Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

whydirt posted:

Do these other houses have permanent corpses that can hold unlimited items? If not, hard pass

Yet another reason that the Council Club is the best house. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Just build your own house. Mine had a dagoth ur in the basement who repairs my gear.

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

I've spent more time thinking about Morrowind than playing it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Convoolio posted:

I've spent more time thinking about Morrowind than playing it.

I've spent far more time modding and fixing mods than playing it.

today's goal: find out what hosed up that MUSE is playing region folder music in places where it should be playing cell folder music. again. I already fixed this but it's doing it again

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

drat Dirty Ape posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44607

That's the house mod I installed. It's pretty simple and the alchemy sorting is neat. I use it in OpenMW and mostly chose it because most of the other options were a bit too over the top for me (castles filled with all kinds of crazy items, teleporters to wherever you wanted, etc). It does have some gear in it, but it's mostly fairly basic stuff. I also added it to an existing save and it didn't cause any issues (the key is in the room with Cassius if I remember right).

Thanks. Mod works fine, and I got everything I had stored in the Fighter's Guild barracks room and Tel Ulvirith all sorted.

Rahu posted:

Just build your own house. Mine had a dagoth ur in the basement who repairs my gear.

I'd like to add a Creeper/Drunk-Mudcrab style merchant in Balmora with a larger amount of gold so I can sell all the high-value gear I find faster and easier.

I don't think the Steam install comes with the Construction Set, but from a search, you can download it on the Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42196/

Only problem is adding a new room/merchant is probably a lot more complicated than it seems.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Thanks. Mod works fine, and I got everything I had stored in the Fighter's Guild barracks room and Tel Ulvirith all sorted.

I'd like to add a Creeper/Drunk-Mudcrab style merchant in Balmora with a larger amount of gold so I can sell all the high-value gear I find faster and easier.

I don't think the Steam install comes with the Construction Set, but from a search, you can download it on the Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42196/

Only problem is adding a new room/merchant is probably a lot more complicated than it seems.

It is so aggressively easy 14-year-old-me (who was an idiot (i am still an idiot but 14 year old me was impossibly dumb)) was able to make entire mansions with butlers and poo poo back in 2002. You can do it very easily.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F40uKFdlrxI

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

Amazing.

The Emba-5 guy will have to migrate to OpenMW.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Loading exterior -- Space

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The construction set also comes bundled in with the gog release. It is pretty easy to use except the controls to move the camera around in the 3d viewport are just the worst thing ever which complicates building big spaces.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man, poo poo got weird during the Reman Dynasty, huh?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

It is so aggressively easy 14-year-old-me (who was an idiot (i am still an idiot but 14 year old me was impossibly dumb)) was able to make entire mansions with butlers and poo poo back in 2002. You can do it very easily.

You're right. I found a video guide yesterday (this one), and was able to put together a room with a clone of Creeper with custom dialog and an inventory of 500,000 gold without too much hassle.

:v:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Might as well cut out the middle man and console gold imo

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I once felt a tinge of guilt about no longer wanting to bother with the boots of blinding speed and consoling up my speed but then I looked at the fortify speed alchemy ingredients and felt much better

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I remember modding Creeper to have 100,000 gold back in 2004.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rahu posted:

The construction set also comes bundled in with the gog release. It is pretty easy to use except the controls to move the camera around in the 3d viewport are just the worst thing ever which complicates building big spaces.

yeah I mucked around with the CS for a daft joke mod over Christmas and I have no idea how I ever tolerated those camera controls back when I modded seriously lol, couldn't put up with them at all nowadays

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

kazr posted:

Might as well cut out the middle man and console gold imo

I guess, but playing the game made me curious about trying out the construction set to make something. Making a vendor I could easily offload high-value gear onto felt more natural, and seemed like it would be more convenient in the long run than adding together all the gear I wanted to sell, going into the console to give that much gold, then tossing said gear in a barrel or something.

