Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
evidence is when harassing a rando security officer in china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gettin word that covid 19 came from the military installation known as dítèlǐxī in the province of mǎlǐlán zhōu

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mossyfisk posted:

Notably absent: any evidence whatsoever

Literally all vibes lmao

it's hilarious because even the actual report from the dept of energy says it has 'low confidence' but it doesn't stop the media from going hog wild

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

work is sending me to Singapore in a couple of weeks, but I think I can get some personal time in while I'm there

anyone have any recommendations for places to hit up? this is actually going to be my third time, but I'm open to any suggestions

Get into gum chewing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

crepeface posted:

it's hilarious because even the actual report from the dept of energy says it has 'low confidence' but it doesn't stop the media from going hog wild

low confidence means there is no evidence that they arent showing us

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Get into gum chewing

"i'm here to kick rear end and chew bubblegum and im all out of rear end"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

work is sending me to Singapore in a couple of weeks, but I think I can get some personal time in while I'm there

anyone have any recommendations for places to hit up? this is actually going to be my third time, but I'm open to any suggestions

if u like whisky and dont mind paying singapore prices then check out the auld alliance. if its still there idk i havent been to singapore in 8 years. they had like 2,000 different single malt scotch and scotch style whiskys on the shelves on the wall and it was cool

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

gradenko_2000 posted:

what a coincidence, so am I

The Singapore flyer is fun and very pretty at night

because I am a goon I want to try and go to the ice cream museum: https://www.museumoficecream.com/singapore

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

gradenko_2000 posted:

go to a pharmacy and buy some enovid

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can't go wrong with the zoo or the botanic gardens.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

honestly afraid I couldn't control my loogie-hocking in Singapore

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

GoutPatrol posted:

what a coincidence, so am I

The Singapore flyer is fun and very pretty at night

because I am a goon I want to try and go to the ice cream museum: https://www.museumoficecream.com/singapore

dont post here

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Try to have sex in the Singapore flyer and see if you can get the whip.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1631639441755320320

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Trump's calling COVID the Kung Flu and the China Virus has been vindicated?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1631472002002288641

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I love this, oh they didn't warn us. Like every Western politican didn't go hey can't let the cure be worse than the disease sorry going to have to infect as many people as possible to keep the treats coming

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah that rock over there, yeah that’s an island, and that one too.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

uh huh, and how many of these "islands" conveniently expand japans national waters/EEZ

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

drake no: no lockdown for three weeks

drake yes: no lockdown for three years

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1631353164338196480

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
refreshingly bipartisan committee where the racist china haters and the turboracist china haters can come together in harmony

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

KomradeX posted:

I love this, oh they didn't warn us. Like every Western politican didn't go hey can't let the cure be worse than the disease sorry going to have to infect as many people as possible to keep the treats coming

China even published a guidebook on managing COVID-19 outbreaks, which America threw in the trash the moment they realized the virus mostly kills the poor and marginalized. Then when China succumbed to pressure and adopted a Western-style "let 'er rip" strategy, a million people died in two months.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I don't think a million people died in two months anywhere in the world

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

bedpan posted:

Trump's calling COVID the Kung Flu and the China Virus has been vindicated?

Yes. That is what the Biden admin is doing. Anyone who thought Trump was so bad because he stoked hatred of Asians now has this to deal with.

The woke establishment was all up arms because I called it the China virus. Now they're saying it, too. I was right! *arms out, raucous applause* I was right the whole time. *wins election*

But apparently you're safer if you get fat, so Asian American goons should be ok.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

remembering when andrew yang said the best thing asian americans should do when facing racism is to double down on american jingoism

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/gerryshih/status/1631734817212755969

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Yeah that rock over there, yeah that’s an island, and that one too.

Some seagulls are going to have to learn Japanese now

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Chamale posted:

China even published a guidebook on managing COVID-19 outbreaks, which America threw in the trash the moment they realized the virus mostly kills the poor and marginalized. Then when China succumbed to pressure and adopted a Western-style "let 'er rip" strategy, a million people died in two months.

Yeah that's definitely what happened

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

SorePotato posted:

Yeah that's definitely what happened

The first part did so he has it better understanding than all of Western Media

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al-Saqr posted:

its either a dog or a kid no other choices

New third option just for you.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
lmao what economic model is this. advanced neoliberal colonialism technique?
US chip subsidies alarm Korean companies with tough conditions

www.ft.com posted:

tough conditions revealed this week for companies taking advantage of a $39bn US federal fund designed to encourage advanced chip manufacturing in America.

Of particular concern is a requirement for companies to share some of their unexpected excess profits with the US government, according to a clause in commerce department guidelines unveiled this week for applications for funds from the Chips Act, passed by Congress last year.

