Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Fusion was a bit more linear than, say, Super Metroid, there's generally a prescribed path for a lot of the game. It's sort of a concession to it being a handheld title, it's deisgned to be played in relatively short stretches such that if you're away from it for a bit and then come back, you won't be hopelessly lost because you forgot where you were going. It's a bit like Metroid 2 for the original Gameboy that way. That said, it does open up a bit in the latter bits as you can start breaking out of the intended path (which is actually something of a plot point)

I've heard that Super Metroid's nonlinearity wasn't very well received in Japan, which would maybe indicate why when they finally revisited Metroid they went with a more linear, guided approach. Which maybe the maturation of metroidvanias as a genre in their own right outside of either Metroid or Castlevania might be what promoted the return to more classic form with Dread.

I also get the impression that after the videogame industry started getting reliable translation for Japanese games, Japanese devs started to prefer way more text/dialogue-heavy games that closely guide the player entirely unlike the classic NES/SNES era, and these days it's more likely that more silent unguided experiences will be from American devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I appreciate Dread for having wall jump in it, for those Metroid veterans coming straight after playing Super. Samus may lose her abilities, but she doesn't forget her sick skillz.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

Not to mention mechanics like the charge beam combos and crystal flash not being documented anywhere
They were documented in Nintendo Power.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I like the missile upgrade early in Fusion that can be easily obtained if you can walljump. It seemed like a very clear wink to Super players.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
super metroid and zero mission are basically in a different genre than fusion and dread because they have single-wall walljumping

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Super Metroid isn't good because it can be sequence broken. It can be sequence broken because of the ways in which it is good. It has extremely nuanced controls and physics that are expressive and exploitable. The world design is multi-faceted and organic, lacking in constructed barriers beyond some colored doors. In order to prevent players getting overly frustrated with being lost or not making progress, the game definitely opens itself up and offers multiple similar paths towards different kinds of progress.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

scary ghost dog posted:

super metroid and zero mission are basically in a different genre than fusion and dread because they have single-wall walljumping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqkg9TKRyVo

You were saying? :smug:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Holy fuckin poo poo

Does that open up any new sequence breaks? I haven't played since a few months after launch but did some of them like early gravity suit, it was fun as hell

drat I should play dread a few more times

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Nah. Most of its utility is in making Kraid phase 2 faster since you can just hop up to the spider magnet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Nah. Most of its utility is in making Kraid phase 2 faster since you can just hop up to the spider magnet.

Still laughing at not 1, but 2 quick-kills for Kraid, depending on your preferred sequence break.

early bomb or early phase-shift

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

Not to mention mechanics like the charge beam combos and crystal flash not being documented anywhere

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They were documented in Nintendo Power.
Shine sparking, infinite bomb jump, alternate charge beams, and the crystal flash are all shown in the game itself if you let it run through its attract mode.

As for Fusion, I'll be the dissenting viewpoint and say that it was my very least favorite Metroid game until Other M happened, so here's my two cents:

Keep in mind, day of release, I didn't give a single poo poo about Metroid Prime and was all the way hyped for Metroid 4.

But then right out of the gate, it was the first Metroid game without outstanding music, which would be a drag, but it's not just that it's not great. It's bad. It's irritating. Tinny. It's not atmospheric in the slightest.

It was the first Metroid game to railroad you so completely on both a story and gameplay level that you never once feel in control of your own destiny. Metroid up until that point (and at that point, since Prime was released on the same day) was about dropping you off somewhere lonely, scary, and downright beautiful and letting you go on a meandering exploratory journey of adventure where you set the rules. Suddenly, it was about being given permission to do things and a terribly-written computer giving you orders and preventing you from going where you want. It was the first Metroid game to make both Samus and the player subservient. This would be fine if it was trying to do something that could only work under those constraints, or if it found ways to tie that itself to the theme, but it wasn't. It was just lazy.