Rahu posted:

Yeah, the Construction Set camera controls seem very slow. I have to wonder, though, if there's some trick/fix to make them better, because if not, Morrowind modders should be commended for having the patience to put up with them on large projects.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I guess, but playing the game made me curious about trying out the construction set to make something. Making a vendor I could easily offload high-value gear onto felt more natural, and seemed like it would be more convenient in the long run than adding together all the gear I wanted to sell, going into the console to give that much gold, then tossing said gear in a barrel or something.

Yeah, the Construction Set camera controls seem very slow. I have to wonder, though, if there's some trick/fix to make them better, because if not, Morrowind modders should be commended for having the patience to put up with them on large projects.

Download the latest mwse and mgexe and you'll get the construction set extender that gives you some insane features

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381219559094616064/1062613348706959390/2023-01-11_01-04-52.mp4

It has a ton of snap to surface features

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
What the gently caress i never knew about this

are 20 years of janky fidgeting with poo poo finally at an end??

gently caress i dont have anything in mind to even gently caress around with and mod to try this out

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Aight so I got a great big pointless modlist installed and working with OpenMW, installed a few other mods I found on nexus that seemed fun (real telekinesis lol), and started a playthrough for the first time in probably 20 years. I played for a little while, and now I'm thinking I want to start over with a different build and maybe a little more thought put into my mod situation.

What are the advantages of using OpenMW over MGE? How hard is it to convert MWSE scripts to work in OpenMW (Hard, I'm betting)? A lot of mods look neat but require MWSE and/or MGE and I wonder if I'm missing out by sticking to OpenMW.

Are there particularly cool shader packs I should be using?

Are there any good mods that I'm going to have missed by just browsing the first 10 pages of the Nexus sorted by endorsements? I'm aware that I don't need anything, I just like loving my game up with cool poo poo. Really just a general "These mods are good in 2023" list would be nice.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cool Dad posted:

Aight so I got a great big pointless modlist installed and working with OpenMW, installed a few other mods I found on nexus that seemed fun (real telekinesis lol), and started a playthrough for the first time in probably 20 years. I played for a little while, and now I'm thinking I want to start over with a different build and maybe a little more thought put into my mod situation.

What are the advantages of using OpenMW over MGE? How hard is it to convert MWSE scripts to work in OpenMW (Hard, I'm betting)? A lot of mods look neat but require MWSE and/or MGE and I wonder if I'm missing out by sticking to OpenMW.

Are there any good mods that I'm going to have missed by just browsing the first 10 pages of the Nexus sorted by endorsements? I'm aware that I don't need anything, I just like loving my game up with cool poo poo. Really just a general "These mods are good in 2023" list would be nice.

Ignore everything and just play the game

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

mbt posted:

no

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Cool Dad posted:

Are there any good mods that I'm going to have missed by just browsing the first 10 pages of the Nexus sorted by endorsements? I'm aware that I don't need anything, I just like loving my game up with cool poo poo. Really just a general "These mods are good in 2023" list would be nice.b

I just got a setup going through Mod Organizer 2 that was pretty easy to set up and I haven't had problems yet. I basically just ran MGE with a Vurts tree and groundcover packs and it looks pretty good to me. Obviously if you add a ton of new textures, meshes and shaders to everything it will look "better", but I don't think it looks like Morrowind anymore. I also tried a large mod pack originally recommended on the Morrowind Reddit, but it was a pain and my game kept crashing.

I just picked mostly game mods from the top of the nexus modlist too and they are pretty good so far. The only thing that really bugged me as somebody who hasn't played in a long time was the repetitive dialogue. I know a lot of people don't recommend it, but I use the LGNPC mod. I think the two worst plugins are Peligliad because of the bad writing and Ald Velothi because of the tasteless writing. I also got a modern UI from the nexus, whatever one of the earlier one's on the top list was. I'm also using Django's Dialogue which hasnt had any issues with LGNPC yet, and adds just more overall dialogue to the game.