The new subsidies are aimed at building a leading edge US semiconductor industry as part of efforts to counter China, but South Korean chipmakers such as Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix are worried about the implications as they plan to build plants in the US and still rely heavily on their chipmaking operations in China.

Seoul’s former trade minister Yeo Han-koo said the clause about excess profit-sharing seemed “problematic”, calling it an “unprecedented move charting a new territory that we haven’t seen in recent years”.

“Many companies may cry out on this. It may set a worrisome precedent for other countries who may follow suit,” he told the Financial Times.

The commerce department said companies that received more than $150mn would have to return some money to the government when they made returns that surpassed original projections by an agreed threshold. Samsung and SK Hynix said they were reviewing the 75-page guidelines, but declined to comment further.

The safeguards have been put in place to ensure the subsidy programme is not abused as chipmakers prepare to submit their applications. Samsung is building a $17bn foundry in Taylor, Texas, while SK Hynix is planning to build an advanced chip packaging plant in the US.

“We’re perplexed by these unexpected conditions. We’ve never seen anything like this for state incentives,” said an industry executive. “It is unclear how they will calculate excess profits. They want to take some of our profits when the business is booming but they won’t return our money when the industry is in a downturn. This will be a key point of contention.”

Yeo cautioned that the profit-sharing scheme would have huge ramifications for the industry. “It is a complex matter how to define excess profits. This will give the regulator a huge discretionary power in implementing it, while companies will be incentivised to set the threshold higher,” he said.

South Korean chipmakers have been caught up in growing US-China tech rivalry as Washington’s curbs on technology transfers threaten to weaken their competitiveness in China. Under the Chips Act, they are required not to expand capacity in China for a decade in order to receive federal funding.

The chipmakers are now awaiting details of the “guardrails” that have made them rethink their exposure to China. SK Hynix’s Wuxi plant in eastern China accounts for nearly half of its Dram memory chip production, while Samsung’s plant in Xian takes up about 40 per cent of its Nand flash memory output, according to analyst estimates.

“Now that Pandora’s box is open, this will deepen Korean chipmakers’ anguish over their future investment plans,” said Lee Jae-min, a law professor at Seoul National University and an expert in international trade disputes. “They will be worried that their sensitive R&D and financial information will fall into the hands of a foreign government.”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
:ironicat:
WHO “deeply frustrated” by lack of US transparency on COVID origin data

arstechnica.com posted:

While the World Health Organization says it's continuing to urge China to share data and cooperate with investigations into the origins of SARS-CoV-2, the United Nations' health agency is calling out another country for lack of transparency—the United States.

WHO officials on Friday said that the US has not shared reports or data from federal agencies that have assessed how the COVID-19 pandemic began. That includes the latest report by the Department of Energy, which determined with "low confidence" that the pandemic likely began due to a laboratory accident.
"As of right now, we don't have access to those reports or the data that is underlying how those reports were generated," Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO's technical lead on COVID-19, said in a press briefing Friday. "Again, we reiterate, that any agency that has information on this, it remains vital that that information is shared so that scientific debate, that this discussion, can move forward. Without that, we are not able to move forward in our understanding."
The DOE's "low confidence" conclusion has renewed a fiery partisan debate in the US over the pandemic's origins, with Republican lawmakers pouncing on the opportunity to start new congressional probes and criticize the WHO and China.

. . .

The DOE's "low confidence" assessment also doesn't lend the investigations the "momentum" that some lawmakers seem to suggest. The US intelligence community's standards for confidence in assessments, laid out in the 2007 National Intelligence Estimate (NIE 2007) Iran: Nuclear Intentions and Capabilities, explained that a "low confidence" assessment:

quote:

generally means that the information’s credibility and/or plausibility is questionable, or that the information is too fragmented or poorly corroborated to make solid analytic inferences, or that we have significant concerns or problems with the sources.

. . .
But, without knowing what data the DOE and FBI used for their low-confidence inclinations toward a lab-based origin, researchers and WHO officials are unsure how the assessments fit in with the publicly available scientific information collected so far.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Chamale posted:

The figure of a million dead isn't far off what people were predicting, but outside some massive pressure on hospitals in Beijing and Shanghai the outbreak doesn't seem to have been that bad. I believe the official final figure was 89K, figures like a million come from Western modelling of what they think happened based on the infection rate and number of reported cases.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Weka posted:

lmao shots fired

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

the little figurines are children too?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Weka posted:

summoned a djinn to paint my vast collection of warhammer figurines

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the evil djinn chose a white and yellow color scheme and it really wasnt good enough to pull it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

bedpan posted:

lmao shots fired

Hey I'm trying to be nice.