It's the first Metroid to take place in an environment that in no way felt like a world. It was a series of video game levels with a hub world. That's not Metroid. I would step over my own mother to see Zebes or Tallon IV. You couldn't pay me to visit the BSL station. 'Course, they're all blown the gently caress up now anyway. :-P

I'd list its good parts, but every single good thing about Metroid Fusion was built upon and done better in Zero Mission. It's a game for completionists more than a destination unto itself. It's the Metroid game you play when you're out of better Metroids and want to keep going.

Which places it above the game to be avoided at all costs, but that's just damning with faint praise.

Seriously, though. Play Zero Mission. It's incredible. I mean, hell. Play both, 'cause I'm weird and you'll like almost certainly like Fusion. But it's like they listened in to all of my thoughts and fixed literally everything I didn't like.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
zero mission is godlike but fusion does do one thing better than every other 2D metroid: beam upgrades look and feel insanely powerful in it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Super Metroid isn't good because it can be sequence broken. It can be sequence broken because of the ways in which it is good. It has extremely nuanced controls and physics that are expressive and exploitable. The world design is multi-faceted and organic, lacking in constructed barriers beyond some colored doors. In order to prevent players getting overly frustrated with being lost or not making progress, the game definitely opens itself up and offers multiple similar paths towards different kinds of progress.
This is dead on and extremely well-put to boot.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Fusions wave beam is the coolest poo poo ever and I'm disappointed Dread doesn't have the cool helix effect.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fun randomiser fact: Fusion has single wall jumping if you get the screw attack without getting the space jump.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

scary ghost dog posted:

zero mission is godlike but fusion does do one thing better than every other 2D metroid: beam upgrades look and feel insanely powerful in it

ChaseSP posted:

Fusions wave beam is the coolest poo poo ever and I'm disappointed Dread doesn't have the cool helix effect.

:hmmyes:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I think of the more on-rails nature of Fusion as just one more way the story is emphasizing that Samus is weakened and recovering. It's all over the game, from the Fusion Suit missing a lot of the Power Suit's armored appearance, or the different way she holds her arm cannon, or the SA-X continually forcing you to run and hide. Fusion makes you feel limited and constrained, and then it gradually gives you that power back, be it Samus getting back parts of her suit or going further and further off the beaten path or no longer being quite so helpless against the SA-X up until the end when she can finally defeat it.

Like, gameplay-wise I can understand not liking it as much, but until Dread Fusion had the best narrative work of the series by a lot, and would even if you cut out all the talking sequences. It's got a good grasp of doing something deliberate with the gamefeel. I can understand liking Dread's work in that department more, though, since it gives Samus more opportunities to do cool things.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Seriously, though. Play Zero Mission. It's incredible. I mean, hell. Play both, 'cause I'm weird and you'll like almost certainly like Fusion. But it's like they listened in to all of my thoughts and fixed literally everything I didn't like.

I played zero mission so much I broke the L button on my GBA. Zero Mission owns and still holds up great.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

It was the first Metroid game to railroad you so completely on both a story and gameplay level that you never once feel in control of your own destiny. Metroid up until that point (and at that point, since Prime was released on the same day) was about dropping you off somewhere lonely, scary, and downright beautiful and letting you go on a meandering exploratory journey of adventure where you set the rules. Suddenly, it was about being given permission to do things and a terribly-written computer giving you orders and preventing you from going where you want. It was the first Metroid game to make both Samus and the player subservient. This would be fine if it was trying to do something that could only work under those constraints, or if it found ways to tie that itself to the theme, but it wasn't. It was just lazy.
They... they did though? The entirety of metroid fusion's plot and atmosphere works beautifully precisely because you're always constrained on where to go to, hunted by the SA-X and at odds with your CO. Coming away with the take of "they didn't do anything with it, the devs were just too lazy to design a world where they didn't have to tell you where to go" is completely insane to me

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I have funny feelings about Zero Mission.

Zero Mission's sequence "breaks" are all so authored. I know there's been some recent clipping developments, but ZM's Unknown Items and heavily scripted epilogue and stealth sequences, and the way Power Bombs are gated off and shape the 100% route, end up feeling very artificial and patronizing.