I also think some of the big ones like Rise of House Telvanni are always worth it, but I haven't gotten around to it in game so I don't think I could recommend it yet. Same with Suran Underworld and the Less Generic Neravine, Less Generic Bloodmoon and Less Generic Tribunal.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

mbt posted:

conversely do like me and spend an entire month collecting mods and then three more months stitching them together so they work together and you end up with a 600 mod morrowind that's nothing like when you first played it and it's finally the familiar experience but new for the first time in forever....... it's sane and not frustrating at all i promise

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cool Dad posted:

OpenMW has much better performance. I can't stress enough how much smoother OpenMW is compared to the vanilla game and that alone makes a huge difference in playability. In terms of graphics capabilities, it's kind of a toss-up imo. OpenMW has better shadows, including character shadows which MGEXE does not have, but MGEXE has slightly fancier shaders available (which I don't even use personaly). Really, the difference between the two is becoming minute, especially as more people switch to OpenMW and develop for it. Used to be it was obvious when a screenshot was in MGEXE vs OpenMW, now I can't tell the difference most of the time.

OpenMW-Lua isn't as developed as MWSE-Lua. I think pretty much everything that can be ported from MWSE to OpenMW at this point has been, but yeah, there is a lot of MWSE stuff that relies on capabilities OMW-Lua doesn't have (yet). On the other hand there are some mods that are only available for OpenMW. Personally, I only use a couple of MWSE mods and I'm pretty sure most if not all of them have OpenMW equivalents at this point. Honestly, the only reason I haven't fully switched over to OpenMW is because I can't port my own MWSE mod over yet and it's the only one I consider essential lol

If you've got OpenMW set up and running already just play the game. The vast majority of mods don't require MWSE.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 5, 2023

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
OpenMW: easy to set up, improved animations

MGE: annoying to install, supports AshFall (the only good gameplay overhaul mod)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bunch of babies ITT.

MGE is trivial to setup compared to mod merging and moving landscapes to avoid conflicts.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Necronormiecon posted:

OpenMW: easy to set up, improved animations

MGE: annoying to install, supports AshFall (the only good gameplay overhaul mod)

how is mge annoying to install? openmw is 10x as hard and has to deal with ini importing and uis made by linux devs

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gurragadon posted:

I just picked mostly game mods from the top of the nexus modlist too and they are pretty good so far.

searching the top all time on nexus gets you a ton of old or outdated mods that have newer better equivalents. timegate your search to like, 2019 or something at hte start of the nu-modding renaissance

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49231

e.g. you wouldn't have found bcom which is the best city overhaul mod ever. if you use rebirth you are loving yourself

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

mbt posted:

searching the top all time on nexus gets you a ton of old or outdated mods that have newer better equivalents. timegate your search to like, 2019 or something at hte start of the nu-modding renaissance

e.g. you wouldn't have found bcom which is the best city overhaul mod ever. if you use rebirth you are loving yourself

Good tip, i'm going to run a search again and see what I missed. I think BCOM is an all timer at this point though, or I just went deeper into the list than I thought. I've been using it and your right, it's excellent. The only Vivec city mod I like more was a real old one that made all the cantons open air.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

That does look cool, and a lot easier to use.

I'd have to wait until I finished my current game, though, because I'm using OpenMW currently. Plus, when I do finish, I'd probably go back to Skyrim for a while first, because I put together a modded Skyrim early in February, only to get hooked on Morrowind.

-

As for progress in my current game, I managed to complete the main quest and defeat Dagoth Ur. From there, I jumped right into the Tribunal expansion.

I like the area/setup of Tribunal, but it seems like the game cranks up the difficulty seemingly out of nowhere. There's a quest where you help a Nord search the sewers for his friend, and I ran into a group of Goblins who managed to beat me up pretty badly. Prior to that, I did the quest where you stand in on the play, and the assassin that attacks seemed tougher than the DB assassins you fight down in the sewers.

