do Not Ingest the Die

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fourier Series posted:

We were both semi-kidding about the warlord aspects.

I am dead serious though about my radiation meds. As I stated, I live close by a major military installation. It is a blatant obvious first strike-target. I have already mapped out a route to the nearest public bunker and prepared a go-bag. I think I can sprint there within a 8 to 10 minutes timeframe, or alternatively shelter in place. What is so evil about pre-stocking up on radiation meds? I am not taking food from other people.

If you are near a "first strike" area planning for nuclear survival is pointless.

You are talking about a pill that will fix all of your ailes. This just won't happen. Absolutely everything needs to line up perfectly for your plan to even have a snowball's chance in hell of working.

I'm not saying attempting to stock a prescription only med is "evil". I am saying it is pointless. You are next to a primary target, there will be plenty of coverage in the area. Even with early warning, you would have to fight traffic/other people to get to your bunker (or whatever it is you plan on).

This thread was grounded in reality for a good while, not so much any more.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ASAPI posted:

This thread was grounded in reality for a good while, not so much any more.

Yeah, nuclear/radiation stuff has been discussed too much as it is. It's getting into zombie apocalypse territory at this point.

Fourier Series, if you return to this thread when you're off probation, please drop this topic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ASAPI posted:

I'm not saying attempting to stock a prescription only med is "evil". I am saying it is pointless. You are next to a primary target, there will be plenty of coverage in the area. Even with early warning, you would have to fight traffic/other people to get to your bunker (or whatever it is you plan on).

Traffic won't matter, they are going to sprint there (for 8-10 minutes).

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

OK, to get back on track-

In the first page of this thread, we talked about the importance of taking a Stop the Bleed course. But the gold standard for tourniquets- North American Rescue's Combat Application Tourniquet- is large and a bit bulky for everyday carry in a pocket or on your body somewhere. There's a company called Snakestaff Systems that recently came out with what they call their Everyday Carry Tourniquet, which is 65% smaller than a CAT and designed to improve portability. They defend the smaller size by noting that their band is the same size as the actual constricting nylon strap in the CAT, and also offer a 1.5" wide version as well.

Some people are concerned with it not being CoTCCC-recommended, although the manufacturers have reportedly submitted it for testing. I ordered a few and used one for testing purposes and found application to be about as quick and easy as applying a CAT, although I find the glow light to be a little gimmicky. I've been carrying one around, and I have to say I appreciate the smaller form factor. I have CATs in all of the packs I use on a daily basis/hiking/mountain biking, but I think I'll definitely keep carrying this.

Also, Guerrilla Tactical also has their KIS med pouch, which is meant to be worn IWB and contains gloves, Z-folded gauze and a set of Hy-Fin compact chest seals. I haven't checked that out, but it looks like it conceals well and the user can quickly deploy the contents.

Between these two things, you could have a pretty good blowout kit option concealed on your body, and it wouldn't print nearly as much as an ankle IFAK.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Illegal Hen
I run one of those Snakestaff ECT's on my ankle IFAK's and it's great. The micro chemlight easily breaks on but that doesn't affect functional use.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I live on a planet with a history of asteroid-induced extinction events. Does the thread have any recommendations the highest quality space suit available to civilians? Need to fill out my interplanetary bugout bag.

:troll:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

I live on a planet with a history of asteroid-induced extinction events. Does the thread have any recommendations the highest quality space suit available to civilians? Need to fill out my interplanetary bugout bag.

Just always know where your towel is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

As with anything:

Duck tape

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

look, all the really likely stuff falls under the 1-2 week long disaster thing. first aid kit, food, water, maybe a generator, sleeping bags... it's all been rehashed and it's boring to post about.

all the really cool unlikely mad max/fallout stuff has also been posted to death and is boring.

no, the fruitful avenue for speculation is the decade or so of strife while the government is being overthrown and the time before order of some sort of order really recoalesces. starvation rationing, black markets and barter systems, craft and repair work, joyless gardening. posts and opinions about these are what we should be getting posting mad at each other over

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

Yeah, nuclear/radiation stuff has been discussed too much as it is. It's getting into zombie apocalypse territory at this point.

Fourier Series, if you return to this thread when you're off probation, please drop this topic.
Noted that it has been discussed too much.

Is it ok if I still request a medical professional poster to comment, if any are willing? So far, it has been only common laymen like me.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fourier Series posted:

Is it ok if I still request a medical professional poster to comment, if any are willing? So far, it has been only common laymen like me.

Dude, call your doctor and see what they have to say about it. Stop trying to fish for your radiation med prescription.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Fourier Series posted:

I live with a doctor. Most of their work as a family doctor involves telling people to eat stuff other than flaming hot Cheetos and soda. Here's roughly how the conversation went:
-"would you prescribe something called Prussian Blue to someone who wanted it?"
-"I don't even know what that is"
-"It is a drug for radiation exposure"
-"why would they want that?"
-"so they can be ready of a disaster"
-"ohhhh they're prepers. I don't know, I'd have to read about it"
-"okay, what if you found out it wasn't particularly harmful or addictive"
-"sure, I guess"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cugel the Clever posted:

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

ASAPI posted:

Dude, call your doctor and see what they have to say about it. Stop trying to fish for your radiation med prescription.
I already did. He refused, stating that despite the adverse reactions being only constipation, that it was not his area of speciality and he was not comfortable with the risk (to him). He offered to refer me to his nuclear med co-workers.