Despite this, the actual game feel is spectacular and the secrets are very well laid-out. It's an incredibly densely designed world. It just feels too designed.

Dread and Zero Mission can feel very similar, but Dread being glitchier (psuedowaves, shine sinking, escaping water using corners and bombs, etc.) makes speedrunning and sequence breaking feel extra good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LividLiquid posted:

This would be fine if it was trying to do something that could only work under those constraints, or if it found ways to tie that itself to the theme, but it wasn't. It was just lazy.

you just described the themes of Metroid Fusion and then said that they aren’t tied into any theme

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think fusions is easily the best 2D Metroid but I don’t particularly care for the free range backtracking that it doesn’t really have

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DoctorWhat posted:

Zero Mission's sequence "breaks" are all so authored. I know there's been some recent clipping developments, but ZM's Unknown Items and heavily scripted epilogue and stealth sequences, and the way Power Bombs are gated off and shape the 100% route, end up feeling very artificial and patronizing.

Despite this, the actual game feel is spectacular and the secrets are very well laid-out. It's an incredibly densely designed world. It just feels too designed.

Dread and Zero Mission can feel very similar, but Dread being glitchier (psuedowaves, shine sinking, escaping water using corners and bombs, etc.) makes speedrunning and sequence breaking feel extra good.

I agree with you. Zero Mission is cool until the final bit where you have to run back through the entire world to pick up a bunch of power ups gated behind the screw attack and power bombs just for the sake of collection. It feels very forced and inorganic and is my least favorite thing about the game.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, if it wasn't for Dread having those glitches then it would have been designed just like Zero Mission in regards to sequence breaks; ie everything carefully planned out for players to figure out. The open ended stuff of Super was great, but not something to ever really expect again, especially from Nintendo. If you get really nuts in Super it's possible to completely gently caress up your save file and get stuck, and I guarantee Nintendo devs aren't fans of leaving stuff like that in on purpose.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah, Dread wasn't supposed to be quite as broken as it is. But it is broken in fun, interesting ways and most of those glitches were passed over during patches so there's a degree of intentionality too.

But more important than intent is result, and the result of Dread is I think better than ZM.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"I hate going back to old areas with new items to get stuff I couldn't get before!" ~ Metroid Fans

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you get really nuts in Super it's possible to completely gently caress up your save file and get stuck, and I guarantee Nintendo devs aren't fans of leaving stuff like that in on purpose.

You don't have to get that nuts if you're a dummy who saved at the bottom of the wall jump shaft and can't figure out how to get out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

You don't have to get that nuts if you're a dummy who saved at the bottom of the wall jump shaft and can't figure out how to get out.

It’s almost all recoverable somehow. Super does have a hilariously high skill ceiling for SNES, though. Hell, there’s even a speed run category for reverse boss-order, where you’re doing Lower Norfair without a Varia Suit and somehow coming out on top somehow.

I had the game as a kid and went too far exploring into Tourian, only to find out after I’d saved at that final station that there was no going back to the surface to collect anything you missed :cry: That’s the only truly unrecoverable point in the game that I can remember.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, Dread wasn't supposed to be quite as broken as it is. But it is broken in fun, interesting ways and most of those glitches were passed over during patches so there's a degree of intentionality too.

But more important than intent is result, and the result of Dread is I think better than ZM.

I wouldn't say there was intentionality so much as the devs know that this is a Metroid game and as long as the glitches weren't game breaking then there was no need to remove them.

HINT HINT RETRO. :colbert:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I for one am glad we have both Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, which offer two unique variations of the Metroid experience. Fusion works for me because it bakes the limitations into the narrative and then subverts it. Other M did the same thing later but the reasoning made no sense, the gameplay itself was awkward and mediocre, and the broader narrative just sucked.

That said, I was very happy when Dread went back to the classic formula. I loved my second playthrough where I looked up sequence breaking techniques and got to experience the game very differently.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think the planned “sequence breaks” are an important part of the experience. Being able to get items in different orders and skip past the obvious objective is cool, but it’s good for it to be possible while playing the game normally, rather than the game being purely linear unless you clip out of bounds or wrong warp or whatever.