The worst, and the one I'm most curious about, is Gaenor, the Wood Elf you meet when entering the Temple District. I talked to him and gave him 50 gold, but when he asked for more, I looked at the wiki and saw the results of talking to him, and...why? I thought maybe it wouldn't be too hard to defeat him later, but even making use of the enchanted items I had on hand (mainly Aryon's Helper), I had to use Recall to retreat back to Balmora. Tried going back with the Daedric Crescent, but he has Reflect, so the Paralysis effect was no use. How I was finally able to beat him was a strategy outlined on the Notes section of the UESP page where you quaff two dozen bottles of Sujamma and boost your health to 1000 to just kill him in a few hits.

I'm just kind of shocked by how he's executed in the game. If you decided you weren't going to play Morrowind without a guide, or if you were playing Tribunal at launch, you'd have no idea that just by talking to this one NPC, you were effectively spawning a super-boss. It's not the first time I've seen something like in a game (see: Star Ocean 2), but never in a way that it prevents you from traveling through a area you need to frequent or pass through normally.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tribunal has some really cool parts and writing but basically everything in it is executed terribly lol

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gurragadon posted:

Good tip, i'm going to run a search again and see what I missed. I think BCOM is an all timer at this point though, or I just went deeper into the list than I thought. I've been using it and your right, it's excellent. The only Vivec city mod I like more was a real old one that made all the cantons open air.

This is the open Vivec mod I'm using, I get pretty good fps and no conflicts. It is fully compatible with Concept Art Palace which is one of the coolest mods.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49336

If you're looking for ideas, I've found its good to check out the pages of the better mod makers like Merlord, the N'Wah Team, Danae, Randompal etc. Darkelfguy's YouTube has lots of modjam winners to check out as well. Just use wyremash and you won't have any problems.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 5, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Tribunal has some really cool parts and writing but basically everything in it is executed terribly lol

Honestly when it came out the biggest thing everyone was excited for were the scripting improvements.

It was more like a modding showcase that has you interact with the rest of the tribunal and see a bit of the mainland. The extra ingredients were cool too, as was the Ultimate Underworld-style stacked design.

e: And yeah I've been playing this game on and off for two decades. I still remember the excitement when I got the game running for the first time - I read some raving reviews but it was hard to imagine, I thought it was going to be more like gothic or some other action-rpg like that. And it was so much more.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 5, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

This is the open Vivec mod I'm using, I get pretty good fps and no conflicts. It is fully compatible with Concept Art Palace which is one of the coolest mods.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49336

If you're looking for ideas, I've found its good to check out the pages of the better mod makers like Merlord, the N'Wah Team, Danae, Randompal etc. Darkelfguy's YouTube has lots of modjam winners to check out as well. Just use wyremash and you won't have any problems.

Another good idea, I had a mods from Merlord and Randompal already, you would say there all good quality?

Pretty much a beginner modder, can you use wyremash with MO2? Is it included or is it launched through it? Wyremash is the one that merges mods or something to minimize conflicts right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mbt posted:

this is exactly me and now i'm like well gently caress if i install this now it's probably gonna gently caress my mid-game playthrough isn't it

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gurragadon posted:

Another good idea, I had a mods from Merlord and Randompal already, you would say there all good quality?

Pretty much a beginner modder, can you use wyremash with MO2? Is it included or is it launched through it? Wyremash is the one that merges mods or something to minimize conflicts right?

Don't use MO2. Follow Danae's guide and just use wryemash.

https://danaeplays.thenet.sk/wrye-mash/

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

what the heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

Eh im just gonna skip doing all this, I wanna play Morrowind and if I start into this its gonna turn into the modding Morrowind game. I didn't even download the right version of wyremash you were talking about the first time.

Why not MO2 though for next time? It seemed to work pretty well.