CopperHound posted:

I live with a doctor. Most of their work as a family doctor involves telling people to eat stuff other than flaming hot Cheetos and soda. Here's roughly how the conversation went:
-"would you prescribe something called Prussian Blue to someone who wanted it?"
-"I don't even know what that is"
-"It is a drug for radiation exposure"
-"why would they want that?"
-"so they can be ready of a disaster"
-"ohhhh they're prepers. I don't know, I'd have to read about it"
-"okay, what if you found out it wasn't particularly harmful or addictive"
-"sure, I guess"
Ah, I see. Thank you for your assistance and information. I will try again tomorrow with another doctor.

Fourier Series fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 4, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

current events shady doc

hello my friend would you like to buy some iodine pills? perhaps an unscheduled covid booster? gender affirmation treatments? certainly, I keep those in back because the teenagers keep stealing them

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

The Voice of Labor posted:

perhaps an unscheduled covid booster?
I have gotten 5 COVID vaccines altogether by now (with the recommended intervals), including both the initial versions and the updated bi-valents. I read that some crazies were going around during the earlier phrase of COVID and getting 3 or 4 doses within a single day from different providers.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fourier Series posted:

I already did. He refused, stating that despite the adverse reactions being only constipation, that it was not his area of speciality and he was not comfortable with the risk (to him). He offered to refer me to his nuclear med co-workers.

Ah, I see. Thank you for your assistance and information. I will try again tomorrow with another doctor.

Ah, I see. Your doctor, a licensed medical professional with full knowledge of your health told you no. So the logical solution is to take to the internet and trust the strangers who are totally a "medical professional" for advice!

Guy, you are the reason I actively shun emergency preparedness sites/threads other than this one. Go play fantasy LARP whatever elsewhere.

If I'm wrong, someone who at least convincingly pretends to be sane please correct me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ASAPI posted:

Ah, I see. Your doctor, a licensed medical professional with full knowledge of your health told you no. So the logical solution is to take to the internet and trust the strangers who are totally a "medical professional" for advice!

Guy, you are the reason I actively shun emergency preparedness sites/threads other than this one. Go play fantasy LARP whatever elsewhere.

If I'm wrong, someone who at least convincingly pretends to be sane please correct me.

Seriously, this.

There's emergency preparedness and then there's fantasy. This is not a thread for fantasy.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

ASAPI posted:

No... the reason cited by him was legal and not medical. Therefore, your point is invalid.

Yea, he wasn't willing to look into the drug since it was just a quick visit for a unrelated minor issue. He did offer to have me pay for a consultation with his nuclear med co-worker, but I am kinda cheap

McNally posted:

There's emergency preparedness and then there's fantasy. This is not a thread for fantasy.
But I already did the basics recommended by CDC and FEMA last year. So, I am looking to branch out into the more "advanced" stuff.

Fourier Series fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 4, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fourier Series posted:

No... the reason cited by him was legal and not medical. Therefore, your point is invalid.

Yea, he wasn't willing to look into the drug since it was just a quick visit for a unrelated minor issue

But I already did the basics recommended by CDC and FEMA last year. So, I am looking to branch out into the more "advanced" stuff.

gently caress off out of this thread, then, if you can't follow basic instructions.

This thread does not exist for the gratification of your Dr. Strangelove fantasies.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

gently caress off out of this thread, then, if you can't follow basic instructions.

This thread does not exist for the gratification of your Dr. Strangelove fantasies.
Nah, I am finished. All the feasible advice has already been had, with the strong consensus being that it is not worthwhile although another doctor might not mind. I will just try my luck tomorrow and that is it, case closed for me regardless of the doctor's answer.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fourier Series posted:

Nah, I am finished. All the feasible advice has already been had, with the strong consensus being that it is not worthwhile although another doctor might not mind. I will just try my luck tomorrow and that is it, case closed for me regardless of the doctor's answer.

Great, don't come back.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He didn't even tip his fedora on the way out!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Fourier Series posted:

Yea, he wasn't willing to look into the drug since it was just a quick visit for a unrelated minor issue. He did offer to have me pay for a consultation with his nuclear med co-worker, but I am kinda cheap

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I struggle to reconcile someone who both considers themselves cheap and wants to stockpile prescription medication in case of a prolonged nuclear exchange.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Let's move on, please. I know you're trying to goad them into coming back but that's just not fair.

Funny, but not fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Curious about drug expiration and repacking. Does anyone know if there's a specific way most OTC pills are packed that extends their lifespan? I can imagine oxygen being mostly responsible for degrading drug effectiveness, so that the bottles are filled with nitrogen or w/e when getting sealed, which could mean that repacking a large bottle of pills into smaller kits would be a bad idea. Like repacking a big tub of freeze-dried veg into little pouches, kinda defeats the purpose.
OTOH, it could just be a nonissue where they're packed in normal atmosphere and the worst that could happen is contamination--obviously still a concern but something you could manage.