Sometimes you can get lucky and have your game’s glitches allow for sequence breaking without breaking the logic of the setting (I still prefer the 1.0 gamecube release of Metroid Prime because of it), but the most likely outcome is that it’ll only happen if you deliberately allow for it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bleck posted:

"I hate going back to old areas with new items to get stuff I couldn't get before!" ~ Metroid Fans

That's all well and good for a first playthrough but the fun part of a speedrun is optimization and Zero Mission cuts off a lot of opportunities for optimization and routing by so strictly dividing the collection into halves.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bleck posted:

It absolutely sucks rear end in Zero Mission that you get power bombs pretty much right in front of the end boss’s door and the only way to get 100% if running back through the entire game to collect items that didn’t become available until that moment. Also, power bomb expansions feel like they only exist to give you another thing to collect. Other games allow you to get to the final boss door and already have 100%. Idk man I really don’t like that design choice!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Tbh power bomb expansions always feel way more disappointing than missiles or etanks just from barely using them in the first place.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Poopy Palpy posted:

I absolutely love sequence breaking and super Metroid is awesome for it. Shine spark, hell runs and wall jumping let you do all sorts of crazy stuff. The biggest unrecoverable situation, I believe, is if you get to the Maridia boss without gravity suit, you can’t get out without weird glitches or preplanned glitching. But I think even that save room can be escaped without anything glitchy back to the rest of the game.

It’s funny, dread has something very similar if you get to the gravity suit via the speed running corridor without diffusion beam, you’re similarly unable to escape.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Tbh power bomb expansions always feel way more disappointing than missiles or etanks just from barely using them in the first place.

Dread is the only time I’ve ever used them outside of opening doors, and even then it was just like 3-4 in the last phase of Raven Beak. Do they even do good damage against bosses in Super? I’d have a semi-rough chuckle if a better way of killing Ridley fast was always right there.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Yeah as much as I loving love Zero Mission, the fact that the last e-tank is literally right before the final boss door does feel a bit silly.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ChaseSP posted:

I was happy about every single one of them because fighting splitting metroids in the crater sucks so much rear end and I was bad at Metroid Prime & the platforming so powerbombs were a godsend

not so much in the 2D ones beyond "oh I'll jst check the whole room for destructable blocks, hyuck"

But yeah a big issue in every Metroid is that the missile upgrade to get you from 240/255 to 245/255 is not the most exciting reward and some games hide that better (e.g. by having less stuff in total to collect) or make it feel more worthwhile (Prime with the buster combos and Dread with the actually good storm missiles for sure), while others struggle hard to make them relevant.

Sadly enough, Zero Mission both fails at making upgrades relevant late and makes them impossible to collect earlier, so the final collection loop just feels really bad!!

This is btw something where the Castlevania side of things is usually better: collecting stuff with late-game upgrades in early-game areas feels perfectly fine in e.g. Dawn of Sorrow because
- you could always get another soul drop that you don't have yet or makes one you use better, same for other drops
- the upgrades are more varied due to the flexible equipment system
- you level up as you kill your way through the enemies
- there's often a secret final boss or a superboss that makes leveling up relevant
- money drops from candles if you have full MP, you don't need to spend MP to kill early-game enemies, so you get a bunch of cash on the way for free

Not to say that Metroid necessarily is worse, it's just easier for CV games to avoid that problem!

EDIT: vvvvvv :hfive:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Power Bombs are vitally important in Metroid Prime because Fusion Metroids are little pieces of poo poo and MP can summon them in its final form and I’d much rather nuke them than try to fight them. Getting the expansions matters a lot, especially on hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

LividLiquid posted:

Shine sparking, infinite bomb jump, alternate charge beams, and the crystal flash are all shown in the game itself if you let it run through its attract mode.

Some of these are fair, but there's no way you could just watch the attract mode perform the crystal flash and intuit how it's done. There isn't a popup on the screen to tell you to hold L+R+Y+↓ after the power bomb.